Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,781 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure (10974 Views)

Buhari Receives Ministerial Screening Report From Saraki (Photos) / Photo: Why Senator Akpabio Should Not Go Abroad For Medication / Don’t Go Abroad For Medicare Throughout Your Four Years – LP Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 19, 2014
pendy79:

Comparing the Street or borough of london with anywhere in 9ja is the height of exagerration not to talk of lagos island. Is it idoluwo, idumagbo, idumota, adeniji, tokunbo, oshodi, tinubu that you wanna compare with dagenham, stratford, hackney, waltham, hovering or leyton etc.

Most people run out of 9ja with anything they can lay their hands on not prepare for the reality of things on ground in the uk. No genuine papers or wrong visa types which make them ineligible to get real or profitable employment.

In as much as I won't advise anyone with good employment back in 9ja to leave and relocate, the reality is that there is a better quality of life in the uk compare to the hellhole of 9ja with the kind of useless and worthless government in that country

Sad but true

1 Like

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by idupaul: 11:20pm On Nov 19, 2014
pendy79:
OP either you or the link you copied this story can lie o.

East London like lagos island? Haba, sure say no be Togo your plane pilot land and drop you tell you say na London.

Are u not suprised u still failed to pick any positive message from this worthy write up

3 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by abbakacici: 11:38pm On Nov 19, 2014
Chylo:
O boi, make them no decieve you oo. Money dey jand nyafuu nyafuu.

Just try get job, even say na cleaner, then work multiple jobs. You will be making more than most people wey knot tie for Nigeria.

What about if you now get a good job nko? O boi, u don hammer o.
Then add to that, the good infrastructure, free healthcare, no bomb when you go market.

Guy, forget all this story joor.

(quick calculation for you: UK minimum wage = £6.50 per hour (i.e approx N1,770 per hour), lets say you work only 6 hours everyday, by the end of the month, you would have made above N300,000), now minimum wage is for the least kind of worker. SO do the maths yourself.

this is the most common mistake most Nigerian made, while relocating, while in US/UK or wherever you will not be spending Naira but dollars or pounds etc and the cost of living is not the same

6.50 per hour assuming you work 70 hours a week (tens hours everyday including weekend) what most Nigerians do, your salary is £1820 but if you just convert it to naira and relocated you are in serious problem because out of the £1820 you will paid almost 400 as tax, around 100 as NI contribution, assuming you are single will paid around £400 as accommodation another £100 for transport, £30-50 bills before you know your savings is less £200 a month, and this is if you are single as in no girl friends, and your family in Nigeria are ok, that is they will not be asking you for help

5 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 19, 2014
pendy79:
OP either you or the link you copied this story can lie o.

East London like lagos island? Haba, sure say no be Togo your plane pilot land and drop you tell you say na London.
the op is a lunatic..everybody ve different dreams and aspiration.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by coldsummer: 11:54pm On Nov 19, 2014
pendy79:

Comparing the Street or borough of london with anywhere in 9ja is the height of exagerration not to talk of lagos island. Is it idoluwo, idumagbo, idumota, adeniji, tokunbo, oshodi, tinubu that you wanna compare with dagenham, stratford, hackney, waltham, hovering or leyton etc.

Most people run out of 9ja with anything they can lay their hands on not prepare for the reality of things on ground in the uk. No genuine papers or wrong visa types which make them ineligible to get real or profitable employment.

In as much as I won't advise anyone with good employment back in 9ja to leave and relocate, the reality is that there is a better quality of life in the uk compare to the hellhole of 9ja with the kind of useless and worthless government in that country

Allow d guy to b talking.

In fact na naira them dey use fr london now. No more pounds
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Horus(m): 12:02am On Nov 20, 2014
[size=19pt]London overtakes Hong Kong as most expensive city in the world[/size]

24 Sep 2014

The estate agent ranks London twice as expensive as Sydney, and four times more pricey than Rio de Janerio.

London was ranked fifth in 2008 surged to the top as a result of booming property prices and currency fluctuations.

The 12 most expensive cities in the world

1. London

2. Hong Kong

3. New York

4. Paris

5. Tokyo

6. Singapore

7. Moscow

8. Sydney

9. Dubai

10. Shanghai

11. Rio de Janeiro

12. Mumbai

Source: http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/24/london-overtakes-hong-kong-as-most-expensive-city-in-the-world-4880900/
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by stevecantrell: 12:37am On Nov 20, 2014
Little Nigeria: Dagenham, Bow, Peckham, Upton park, Dalston kingsland, Greenwich, Thamesmead and half of them attend Southbank universitygrin

