Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor (89773 Views)

A UNILAG Babe's Twitter Love Story / Life Of A Unilag Student / My Complicated Love Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by maclatunji: 4:24pm On Nov 18, 2014
This is a brilliant and touching story by Roy Ofili. I thought it would be great to share it here.

maclatunji:

Something interesting happened on my way to Oshodi this morning. At the park this rough mean-looking conductor also known as “agbero” in Yoruba was screaming for passengers, his vernacular oscillating between Yoruba and pidgin English.

“Oshod! Oshod!” He shouted angrily as I along with some other passengers scuttled for seats. There was this beautiful young lady who couldn’t throw caution and decorum to the wind but waited patiently until the bus was almost filled. Then she pleaded to sit by the agbero until somebody came down then she would pay for a proper seat.

The agbero didn’t even look at her pretty face, he hissed and shouted to the driver to move that why didn’t she rush when others were rushing. The girl started pleading in Yoruba and clean ‘oyinbo’ english; “please, ejó, help me out sir, I know you are a good man, never mind all this shout you have been shouting (people burst into laughter). Let me sit by your side please”.

Finally with much squeezing of face the agbero relented and she sat beside him. It was a tight squeeze but she didn’t complain but rather started praising the agbero. He in turn started teasing her, speaking (and sometimes spitting by mistake) into her face but the girl never looked away, she never let the smile leave her face. He asked her where she worked and she replied that she was a student in the University of Lagos (UNILAG) studying accounting. He teased her in Yoruba about her boyfriend and car (maybe asking why her boyfriend didn’t drop her at her destination…she laughed it off and continued to gist with the guy in Yoruba.

When she reached her junction the agbero alighted the bus for her to come down. She did and paid her transport fare, then the agbero told her to give him a peck on the cheek for being so ‘gentlemanly’. At this point some of us became indignant, haba! He had been teasing her since, he should let her go. Another argument almost ensued between the agbero and the passengers although it was not as if the agbero was really serious, he told her to go. Then it happened! She jumped forward and gave him a peck on the cheek! We all shouted, the agbero was quiet out of surprise. She then waved bye and ran down to her street.

The driver and other people started to hail the agbero, see hailing! The guy was just forming boss, saying he knew he was irresistible etc and others were yabbing (taunting) him, some were yabbing the girl and we moved on and suddenly the bus was quiet, show over. Then the agbero put his head down and became uncharacteristically quiet. The driver soon asked the guy why he wasn’t calling out bus-stop abi the girl don do am jazz (cast a spell on him). The agbero said something in Yoruba I didn’t get and then his voice became emotional and believe it or not HE STARTED CRYING. Others were now consoling him in Yoruba. When I asked what the problem was, the lady beside me explained that the agbero said he just realised he would never be able to get a girl like that in his life because he’s an uneducated bus conductor and she was going to be a graduate. He was weeping because he knew no girl of her class might ever do to him what that girl just did, to touch a dirty person like himself; that the girl is nice and well brought-up and if he had money he would have chased after her. So the passengers were consoling him in Yoruba that he would go higher in life and be able to marry a girl like that. He should not cry because itwas not the end of the road for him.

That really touched me.

For a moment in that agbero’s life, his facade of a street thug fell away and he was a vulnerable emotional aspiring young man, just like everybody else.

Source: http://storried.com/the-love-story-of-a-unilag-babe-and-a-bus-conductor/

686 Likes 162 Shares

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 18, 2014
even thugs cry'
very touching

88 Likes

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by joeace2020(m): 4:41pm On Nov 18, 2014
Please pass me the handkerchief.... sobs uncontrollably

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by Merlissa(f): 4:48pm On Nov 18, 2014
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by baba11(m): 4:52pm On Nov 18, 2014
Reading it, I was just laughing throughout but for correction's sake,it's not agbero but rather simply bus conductor...The guy can still enrol in adult class...there's still more time to do that....maybe he ll just need to have mentors...that's all!!!!!lobatan cool shocked tongue

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by maclatunji: 5:09pm On Nov 18, 2014
baba11:
Reading it, I was just laughing throughout but for correction's sake,it's not agbero but rather simply bus conductor...The guy can still enrol in adult class...there's still more time to do that....maybe he ll just need to have mentors...that's all!!!!!lobatan cool shocked tongue

What is "conductor" in Yoruba?

