Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,508 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:50 PM

Voice From Dahomey - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Voice From Dahomey (1545 Views)

Unknown Historical Figures: The Fighting Women Of Dahomey / Dahomey Women Warriors - Nigerias Deadliest Fighting Force! / Dahomey’s Women Warriors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Voice From Dahomey by 2prexios: 8:26pm On Nov 18, 2014
Jo mijor hoho,
mini gbo bo noh hoho re si gbe jie

Joh mijoh hoho,
mini gbo bo no hoho re si gbeji.

Do hoho whenu, awanja he kenfe hunor domoh
hoho whenu mi to jeh aion meh, mi se do votun wehyin,

Johgbe miton, mi so se doh ahoru wheyin,
Me e gona da gbe jo...

Zangun-rogo whe da sanbo mi to jaasin tho.

Jo mi jo hoho.............

We are from the ancients.
lets stay with the voice of the ancients.

We are from the ancients.
lets stay with the voice of the ancients.

In the ancient times when we came to be,
We learn that our origin was sacred.

We also learn that the king was subordinate
to the father of creation.

Zangunrogo weh daszanbo mitoh jaasintho (unbreakable to me).

Zangbohan, I love this tune, so much.
But I am at lost at the sentences I couldn't break.

Music is love in motion, and that little is enough.
And this is dedicated to my Ogu folks here on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Voice From Dahomey by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 18, 2014
Man, I love the Dahomey history. Read it in 2011. Can't remember the book-source.
Re: Voice From Dahomey by 2prexios: 9:00pm On Nov 22, 2014
Vessi:
Man, I love the Dahomey history. Read it in 2011. Can't remember the book-source.
That is where I had my cultural awakening and fall in love with history, at the homestead of migrants from Dahomey. They are cool people, and their history and culture is fascinating. Their music is heavenly and with it goes ancient chants and lyrics filled with pathos.

1 Like

Re: Voice From Dahomey by tpia6: 9:08pm On Nov 22, 2014
2prexios:
That is where I had my cultural awakening and fall in love with history, at the homestead of migrants from Dahomey. They are cool people, and their history and culture is fascinating. Their music is heavenly and with it goes ancient chants and lyrics filled with pathos.

i thought you used to say your mum is from dahomey.
Re: Voice From Dahomey by 2prexios: 9:45pm On Nov 22, 2014
tpia6:

i thought you used to say your mum is from dahomey.
Yes, but they are Nigerians. They (maternal 'greatest grandpa') relocated in the 19th century from Vacon, (like Ifako) to Ado. Most of their folksong sound similar to the bolojo tunes of Yewa, their Yoruba neighbours. Sometimes, you will encounter shared-words between 'Yoruba-homey', but you wont recognise it easily. Like others, they (mom's peep) are remnants of Ogu people to be found in Ado-Odo Ota, Ogun state.

1 Like

Re: Voice From Dahomey by tpia6: 9:58pm On Nov 22, 2014
if your mum's maternal great or great great grandpa was "dahomean", how did that make her from dahomey?
Re: Voice From Dahomey by 2prexios: 11:55pm On Nov 22, 2014
tpia6:
if your mum's maternal great or great great grandpa was "dahomean", how did that make her from dahomey?
They are still connected to the place and they usually bury part of the remains of the members of their family at Benin. It's like the place is their first and foremost home and here, a home away from home. Two of my siblings have been to the root, I am one among my contemporaries that hasnt been to vacon.
Re: Voice From Dahomey by tpia6: 12:35am On Nov 23, 2014
hm
Re: Voice From Dahomey by 2prexios: 8:25am On Nov 24, 2014
tpia6:
Oh my, I mean to say my maternal great, great grandpa and not my mum's maternal greatest grandpa. I was half awake when I made the post.
Re: Voice From Dahomey by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 25, 2014
Is this what your "maternal, great, great grandpa" looked like?

1 Like

Re: Voice From Dahomey by 2prexios: 7:58pm On Nov 25, 2014
Great pix, the guy is cool, but my great ancestor was a prince, according to their trad. He was 'Ahoru Jaca ni'vi'. A king son. My great granpa has a pix in which he wore Aso Oke and Abeti Aja. So I think Yoruba attire is close home.
Re: Voice From Dahomey by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 25, 2014
What's abeti aja?
How close are the dahomeys to the yorubas?
Are the dahomeys also called Anangos?
Re: Voice From Dahomey by 2prexios: 12:22am On Nov 26, 2014
Zeemoor:
What's abeti aja?
How close are the dahomeys to the yorubas?
Are the dahomeys also called Anangos?
Abeti Aja is a kind of traditional cap common with Yoruba and the Hausa/fulani. It is similar to hat (akete) where you have two triangular flips at either side of the cap. The Dahomey are Yoruba neighbours to the west. Their name Egun is intelligible in Yoruba where it means 'the tall'. This pertains with Dan, the boa, a totem of Dahomey/Oranmiyan. The Egun has it (Egun) as Agun, as in Agun me nu: this mean 'a native of Agun' But Agun in Yoruba means Agbo, flock. Agunmeh is similar to Agbome (Abomey) Agbo is Yoruba, omeh is Egun, such Yoruba/Egun medly are rampart. The Egun identifies Yoruba as annaGo nu or Ayo nu. They call Lagos, Ahonrin (Awon orin: the migrants') and Ado, Gesse. Eguns were Fon (n fan, i said: Yoruba, Ifo, speech) and Alada (Yoruba, one weilding dagger) or Adja (Yoruba, fighters). The Yoruba says O-FON to border the Fon.

2 Likes

Re: Voice From Dahomey by tpia5: 6:48pm On Nov 28, 2014
2prexios:
Oh my, I mean to say my maternal great, great grandpa and not my mum's maternal greatest grandpa.

that seems a long way back imo.

you cant say your mum is from there, but rather, she has ancestry from there.

unless the ancestry is more recent.
Re: Voice From Dahomey by 2prexios: 12:47pm On Nov 29, 2014
tpia5:

that seems a long way back imo.

you cant say your mum is from there, but rather, she has ancestry from there.

unless the ancestry is more recent.
Thats true, we learn something new everyday.
Re: Voice From Dahomey by tpiah2: 12:47am On Nov 30, 2014
yes we do.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

R / Nje O Ti Wo Pata Olokun Ati Sokoto Sofe Ri? / Second Marriage Astrology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.