Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,432 members, 7,781,260 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:24 AM

Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 (18506 Views)

Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2015 (Discussion Thread) / Nairaland Detection Club 2 - 2014. For Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014. / Nairaland Writers Collaboration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by Nobody: 2:37am On Dec 08, 2014

Rimi looked with a stiffened throat. His strength could not work here, he looked at them. Almost immediately, a 'pop' sound came from somewhere close. The man crumpled to the floor, his gun clattering on the floor and disturbing the eirie silence that had captivated the night. Another came into view, Rimi sighed it sure was going to be a long night and his dream was coming to pass, and he had to prevent it soon, or else they were all going down.

He saw Uche looking at his fingers. Uche used to do that whenever they were in trouble. He and Rimi had certain codes for every trouble. If Rimi pointed three fingers, it meaned 'run for your life'. Rimi trembled as he saw the silencered gun the man was holding.

“Well, Well... I'm sorry for disturbing your meeting, but I need to get this Christopher away from...” He paused, narrowed his eyes. His gun still pointing at Christopher's head. Christopher had dropped the gun in his hand. He looked at the people standing. A very big smile grew on his lips.

“Oh My Goodness!!! Rimi, little daddy's girl miss Adamu, and the deceitful Tonia.” He said a wry smile curving on his lips pointing his gun at each of them. “So, you people are working together,” he said and smacked his forehead, “poo! I should have known... I should have known,” He looked at them, still smiling. “Well, it's not too late. I will just take all of you away, and you... Mr. Man...Oh! You must be Uche? The guy who got the girl?”
Uche looked on like a stature. His eyes still moving to Rimi's finger, he was praying internally that Rimi had not forgetten their quotes.

“You lot are...”
A loud shot rock the air, hitting the man on the back of the neck. The noise of the gun almost sounded like banger. The shot came again, hitting Christopher on the right thigh. Rimi pointed the three fingers. Uche put his hands on Tonia's head and bent with her. Rimi pulled Zainab nearer and they ran to the barricading side of Uche's car. They opened the doors and all entered. Christopher leaped towards the car also.

“Hell no! He isn't coming with us, he almost killed us!” Tonia screamed as the shooter shot severally at the car

“Lady, this man is injured, he's as harmless as a puppy, besides he's my good friend, he was just scaring you guys.” Rimi lied, and helped Christopher in, Tonia said nothing more.

A guy was coming out of the dark. Uche started the car, his head bent to prevent any bullet entering into it.
He stepped on the accelerator.
The person shot his gun again, the bullet struck the back glass, shattering it. The ladies in the car shrieked.
They raced on. Rimi looked back and noticed that a car had started following them on full speed.

“We've got a tail. You need to lose him,” Rimi said, “do you have any valuable in this car?” Uche shook his head. “Good! We will be going back to the eatery. Zainab's car is there, we will drop your car there, then we will use Zainab's car to go to your house.”

“What about the police?” Tonia asked desperately, “won't they trace the car to us?”
“ They can't,” Uche said, “we have useless police services in this country. I'll go and get it a in a day or two.”

“Those guys are still following us!” Zainab announced.

“I know what to do,” Uche said.

End Of Chapter Eleven

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by KingzPen(m): 7:53pm On Dec 09, 2014
CHAPTER TWELVE

THE CHASE

Screech! Having thought of a better way to leave in the dust the red salon car sleuthing them, Uche threw the gearshift forward, raising the speed another notch, turning the wheel of the car to the right, and then forcefully stepped on the accelerator.

It was midnight, and the once busy streets of Cedar Point had returned to their serene. Fewer vehicles on the road, free sidewalks, and no traffic rules, making it a perfect environment to put to a test his driving expertise.

“Y’all fasten your seat belts. Quickly!” Uche brightened the headlights. “Baby, come on be fast with that.” He threw a glance at Tonia, who struggled pulling out the seat belt from its case.

Pow!

“Uche come on! Take the next turning and stop going north.” Rimi advised, as he peeked at the speeding foes, tactically measuring the distance between them. “They are getting closer.”

“Do I need a prophet to tell me that? My ears are still well functioning, and could pick the sound of a gunshot miles away.” Uche focused on the road ahead. He wasn’t familiar with this town as he did Double-R, which made his decisions slow and inaccurate.

Who actually were these guys? Kassim was dead, and One-Bullet also shared in his death, bleeding Christopher almost asked. He panned his head right to meet Zainab’s steady gaze. She had watched his lips move without a sound, looked keenly at his pumping chest, studying how he breathe, wondering the pain he endured. She’d kept her pity eyes on him ever since he yanked the car-door closed.

“How do you feel?” Zainab mouthed. She wished to remain mute till the whole chase halts, but her emotions went in search for an alternative.

He nodded, in summary of what he should have explained, because how he felt was totally complicated. A smile tugged at his lips as Zainab gave him the little treatment she could afford at the time, her bright smile.

“Who are these guys?” Tonia’s instinct pricked, shooting a look into the side mirror. “Baby any idea?”

After a long pause, much too long as if he didn’t know the question was yet unanswered, he mumbled, “ask Rimi and his entourage. They’re sure in the best position to answer that question. Not me.”

Uche glimpsed at the rear view mirror. The bad guys were now close, very close. He jerked forward, as he wiped away the sweats that trickled into a corner of his eye.

Pow!

He swerved the car. They were never going to surrender to a challenge Uche felt they’d already won. Feelings could be deceptive. The red salon car sped closer to them, now, fender to bumper.

Gosh! This definitely would not happen. He took the next turn into another street, which apparently was under construction. It was a dead-end street.

“Men! We are dead. This bastards have us already.”

“Shut up Rimi! Can’t you be optimistic for once. At least just this one time in your whole life.” Uche let out an evil grinned, clutching more tightly to the steering wheel in fury.

Rimi squinted, looking far-off into the dark street. “Oh my Gosh! That’s a tractor. Are you kidding me?! This is a dead-end street.”

Uche smiled. He couldn’t help but imagine Rimi’s fears and doubts about his driving skills. He was right! It was a dead-end street.

Screech! He pulled up the hand brake on motion and immediately turned the steering wheel one full circle. He declined the hand brake, swiftly, changed the gear and stepped on the gas. And before the red salon car could fathom the magic Uche performed, it crashed into the still tractor, parked few meters ahead.

“Yes! They are dead. Wow! That was awesome.”

“Thought we were all dead some minutes ago when we encountered a dead-end street, huh? Be optimistic for once Rimi.” Uche threw a glance at him. “So, where to now?”

“Your house...we have to get this man treated.” Rimi looked at Christopher, who gasped for life.

