Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,406 members, 7,808,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:03 PM

Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat (3007 Views)

Dear Food People, I Need Ur Early Intervention / Extremely WEIRD Food People Eat Around The World (Pictures) / Hi Food People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by Noah13: 7:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
1. Balut

No, you’re not dreaming, this is real. In the Philippines, Balut (Balot) is a partially-developed duck or chicken egg, boiled whole in the shell and a street food favourite. From the beak to the feathers, the entire embryo is commonly eaten with condiments such as salt, chilli, garlic and vinegar. It’s also popular in other Southeast Asian countries like Vietnam and Cambodia.

2. Casu Marzu

Brimming with live insect larvae, this Italian cheese might just bite back. These tiny maggots form in cheese that has been matured to the extent of decomposition and can jump as far as six inches! It is made by removing the rind from Pecorino cheese so the cheese fly is able to lay its eggs. When it’s finally ready to eat, Casu Marzu will be extremely soft and contain thousands of maggots.

3. Snake Wine

In need of a little pick-me-up? Believed to have invigorating properties, this snake and alcohol concoction is a popular drink in Vietnam, Southeast Asia and Southern China. It is made by steeping a large venomous snake or lots of small snakes into a jar of rice wine. The potion is then left to infuse for several months before being drunk as a shot. Don’t worry because all that alcohol is said to denature the snake venom so it is suitable for consumption. Whatever you do, don’t try this one at home.

4. Century Eggs

Century eggs have been a Chinese delicacy for erm… centuries? Made by preserving eggs in clay, ash and quicklime, century eggs get their distinctive black colour from a long period of preserving. After several months, the egg white turns into a translucent jelly and the yolk develops a strong sulphur taste and greyish green colour. Fancy a bite?

4. Kiviak

The Inuit staple Kiviak is the hollowed-out body of a seal filled with hundreds of Auks (that’s a black and white bird to you and I). The body is then sewn up, placed under a heavy rock and left to ferment for several months before being opened up and enjoyed throughout Greenland’s harsh winter.

5. Fugu

Remember that episode of The Simpsons when Homer consumes poisonous pufferfish in a Japanese restaurant(if you watch the show)
? Well it’s actually a real thing under very strict laws in Japan due to the high number of potent neurotoxins in the fish. The chefs preparing it must train for at least three years before being able to prepare it, making Fugu one of Japan's most famous and controversial dishes.

6. Cock Combs

These bright red, fleshy crowns typically seen on roosters, male turkeys and pheasants are popular all over Europe. Commonly used in stews and as garnishes, preparing them is a labour of love. First you must remove all feathers with a flame, and then soak them in lemon juice before carefully peeling off the tough outer layer.

7. Black Ivory Coffee

Known for being the world’s rarest and most expensive coffee, this is a caffeine kick you’ll never forget. Coffee beans eaten by elephants are later (some time later) hand-picked from the deposited droppings, dried and then roasted. This process is said to give it notes of chocolate, malt, grass and spice.

8. Frog Legs

Although famous with Europeans travelling to France, it is a common mistake to believe that frog’s legs are only eaten in this part of the world. They are popular everywhere from Indonesia and India, to Mexico, Brazil and the Caribbean. They’re known for their mild, chicken-like texture and are surprisingly rich in protein and omega-3.

9. Fried Brain Sandwiches

Famous for their deep-fried creations, the USA makes our list with their Fried Brain Sandwiches. Calves brain is dunked in a thick batter before being deep fried and sandwiched between two hamburger buns. Brains are said to be soft, melt-in-the-mouth and heart-stoppingly rich

10. Cuy Bien

As a staple protein in Peru and other parts of South America, guinea pigs are more than just a pet – they’re an important street food too. These furry creatures are said to taste similar to rabbit and are usually served deep fried or grilled with rice and plantains.

11. Deep-Fried Tarantula

If you have arachnophobia, stop reading now. Over in Cambodia deep-fried tarantula is a speciality street food sold all over market towns. Usually around the size of a human palm, these spiders aren’t for the faint hearted. The legs are crispy, while the head and body contain white meat similar to that of crustaceans.
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by Genea(f): 7:41pm On Nov 16, 2014
Well dey eat dis disgustin foods and dey r smart well dere is no harm in trying one.mmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by kowema(f): 7:48pm On Nov 16, 2014
Snake why Ewwww!,Brain Sandwich Gross!!!!
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by Mrfils(m): 11:33pm On Nov 16, 2014
Balut=cruel

Tarantula =actually one of d world's deadliest spiders. Why risk ur life?

