Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. (1311 Views)

Woman Delivered From The 'spirit Of Madness' At Lagos Church (Photos) / Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns. / Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by Ukutsgp(m): 7:18am On Nov 19, 2014
1 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” 4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. -John3:1-6.

what does it mean to be born of water and the spirit from verse 5 above?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by Ezedon(m): 7:31am On Nov 19, 2014
Water baptism and Holy Ghost baptism. Acts 1:8

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by Ukutsgp(m): 9:17am On Nov 19, 2014
Ezedon:
does water always represent baptism in the bible?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by ichuka(m): 3:01pm On Nov 19, 2014
It means been dead to the world(born of water) and led completely by the Holy Spirit(born of the Spirit)

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by Ukutsgp(m): 3:52pm On Nov 19, 2014
ichuka:
It means been dead to the world(born of water) and led completely by the Holy Spirit(born of the Spirit)
can u throw more light on it? i dnt get u.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by Goshen360(m): 4:08pm On Nov 19, 2014
ichuka:

Endorsed.

I will just add this,

Born of water = by of\by the WORD.
Born of the Spirit = The Holy Spirit.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by Ukutsgp(m): 4:48pm On Nov 19, 2014
Goshen360:

Endorsed.

I will just add this,

Born of water = by of\by the WORD.
Born of the Spirit = The Holy Spirit.

u are absolutely correct. this is the main point. all other views are not correct. some people think that born of water here implies baptism. but it is not.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by MrPresident1: 9:58pm On Nov 19, 2014
Ephesians 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

John 6:63
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

The water and the spirit mean the same thing. The water cleanses by the word
...And the word is spirit and life.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The Bible = The Word = Jesus Christ = God

Romans 12:2
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

When your mind is renewed, and obeying the laws, statutes, and commandments of God becomes your nature, then you have truly become born of water and spirit and are now in the kingdom of God.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by Ukutsgp(m): 1:44pm On Nov 21, 2014
Mrpresident. That's a nice one.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by Ukutsgp(m): 6:17am On Nov 23, 2014
water=word

spirit= the holyspirit.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by esere826: 11:38am On Nov 23, 2014
Ukutsgp:
1 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” 4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. -John3:1-6.

what does being born mean?
it means to be pushed down or out from inside the body of a female, and thus bearing the xteristics and reaction to the environment of the creature that birthed you.

There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
Here, Jesus says "Ahhh, Nicho, you seeing and acknowledged what I am doing is interesting. Folks whose minds have not been renewed ( born again) cannot see it."

4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Jesus replies "Nicho, ....this question wen u ask me tells me something about the rebirth you have had so far. You dey try, but u still have some more rebirthing to go. You know the 3 states of matter, solid, liquid then gas. animals that live on land give birth to land animals. These animals behave like land animals too and cannot fly. Animals that survive in the air give birth to animals that can survive in the air.

Nicho,... you have seen the kingdom, but you need to continue the rebirth process so that you reach a stage that you can fly like the wind/spirit and get into the kingdom
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by dein77(m): 11:42am On Nov 23, 2014
This is one of those verses i dont seem to understand.

KJV sometimes dey confuse me.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by Lex11(m): 4:40pm On Nov 23, 2014
Ukutsgp:

--------------
Simply put my friend...

Water = the word of GOD, the Holy Bible. We are saved/spiritually & miraculously reborn when we come under the hearing of the word of GOD, by the operation of GOD because "the word of God is living..." (Hebrew 4:12). GOD washes us/His church in Christ with the word -> "That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word" - Ephesians 5:26... "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." - Romans 10:17

Born of the Spirit = Occurs simultaneously with the hearing of the word of GOD, at the moment GOD saves someone... "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise," Ephesians 1:13.... "To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father." - Galatians 4:5-6

Water baptism is merely a sign. Only GOD Himself can cause a person to be truly born of the water of the word and the Holy Spirit. (John 1:12-13)
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by twosquare(m): 7:39am On Nov 24, 2014
Ukutsgp:

for
entrance into the kingdom of God. We need to be born of water and born of the Spirit (Jn. 3:5). Being born of THE WATER and THE SPIRIT are two unique births of God's word. There is the word of God that is WATER and there is the word of God that is SPIRIT.

Water here isn't physical water, but rather a state of The Word. When that word works on you, it prepares you for a more solid aspect of the word which is His Spirit. The water of the word prepares you to connect something much stronger; the Spirit. One is sticker than the other just like blood and water (Jn. 19:34/1Jn 5:6-8 ).
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by italo: 10:33am On Nov 24, 2014
All of you saying being born of water = being born of the word,

You have not told us where you derive this teaching from...from Sacred Scripture or from your personal tradition?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by Kobojunkie: 9:42pm On May 18, 2023
Ukutsgp:
■ what does it mean to be born of water and the spirit from verse 5 above?
To be Born of Water means being baptized into the New Covenant and Law, Jesus Christ, the new source of Living water for those who are born again. Water baptism, as explained by John the Baptist in Matthew 3 vs 7 - 11 & Luke 3 vs 2 - 18 & Mark 1 vs 1 - 8 symbolizes the transition from (complete abandonment) the Old Law of Moses in order to begin anew following God's New Law and Covenant in the Kingdom of God, God's New fountain of Living Water. John referred to it as the Baptism of repentance. undecided

To be born of Spirit means to be born of the Spirit of Eternal Life, God's gift of Eternal Life which is granted to sinners who believe in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ in fact describes it as an actual possession of the individual by the Spirit in John 3 vs 8, and since the Spirit is Eternal Life itself, He remains with the individual 24/7 for eternity from that point on wielding power and control over the one He possess(but not over their will). undecided
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by Kobojunkie: 1:41pm On May 22, 2023
Ezedon:
To be Born again means instead to be born of Water(baptized in the New source of Living water) and to be born of Spirit(of Eternal Life) - John 3 vs 1 - 21. undecided
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. by Kobojunkie: 9:13pm On May 23, 2023
Ukutsgp:
■ does water always represent baptism in the bible?
Water in this case is a reference to the source of Living Water. The Old Law was the fountain of Living water from which those of the covenant drank from to quench their thirst for God. Jesus Christ is the New fountain of Living water from which those who belong in His Kingdom are meant to drink in order to quench their thirst for Eternal life. So, Baptism of Repentance is essentially a ritual meant to mark your abandoning the Old fountain of Living water, to be born a new drinking from the New fountain of Life, Jesus Christ. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Christian Parents Should Teach Their Kids About Atheism / Adeboye Top Pastor's Election Bombshell! / D Kind Of Islam Every Hijabian Grl Prays For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.