It caught Tonia’s notice, the bright fluorescent headlight of a car, shining from afar, behind them, just as she turned to check how Christopher was coping with the pain, even though she wished he had died the moment he was shot.

Oh no, not again! Staying back in Cedar Point would be a bad idea. Uche saw, vividly, from the rear view mirror that the red salon car had resurrected, and now after them all over again. This just must be about the key. The key he now knew Tonia knew about, which could eventually get her killed. No way was he going to let that transpire, not even to the one housing his first child in her tummy. He dismissed the scary thought of being caught, that sneaked its way into his petite mind, then whizzed down to Double-R Town.

Even at night, Double-R Town smelt the same, a smell of danger. He turned off the ignition and placed his head on the steering wheel, tired. The silence was loud, loud enough to hear the plop of a frog jumping into a stagnant water. And the chirping sound of the crickets filled their ears.

“...been asking you ever since the reason for we coming down to Double-R, but you kept mute.” Rimi unclasped his seat belt, then came out of the car.

“Oh Rimi, not you again... I’m dead tired.”

“Where are we?” Christopher managed to say after some rounds of cough.

“Double-R, we are in Double-R.” Zainab broke her silence. “How are you feeling Chris?”

He groaned.

“Rimi! He’s dying. Help him.” Zainab yelled.

Though she wanted him dead, Tonia still rushed out of the car to help get Christopher to a more soothing place. But Uche didn’t move an inch from where he napped, having thought about Rimi’s sudden appearance. It was fine he appeared only if his memory were still frozen.

Rimi and the two ladies assisted Christopher out of the car to a shed in front of an isolated hazel bungalow. And just as Tonia and Rimi were about walking back to the car, Christopher said, “take me inside.”

His thigh was affected and not his brain, Tonia thought. “Christian or what’s that your name? What are you saying?” She said, with a puckered brow.

“Hey! Tania easy on the dying guy.” Zainab rolled her eyes at her, wishing she could peek into the future to observe how she shot her in the head.

“It’s Tonia, as in Anthonia. And not Tania.”

“Whatever.”

“It’s okay girls, come on. Stop behaving like babies struggling for a bosom.” Rimi inched towards Christopher and crouched beside him. “Chris, Chris, what’s up with you man?”

“This is my house. Get the keys from my coat and take me inside.”

Rimi had no doubt that Christopher was being truthful. He had bought the house from a missionary two weeks before he visited Kalakuta. Rimi dashed to the car and returned with the bunch of keys. Not only was Rimi happy that his head would sleep under a roof, but he was extremely glad that things were working according to his plan, having the exact two out of his many foes under the same roof. He opened the door and groped along the wall for the switch.

“Bring him in.” Rimi called out to the two ladies, standing just beside Christopher.

He inched into the housed, feasting on different shapes and objects his eyes could behold. This house had been abandoned, sure it had, seeing the cobwebs that ruled the corners of the ceiling. The very dusty green leather sofa, the grimy cream curtain, and the sneezy scent that consumed the whole room.

His weight almost wrecked their shoulders as they successfully helped him into the house. Zainab feared Christopher couldn’t hold on any longer. His recurrent gasps said a lot about his state of life.

Thud! Christopher dropped to the floor.

END OF CHAPTER TWELVE

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:05pm On Dec 11, 2014
CHAPTER THIRTEEN

WRITTEN&SUBMITTED BY; HBG

[size=20pt]NIA[/size]

Christopher's blood splashed on the white carpet staining it like a scarlet lipstick on a bride's wedding veil as he landed on the floor with a thud. He flinched, it felt as if a hot knife had just been plunged into his hip, boring through the skin, cutting the muscles and resting on his hip bone.

“Goddanmit!” He cursed nobody in particular. Rimi ran towards him and the group carried him up to a couch as he cried out in pain. He watched as Zainab knelt beside him while Rimi waltzed upstairs. Tonia and Uche were in their own world, talking in hushed tones.

His gaze was fixed on the cobwebs as they hung loosely on the corners of the ceiling like Dumbledoor's long beards unattended. They were on the windows too, plumes of dust erupting from every surface as the midnight air breezed in through the open window giving the house a musty smell. He coughed, startling Zainab.

“Christopher?” Zainab was shaking him, “Please stay with me, we just need to stop the bleeding.” She assured him avoiding his eyes.

“Can somebody please get me water, a towel and a basin?” She asked not looking up.

“In this house? Hell no!” Tonia mocked behind them, Chris grunted.

Tonia had her back on them, connecting the television which was not giving way, Uche was nowhere to be seen. Christopher despised her even more. She had no business being there, he could have just shot them when the opportunity knocked on his door. But deep inside he knew he had no heart for that, his job was to work on the technical side of things, not the other way round.

Dino send him there to kill him, he flinched when he realized he'd been played for a fool, as the pain penetrated his heart, piercing it like king Arthur's sword. He was shaking as if he has high fever, running his trembling hand over his thigh he almost threw up at the thought of what he had touched. It felt wet, soft and warm. He jerked up to look at it, Zainab had just cut his pants, fighting to stop the blood.

“Let me see.” He begged her, she moved a bit, it looked like a navel on an orange. It burned his bones, his skin, his tissues, his whole body was on fire.

“We need to get the bullets out Christopher.” Zainab's eyes were filled with tears, he fought the urge to let the sting of tears welling on his eyes to spring down his cheeks. He swallowed hard, his adam's apple sticking out.

“No,” his voice was in whispers. “I need you to stop.” His blood stained hand caressing her lovely face. “Just get me something to cover myself...” He paused, “I am cold.” He lied, the wound was a reminder of how foolish he had been. It would be a reminder for the rest of his life, he couldn't bear it.

Zainab trudged away from him to a nearby cupboard where he had kept some blankets, she took out one blue fleece and tucked it around him, avoiding the wound.

“Thank you.” He acknowledged, forcing a sad smile.

“Its ok.” She emphasized and walked away, he didn't ask where she was headed, he knew; To look for Rimi.

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:20pm On Dec 11, 2014

Rimi marveled at the way the room was kept neat as he sniffed the clothes in one of the bedrooms. They were all folded neatly, coats and shirts in hangers and shoes sat in an alphabetical order. Unlike other bedrooms, the bed had clean linen on it, no trails of dust mites on top of the polished dark brown oak chest of drawers.

His friends had turned out to be alright, he still didn't own anything, except, some clothes he bought recently. He needed to settle, Uche and Tonia were happily married, owned a house and were expecting a child, Christopher had settled in very well, what about him? He sat down on the spacious bed deep in thoughts.

“Who are this people chasing us? Is it the key they want? And why does Uche and Tonia have the key? There should be an explanation, and Christopher has to tell why he wanted Uche and Tonia dead, atleast he should know more about the whole puzzle.” Shaking his head he stalked downstairs.

