Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,405 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Installing Bull Bars On Suvs - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Installing Bull Bars On Suvs (4558 Views)

InnosonMotors CEO Drives Foreign SUVs But Wants Us To Buy His Cars / I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? / Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by cecegorz(m): 11:43am On Nov 19, 2014
I used to be against folks installing bull bars in front of SUVs untill a recent incident made me see a different paradigm.
My argument used to be that, If you knock a pedestrian down, the impact will be more severe than if the bull bars were not installed, so with that, I refused to install one.
Recently I had an incident where a bus ran across my front, and with just a slight impact, my front bumper pulled out completely to the ground, and I knew that with a bull bar installed, It wouldn't have been.
To add insult to the injury, hoodlums robbed me of my phone as I came down to recover the bumper (incident happened on Apongbon bridge around 8pm)

For guys that have bull bars on, any experience where it has helped protect your bumpers, or caused serious damage on another car?

Meanwhile, anybody knows where I can get quality bull bars for front and rear?

Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by Lovetinz(m): 1:35pm On Nov 19, 2014
Without the Bullbars -the way the manufactures intended -
If you hit a NEPA pole, the front-end of your vehicle will crumple / collapse - reducing the shock that get transferred to your body
(Injury will be lessened).

With the bullbars
Bullbars are bolted to your vehicle chassis.
There will be no Shock-Reduction, in a worst case scenario,
You might be thrown out through the windshield!!

Decide.

2 Likes

Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by 100ksalescom(m): 2:58pm On Nov 19, 2014
Lovetinz:
[b]Without[/b]You might be thrown out through the windshield!!

Decide.

That's Y there is a seat belt naa.

5 Likes

Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 19, 2014
sometimes i feel this makes cars look ugly except that of G-Wagons

2 Likes

Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by cecegorz(m): 5:30pm On Nov 19, 2014
Lovetinz:
Without the Bullbars -the way the manufactures intended -
If you hit a NEPA pole, the front-end of your vehicle will crumple / collapse - reducing the shock that get transferred to your body
(Injury will be lessened).

I want the one that will shatter the pole and leave my vehicle intact jare cool

Lovetinz:
With the bullbars
Bullbars are bolted to your vehicle chassis.
There will be no Shock-Reduction, in a worst case scenario,
You might be thrown out through the windshield!!

Decide.

Unless you are talking about 90s vehicles with no Supplemental restraint systems.
Today's vehicles posses effective SRS; airbags, seat belts and the likes, no way one will be thrown out of the vehicles like that

1 Like

Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by cecegorz(m): 5:34pm On Nov 19, 2014
Bossforeva:

I feel you too bro. I don't really like rides looking pimped, but then this experience left a sour taste in my pocket angry
Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 19, 2014
cecegorz:

I feel you too bro. I don't really like rides looking pimped, but then this experience left a sour taste in my pocket angry
but which kind of car had its bumber pulled off with a slight touch.. i guess tis a Honda CRV
Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by cecegorz(m): 5:45pm On Nov 19, 2014
Bossforeva:
but which kind of car had its bumber pulled off with a slight touch.. i guess tis a Honda CRV

The ride is Highlander, I heard CR-V is culpable too.
Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by Nobody: 6:59pm On Nov 19, 2014
It's the most idiotic thing I see on SUV.

Do you intend to heard Bulls with your SUV?

The front of your vehicle is an engineering design that includes crumple zones and impact sensors. Installing any device that negates those designs is tantamount to running with scissors.

If you want to protect your vehicle from impact why stop at just the front? Why not install a complete exoskeleton for the car? angry

1 Like

Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by nurey(m): 8:19pm On Nov 19, 2014
From the Physics point of view, a bull bar or what ever iron placed in front of the bumper will be wielded to the chasis of the car, the detrimental effect that can occur here is on high front impact, the bar it self will send the force through itself to the engine seat or chasis thereby deforming it and once ur chasis is deformed you know the rest.

The bull bar doesn't cause much damage when you hit other cars slightly but if you hit other cars especially side impact you can be cause the car and occupants life threatening situation.
Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 19, 2014
cecegorz:

The ride is Highlander, I heard CR-V is culpable too.
All those crossovers not far from it.
Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 19, 2014
CityNG:

The front of your vehicle is an engineering design that includes crumple zones and impact sensors. Installing any device that negates those designs is tantamount to running with scissors.

If you want to protect your vehicle from impact why stop at just the front? Why not install a complete exoskeleton for the car? angry
lol! you may be invited to do the welding. i will buy the iron rods.

2 Likes

Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by icemann(m): 8:34pm On Nov 19, 2014
Personally i would advice Lagosians to mount a bull bar on their SUV. The way those buses drive you are better off having one.

Please where in Lagos can you do over 100kmph with potholes and holdup everywhere? The impact at lower speeds with a bull bar on is worth the risk.
Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by lonelydora: 9:42pm On Nov 19, 2014
Bossforeva:
I dislike any added feature in a car. Leave it as Oyibo make am.
Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by paix(m): 9:05am On Nov 20, 2014
cecegorz:

I want the one that will shatter the pole and leave my vehicle intact jare cool

Unless you are talking about 90s vehicles with no Self restraint systems.
Today's vehicles posses effective SRS; airbags, seat belts and the likes, no way one will be thrown out of the vehicles like that
The impact will not get to the sensors to deploy the SRS Supplemental Restraint System. So take note.

1 Like

Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by cecegorz(m): 12:35pm On Nov 20, 2014
paix:
The impact will not get to the sensors to deploy the SRS Supplemental Restraint System. So take note.
Nah. The airbag sensors doesn't need to be impacted directly. Otherwise, you can accidentally hit a hammer on your chassis and the balloon pops.
They are activated when the rate of deceleration of the car on impact reaches the triggering threshold.

1 Like

Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by cecegorz(m): 12:43pm On Nov 20, 2014
CityNG:

Lol @ herding bulls. That exoskeleton looks like the real deal!
But I think the name comes from the original intent of the components design, which was meant to prevent damage on cars running into animals(bulls, kangaroos, etc.) crossing the rural roads while the vehicle is on high speed.

But then, if you drive regularly on Lagos roads, you will agree with me that some drivers ain't different from jumping herds. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Installing Bull Bars On Suvs by codemaster2much: 1:58pm On Jun 19, 2019
lol

(1) (Reply)

10 Most Expensive Bikes In The World / Car Conversion / Mercedes Benz C240 4matic 2004model Versus Honda Accord 2008model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.