Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,473 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

Because Of This Article.... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Because Of This Article.... (816 Views)

Read This Article It Might Save Your Life: The Antidotes Of God / Read This Article It Might Save Your Life: The Antidotes Of God / Read This Article About God And Ebola By The Guardian US That Sparked Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 2:58pm On Nov 17, 2014
This isn’t a complain.
There seem to be a cult infecting Islam section. On Wed 12/11, an essay touting “Orthodox Islam” as Women empowering was copied and pasted in Islam section of Nairaland Forum; http://www.whyislam.org/on-faith/status-of-women/ .

Make no mistake, am a Muslim but am heterodox since i uphold only the Qur’an, rejecting the traditions(Ahadith) that make the bulk of orthodox Islam. This is because these traditions lack Qur’anic authority, lack credible historical bases, contradict Qur’an, contradict reason and contradict themselves.

Thus, what differentiate me from the common orthodox Muslim the next door is that i stick with the Qur’an alone while he admit traditions as complementary or even superior to the Qur’an.

In response to the write up, i took time to write a review, hoping to shatter the cliché that Islam= Qur‘an+Traditions and such a system empower women. Here is my review in red;
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:00pm On Nov 17, 2014
“Shalom!

Article Review and Rating

The OP ‘s article thrives on the ignorance the of common reader. It will not interest the advanced reader. It has been repeated too often by orthodox muslims, it has become a clichè that orthodox Islam does empower women. If so, how come Muslim states are the most repressive and backward in women affairs?

Let s’ take Islamic Republic of Iran as case study;

Before the Iranian revolution, under the secular state, Iranian women had handsome rights. Women could vote, could work and earn in most fields, the marriage age for women was 18, their family right were increased, extra-judicial divorce by men was scrapped.

After the revolution in 1979, a Sharia theocratic state based on “Islamic” teachings was established by Ayatollah Khomeini. Within months, women were stripped off most of their rights and reduced to weaklings. Extra-judicial divorce by men was restored, [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%27s_Family_Protection_Law]family protection laws in favor of women[/url] were repealed, hijab(abaya) was enforced. Women were barred from several Jobs they were entitled to in the past(e.g Judge), marriage age for females was reduced to 9 and the participation in societal sphere was markedly reduced. Of course, the women tried to protest but it was too late. You can’t eat your cake and have it. The funny thing is that these women heavily supported the revolution, little did they know what Khomeini and his circle of Mullahs were up to. Today women in Iran long for the secular laws before the revolution.
They are evidence that Sharia or orthodox Islam doesn’t empower women.
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:01pm On Nov 17, 2014
The writer did not spare us the details but went ahead enumerating rights that Islam supposedly bestowed on Women. But many of these rights existed before Islam. Besides most of them were repealed by Muslims after Muhammad ‘s death via fabricated and authenticated Ahadith. For instance the writer boast of the right of women to work and earn without the obligation of spending on the family. But this was common even before Islam where in most cultures, only men were obligated to spend on the family and besides, this right is diminished by the fact that, in orthodox Islam, a man have so much authority over his wife that he can decide to forbid her from working and that is flat. This happen in many cases. If we go through orthodox Islamic texts today, we ‘ll find teachings that impede many of these rights.
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:03pm On Nov 17, 2014
1. Orthodox Islam deem the intellect of women to be defective. Hence the testimonies of women by default, are worth less than that of men in general cases. Ahadith and Fiqh support this and several Muslim states implement it as Sharia.

2. While a man is free to divorce his wife extra-judicially, a woman cannot divorce her husband under orthodox Islamic law. Divorce has to be pronounced by the husband. In the event that the husband refuses the divorce the wife after her request to do so, she can only turn to the court and even then, the odds are stacked against her. The court may reject her case if it feels the man fulfills his marital role, ignoring any other excuse the woman has. This create situations were a woman can be easily dumped by her husband or she has to endure forever because their husband refuse to divorce her and the court turn down her complains.