“My God Rimi, where have you been?” Zainab jumped at him toppling him over, on the floor. “I looked all over for you those minutes you were out of my side.” She sighed heavily, as they savored the sensuous touch of lip on tender lip, lost in their own world, where nothing and nobody existed. He sensed though, that she was uneasy, yet he kept quite.

“You two should go upstairs and explore each other, Jesus!” Christopher groaned.

“Oh please, let Rimi do his thing.” Tonia scolded Christopher, resting her head on Uche's lap.

Rimi, carried Zainab up and they nestled on the couch next to Christopher. “I went to check if the house wasn't occupied, you may never know what lurks in the dark babe.” He was addressing Zainab, then turned to Christopher, “you Christopher, I am coming for you, its not yet your time, just get well first.” Christopher made a funny face and they laughed.

“I pray not to get well soon, I have high profiled secrets stored in my head, if I tell, I should just blow my bleeping brain off man.”

The house was quite and still, no hooting of Owls from a far distance, no cars honking outside, Rimi kept peeping outside the window to see if they were still on planet Earth.

“This place looks like a ghost town, how do you sleep at night?” He asked concerned.

“I think you should go upstairs and continue with your saliva exchanging Rimi.” Christopher snarled at him, annoyance written all over his face.

Rimi frowned, Christopher was in pains hence his mood swings, he decided to focus on something else, to bring the Uchenia back to them. He had decided not to ask about the day he supposedly robbed a store, he wanted them to confess on their own. He'll keep on pressing them until they come clean.

“Somebody mentioned the key back in Cedar Point, what was it about?” He queried the faces in the room, everyone looked exhausted, Tonia was yawning and Uche wasn't helping matters as he was rubbing her tummy gently.

Rimi rubber necked at the couple across the room. Uche leered at him while Tonia didn't even look up, her eyes were slightly closed now.

“Well?” He roared, Tonia glared at him, then Zainab and minded her business again. She still looked pretty, she glowed in her black number, he had to admit, Uche did outsmart him on that one. He ached to hold her, he ached to stroke her hair, he realised that what he felt for Tonia was different from what he felt for Zainab. He'd have to decide.

“Fine, its a stupid golden key Tonia had been gazing and gloating at this afternoon like it was some sort of a ticket to heaven.” Uche blurted, Tonia shot up like a bullet and starred at her husband in disbelief. She was about to spit fire, Rimi watched in amusement as his friend squealed on the couch like a pig. “I have it here with me.” Tonia slapped him across his face, her own face red with fury.

“You ought to have told me you took it! You had no right!” She screamed.

“And you were supposed to tell me you had it in the first place!” Uche retorted. Rimi, regarding the situation opened his mouth, Zainab clamped it with her hand as the two huffed and puffed at each other.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:22pm On Dec 11, 2014

Christopher had had it with the whining girl and her husband. If they were not playing lovy-dovey, they were throwing jabs at each other. Or was it because he had never had a girl friend? He never really knew how to treat a lady.

He was only raised by his father, and he had always called him his special child. And had always warned him to stay away from ladies that they were nothing but trouble. The old man had been right after all.

“Shut the stuff up you two! We don't want to know how un-loyal you are towards each other.” Christopher shrieked, coughing. His face pale, his mouth forming a little 'O' as he spoke. If his hair could talk, it would have sworn it had seen better days.

“Easy Christopher.” Rimi and Zainab were hovering over him like a tent, as Zainab, handed him a glass of fresh tap water, he gulped and coughed again, pushing the glass away.

“Thanks Zainab,” He forced a painful smile. “I hate whining women like this Tonia.”

“Its because of the baby I am like this, but just for the record, I hate you too.” Tonia who was on her toes, walked towards him.

“I don't give a rat's as.s, your attitude stinks, see how you slapped your husband as if he washes your undies?” Christopher retorted. Uche clenched his fists, Rimi and Zainab were both quite.

“I'll slap this small boy back to health!” Tonia leaped on Christopher, shame and anger written all over her face. Christopher caught her right hand mid-air. “Leave me.” She wrestled him but his gaze was fixed on her face, the memories of his childhood flashed like lightening in-front of him.

“Let her go Christopher!” Uche was pulling Tonia away, Rimi and Zainab also helping but couldn't let go.

He was a small boy again, in bed with a cast on his left leg After breaking it from one of his mischievous adventures. He'd call Nia his wife and she'd fume because she said he was too young to be her husband, and didn't have money like daddy.

“My dear wife please bring me water.” He'd tease feigning seriousness.

“I'll slap this small boy back to health!” Nia would furiously jump at him and the fight would end up in giggles. Though he was in pain, whenever he played with Nia, the pain didn't matter. Christopher used to call his sister Nia. They were the inseparable duo that didn't look like twins at all. He called her his soul mate, which caused for concern among their parents. Their mother had her worries, that Christopher's affection towards Anthonia was a bit unnatural for a brother and sister while their father would emphasize that they should let them be, it would change as they grew up.

Chris was more of a gentleman, he'd rather walk away than cause a scene in public while Nia was the exact opposite. She would fight all the battles for him at school. She was used to being the aggressive twin but did have a soft spot for Chris when is suits her. The last time he saw her was one morning when she woke up with a tummy ache.

“Promise me you'll bring me my home work?” Nia had begged as he was about to leave. She had been lying on her tummy, her pink barbie cover tucked neatly on the side of the bed, her head turned side ways, her left delicate chubby cheek resting on the pink pillow. Her eyes red from crying, she'd begged her parents to let he go to school but they couldn't let her go.
His small mind was full of mischief.
“If you kiss me, like a good wife you are, I'll bring it.” He had pouted as he planted a peck on her cheek. Normally Nia would face the other side or wipe her cheek with the back of her hand, her face mushy like she had seen a cockroach. But that morning she had let him peck her and had pecked him too. They both had grinned with satisfaction. He had walked away his head held up high, hands planted firmly in his trouser's pockets whistling not minding his father who was calling after him.

That afternoon he went to a different home, stayed home for so many days, his father coming only at night to see him. He was send to a boarding school in outside the country by his father. He wasn't allowed to come home, his father visited him every quarter of the year. When he asked about Nia and his mother, he was told they were no more. little by little the memory faded and he forgot about them.

Before his old man died, he told Christopher that he was sold by his mother at six. His father bought him back silently and send him away to a boarding school overseas, away from his mother and sister. His mother had said she believed her son had been swapped in the hospital because the boy she thought was hers was not. His behavior was absurd and posed as a threat to her daughter.