And from legs? Why not jst at d entire frog if u must eat 'em at all.
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by Nobody: 7:31am On Nov 17, 2014
yuck! *pukes*
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by Bawss1(m): 1:09pm On Nov 17, 2014
This is why not everyone is sane. Disgusting!
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by hahn(m): 1:46pm On Nov 17, 2014
Mrfils:

And from legs? Why not jst at d entire frog if u must eat 'em at all.

There is more concentration of meat around the legs of the frog hence the reason why they might only sell frog legs at certain restaurants. Same as some restaurants that sell only cat fish head peppersoup because its a delicacy.

Still, I thought frogs are poisonous and I've only eaten toad meat and its very delicious. Tastes like chicken

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by Mrfils(m): 2:15pm On Nov 17, 2014
hahn:

There is more concentration of meat around the legs of the frog hence the reason why they might only sell frog legs at certain restaurants. Same as some restaurants that sell only cat fish head peppersoup because its a delicacy.

Still, I thought frogs are poisonous and I've only eaten toad meat and its very delicious. Tastes like chicken
U eat toad. Ohh!
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by hahn(m): 3:34pm On Nov 17, 2014
Mrfils:

U eat toad. Ohh!

Yeah, and I also eat dog meat. Tastes better than chicken
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by Mrfils(m): 3:37pm On Nov 17, 2014
hahn:

Ohh grin.. Cool
I don't though
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by BluePearls(m): 5:10am On Nov 18, 2014
Ok...I'm going to puke now.
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by engrjacuzzi: 7:43am On Nov 18, 2014
hmmm.......men eating creatures since 18BC
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by hahn(m): 1:27pm On Nov 18, 2014
Mrfils:

Ohh grin.. Cool
I don't though

You should
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by pretydiva(f): 4:50pm On Nov 18, 2014
Y won't dey ve Strange ailment ..ewww
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by Nobody: 11:34am On Nov 20, 2014
hahn:

Lwkmd.....guy if you had eaten toad meat you should probably be dead ....let me explain it to you....what you ate was frog meat.....frogs also known as konko in yoruba language is thin one(the edible ones)toads also known as opolo on yoruba language is the fat one(the poisonous ones).........so which did u eat again?I.e frog is edible toad is poisonous
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by hahn(m): 12:08pm On Nov 20, 2014
shoyemiayodeji:

Lwkmd.....guy if you had eaten toad meat you should probably be dead ....let me explain it to you....what you ate was frog meat.....frogs also known as konko in yoruba language is thin one(the edible ones)toads also known as opolo on yoruba language is the fat one(the poisonous ones).........so which did u eat again?I.e frog is edible toad is poisonous

im glad you brought this up. i guess i ate frog. ive been arguing with my landlord and some other people over this issue. apparently, i ate the edible one since im still alive.

Lol
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 20, 2014
Maggots in cheese.....eewww
half developed chicks......double eewwww
coffee beans from elephant shit......triple eeeewwwww (makes you wonder who invented it in the first place)
fermented birds in the body of a dead seal......eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
I was still screaming over the snake wine....then I saw the Tarantula
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Exits thread in a hurry

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by passionate88: 6:23pm On Nov 20, 2014
WTF?.
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by passionate88: 6:32pm On Nov 20, 2014
hahn:

Dog meat pepper soup all the way
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by kelechiMarie(f): 2:07pm On Nov 21, 2014
People eat rooster combs here in Nigeria,they say it's the sweetest part of a chicken
Re: Some Of The Most Shocking Food People Actually Eat by asalimpo(m): 1:01am On Nov 23, 2014
hahn:

toads are terribly poisonous (and uglier). Frogs are sleeker. So u probably ate frog. I've never heard anybody eatg toad but i know ppl eat frogs.

(1) (Reply)

Can I Use Groundnut Oil To Cook Egusi Soup? / Do You Know A Fruit Commonly Called 'ebelebor'? What About Its Nutrient & Uses? / Advertise Your Brand On Busy Pedestrian Bridges In Lagos, Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.