Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Help! My Car Is Consuming Engine Oil And There's No Smoke From The Exhaust - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Car Is Consuming Engine Oil And There's No Smoke From The Exhaust (4711 Views)

My Lexus RX 300 Is Consuming Lots Of Fuel, I Need Help,forum!!! / HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Car Is Consuming Engine Oil And There's No Smoke From The Exhaust by Sunymoore(m): 8:19pm On Nov 18, 2014
icemann:

Your car is worth about 300k (assuming) you want to spend 80k on it( I assume the engine is 50k+labour+accessories + other expenses= 80-90k)

So you spend 80k(and my go up to 100K if you decide to fix the steering) on a 300k car that's 1/3 of the value of the car .

But if you sell the car and add the 100k(repair cost) + find like 50k more you can get a better looking car at 450k.
450k wouldn't get you the best car but this time shine your eyes. do enough research before you make a move.

You can't be sure of the new engine because most cars of that model in the junk yard are over 200k miles. The chances of getting a good engine from the junk yard is low. My personal opinion would be keep your eye on the oil as you save for a newer car, let someone else deal with the fixing burden. Since you car is not smoking you would find a buyer.
Thanks. I'll do as you just said. I'm grateful bro.
Re: Help! My Car Is Consuming Engine Oil And There's No Smoke From The Exhaust by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:58pm On Nov 18, 2014
icemann:

Your car is worth about 300k (assuming) you want to spend 80k on it( I assume the engine is 50k+labour+accessories + other expenses= 80-90k)

So you spend 80k(and my go up to 100K if you decide to fix the steering) on a 300k car that's 1/3 of the value of the car .

But if you sell the car and add the 100k(repair cost) + find like 50k more you can get a better looking car at 450k.
450k wouldn't get you the best car but this time shine your eyes. do enough research before you make a move.

You can't be sure of the new engine because most cars of that model in the junk yard are over 200k miles. The chances of getting a good engine from the junk yard is low. My personal opinion would be keep your eye on the oil as you save for a newer car, let someone else deal with the fixing burden. Since you car is not smoking you would find a buyer.

And they were beefing me when I said buy new engine.

Bro I love your analysis.
Re: Help! My Car Is Consuming Engine Oil And There's No Smoke From The Exhaust by icemann(m): 9:20pm On Nov 18, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Thanks

But buying new engine would not help.

Cost of car before new engine = 300k
Cost of car after 80k to 100k repairs = 300k

So where is the economic advantage of the new engine?
If he wanted to keep it cos of sentiments (ie classic cars or child hood fantasy) you don't do an economic analysis on it
Re: Help! My Car Is Consuming Engine Oil And There's No Smoke From The Exhaust by Sunymoore(m): 5:26am On Nov 19, 2014
Thanks boses. I'm greatful. I'll do just as you suggested. Thanks
Re: Help! My Car Is Consuming Engine Oil And There's No Smoke From The Exhaust by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 19, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

I said buy a new car! Am right after all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mercedes GL450 V Range Rover Vogue V Lexus Gx470 / Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? / Nissan Murano Vs Infiniti FX35. Please Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.