“I wasn't a threat to Nia, I loved her the way you loved mother Dad!” Christopher had screamed, he had loved her, she was his best annoying friend, he was six and had no plans of marring her.

“Your mother thought you would be in an incestuous relationship in future.” The old man propped his head up, adjusting his reclining position. He took his son's hands into his gently, his eyes never leaving Christopher's face. “You worshiped Nia, which was a trade you learned from me, but my wife's imagination turned you into a monster in her eyes. You were six but she acted as if you were a se.x starved teenager.”

“I am sorry that I ruined your marriage father, that I caused the break-up between all of us.” He had nestled his head on his father's chest.

“No son, the daughters of Eve are mentally disturbed, I wasn't surprised. Eve did worse!”

Those words never left him. He hadn't cried when his dad kicked the bucked, but owned up as a man. He belonged to nobody, he lived his life as if there was no tomorrow, and loved one person; Himself.

But here she was, in front of him, his first love, his soul mate.

“Nia?” He whispered, emotions clouding his judgment, few hours ago he had plans to kill her physically, then minutes ago he was on the verge of killing her emotionally. He wanted to smile but he wasn't sure he was doing it right. “If you kiss me....” The words trailed off, his lips became dry, he felt tired.

“Like a good wife you are.” Tonia finished Christopher's sentence and pecked his pale cheek. Her make up had smeared her face, black tears dropping on his blood stained shirt. He lifted his free hand towards her face and wiped away the tears from her eyes. He knew, she'd never forget him, nor him her. His grasp on her loosened, she was screaming and pulling him towards her. The party was making too much noise, they needed to catch up.

“Chris! No, I need you, Please!” Nia wailed, clinging to him choking him, he wanted to hold her too, but he was too weak. “I've lost you once, not again.” She wailed, “don't go please Chris, I am sorry.”

A window shattered just behind them and everyone ducked, Christopher watched helplessly as Nia toppled over him, eyeballs popping out of their sockets, she looked stricken, lips apart as blood seeped from her mouth. The second bullet oozed right on her forehead, he pulled her to him with all his might and closed his eyes, blocked the horror from his mind as they both breathed their last.

“I love you Nia.” He whispered.

7 Likes

Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by Obinnau(m): 8:40am On Dec 12, 2014
Please use the comments thread here https://www.nairaland.com/2000600/nairaland-detection-club-2-2014

To post your comment.
Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by chistar01(m): 5:41pm On Dec 15, 2014
CHAPTER FOURTEEN

WRITTEN BY CHISTAR01

HOPE AT LAST

Mr Brown Dino was restless. He sat on one of the three double-seater sofa in the living room at the left wing of his mansion.

He was roughly in his late forties but looked a lot like sixty as he had aged really fast because of the emotional and financial stress the search for his missing key had made him go through.

He emptied the contents of the glass cup he held with one huge gulp and then refiled it almost immediately from a half empty bottle of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey on the table at his side. He emptied the glass cup down his throat once again and the pattern occured two more times in quick succession and would have occured once more if his phone hadn't rang at that very moment.

He swiftly stretched to the other end of the sofa to grab his phone and with a quick glance at the screen he picked the call.

"Boss, its done, Christopher is dead." There was a short pause before the caller added, "well, he'll be dead soon anyway." A husky voice said from the other end of the line.

"Good." Mr Brown replied with a smile. One good news at last, he thought.

"But there is a small problem." The voice added before Mr Brown could end the call.

The smile on Mr Brown faded almost as soon as it came and was replaced with a nasty frown. It seemed everybody had some sort of bad news to give him. "What's the problem?" He asked glaring at the wall.

"I wasn't the one who shot target." The caller replied.

"What do you mean by that?" Mr Brown asked with a raised eyebrow.

The caller took a deep breath then went ahead to report all that had happened.

One bullet, who was the caller and a well trained assassin knew better that to go on a mission without wearing a bullet proof vest. Kassim who he had no idea was following him had shot him on the chest and he had fallen to the ground due to the unexpected and brutal force the bullet hit him but the bullet hadn't pierced his skin.

He laid stiffly on the ground and watched in silence as Officer Caleb had suddenly popped out from no where and shot Kassim as it seemed Kassim was about to shot Christopher but just when Officer Caleb thought he was in total control a bullet had hit him too and he died instantly. The shooter who happened to be Kassim's man fired two fatal shots at Christopher that was bound to kill him if he didn't get urgent medical care while Uche, Tonia, Zainab and a half dead Christopher took off in a car. Of course, Kassim's man entered his car and went after them.

He, One Bullet, then stood up from the ground after making sure no other party was coming, entered his car and trailed both cars. He watched from a distance as Uche skillfully got rid of Kassim's man. Uche probably watched too much Fast And Furious because what he did with the car seemed like a very risky hollywood stunt.

One bullet then peacefully trailed Uche's car back to Double R Town where they finally stopped at Christopher's house. Uncertain about what he was to do now, he dialled Mr Brown number. He was at a spot where he could view the house clearly.

It took Mr Brown a while to respond after One Bullet ended his narration but when he did he sounded different. Like a man who had just found out there was hope after all.

"So where exactly are you right now?" He asked.

"At Christopher's house."

"And that thief, Tonia is in the house with her accomplices - Uche and Rimi?"

"Yes boss, there is also a fourth person who Rimi introduced to me as his girlfriend. I think her name is Zainab." One Bullet replied.

"Good. Here is what you are going to do," Mr Brown said with a tone of confidence. "I want you to control the situation. Kill Tonia right away but hold her entourage and accomplices captive. Text me your exact location, I'm on my way." He was tired of the incompetent people he had on the case, he wanted to handle this himself.

"That's not my job description boss. You'll have to pay more."

"I'll pay you whatever you want, just do as I said!" Mr Brown ordered and hung up.

He called Jackson via the intercom and gave him one instruction.

"Get prepared, we are going to say hi to our friends."

The house was ear deafening silent. Blood gushed from Tonia's forehead directly on Christopher's cold body.

The cooling system in the house was not switched on but Zainab looked really pale and shivered like she was freezing.

The trio, Rimi, Zainab and Uche had ducked behind a couch in the living room as soon as they had heard the banging sound of a shot fired. Neither of them knew who the shooter was but they knew they would give away their hiding spot if they attempted to check who had killed Tonia.

"I know you guys are behind the couch," One Bullet said as he walked into the living room after jumping through the window his bullet had shattered. "I'm not foolish nor blind!" He added irritably.

Non of the trio moved.

"I'm not here to kill any of you, that's not my orders, so please come out of your hiding." He continued.

Behind the couch, Rimi could spot Zainab's back on the dinning table and he knew she had a gun in it. He knew he had to get to the bag if he had plans of seeing another day.

