Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,992 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case (1700 Views)

Judge Withdraws From Saraki’s Case Over Negative Reports / $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession / Farouk Lawan (subsidy Probe Committee Chairman) In $600,000 Bribery Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 19, 2014
[size=15pt]Judge withdraws from Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 bribery case[/size]

Justice Adebukola Banjoko of a Federal Capital Territory High Court in Gudu, Abuja, on Tuesday withdrew from the $620,000 bribery charges instituted against a former Chairman, House of Representatives Ad-hoc Committee on Fuel Subsidy, Mr. Farouk Lawan.

Lawan is being prosecuted along with his secretary in the committee, Boniface Emenalo, by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission.

Justice Banjoko voluntarily withdrew from the case on Tuesday and ordered the case file to be returned to the FCT Chief Judge, Justice Ibrahim Bukar, despite the withdrawal of an application filed by Lawan, in which the lawmaker requested that she quit the case.

The judge said in her ruling that though the application had been withdrawn and the Chief Judge had cleared her of the allegation in Lawan’s petition, it (the allegation) remained a “scandalous challenge” of her integrity.

“In my 17 years on the bench, six years as a magistrate and 11 years as a judge, I have never been confronted with a scandalous challenge of my integrity,” the judge said.

Lawan’s counsel, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), who had filed the application dated October 29, 2014, asking the judge to quit the case, announced the withdrawal of the petition at the Tuesday’s proceedings.

Apart from the application, Lawan had also personally petitioned the FCT Chief Judge, accusing Justice Banjoko of likely bias based on an alleged close relationship between her and the Chairman, Zenon Petroleum and Gas Ltd, Mr. Femi Otedola, a proposed witness and the accuser in the case.

Ozekhome, who on Tuesday denied knowledge of the petition written by Lawan, had filed the application, asking the judge to disqualify herself from further handling the case based on his client’s allegation.

However, Ozekhome made a U-turn on Tuesday as he withdrew his application and pleaded with the judge to overlook the wrong impression, which the application and his client’s petition must have created.

The prosecuting counsel, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), also apologised on behalf of the accused person and urged the judge to continue with the case.

But the judge refused to accede to the request of both parties, even as she denied the allegation that she and her family were close to Otedola.

She said that “justice is rooted in confidence,” adding that she could no longer continue to hear the case since the accused had first exhibited his lack of confidence in her.

“In the prevailing circumstances, I do find it difficult to continue this case. This case is returned to the honourable Chief Judge for re-assignment,” Justice Banjoko ruled.

The case, when re-assigned will be handled by the third judge since it commenced on February 1, 2013, when Lawan and his co-accused were first arraigned on seven counts of bribery.

The accused persons were re-arraigned before Justice Banjoko on June 11, 2014, following the elevation of the initial trial judge, Justice Mudashiru Oniyangi, to the Court of Appeal.

Lawan and Emenalo are being prosecuted by the ICPC for allegedly collecting $620,000 in the course of performing the committee’s duty in 2012.

They were accused of collecting the bribe in April 2012 from Otedola, in order to remove his companies’ names from the list of firms indicted by the committee of abusing the fuel subsidy regime.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/judge-withdraws-from-farouk-lawans-620000-bribery-case/
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 8:11am On Nov 19, 2014

Justice Banjoko voluntarily withdrew from the case on Tuesday and ordered the case file to be returned to the FCT Chief Judge, Justice Ibrahim Bukar, despite the withdrawal of an application filed by Lawan, in which the lawmaker requested that she quit the case.

Right in our face... they are doing this.

This na case wey even goat sef know say the farouk guy for don dey rot for jail.. But GEJ has done it again... Judiciary has no power... The Judge copuld not bend and has to leave the case... Hmmm....

Corruption in Broad Day Light in Nigeria under GEJ

2 Likes

Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Occurstaem(m): 8:24am On Nov 19, 2014
Let's see what Justice Bukar will do.
*following*
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 19, 2014
Occurstaem:
Let's see what Justice Bukar will do.
*following*

Lets see what the new Chief Judge will do about the whole thing
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by holatin(m): 8:38am On Nov 19, 2014
cease will never wonder
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 8:50am On Nov 19, 2014
leatherback:
Why I Don’t Support Special Courts – Justice Mohammed

The incoming chief justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Mahmud Mohammed, has stated that there is no need for the creation of special courts to deal with certain offences as the effectiveness of any court depends on integrity of members of the bar and bench.

