Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,033 members, 7,803,472 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

Is Salt Good For Me? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is Salt Good For Me? (2842 Views)

Which Brand Of Blender Is Good For Blending Beans / How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. / Useful And Handy Uses Of Salt !!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Salt Good For Me? by dondele(m): 1:07am On Aug 08, 2006
i eat alot of salty foods. basically salted peanuts and butter. like salted butter but i dont know why. just wanted to know if im doing maself more harm dan good. i eat peanuts and cashewnuts alot.
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by chosenbabe(f): 8:39am On Aug 08, 2006
No its not, too much salt is not good
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by Txlonghorn(m): 8:41am On Aug 08, 2006
I'm no Doctor, but I hear too much salt is bad for you.
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by Eurphoria(f): 9:39am On Aug 08, 2006
YEP like chosenbabe and TX said it can do some harm, maybe not now, i don't know how old you are but you are playing with highblood pressure here,watch your salt in take and ask your doc what your daily recommendation is.
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by naijadiva2(f): 2:45pm On Aug 08, 2006
salt is not harmful as long as you eat it in moderation. too much of it can cause heart problem and high blood presure and things of that sort.
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by iice(f): 4:23pm On Aug 08, 2006
Salt in moderation is good but in excess is terribly bad, aside from all the problems mentioned above, you can have kidney problems from too much salt
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by babaibadan(m): 6:54pm On Aug 09, 2006
@dondele
Dont u think u should ask a doctor that? instead of listening to all these cry
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by iice(f): 7:10pm On Aug 09, 2006
All these wetin angry angry
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by babaibadan(m): 7:13pm On Aug 09, 2006
lame talk grin
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by iice(f): 7:16pm On Aug 09, 2006
Hmmmmm lame talk? Well am guessing your powers of telekenesis and information gathering is unsurmountable tongue tongue
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by babaibadan(m): 7:19pm On Aug 09, 2006
duh! kiss
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by iice(f): 7:20pm On Aug 09, 2006
Bwahahahhahaha grin grin grin
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by babaibadan(m): 7:26pm On Aug 09, 2006
http://www.salt.gov.uk/index.shtml

The Salt campaign has been created by the Food Standards Agency in order to reduce the amount of salt people eat. Too much salt can raise blood pressure, which increases the chances of developing heart disease and stroke. The site provides more information about how too much salt can affect health, hidden salt, myths, the daily limit, benefits of less salt, and salt consumption in babies and children. Other features of the site include a salt calculator, how to read labels, cooking without salt, history of salt, and access to a game (requiring Shockwave 8.5 or above). The campaign is supported by the Stroke Association and the British Heart Foundation.
grin grin , powers of telekenesis and information gathering grin wink
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by iice(f): 7:28pm On Aug 09, 2006
My dear if you have to put the link up there, am afraid you telekenesis needs work grin grin
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by babaibadan(m): 8:41pm On Aug 09, 2006
iice:

My dear if you have to put the link up there, am afraid you telekenesis needs work grin grin
where should it be? sad embarassed
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by Oracle(m): 10:58pm On Sep 03, 2006
Too much of everything is bad even water
but you do need salt especially Iodized salt
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by Asioqua(m): 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2006
i'll go with the audience, too much salt could cause you alot of problems. but on the other hand, too little also has its consequences
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by 2old4that(m): 7:07pm On Sep 04, 2006
Iodize salt (commonly known as table salt)  is good because its been treated with iodide to provide iodine as a nutritional supplement. but not much ooo
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by nico(m): 8:21pm On Sep 04, 2006
My step-Uncle said, in nigeria they use salt for voodoo to make your heart fall out
I don,t know, if He is trying to scare me from eating too much salt.
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by nike4luv(f): 3:03am On Sep 05, 2006
it affects your heart
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by Radiant(f): 4:42am On Sep 05, 2006
nico:

My step-Uncle said, in nigeria they use salt for voodoo to make your heart fall out
I don,t know, if He is trying to scare me from eating too much salt.
Nico sweetie you've really got a 'wonderful' step family. grin how do u cope? lipsrsealed grin
Never heard of using salt to make one's heart fall out grin Those of you involved in voodoo abeg confirm for us grin
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by Bigjay(m): 10:53am On Sep 05, 2006
Hey, just look at the bright side, death comes only ones grin
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by rotshang: 6:01pm On Sep 06, 2006
i am a lady of 35, i am tired of failed relationship, can you help
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by katherinae(f): 4:57pm On Sep 10, 2006
dondele

u are in the us now u should definately know better than that angry do u have a family history of hypertension, are heart problems, how old are u, how much do u weigh, do u exercise at all, and when last did u check ur blood pressure. i fu exercise alot, have no family history of cardiovascular problems or diabetes, are slim fit and ur blood pressur eis belo 140/90 then u are good if uliek go and drink the ocean. but any variation in those objectives then u need to stop now because it will only catch up with u when u are in ur 30's

1 Like

Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by ladykool(f): 9:34pm On Sep 23, 2006
haha is salt good for me no its not!
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by Radiant(f): 10:15pm On Sep 23, 2006
katherinae:

dondele

if uliek go and drink the ocean. but any variation in those objectives then u need to stop now because it will only catch up with u when u are in your 30's

I don't think you've made any point. He asked if salt was good for him. Your answer shoulda been NO if you actually knew the consequences of taking too much salt. Don't you think telling him he can drink an ocean will cause harm in the future irrespective of his blood pressure value now? *sighs*
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by katherinae(f): 12:32am On Sep 24, 2006
radiant

u are absolutely right, and as a medical student i should give better advice. ok, well regardless of ur health excess salt is not good for u. everything in moderation. even too much oxygen can harm u tremendously, so eat healthy, exercise often, and remember, water water water, always stay hydrated.
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by Radiant(f): 12:07pm On Sep 24, 2006
best wishes sis cool
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by CrazyMan(m): 7:27pm On Oct 17, 2006
@Topic
Salt is good, but too much of it can lead to deadly diseases.
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by TOYOSI20(f): 8:24pm On Oct 19, 2008
Like every other thing in life moderation is key. . . . . . .

Too much salt in take can't be too good for u,. . . . it'll increase ur sodium level and

may contribute to the development of high blood pressure in certain people.

High blood pressure may then lead to heart disease, kidney disease or stroke.

U can try eating more fruits, and use natural herbs and spices when cooking as well. . . . .
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by AmakaOne(f): 1:25pm On Oct 20, 2008
The truth is, too much water and not enough salt can kill you. Most people know that dehydration can cause serious health consequences. What most don’t realize is that too much of a good thing — WATER — can also be dangerous, even deadly.

It happens when the body’s balance of salt and water become quickly diluted. It affects the production of nerve impulses, and impairs mental processes. Cells take on extra water and expand. As they swell, they put stress on the body’s organs, particularly the brain, which has little room to expand within the skull. Sometimes Hyponatremia is caused by an underlying medical condition.

Sodium helps maintain the body’s electrical processes essential to transmitting nerve impulses and contracting muscles. When the body’s sodium content is depleted at the same time water level is increased, cells absorb more water and swell. Excessive water in the brain cells can cause seizures and in rare cases death.

The point is you need to replenish not only the fluids you lose when you sweat, but the salt as well. Nothing that comes out of your body is pure water. So you’ve got to replace it with both the salt and water, Not Just Water.

A serious loss of sodium can lead to weakness, dizziness, memory loss and nausea.

If the deficiency becomes severe, the circulatory system can collapse and the body can go into shock, causing fatigue, muscle twitching and fits.
Re: Is Salt Good For Me? by ifyalways(f): 6:49pm On Oct 20, 2008
Excess of everything is bad.More to it iodized salt is better than the "normal " ordinary salt that is easily obtained.
Salt is good but should be used in moderation.

(1) (Reply)

Among Of The Soft And Alcoholic Drinks Wich 1 U Always Av Fun With?(pho). / Manual Blender That Can Blend Akara Smoothly For Just #1500 / 5 Foods You Should Never Wash Before Cooking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.