"If you aren't here to kill us why then are you here?" Uche asked, trying with all his might to sound courageous.

"Well that's a good question. My employer wants to have a chat with the three of you so I can't leave just yet," One Bullet replied as he placed two fingers on Christopher's neck in search of a pulse. He found non.

"Who do you work for?" Uche asked again, his voice failed him this time as he sounded really scared.

"You know I can't tell you that just yet besides you'll find out soon enough as he is already on his way here," One Bullet replied and then fired two shots at the ceiling. "Enough with the questions and answers section! Get out here... Now!!!" He thundered.

It took them a while to respond but slowly, the three of them stood up from behind the couch and approached One Bullet cautiously. Rimi still had his eyes at Zainab's bag on the dinning table.

One Bullet grinning at the sight of them then quickly glanced round the house. He spotted four chairs around the dinning table and figured they would serve his purpose perfectly.

"Move to the dinning table!" He ordered and they did as instructed. He then made them sit on individual chairs before going on to tie their hands and legs to the chair the sat on with a rope he had brought from his car. He was always prepared.

When he was through, he sat on the fourth chair, closed his eyes and inhaled a large chunk of air down his nostrils.

Finally, some fresh air. The night would be over very soon, he thought.

Rimi was still a little bit far from Zainab's bag which was still on the dinning table but Uche at the other side was barely an inch away from the bag.

Rimi wasn't sure if he should trust Uche enough to tell him about the gun so he could get it but he figured he had a better chance of surviving if he trusted Uche than waiting for the employer of the assassin to come over.

He starred at Uche without blinking for a few minutes hoping Uche would turn to look at him. Finally Uche caught Rimi's stare and Rimi immediately mouthed, "there's a gun in that bag," nodding at the bag on the dinning table.

Uche smiled. He knew exactly what Rimi wanted him to do.

END OF THE CHAPTER FOURTEEN

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by D9ty7(m): 12:03am On Dec 18, 2014
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
IS THIS REALLY THE END?
Uche smiled at Rimi the moment he saw him mouth something like a gun inside the bag which was less and an inch away from him. Rimi held Zainab's hand tightly like he couldn't let her go even in the face of death while Zainab's heart raced faster than usual.
One bullet with his eagle eye was looking from one person to the
other, his gun held firmly in his right hand, at alert and ready to
shoot anyone who tries anything funny. Rimi shuddered when he
discovered that one bullet during the course of looking at the three
of them had his eyes fixed for a very long time before blinking away.
Rimi knew he was being suspicious of Uche planning some deadly for him, but he couldn't just conclude, maybe because he had his hands tied.
Rimi looked at Zainab who smiled at him in return with a you-have-to-be-strong look. Rimi made up his mind to face whatever would be coming his way in the next minute as they await the arrival
of One bullet's employer or boss.
"What do you have there?" One bullet asked the most dreaded
question which Rimi has been anticipating.
"Nothing." Uche replied innocently.
One bullet looked from Rimi to Zainab then to Uche.
"Are you sure?" He asked.
"Yes, I am." Uche replied.
The silence that enveloped the room that moment could not be
described. As the hand of the clock ticked away, their proposed
downfall neared.
Just then the front door opened and a man probably in his mid or
late forties walked into the living room with bloodshot eyes.
"Welcome boss." One bullet greeted rising up.
"Yeah, One bullet." The new man replied.
One bullet? What a weird name." Rimi thought. But that was the
least of his worries right now because the reason why he was referred as One bullet, he didn't know but he was sure he must be one hell of a dangerous man.
"Untie them." Dino said when he discovered they were powerless even if they were given the freedom to move freely, they had no weapons on them.
"What's your name?" The new man asked Uche.
"Uche." He replied confidently.
"And you my lady?"
"Zainab Adamu." Zainab replied.
The name Adamu rang a bell and triggered his memory.
"Zainab Adamu?" He asked with a confused look on his face.
Zainab nodded and smiled for the first time since the intrusion of
One bullet.
"The same Adamu? Adeola Adamu, the CEO of Industrial treasure bank?" Dino asked.
Zainab nodded affirmatively.
"I am Dino Brown." He said.
Isn't this the same Dino Brown who was the individual with the largest treasure in her father's safe? And after the bank was robbed, his father was
killed by powerful customers who used his bank. There are every
possibility that this man Dino knew about her father's death.
"I don't need to ask what your name is, because I know a lot
about you and with me standing here before you, I want you to tell me who has my key." Dino said referring to Rimi.
"I don't know anything about your lost key or whatever you are
talking about. I was not even part of the robbery." Rimi
replied defiantly.
Mr Dino Brown stood up and took three steps towards Rimi with his
bloodshot eyes, even though it was quite evident that he was weak, either because he was going through a physical or psycological distress.
"You mean you don't know anything about my lost key?" Dino asked smiling.
What could be amusing this beast of a man? Rimi thought.
"where are your other accomplices with whom you robbed the bank and stole my key?" He asked failing to notice the two bodies that lay on the ground.
"I was never part of the robbery. I was just at the wrong place
at the wrong time." Rimi replied.
"You know nothing about the robbery right?"
Rimi nodded his head affirmatively.
"Then who does?" Dina asked, this time he had already closed in
on him and had grabbed him by the collar and was almost sqeezing life out of him.
Rimi quickly glanced at Uche who had used the opportunity of the
scuffle between Dino and Rimi to pick the gun from the bag with no one noticing and awaiting the right moment to shoot. Dino on his part thought Rimi was accusing Uche of masterminding the whole robbery and had already released his grip on Rimi and was advancing towards Uche with clenched fists. Unknown to everyone in the room, Uche had picked the gun during the time when everyone's attention was centred on Dino and Rimi's scuffle. As if they had already planned this, Rimi threw his weight at One Bullet who was caught unawares, the two men fell to the ground and Rimi tried strangling him to death, but a shot was released. Rimi didn't care, so far it didn't hit him. Then he remembered Zainab, whom he was falling in love with. He wanted to release his grip on One bullet but he knew what the outcome would be.
The man One Bullet was begining to gain grounds, and just when he was about giving up, he saw Zainab hit him on the head with a flower vase.
"Thanks." Rimi said and inched closer to Zainab.
"Uche is dead." She said in almost a choking voice.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by D9ty7(m): 12:25am On Dec 18, 2014
--*----
He turned round and saw a lifeless Uche sprawled to the ground with blood oozing out of his head. Another suprise was the lifeless body of Dino Brown a few inches away from Uche.
How Dino had died, he didn't know, but he remembered before he jumped on One bullet, Uche had pulled the trigger which unmistakenly must have hit Dino Brown in the chest while the bullet that missed him during his scuffle with One bullet must have hit Uche.
How he wished he saw how life was drained out of Dino Brown, the man who wanted him dead, but he was glad everything is all but over now.
"Let get out of here." He said to Zainab who tagged along with him, but not without picking her handbag and the 9mm revolver which laid beside Uche.
Rimi was still finding it hard to believe, if a man like Senator Dino
Brown, who wielded so much power could die so easily, then he
concluded that there is no one with the ultimate power on earth.
For the fear of being spotted, the two of them took the exit behind the house into a thick forest which they were convinced would one way or the other connect to a main road.
Kassim's men who had followed Dino Brown from the time he drove out of his house carefully walked into the house and to their suprise found One Bullet, Uche and most suprisingly Dino Brown lying on the floor lifeless. Another two dead bodies were lying on a couch near the
window. But who could be responsible for these killings? They had only heard two gunshots which means that only two people were killed a
few minutes ago, how about these two who were lying almost on top of each other near the window? No doubt this one had his brain smashed.
"Someone is missing." Kassim's man number one announced.
"Yeah. Not one but two." Kassim's man number two added.
"The ex-convict and the young lady." Kassim's man one said while
his colleagues nodded in affirmation.
Kassim's man one picked up his phone and dialled a number which he had gotten from his boss phone a few hours ago.
A sweet angelic voice came on from the other end.
"I want to speak with Don..... Don Kamir." He said.
"Who are you?" Crystal asked.
"I work for Kassim." He replied.
"What do you have for him?" Crystal asked again.
"Dino Brown is dead." He announced.
The line went off immediately.
Crystal input the pass codes into Don Kamir's chamber and walked
inside. Kamir swung his chair and turned to face her.
"What do you have for me Crystal?" He asked.
"Dino is dead." She announced.
Kamir kept quiet for a few seconds trying o process the news he
just heard from his most trusted servant.
Could Dino be dead so easily? Was the ultimate question on his mind.
"The key?" He said almost in a whisper.
Crystal understood what he meant, but she forgot to ask the self acclaimed Kassim's man the question of who killed him or where Kassim was.
She moved a few metres away from Don and redialled the number same number whose call she recieved just now.
"Who killed Dino?" Crystal asked.
"By the time we entered the house, a young man and lady had escaped." Kassim's man number one tried his best to explain.
"Meaning, the they killed Dino and took the key?" Crystal asked.
"What key?"
"Be on the lookout. Search every possible escape routes out of the city, they must be caught." Crystal said and hung up.
She returned to Don who was fuming and his chest rising and falling in a way Crystal had never seen.
"Whoever killed Dino Brown must be with the key." He said and she nodded.
END OF CHAPTER FIFTEEN
WRITTEN BY D9TY7