35 Likes

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by maclatunji: 5:09pm On Nov 18, 2014
joeace2020:
Please pass me the handkerchief.... sobs uncontrollably

Here it is bro... grin grin grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by baba11(m): 5:15pm On Nov 18, 2014
maclatunji:

What is "conductor" in Yoruba?
In Lagos term,agberos are the thugs who collect tool from commercial driver s while conductor is someone that collects money from passengers inside a bus.

21 Likes

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by yuzjet(m): 5:16pm On Nov 18, 2014
....And what a story? wink

Some people can cook story ehn.... Anyway, picture of the girl kissing the Bus Conductor and the picture of the Bus Conductor crying after the girl left..... U should know I won't believe it.

undecided
Meanwhile, there's going to be the Launching of Nairaland Poet e-club. U can join by following this link:

www.nairaland.com/2003709/launching-nairaland-poet-e-club

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by donigspain(m): 5:16pm On Nov 18, 2014
Quite an interesting read.

Bus conductors are actually humans. Sometimes the problem lies in the way we approach them like they are society rejects. The times I have tried to communicate with them in a friendly and caring tone have showed me that under those bloodshot eyes lies a gentle soul yearning for love and affection.

117 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by eemalex(m): 5:16pm On Nov 18, 2014
Only if it was a true life incident. Lol Super Story things

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 18, 2014

1 Like

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by seapson(m): 5:17pm On Nov 18, 2014
Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by MizMyColi(f): 5:17pm On Nov 18, 2014

1 Like

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by maclatunji: 5:17pm On Nov 18, 2014
baba11:

In Lagos term,agberos are the thugs who collect tool from commercial driver s while conductor is someone that collects money from passengers inside a bus.

Forget the corruption of the term, what is "conductor" in Yoruba?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by Adesam09(m): 5:18pm On Nov 18, 2014
This story is "funnily emotional "
it is "Interestingly sad"

29 Likes

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 18, 2014
Reading FC

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by sunnydayasaba(m): 5:19pm On Nov 18, 2014
Story for the gods.....Tales by moonlight

2 Likes

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by gbodimowo(m): 5:20pm On Nov 18, 2014
OK
Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by UjSizzle(f): 5:20pm On Nov 18, 2014
Such a heartfelt story.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by clean2: 5:20pm On Nov 18, 2014
Repent now of your sinful evil ways to avoid spending your eternity in hell fire,,,,Jesus christ love and warn you to repent and convert now to christianity to avoid spending your eternity in hell fire when you die.

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by emeviks: 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2014
When you show love to someone, the person becomes emotional based on the way he/she has been seeing him/herself. There is that 'softness' in everyone of us,no matter how tough u are.... Love is God.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by lekanolaolu: 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2014
That's emotional. Handkerchief please!

6 Likes

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by Suxes(m): 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2014
baba11:

Aperosoko

11 Likes

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by merieam16(f): 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2014
Nah real touchin story buh find myself laffin hahahahahahahahahahagrin
Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by rhymesteey(f): 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2014
So emotional grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by 4tunebest(f): 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2014
Quite touching

1 Like

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by duni04(m): 5:22pm On Nov 18, 2014
undecided
Unilag student pecks an Agbero. Front page!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by dlex21(m): 5:23pm On Nov 18, 2014
Funny but touching

1 Like

Re: Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor by maclatunji: 5:23pm On Nov 18, 2014
I just learnt a lesson, I need to get in touch with the makers of tissue* grin grin grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Witches And Wizards / The Bang Rule Pdf File Pls / My Personal Taste..(18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.