Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,332 members, 7,780,868 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:18 AM

Let Us Take Care Of Ourselves - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Let Us Take Care Of Ourselves (1101 Views)

Let Me Take Care Of Your Skin Now / Female: How To Take Care Of Your Vagina / I will LOVE to Volunteer to Take Care Of EBOLA Patients (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let Us Take Care Of Ourselves by Nobody: 11:21pm On Nov 17, 2014
Please folks,endeavor to get full physical examinations with blood work done annually or biennially
Let us also learn and take care of ourselves as we help our brother DJDOLA
With symptoms of ill health,as we pray,let us also get to the doctor,a good doctor not a roadside clinic,herbal healers or faith healers and " chemists"
Things deteriorate and get complicated when we wait longer than necessary or self medicate
Some things we cannot help but Many deaths in NIgeria are of treatable and preventable causes

Anything abnormal you notice in your body must be investigated by a licensed professional doctor with experience and reputation

Let me list some common things to watch out for
There are a host of them ,this list is in no way comprehensive

1. Unusual discharge from any part of your body
2. A lump anywhere in your body e,g breast,armpit ,groin area,neck etc
3. An ulcer especially a painless ulcer anywhere in your body that is not healing after two weeks
4. Blood in your stool or urine
5. Feeling sick and treated for malaria and still sick
6. Cough that doesn't resolve with or without cough medicine
7. Difficulty breathing,passing urine,or difficulty with other functions
8.- general feeling of unwell or unexplained weakness and no resolution
9.yellowing of eyes
10. Feet or ankles swelling even if they become better in the course of the day
11. Unusual change in bowel movements like diarrhea or constipation
12. Unusual hunger,thirst or urinating excessively
13. Unexplained weight loss or weight gain
14. Puffiness under the eyes
15.pain at intercourse or spotting blood in between your menstrual period

7 Likes

Re: Let Us Take Care Of Ourselves by GboyegaD(m): 11:35pm On Nov 17, 2014
Thanks doctor. I hope we all learn a thing or two from this.
Re: Let Us Take Care Of Ourselves by grinface98(m): 11:49pm On Nov 17, 2014
Thanks doc!
Re: Let Us Take Care Of Ourselves by Nobody: 1:03am On Nov 18, 2014
So true,thanks.
Re: Let Us Take Care Of Ourselves by Nobody: 5:11am On Nov 18, 2014
babyosisi:

8.- general feeling of unwell or unexplained weakness and no resolution

Pls could you throw more light on this
Re: Let Us Take Care Of Ourselves by Nobody: 5:14am On Nov 18, 2014
I always make it a point to ask cancer patients or survivors how their cancers were diagnosed and without fail most of the survivors noticed something abnormal in their body and questioned it.
One I remember well is a 25 year old female who was a breast cancer survivor
Seems too young eh?
Yes it is but they do exist
She was taking a bath one day and noticed a lump which turned out to be a cancer
A colleague of mine just had a double mastectomy and still out of work,she also noticed a lump in her breast and armpit and went for her regular mammogram and cancer was suspected,the focal mammogram said same thing,an ultrasound same and a biopsy confirmed it was cancer.
By the time all these tests were done and she was scheduled for surgery,a space of 6 weeks,one of the spots had grown a whole cm.
It took that long because she had no faith in the doctors she was seeing and transferee to another facility for care and it delayed the surgery.

Ladies, know your breasts
Stay in a mirror and palpate your self including underarms monthly after your periods
Check for lumps,any changes on the skin of the breast,any discharges ,even a rash around the nipples
A lump doesn't mean you have a cancer,it could just be a cyst but don't ignore them
If over 40 years of age go for annual mammograms if they are available to you
There is a myth that breast cancer only happens in people with a family history ,The truth is that only a small percentage of breast cancer patients have a family history
Most do not ,so a negative family history doesn't mean you are out of the loop
The woman I talked about had no nuclear or extended family history of breast or any cancers yet she was diagnosed

Men if you thought men don't get breast cancers,think again
They do
The figures are small,men do have breast tissue so they can also get breast cancers

1 Like

Re: Let Us Take Care Of Ourselves by Nobody: 5:21am On Nov 18, 2014
solomonslones:

Pls could you throw more light on this

Many medical conditions leave patients feeling generally unwell
It is usually described medically as " flu like symptoms"

Like you are about to come down with malaria ,is the way an average Nigerian will describe it
Americans will say the person is under the weather or doesn't feel too good.

The patient will complain of general body weakness,aches and pains,a headache,sometimes with a slight fever and a lack of energy .

That is the general symptoms for almost everything including initial symptoms of HIV.
If it persists or is accompanied by other symptoms like a rash or progressively gets worse till you are unable To do the things you would normally do,you should have it investigated.
Re: Let Us Take Care Of Ourselves by Nobody: 7:34am On Nov 18, 2014
babyosisi:

Many medical conditions leave patients feeling generally unwell
It is usually described medically as " flu like symptoms"

Like you are about to come down with malaria ,is the way an average Nigerian will describe it
Americans will say the person is under the weather or doesn't feel too good.

The patient will complain of general body weakness,aches and pains,a headache,sometimes with a slight fever and a lack of energy .

That is the general symptoms for almost everything including initial symptoms of HIV.
If it persists or is accompanied by other symptoms like a rash or progressively gets worse till you are unable To do the things you would normally do,you should have it investigated.

I guess thats similar to malaise

my cousin complained of weakness & this feeling of being unwell, his CBC was normal according to them & a blood smear revealed he had hypochromea(hope I got the spelling) they said it was iron deficiency

he was given iron supplement, the symptoms stopped but resurfaced again though on a lesser scale

so what other test can he run? Is there a test that can actually tell the amount of iron in the body?

Could something else be the cause of the weakness & malaise?

He has done

Hep B
HIV
blood sugar
They were all good, his BP is normal too

(1) (Reply)

Gano And Chaga !!! What Is This???? / I Want To Burn Fat And Reduce My Weight- Help / Five Things You Must Avoid Before Sleeping At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.