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by D9ty7(m): 12:44am On Dec 18, 2014
If you have any comment, criticism or correction to the last chapter, feel free to drop them. But the rule says, "don't comment on the story thread."
The comment thread is this; https://www.nairaland.com/2000600/nairaland-detection-club-2-2014/7.
Obinnau, do the needful.
Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by Obinnau(m): 1:08am On Dec 18, 2014
D9ty7:
If you have any comment, criticism or correction to the last chapter, feel free to drop them. But the rule says, "don't comment on the story thread."
The comment thread is this; https://www.nairaland.com/2000600/nairaland-detection-club-2-2014/7.
Obinnau, do the needful.
Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by Royver(m): 10:17pm On Dec 20, 2014
[size=14pt]CHAPTER 16

MEETING DON KAMIR
[/size]

Rimi and Zainab ran through the thick jungle bush until they couldn’t run anymore. Zainab was the first to give in, collapsing in a heap on the ground and sobbing. Rimi stood panting above her. They had escaped death once again. Zainab’s whole body shook as she tried to come to terms with what had just happened.

“But why is everybody trying to kill us, Rimi? What have we done?” Zainab cried through her ragged breaths.

“Take it easy girl, I think it’s me they are after, not us.” Rimi said, catching his breath and straightening up. “More importantly, I think it’s the key they are after.”

“Yeah, What was Mr. Dino talking about anyway? What key?” Zainab asked.

“Don’t you remember? The key Uche said he took from Tonia’s Jewelry box. The one I asked him about.”

“Why were you asking him about it anyway? What do you know about the key?” Zainab narrowed her eyes as she gazed at him. “Is there something you are not telling me?”

“I was telling Mr. Dino the truth when I said I didn’t know anything about it!” Rimi retorted. “I only asked because Christopher mentioned it. You have to believe me, I really was framed, I really didn’t partake in any robbery!”

“I believe you Rimi. I’ve believed you ever since…ever since we stayed at that hotel back in Lake City.” Zainab said, lowering her gaze shyly. Despite himself Rimi grinned as he remembered their first intimate night. He had to admit Zainab stirred up feelings in him that Tonia, despite her alluring beauty, never did.

Tonia. The thought of her lying lifeless on the floor clouded his mind for a moment. They never even had a chance to talk, really talk, before her life was taken away. He felt sorrow that he would never know for a fact if she had been in on the whole setup that sent him to jail or not. She had been such a pretty, albeit demanding woman and for a moment he had been genuinely happy to see her again at the restaurant.
Uche on the other hand, was a different matter. He felt no sorrow for him. Someone whom he had treated as a brother only to be double-crossed…the bitterness rose up in him again. He sighed deeply and tried to clear his head. Then it hit him.

“We have to go back.” He said suddenly.

“What?” Zainab gasped, looking up at him again.

“We have to go back to the house. Uche said he had the key on him. We need to get this key as leverage against these people for the next time they come knocking.”

Zainab stood up and dusted the dirt from her clothes.

“Okay then.”

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by Royver(m): 10:38pm On Dec 20, 2014
The two traced their way back to the house, approaching carefully. Rimi watched all the entrances and looked out for signs of intruders. Seeing none, he advanced towards the house and took a sneak peek though the widows. Everything looked pretty much the same as they had left it. The bodies were still there except for Dino Brown’s and One Bullet. Rimi guessed Dino Brown’s men had taken the bodies away for proper disposal. He gave the thumbs up to Zainab to come out of hiding, and then he entered through the back door.

Tonia was still sprawled over Christopher; the two looked closer in death in a macabre sort of way, as if they were even now comforting each other. Rimi removed his gaze from them and went to where Uche lay crumpled on the floor, his brains oozing out. Rimi curled up his nose in disgust and used his leg to turn Uche’s body onto its back. He bent low and searched through his pockets until his hands closed upon a strange metal object. He pulled it out and there in the palm of his hand was the infamous key. It was made of pure gold and had an ancient design; the kind of key one would expect would open a treasure box. It was quite heavy too but Rimi wasn’t sure the others were after it because of its face value.

