Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,164 members, 7,807,539 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People (16192 Views)

A Brief History Of Ikwerre.(port Harcourt) / Brief History Of Nnewi / Igarra People Are Part Of The Igbirra Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by Mczigx(m): 11:51am On Nov 19, 2014
LOCATION: Igarra is a town located in the Northern part of Edo state,Nigeria. It is d administrative headquarters of Akoko-Edo Local Govmnt Area of Edo state wich by Gods grace d oldest in Nigeria.Its topography is mountainous nd situated n d lee-wind side of d kukuruku-hill wit rocky terrain.Igarra has both christians,muslims nd traditionalists.
DERIVATION OF NAME
Igarra is a word corruptd frm "IGALA" whom were inhabitants of IDAH between d 12th nd 14th cntury.
MIGRATION
Igarra people are migrants from the kwararafa confederacy of the jukun kingdom of WUKARI in d present Taraba state to Idah in d present Kogi state at abt d 12th century.They were led by OTARU Ariwo-Ovejijoh. When d people of Igarra migrated to dis present place originally knwn as "ETUNO" (land of cows r land of abomination) they met a group of dwarves settling in d hils cald d Anafuas.Most of them were later exterminated by d Igarra people in warfare while d rest became slaves.In Igarra there are numerous kindreds each knwn as UNNA. Members of kindreds are males nd females having one ancestral blood relation cald ANDA(Family).Some kindred have over five thousand members while sme has less. There are fourteen (14) individual kindreds in Igarra namely.
Andede
Eshinagada
Eshinogu
Eshinavaka and
Andiba kindreds.They ar knwn as EZIEZUH (Sons of Tiger).They are d descendants of OTARU ARIWO-OVEJIJO and the ruling houses in Igarra. We also ave d EZIODU,EZIAKUTA AND EZIOGA Kindreds Knw collectively as the EZIOBE (sons of Hunter). While the rest Wich are few in numbers are d ANONA,ANONYETE,ANOVEREWA,ESHIMOZOKO,EZIAKOZI and ANOSERI. Each kindred is non political,non religious and do not antagonize on another. Everytin within kindred is shard accordng to men age group.

1 Like

Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by Mczigx(m): 12:03pm On Nov 19, 2014
The History of the Igarra people is far frm being complete without mentioning the Aba festival, a festival celebrated every seven (7) years.The last Aba festival was celebrated in 2011,so u calculate wn nxt itz cmng up.The Aba festival attracts lots of attractions within nd beyond. The most synonymous thing abt d festival is the Aba drum which is brought out every seven years,it was seized from the Anafuas whom the Igarras met when they first settled on the hills. There are lots of displays durng d Aba festival lyk d colourful masquerades who cme out 2 dance and sme males who dress up in female attires jst 4 entertainment.
Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by holatin(m): 12:14pm On Nov 19, 2014
noted
Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by 2cato: 12:22pm On Nov 19, 2014
Only waka come
Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by tobtap: 1:35pm On Nov 19, 2014
more........please
Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by Mczigx(m): 4:32pm On Nov 19, 2014
Drez more bt 2 type.......
Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by pcgist: 9:08am On Nov 20, 2014
Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by Nobody: 6:44pm On Nov 20, 2014
What is the relationship between Igarra people and Ebira people in Kogi state? I thought Igarras were Ebiras. Wow.
Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by Mczigx(m): 8:41pm On Nov 20, 2014
ofsegs:
What is the relationship between Igarra people and Ebira people in Kogi state? I thought Igarras were Ebiras. Wow.
I cnt categorically sayThe Igarras and d Ebiras are 1 bcuz there've bin more changes tru d course of tym dat u cn c in d way dey speak, bt d Ebiras were d ones dat stayed over at Lokoja because of their likenes of d benin seed (gorigo)
Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by scholes0(m): 6:43am On Nov 21, 2014
Mczigx:

I cnt categorically sayThe Igarras and d Ebiras are 1 bcuz there've bin more changes tru d course of tym dat u cn c in d way dey speak, bt d Ebiras were d ones dat stayed over at Lokoja because of their likenes of d benin seed (gorigo)

What is the rationship between the Igarras, Akoko-Yorubas, Ogoris, Ebiras and the Etsakos.

Also, since that entire Ondo- Edo- Kogi tri border area is Multi-ethnic. What language do different groups communicate with one another in?
Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 21, 2014
How come present day Igarras have very little in common with the Igalas in terms of culture and language when the two groups are said to originate from the same place and also existed together at Idah before Otaru led the Igarras across the Niger to where the are presently. It was even said that Otaru held the "Attah of Igala" position before he left Idah. One will expect that the Igarras will at least share language similarity with Igalas. What are the things that present day Igarras have in common with the Igalas?

1 Like

Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by Mczigx(m): 9:06am On Nov 21, 2014
scholes0:

What is the rationship between the Igarras, Akoko-Yorubas, Ogoris, Ebiras and the Etsakos.

Also, since that entire Ondo- Edo- Kogi tri border area is Multi-ethnic. What language do different groups communicate with one another in?
D Igarras ave no relatnshp wit d ogoris,odos and etsakos bt dey share same ancestors wit d Ebiras nd deir language is quite similar bt dere ar variances, d nly rltnshp wit d etsakos is the border dey share dats y in d whole of akoko edo Igarra is d nly tribe dats diff in language nd culture
Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by leederrty1997: 6:28am On Nov 24, 2014
Everything you said is true, good work. knowing the history of Nigeria will be the best for us, knowing the legends we have in Nigeria, fascinating places, lifestyle of Nigerians in early 60s, 70s, and also the culture and tradition of the people... Then visit: www.oldnaija.

Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by Nobody: 10:27pm On Feb 12, 2015
Mczigx:

D Igarras ave no relatnshp wit d ogoris,odos and etsakos bt dey share same ancestors wit d Ebiras nd deir language is quite similar bt dere ar variances, d nly rltnshp wit d etsakos is the border dey share dats y in d whole of akoko edo Igarra is d nly tribe dats diff in language nd culture
chaweeeh
Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by akdjr(m): 3:09am On Aug 29, 2019
The Names of Past and Present Attah Igala are Listed Below:
1. Ebulejonu
2. Aganapoje
3. Idoko
4. Ayebga
5. Akumabi
6. Akogu
7. Agadaelame
8. Aidoko
9. Ohemi Obogo Ocholi
10. Amacho
11. Itodo Aduga
12. Ogala
13. Idoko adegbe
14. Onuche
15. Eekele Aga- 1834
16. Ame Ocheje- 1835-1856
17. Akwu Odiba- 1856-1870
18. Okoliko- 1870-1894
19. Ame Aga- 1895-1900
20. Ocheje Onakpa- 1901-1903
21. Oboni Akwu - 1905-1911
22. Ogwuche Akpa- 1911-1919
23. Atabo Ijomi- 1919-1926
24 obaje Ocheje- 1926-1945
25. Ame Oboni- 1946-1956
26. Aliyu Obaje- 1956-2012
27. Idakwo Ameh Oboni- 2013- date
Re: A Brief History Of The Igarra People..my People by Olichoke: 9:26pm On Jun 26, 2023
I am an Igala man interested in the history of the Igala people. I will plan to visit Igarra in Edo State some day to see my long separated siblings.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

The Igbo Values Of Success, Education And Hardwork: A Case Of The Robeson Family / Emir Sanusi Pays Bill Of Patient That Requires Kidney Transplant Surgery In Kano / Marriage To Igala Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.