Similarly, he also opposed the merging of the office of the attorney-general of the federation (AGF) with that of the minister of justice because they play different roles and have different responsibilities.

Justice Mohammed made these views known while answering questions from senators at his confirmation session at the Senate yesterday.

He was accompanied by the outgoing CJN, Justice Aloma Muhktar, who will take a bow from the office tomorrow, president of the Court of Appeal, Justice Zainab Bulkachuwa, president of the National Industrial Court and other high ranking judicial officers. “Honestly, I don’t support creation of special courts specially to deal with specific cases like corruption. It is human beings that are managing the constitution, not the courts. It does not matter the name you put there, it is human beings that are there, it depends on the will to have the cases dispensed expeditiously”, he stated.

Speaking on the process through which succession to the position of the CJN is made, he said that the constitution does not make it mandatory for the highest ranking officer in the judiciary to be appointed as the head but any other means of selection could lead to disaffection in the arm.

He said, “There is nothing preventing the president of the country from appointing CJN from anywhere in the country, from any group of practitioners.It is so because of the tradition that has been inherited. Seniority is a part and parcel of legal profession and part of what is been applied because there is hierarchy in judicial offices.”

The senators unanimously confirmed him after the session ended while president of the Senate, David Mark, while congratulating him on his appointment, advised him to bring reforms to the judiciary with his wealth of experience.

Lets see what he's got up his sleeves
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by stinggy(m): 9:00am On Nov 19, 2014
So this case is still on
The Nigerian legal system is a big joke grin grin
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 19, 2014
stinggy:
So this case is still on
The Nigerian legal system is a big joke grin grin

The outgoing CJN was clamoring for reforms, which she claimed has been done... For the judicial to work outright, I expect them to have REAL supreme power.
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by blym4real: 9:13am On Nov 19, 2014
Only in nigeria
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by omenka(m): 9:19am On Nov 19, 2014
Wow! Lovely news. smiley.

Remember folks, stealing ain't corruption!
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by pleasantchi: 9:22am On Nov 19, 2014
I can smell rat. Somebody is avoiding something in order not to go down.
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 9:39am On Nov 19, 2014
pleasantchi:
I can smell rat. Somebody is avoiding something in order not to go down.

GBAM! There you have it. Maybe the judge has been approached and in order not to complement things, he retracted from the case. This smells bad and real bad indeed.
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by dridowu: 9:44am On Nov 19, 2014
Hmmmmm, sometimes i wonder what is really happening to our judiciary system ? Until the judiciary is reform positively i doubt if 9ja can move forward.
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by natureblack(m): 9:55am On Nov 19, 2014
Nigeria's legal system is very slow and toothless sad

This case should have been done and dusted,and Farouk facing his time in jail.

#despicable
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 19, 2014
natureblack:
Nigeria's legal system is very slow and toothless sad

This case should have been done and dusted,and Farouk facing his time in jail.

#despicable

The guy should have been doing his time with his wife campaigning for protesters to bring others to book as they did (should have done) to her own husband.
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by JANK23H(m): 10:55am On Nov 19, 2014
leatherback:

This na case wey even goat sef know say the farouk guy for don dey rot for jail.. But GEJ has done it again... Judiciary has no power... The Judge copuld not bend and has to leave the case... Hmmm....

What are you talking about for God's sake,must everything end up with GEJ?

Your stupidity is legendary.I doubt if you fully comprehend that piece.
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 19, 2014
JANK23H:

What are you talking about for God's sake,must everything end up with GEJ?

Your stupidity is legendary.I doubt if you fully comprehend that piece.

If the head is faulty... what happens to the other parts?