“I wonder what this key opens.” Rimi mused out loud.

“I’ve been wondering that too, my brother.” A man’s voice said behind him.

Rimi turned around swiftly only to see Zainab being held at gunpoint. The man held the gun to Zainab’s head and smiled.

“Would you like me to pull the trigger sir?”

Zainab began to shiver uncontrollably.

“No. Don’t do that.” Rimi said, talking as calmly as he could. The man’s face looked familiar but he couldn’t quite place it…

“I’m Hassan, Kassim’s man. I have been tailing you guys since the restaurant. Kassim, my boss is dead but I managed to contact his boss, Don Kamir. I believe he’ll be very happy to see you and the key. I could carry you guys to him dead or alive; it’s your choice depending on if you cooperate.”

“We’ll cooperate.” Rimi said. “Just, don’t hurt her.”

“Alright then. You two get to the car. You are going to drive me to Don Kamir’s place while I enjoy the back seat with my gun to your lady’s face. I hope that’s okay with you?” He sneered, and without waiting for an answer, he shoved Zainab forward and motioned for both of them to move towards the car.

************************************************************************************************************

He watched them from his hideout in the bushes behind the house. He had seen when they had entered the house after checking it out without noticing Hassan hiding behind a huge boulder. They were really amateurs; he could tell by the way they moved. He had moved closer to listen to their conversation and had heard the name “Don Kamir.”It was a familiar name, a name that summoned up emotions of an unfinished business and the need to put something right. He guessed their next move and quickly made up his mind. Running stealthily towards the car, he tugged at the boot. Luckily, it opened. He lay down inside and closed the bonnet without activating the lock. Soon, just as he thought they would, the guy with the gun ushered the couple into the car. In a few moments they were off to Don Kamir’s hideout. As the car passed through some bumpy areas his head knocked against the hard inner metal of the car and One Bullet winced. The vase had only knocked him out temporarily but the cut on his head would soon start bleeding again if it suffered more punishment. One bullet felt a twinge of guilt at leaving his Boss Dino Brown’s body out there in the bushes, he had meant to call for backup to come and take him and the body away. Anyway, he could contact them on the way to this Don Kamir’s house. There was something about that name that was oddly familiar.

**********************************************************************************************************

“Wait a minute! Are you saying he is dead? Really dead?!”

“Yes ma. His body was identified as one of the victims in a shootout atCedar point. We are truly sorry for your loss…” Inspector Bello’s voice trailed off as Evelyn began to wail. He sighed inwardly. Now he wished he hadn’t pushed the ambitious police officer too much. The guy had been on the case for two years now, obsessing over it, ranting that the pieces didn’t fit and he needed Rimi to regain his memory; only for this tragedy to occur. He sighed again as Evelyn threw herself on the floor of the police station.

“Who will support me now? Who will take care of me?” She wailed woefully. “Oh my husband! This is all my fault, I pushed him too much! So it is all over?!”

Inspector Bello sniffed. This was far from over. He was going to get to the bottom of this case if ti was the last thing he did. He left MRs Caleb in the arms of some policewomen to console her and strode purposefully to his office. He dialed a number and there was a click after the fourth ring.

“Yes, It’s me Bello. One of my officers was killed in your jurisdiction, I want the case properly looked into; scratch that, I’ll be coming there personally myself. All information and clues about the incident should be ready for my scruntiny when I get there.” He cut the call and made another one.

“Simon, Please I need a favour. One of my Officers, Caleb, remember him? Yes, yes, a sad turn of events. I want you to gain access to all his calls, text messages, pings, whatever you can lay your hands on, over the past month. Meet our folks at the mobile network office. I need the information ASAP. Thanks.”

He dropped the phone and clenched his fists angrily. Whoever was responsible for Officer Caleb’s death was going to go down hard.

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by Obinnau(m): 5:57am On Dec 21, 2014
[quote author=Obinnau post=28979831][/quote]
Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by Royver(m): 9:19am On Dec 21, 2014
Rimi’s heart was beating so fast he thought he would have a heart attack. The man with the gun sat quietly directly behind him so that Rimi couldn’t even see his reflection from the rear view mirror. All he could see was Zainab’s pretty but terrified face as the muzzle of the gun was pressed repeatedly against her cheek.

“Look, Bros, you can put the gun down.” Rimi said, “We are doing exactly as you said so no need to point that in her face. It could go off accidentally you know.”

Hassan ignored him and continued to point the gun in Zainab’s face. They didn’t know it but Hassan himself was scared shitless. He had called Don Kamir as soon as he spotted the duo going back into the house and had been ordered to interrogate them until they handed over the key. It had been pure luck that Rimi had found the key when he did and he was glad of the opportunity of having been the one to get the key for the big boss. But now he was going to meet the man himself, Don Kamir. He wasn’t working for small fry Kassim anymore, this was the real deal. He had heard about the ruthlessness of Don Kamir the Walking Shadow, and this was what scared him to bits. What if Don Kamir had him murdered after he gave in the key? But then again if Don Kamir was really pleased with him, he could start getting paid in big bucks and not the peanuts Kassim had been offering him.

Well, either way, his status was about to change.

The car passed through a rough patch of road and there was a sudden bump in the boot.

“Take it easy, guy.” Hassan said. “Before you dislodge our spare tire.”

He had no idea that what was in the boot was anything but an inanimate object.

“Turn left here.” Hassan ordered, and Rimi obeyed. The road led to a huge mansion situated at the edge of the city. It was a cream coloured house with a crimson roof. Rimi would have thought it was a hotel or maybe office apartment but there were no signboards, only mean looking men at the gates. One of them held out his hand for them to stop as the car approached and Rimi slowed down.

“Who are you and what do you want?” The man asked.

“My name is Hassan. Kassim’s man. The boss is expecting me.” Hassan spoke up from behind.

The man saw the glint of the gun pressed against Zainab’s face and smiled.

“Yeah. The boss told us about you.” He looked up and waved his hand. It was only then Rimi noticed a red spot of light move past the car dashboard and out of sight. Snipers! This place was indeed heavily guarded.

Rimi drove into the magnificent compound filled with different Nigerian cultural statues of men and beasts. There were guards everywhere, it seemed. As Rimi looked around the compound and the high fence with electric wires at the top, it dawned on him that he might not leave this place alive. He glanced back at Zainab whose eyes looked like one dead already. This wasn’t looking good at all.

