Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? (1765 Views)

Banks Now Discourage Savings / Who Is An Entrepreneur? How Can She Survive In An Unfriendly Govt. Economy?? / Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by kay29000(m): 3:00pm On Nov 17, 2014
It is very funny cos it is meant to be the other way round, but I have discovered that friends and family always discourage entrepreneurs that are working on going into a new line of business. Why is it so? Why are human beings naturally negative. You tell them about a new business you want to go into, and all they can do is tell you all the reasons why it wouldn't work.

Some weeks ago, I decided to finally go into the poultry business...a business I had been wanting to go into since I was a kid. The first friend I told said "Kay, poultry business no easy o! It is very capital intensive. And you can't even meet December market again." Another one said, "I'm sorry to say, but you can't be successful in that line, I know you, and you can't create time for poultry."

This were meant to be my friends. And they were filling me with nothing but negative energy. Thank God that my family members know I have always had passion for poultry business, and thus they encouraged me on, if not, I wouldn't have made it this far. 4 weeks in, and the chicks are now chickens, and 4 weeks away from maturity...right timing for December market. Of cos it hasn't been easy, I faced some hitches along the way, but which business doesn't have risks? What in life is not a risks? Even going to the market is a risk, as you can get knocked down by an okada...so, why are people naturally negetive? Is it a Nigerian thing?
Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 17, 2014
Bros I tire oh..i'm going through the same ordeal..And btw,I'm looking for a biz partner.Interested persons should contact.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by psyqs(m): 3:50pm On Nov 17, 2014
u r very ryt, some kind of jealousy or wat? i dnt kno.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by abhosts(m): 5:16pm On Nov 17, 2014
Nice post! This should be on Front page.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by 40dogzz(m): 8:08pm On Nov 17, 2014
Coz they want u 2 countine the rat race of moving in circles like them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 17, 2014
40dogzz:

guy you get bad mouth oh! grin grin
Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by jamaicanoshu(m): 8:57pm On Nov 17, 2014
This happens a lot amongst black people all over the world.We don't have a lot of trust for each other. WE DON'T THINK AS A GROUP we only see ourselves as individuals. Sometimes there are exceptions like the igbo's. Anyway, if you think it is bad over there ,be very thankful that you were born in Nigeria.You guys still have your cultural laws like the Igbo's,or the Oba system like the Yoruba's or the Fulani/Hausa with with their religious laws. This gives you a massive advantage over us in the Caribbean and in America.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by arsetalks(m): 9:09pm On Nov 17, 2014
It is cos they want you to do well. I have a saying "Family want you to do well, but they will never allow you do well".

I have come to learn it is fear of one failing that makes family actually push one to failure.

They want you to do well, they dream it but unintentionally they won't allow you do well.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by kay29000(m): 11:07pm On Nov 17, 2014
arsetalks:
It is cos they want you to do well. I have a saying "Family want you to do well, but they will never allow you do well".

I have come to learn it is fear of one failing that makes family actually push one to failure.

They want you to do well, they dream it but unintentionally they won't allow you do well.

Men! You summed it up. So true. Family members want you to do well, but they don't actually give you the room to do so. Friends matter is another story though.
Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by kay29000(m): 11:09pm On Nov 17, 2014
jamaicanoshu:
This happens a lot amongst black people all over the world.We don't have a lot of trust for each other. WE DON'T THINK AS A GROUP we only see ourselves as individuals. Sometimes there are exceptions like the igbo's. Anyway, if you think it is bad over there ,be very thankful that you were born in Nigeria.You guys still have your cultural laws like the Igbo's,or the Oba system like the Yoruba's or the Fulani/Hausa with with their religious laws. This gives you a massive advantage over us in the Caribbean and in America.