3. Men can have sex with female slave or captive because he own her and she has no personal reason to reject him. Same goes for wife”
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:05pm On Nov 17, 2014
Here is a nairalander 's response to my review in blue;

“….replying your epistle will be like a waste of time to us all

You can’t use Islamic states to judge the way of Islam, this people have cultural rules they follow so you can’t ascribe their actions to be that of Islamic preaching

A muslim woman is allowed all of the things I listed above under Islamic rulings except you have a quranic verse or hadith to back up your claim”

This was by the poster of the article. Let aside the rude tone, this person ‘s denial of repressive policies on women in Muslim states like Iran as merely cultural is disheartening. It is gross betrayal of the clear fact that Iran is second only to Saudi Arabia in implementation of the tradition derived Sharia Law. Iran is ruled by strict, hardline Ayatollahs who are Muslim clerics that claim descent from the Prophet ‘s family.
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:07pm On Nov 17, 2014
Then she demanded i present my evidence from their religious texts. Ironically, in the whole her article, there is no single evidence with reference from religious text. Regardless, i responded to this demand although by then her defiance had taken it toll and besides i had clearly over stayed my welcome, the moderator acted swiftly in deleting nearly all my posts and banning me for a forthnight on charge of posting ‘wrong information’.

Here are extracts of orthodox Islamic teachings that represses women:::
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:09pm On Nov 17, 2014
1. TESTIMONY

Sahih Bukhari
Volume 1, Book 6, Number 301:

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

Once Allah’s Apostle went out to the Musalla (to offer the prayer) o
‘Id-al-Adha or Al-Fitr prayer. Then he passed by the women and said, “O women! Give alms, as I have seen that the majority of the dwellers of Hell-fire were you (women).” They asked, “Why is it so, O Allah’s Apostle?” He replied, “You curse frequently and are ungrateful to your husbands. I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you.
A cautious sensible man could be led astray by some of you.” The women asked, “O Allah’s Apostle! What is deficient in our intelligence and religion?” He said, “Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?” They replied in the affirmative. He said, “This is the deficiency in her intelligence. Isn’t it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?” The women replied in the affirmative. He said, “This is the deficiency in her religion.”
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:11pm On Nov 17, 2014
2. SEX

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 284 Narrated by Abu Ali Talq ibn Ali

The Prophet (saws) said: ‘When a man sends for his wife for the satisfaction of his need, sheshould go to him even if she may be occupied in baking bread.’

Sunan Ibn Majah » The Chapters on Marriage Hadith 1853
It was narrated that: Abdullah bin Abu Awfa said” When Muadh bin Jabal came from Sham, he prostrated to the Prophet who said: ‘What is this, O Muadh?’ He said: ‘I went to Sham and saw them prostrating their bishops and patricians and I wanted to do that for you.’ The messenger of Allah said: ‘Do not do that. If I were to command anyone to prostrate to anyone other than Allah, I would have commanded women to prostrate to their husbands. By the one in who hand is the soul of Muhammad! No woman can fulfill her duty towards Allah until she fulfills her duty towards her husband. If he asks her (for intimacy) even if she is on her camel saddle, she should not refuse.’ “
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:16pm On Nov 17, 2014
Here is a renowed scholar view on this;

Al-Muhalla, 10/40
Ibn Hazm said: It is obligatory on slave women and free women alike not to refuse their masters or husbands if they call them, so long as the woman who is called is not menstruating or sick in such a way that intercourse will be harmful to her, or observing an obligatory fast. If she refuses with no excuse, then she is cursed.

While it is true that spouses musn’t starve each other of sex. These traditions take it to a scarier level. They indicate that a woman ‘s only meaningful role and usefulness is quelling her husband ‘s lust. For a orthodox muslims who condemn the Western culture of degrading women to sex tools, this is disappointing.
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:20pm On Nov 17, 2014

SAHIH BUKHARI – VOLUME 3, #432:

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri that while he was sitting with Allah’s messenger we said, “Oh Allah’s messenger, we got female captives as our booty, and we are interested in their prices, what is your opinion about coit.us interruptus?” The prophet said, “Do you really do that? It is better for you not to do it. No soul that which Allah has destined to exist, but will surely come into existence.”

Here, the warriors ask the Prophet if they can perform coitus interruptus or just have regular sex with their female captives. Muhammad of orthodox Islamic teachings seem to prefer the latter option. This indicate that in orthodox Islamic culture, sex with female slave or captives is permited for masters whether the slaves consent to it or not. Throughout the ages, sex slaves and concubines have been sanctioned by Muslim clerics in spite of their hard stance against sex outside marriage.

They achieved this after distorting Qur’an interpretation and authenticating fabricated hadith such as;

Sunan an-Nasa’i 1125 Book 12, Hadith 97

It was narrated that Aishah said: “I noticed that the Messenger of Allah was missing and I thought he had gone to visit one of his concubines, so I looked for him and found him prostrating and saying: ‘O Allah, forgive me for what (sin) I have concealed and what I have done openly’.