“Stop here.” Hassan ordered. He got down from the car and gestured for the two of them to come down as well. They all walked into the mansion and were soon accompanied by two of the most muscular men Rimi had ever seen. He honestly didn’t see the need for them to brandish the AK-47s they were holding; each one was obviously capable of killing a man with their bare hands. He felt a soft hand against his and turned to see Zainab walking beside him, her face registering awe as well as fear. He held her hand and squeezed it, smiling at her reassuringly although he didn’t feel very reassured himself. They kept on walking, Hassan behind them, until they came to a large white room where the two muscular guards that had been escorting them stopped them.

“Wait here.” The guard said. To Rimi’s surprise the guard in one swift motion collected the gun from Hassan. Hassan made to protest but thought better of it. The guard nodded.

“Wise decision. No one goes into the presence of the Walking Shadow with a gun.” He said.

“Except me, of course.” A sexy voice called from above. Rimi, Zainab and Hassan looked up to see the ugliest female any of them had ever laid eyes upon descending gracefully down a flight of stairs. She wore a smart black dress that ended just above the knees with a slit at the side. Across her chest was a double holster housing two guns at her back.

“My name is Crystal.” Her silken voice seemed to cool the very air they breathed and Rimi suddenly felt a false sense of assurance. This lady would have been the perfect host, if not for her ugly face. She smiled at them and then at Hassan.

“You must be Kassim’s man.” She said. “May I have the key, please.”

Hassan brought out the gold key from his pocket and handed it over meekly, looking down at his feet as he did so. He knew all about Crystal and dared not look her in the face. His submissive attitude irked Crystal but the boss had said to reward the fellow so she smiled genially at him again.

“Kassim’s job is open. If you go down to the lobby, one of our boys will have his money waiting for you. It’s now yours. If the Boss has need of you, I will call. Now go.”

“Thank- Thank you ma.” Hassan stuttered and was led outside by one of the burly men. Crystal sighed and turned back towards Rimi and Zainab.
She smiled that her serpentine smile again.

“Well, well, if it isn’t the Jeweler’s daughter. I have the feeling my Boss will be very pleased to see you. Come.” And without another word she started climbing up the stairs.

Zainab and Rimi followed her to the top and waited for her to input a set of codes into the computer. There was a sudden noise like an electronic click and the door opened. Crystal entered and Rimi and Zainab followed.

“Finally. Finally, finally finally!” The voice that greeted them was grating in nature, like the voice of someone who had a chronic throat infection. Don Kamir stood before them, beaming happily as Zainab walked coyly up to him and handed him the Gold key. He held it up to the light and looked it over.

“So now the key is finally in my possession? Hahahahaha! Thank you Crystal!” Crystal smiled and gave a low bow. “Now I am the richest man in Africa! I’m so happy I could let you guys go scot free!” He said.

“Really?” Zainab asked hopefully.

Don Kamir threw his head back and laughed some more. He almost seemed maniacal.

“No my dear, of course I am joking. No one sees the face of the walking shadow and lives to tell the tale!”

“Except me, of course.” Crystal said. Don Kamir rolled his eyes and went to a mini bar to pour himself some whiskey.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014 by Royver(m): 9:23am On Dec 21, 2014
“Don? She is the Jeweler’s daughter.”Crystal offered.

“Really? The Bank Manager?” He raised a glass at her. “Small world. I guess I am now your biggest client.”

“I don’t understand.” Zainab replied quietly.

“Oh come now Miss Adamu, Surely your father told you about our little deposit in the bank? The box this key opens? The treasure inside?”

“’No. No he didn’t. What is the key about?” Zainab asked.

“And who is this?” Don Kamir asked, ignoring Zainab and addressing Rimi for the first time.

“He is one of the thieves that stole the key sir,” Crystal said.

“I didn’t steal anything! I was set up by my friends!” Rimi answered indignantly.

“I don’t care whether you were set up or not,” Don Kamir smirked. “It doesn’t change your current situation. Tell me Miss Adamu, Did you ever wonder why your father’s bank never needed to merge with other banks during the banking crisis despite its low customer service?”

Zainab was caught unawares for a moment. “Er, no. I didn’t bother myself with such matters at the time, I was still well into my Nursing career. I just assumed daddy was somehow able to raise the money being asked for by Sanusi.

Don Kamir giggled. “Indeed he was! His bank capital rose from a palty 7million naira to 800billion naira overnight! People who were aware called it the miracle of the century. The bank didn’t need to merge, it retained its name, Industrial bank of whatever, never really liked the name, but it did serve its purpose. As did your dad, until he made a fatal mistake.”

Rimi saw Zainab’s countenance change as she clenched her fists.

“So you were the one that had my father killed?” She asked in a shaky voice.

“Well, I wouldn’t say I was solely responsible. You see, this key was left in your father’s hands for safekeeping. It opens a box that has been kept safely in a vault in your bank for the past eight years now. How Dino Brown and I got to get access to the key is nobody’s business, but when your Dad lost it, Dino went crazy. We both agreed that Mr. Adamu should be killed but I had no Idea Dino was thinking I also had something to do with it and wanted me dead as well. He sent an Assassin after me, a man called One Bullet, supposedly so because he only needs one bullet to finish off his victims. I hear I was his first failure.” Don Kamir laughed again and beat his chest. “Dino thought he could kill me but luck was on my side and for whatever reason that day, One Bullet missed and here I am alive and well.”

***********************************************************************************************************

Hassan was taken to a small empty room where he stood nervously for a while, wondering if really he was going to get paid or get his head blown off. He cringed when one of the muscular men came in suddenly and approached him. He handed him a blue nylon and when Hassan opened it his eyes bulged as he beheld bundles of one thousand naira notes.

“It’s a hundred thousand in there. Take it and leave. We’ll contact you if we need anything.” The thick man said, handing him his gun back.

“Thank you sir!” Hassan almost shouted and hurried out of the room. He went to the front door, a light spring in his steps. He was now in the big leagues! He was now in real money! He would show his guys down at the club tonight, drinks were definitely going to flow freely.

As he walked down the steps at the entrance of the mansion, he thought he saw some movement at the boot of the car. He was about to ignore it when he saw the movement again. He looked around; none of the guards seemed to be in the vicinity. He approached the car cautiously and drew his weapon. There was definitely something wrong with the boot, the catch was bad or something. He holstered his gun and dropped the bag and raised the boot so as to slam it shut.

The fist that came out was like a striking cobra. A punch to the throat destroyed his larynx and rendered him inaudible. As he grasped his neck in pain, One Bullet jumped out of the boot and pushed him into the nearby bushes. Strong hands encircled Hassan’s throat and the last thing he saw before his neck was snapped was the blue nylon bag lying ownerless on the ground.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

The Deadly Seduction / in dependence" By Sarah Ladipo Manyika / Legend Of An Ikotun Boy By Callmefemi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 202
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.