Hmm! So true. Black people...we are our own biggest problem.
Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by kay29000(m): 11:10pm On Nov 17, 2014
40dogzz:

True.
Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by caesaraba(m): 6:46am On Nov 18, 2014
It's really crazy walahi! We all faced it at the beginning and are still facing it. From the moment you chose your business onwards. The moment you experience one little glitch in the course of running your business, they increase the volume of discouraging voices. When you lose 2 or 3 chicks (which is a constant in poultry business) some of those people would make it seem like it's because you are failing blah blah and looking at you with ”We told you" faces. Prepare yourself for that. The hardest part of business in the early days and a lot of other times is staying in business. Anytime you hear anyone say anything in the context of leaving your business, reply in your heart, ”Leave it for what?” Don't say it out loud, you don't want to hear the gibberish they'll spew back as answers.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by dasanchez1(m): 7:03am On Nov 18, 2014
caesaraba:
It's really crazy walahi! We all faced it at the beginning and are still facing it. From the moment you chose your business onwards. The moment you experience one little glitch in the course of running your business, they increase the volume of discouraging voices. When you lose 2 or 3 chicks (which is a constant in poultry business) some of those people would make it seem like it's because you are failing blah blah and looking at you with ”We told you" faces. Prepare yourself for that. The hardest part of business in the early days and a lot of other times is staying in business. Anytime you hear anyone say anything in the context of leaving your business, reply in your heart, ”Leave it for what?” Don't say it out loud, you don't want to hear the gibberish they'll spew back as answers.
nice comment

1 Like

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by chidekings(m): 7:05am On Nov 18, 2014
bro ur right,i dont know if it gives people some special joy to think all negative about somethings.

Truth is this life is a risk,and for u to make it in life,u must be a risk taker

1 Like

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by kay29000(m): 8:09am On Nov 18, 2014
caesaraba:

Lovely. I love this part of your comment.
Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by kay29000(m): 8:10am On Nov 18, 2014
chidekings:
bro ur right,i dont know if it gives people some special joy to think all negative about somethings.

Truth is this life is a risk,and for u to make it in life,u must be a risk taker

That's a fact.
Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by newacca: 9:05am On Nov 18, 2014
I won't say you should forsake your relative and friends, but identify the fire lighters among them and roll with them. The picture below illustrates what I mean.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by dein77(m): 9:13am On Nov 18, 2014
It's really weird. They're supposed to be a sourceof eencouragement and inspiration, but they've proven to be the opposite.

I can't really put a finger as to why it is this way. But one thing is sure: they discourage you from taking risks. More or less like their over protectiveness becoming a stumbling block to your increase and growth.

Exactly the reason I keep a lot of them out of the loop whenever I'm trying to venture into some kind of business.
Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 18, 2014
It is simple, if they encourage you, they will have to part with their funds to support you and nobody wants to invest in a pipe dream project (At least that is what they think it is.) On the other hand, their resolve in trying to discourage you helps in a negative way because nothing good comes easy.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by owunne2ucheks(m): 12:30pm On Nov 18, 2014
I am owunne uchechi.I am an enterprenuer,still very much young just like you with age on my side.Due to our kinds are few,we are always the endangered spacie.people look at us as if we are westing our time.some even think we are building castle I the air.It's obvious that there is going to be a lot of frustrated educated nigerian youths in future.go to university get good grades
And get employed.they want to be secured and comfortable alone.the bad news is that you can never be secured by having a job security.for you that want to be rich,secured and
Confortable,the only way you can do that Is owning your own business or being a part of a big thing that the market will need before the market will start needing it.If you believe on creating something big that the market will need before the market will start needing it contact me with(08187803879,BBM:2A400217,whatssapp and 2go).for our kinds to survive we need to be there for each other-we need to work as a team.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by kay29000(m): 12:52pm On Nov 18, 2014
blogexpert:
It is simple, if they encourage you, they will have to part with their funds to support you and nobody wants to invest in a pipe dream project (At least that is what they think it is.) On the other hand, their resolve in trying to discourage you helps in a negative way because nothing good comes easy.

That's true sha.
Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by chidekings(m): 10:18am On Jan 20, 2015
front page pls.

CCC seun

1 Like

Re: Why Do Friends And Family Discourage You From Being An Entrepreneur? by Raylight2(m): 10:47am On Jan 20, 2015
experiencing same even from my best friend but God and my family got my back and are happy for it.

(1) (Reply)

MMM: How It Affects The Banks – Bankers / Do You Need A Professional Web Designed For Your Business/a Graphics Designer / If You Have not Been Paid For Using Social Media , Then You Must See This !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.