So much for women empowerment in Orthodox Islam.
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:22pm On Nov 17, 2014
3. DIVORCE

“Talaaq(Divorce) is the right of the one who seizes the leg (i.e., consummates the marriage)” i.e., the husband. (Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 2081)

The decision to divorce at any time, place or for any reason is the full right of the men. A wife cannot object this decision. A wife may request her husband divorced her although he is not obliged to grant her request. A woman who want divorce but her husband refuses to grant her may report to a Judge. Again, the Judge is not obliged to grant her request and break the marriage. He decides if her case is genuine or not. Regardless of the woman need divorce a Judge may decide her case isn’t genuine it, leaving her with no choice but to return to her husband.

If the Judge decides her case is genuine, he grant her divorce(specially known as Khul) but in return, she must compensate her ex-husband with no less than her dowry. This ruling is justified by orthodox muslim jurist based on the following tradition:
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:24pm On Nov 17, 2014

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5273
The wife of Thaabit ibn Qays ibn Shammaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I do not find any fault with Thaabit ibn Qays in his character or his religious commitment, but I do not want to commit any act of kufr after becoming a Muslim.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to her, “Will you give back his garden?” Because he had given her a garden as her mahr. She said, “Yes.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to Thaabit: “Take back your garden, and divorce her.”

Imagine for once being a wife and having to go through all these just to divorce an oppressive husband. Add to this the orthodox Muslim societal pressure against women seeking divorce and you ‘ll find it may not always be worth it.

You cannot deny that the divorce rules of Orthodox Islam need to be balanced. The husband have excessive freedom to even abuse the rules while the wives have too limited space to benefit.
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:25pm On Nov 17, 2014
Despite these proofs, my posts were deleted and i was banned for a forthnight on charges of posting ‘false information’. If this wasn’t driven by intellectual dishonesty, it is based on ignorance.

Wherever religious ignorance, fanaticism and bigotry is championed over reason, dialogue and open mindedness, freedom of speech suffers and truth is elusive. Hence people are penalized, attacked or killed for merely expressing opinions.

Each time i get victimized by Islam section agents, my faith in rejecting their traditions(Ahadith/Sunna) whilst upholding the Qur’an is strengthened by uncovering strong evidence against them.

Barely 6 hours after my recent ban, i found another tradition of theirs that severely diminishes or demonize women ‘s right to divorce against their husband ‘s will;
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:26pm On Nov 17, 2014

Jami At Tirmidhi
The Book on Divorce and Li’an, Hadith 13
Thawban narrated that:
The Prophet said: “The women who seek a Khul(divorce) are hypocrites.”
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 3:31pm On Nov 17, 2014
We heterodox Muslims seldom employ repressive tactics to overcome our critics. We stand for moderation, secularism, rationality, freedom of speech and we maintain these values in our forums(http://free-minds.org/forum).

Rather than respecting themselves, fanatic muslims exploit our liberal and open policies, registering in our forums to ridicule or belittle us. But in their own forums(e.g http://www.ummah.com/forum/), even criticism or questioning is not welcomed.

In your quest to learn Islam, be wary of getting brainwashed or cajoled by evangelical Muslims preaching peace, justice, women empowerment e.t.c. Whereas their traditions rule stoning adulterers, amputating limbs of theives, killing apostates, subjecting non-Muslim minorities to a humiliating poll tax(Jizya), offensive Jihad(warefare) against non-Muslim states to install sharia. Be mindful of goody two shoes or self-righteous who have no idea of how ugly the ideology they subscribe to is or just choose denial rather than admit the cold the truth.

Have Faith:::
http://www.quranicpath.com/quranicpath/index.html
http://www.quran-islam.org/home_%28P1%29.html
http://flamesoftruth./2014/11/17/because-of-this-article/
Re: Because Of This Article.... by holatin(m): 8:43am On Nov 19, 2014
let me do some research
Re: Because Of This Article.... by usermane(m): 11:16am On Jul 28, 2018
One of my favorite post. Good old days.

(1) (Reply)

Tanzania Bans Witch Doctors Over Albino Attack / ISIS Fighter Converts To Christianity After A Clinical Death Experience / What Apostle Suleiman Actually Prophesied

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.