Ode!
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by drnoel: 12:04pm On Nov 19, 2014
leatherback:

Yes blame GEJ for everything even when u have constipation blame GEJ.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by obailala(m): 12:09pm On Nov 19, 2014
A gentle reminder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcWaLwOEXUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7gzT5vd0vE

I just love the reaction of the deputy speaker in 4:20 of this second video. INTERESTING!
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 12:15pm On Nov 19, 2014
drnoel:

Yes blame GEJ for everything even when u have constipation blame GEJ.

lol.... Now you say that.... but no be him administration?
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by ApexTitan(m): 12:21pm On Nov 19, 2014
leatherback:

How you managed to rope GEJ into this beggars belief.

It's like people will forever look for opportunities, whether real or imagined, to attack whoever is in power.
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 19, 2014
obailala:
A gentle reminder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7gzT5vd0vE

I just love the reaction of the deputy speaker in 4:20 of this second video. INTERESTING!

God Bless you! I never saw that video... Mhen... This guy suppose dey Guantanamo
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by JANK23H(m): 12:24pm On Nov 19, 2014
leatherback:

Ode!
Please highlight from that newsreport how GEJ influenced the Judge's decision to step aside.

She took her decision because her integrity was questioned by Farouk Lawan and his counsel.

You are pathetic.

1 Like

Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by JANK23H(m): 12:24pm On Nov 19, 2014
leatherback:

Ode!
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 19, 2014
JANK23H:

Please highlight from that newsreport how GEJ influenced the Judge's decision to step aside.

She took her decision because her integrity was questioned by Farouk Lawan and his counsel.

You are pathetic.

Suck it up you DOUCHE.

ApexTitan:

How you managed to rope GEJ into this beggars belief.
It's like people will forever look for opportunities, whether real or imagined, to attack whoever is in power.

Guys in power will always be spoken against. You mean you didn't / have not seen the scam right under his nose?

All of you will just be talking as if you dont know what is wrong... The brand in Governance rests upon GEJ. That is why he is the commander in chief for crying out loud.

The Commander In Chief... Everything in governance boils down to him... most especially if nothing is being done to really justify the means.
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by ApexTitan(m): 12:46pm On Nov 19, 2014
How convienient it must be to blame the C-in-C for everything and overlook the body responsible. Nigerians are experts at passing the buck.
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by JANK23H(m): 12:50pm On Nov 19, 2014
leatherback:

Suck it up you DOUCHE.

Guys in power will always be spoken against. You mean you didn't / have not seen the scam right under his nose?

All of you will just be talking as if you dont know what is wrong... The brand in Governance rests upon GEJ. That is why he is the commander in chief for crying out loud.

The Commander In Chief... Everything in governance boils down to him... most especially if nothing is being done to really justify the means.
I don't really get your point,are you blaming him for the judge's decision,or Farouk Lawan should have been shot and not allowed a fair trial or what?
You must be the new defination of clueless.

1 Like

Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by koko12(m): 1:08pm On Nov 19, 2014
$620,000 is not corruption but mere stealing now>>>>> (in d words of oga GEJ) . we siddon look you sir

2 Likes

Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 19, 2014
JANK23H:

I don't really get your point,are you blaming him for the judge's decision,or Farouk Lawan should have been shot and not allowed a fair trial or what?
You must be the new defination of clueless.
So you mean if you are president and such happened under ur nose... you wont say/do anything?

If you are still not understanding me, then I quit!
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by JANK23H(m): 1:58pm On Nov 19, 2014
leatherback:

So you mean if you are president and such happened under ur nose... you wont say/do anything?

If you are still not understanding me, then I quit!
Em.....bros,before you quit,apart from taking him to court please tell me what you will do.
Re: Judge Withdraws From Farouk Lawan’s $620,000 Bribery Case by Nobody: 7:23pm On Nov 19, 2014
JANK23H:

Em.....bros,before you quit,apart from taking him to court please tell me what you will do.

Confiscate his properties, freeze his account and suspend him from his national duties cos he is a disgrace

(1) (Reply)

Mao Ohuabunwa Wins PDP Abia North primary election Defeats Uche Chukwumerije. / Maku Vs Ribadu:who Blundered The Most? / Catholic Faithfuls Back Mbaka's Massage - Catholic Laity Council (CLC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.