Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,313 members, 7,808,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

What's The Deal With "Baby On Board" Signs? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's The Deal With "Baby On Board" Signs? (512 Views)

Wife Quarrels With Husband, Dumps Six-month-old Baby On Waste / Woman With Baby Sits In The Middle Of Road Around Lagos Government House / Lucky Cow 'Bless' Pregnant Women With Baby Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What's The Deal With "Baby On Board" Signs? by simplyOJ(m): 3:43pm On Nov 18, 2014
In the article on Quartz.com, which argues that parenting has become an all-encompassing religion, “Baby on Board” signs are held up as a key example of how our culture values the lives of infants above all others.

Nobody would have placed such a sign on a car if it were not already understood by society that the life of a human achieves its peak value at birth and declines thereafter. A toddler is almost as precious as a baby, but a teenager less so, and by the time that baby turns fifty, it seems that nobody cares much anymore if someone crashes into her car. You don’t see a lot of vehicles with placards that read, “Middle-aged accountant on board.”

The accountant joke aside, there’s a serious point to be made here. While babies are more vulnerable to injury, shouldn’t we be driving carefully no matter who is on the neighboring car?

1 Like

Re: What's The Deal With "Baby On Board" Signs? by crackhaus: 4:45pm On Nov 18, 2014
The baby-on-board sign has more to do with the car holding it than with other motorists - kind of like saying, please be patient with my driving; there's a baby on board so I'm driving a bit slower and being more cautious, ergo, don't honk your horn unnecessarily, or drive too closely behind, or try to cut sharply into my lane from the front.

It basically works the same way as with a car carrying the 'L' sign.

Unfortunately in Nigeria, most motorists don't give a sh1t what sign you're carrying - the only cars they're careful around and fearful of are those with law-enforcement sirens.

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Father Beats Son For Disrupting Get Together With Wife In Bed At Night / 5 Things To Get Right On Your Wedding Day / I Just Found Out A Mad Person Is My Friend On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.