One winters night we found ourselves in a Naija high life club on Camberwell road....Emu Kay or something like that. After fresh fish pepper soup, Nkwobi and Star the party started at midnight.....i will never forget in my life.....the music, the babes, the agberos and the booze in my system....i thot I was in a whorehouse in Bariga ! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by jumobi1(m): 12:54am On Nov 20, 2014
abbakacici:

this is the most common mistake most Nigerian made, while relocating, while in US/UK or wherever you will not be spending Naira but dollars or pounds etc and the cost of living is not the same
6.50 per hour assuming you work 70 hours a week (tens hours everyday including weekend) what most Nigerians do, your salary is £1820 but if you just convert it to naira and relocated you are in serious problem because out of the £1820 you will paid almost 400 as tax, around 100 as NI contribution, assuming you are single will paid around £400 as accommodation another £100 for transport, £30-50 bills before you know your savings is less £200 a month, and this is if you are single as in no girl friends, and your family in Nigeria are ok, that is they will not be asking you for help

There you go.
There is a reason he is helping his family in Nigeria and not the other way around. You guys are mostly middle class so you don't understand how unemployment is affecting a lot of Nigerians. Those that do menial jobs in the US do it until they get better jobs. It's not a permanent sentence. I know people that started like that. They have better jobs and can probably retire in 10 years and love comfortably in their own house in Nigeria. How many civil servants can retire comfortably after 15 years?
In the US, you get rewarded for hardwork not just for knowing the right people

4 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by ifuckpussy(f): 1:05am On Nov 20, 2014
Chylo:

Just try get job, even say na cleaner, then work multiple jobs. You will be making more than most people wey knot tie for Nigeria.

Then add to that, the good infrastructure, free healthcare, no bomb when you go market.

(quick calculation for you: UK minimum wage = £6.50 per hour (i.e approx N1,770 per hour), lets say you work only 6 hours everyday, by the end of the month, you would have made above N300,000), now minimum wage is for the least kind of worker. SO do the maths yourself.
you forgot to add that the person will eat, pay for transportation, rent, and other bills...

1 Like

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:29am On Nov 20, 2014
stevecantrell:
Little Nigeria: Dagenham, Bow, Peckham, Upton park, Dalston kingsland, Greenwich, Thamesmead and half of them attend Southbank universitygrin

One winters night we found ourselves in a Naija high life club on Camberwell road....Emu Kay or something like that. After fresh fish pepper soup, Nkwobi and Star the party started at midnight.....i will never forget in my life.....the music, the babes, the agberos and the booze in my system....i thot I was in a whorehouse in Bariga ! grin grin

Emukay before Burgess park as you approach Camberwell from Elephant and castle. Their isi ewu used to make sense then, don't know about now.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:34am On Nov 20, 2014
AZeD1:

Dude you can't survive on minimum wage in the UK.

Op any educated person doing menial job in the UK entered the UK illegally.

The part in bold is a not at all true bro.

1 Like

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by stevecantrell: 6:59am On Nov 20, 2014
Sunnybobo3:

Emukay before Burgess park as you approach Camberwell from Elephant and castle. Their isi ewu used to make sense then, don't know about now.

Yeah bro, u know the flow, it's been ages. I will look for it again next time if they're still in business.
Like to hide myself in W1/W2 nowadays.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Sirniyeh(m): 8:24am On Nov 20, 2014
abbakacici:

That is the simple maths. The fact still remains that, for a Ph.D holder to turn gateman is an absurd... A phd holder in Nigeria will earn more than whatever casual job he finds himself in UK. It's like a king becoming slave abroad

2 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by IDEApro(m): 9:04am On Nov 20, 2014
8 years ago my friend said make we go hustle for London. I said my money for papers never complete. I don build 2 houses, owned cars plus mid class lifestyle yet my friend still dey hustle.

He came back last 2 years deceived the richest man in his town with his londoner makeover and married his daughter. Rent a one bedroom flat for the chick and gets off till date(marriage sef na only traditional that was pop and pageantry).

I pity girls wey dey fall for those trick sef.

1 Like

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by ducii: 9:08am On Nov 20, 2014
Chylo:

where in the UK do you work for 6hrs minimum wage job and survive. I guess you just land UK
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Sirniyeh(m): 9:09am On Nov 20, 2014
IDEApro:
8 years ago my friend said make we go hustle for London. I said my money for papers never complete. I don build 2 houses, owned cars plus mid class lifestyle yet my friend still dey hustle.

He came back last 2 years deceived the richest man in his town with his londoner makeover and married his daughter. Rent a one bedroom flat for the chick and gets off till date(marriage sef name only traditional that was pop and pageantry).

Same to me, what I have achieved none of my colleagues abroad will be able to meet up with the pace because the anointing still dey flow continually
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by ducii: 9:19am On Nov 20, 2014
abbakacici:

You are forgetting council tax, road tax if you drive, Electric and gas bills are over £50 a month, water alone is around £20 a month. If you are doing any Menial jobs you need 2 or 3 working 7 days a week to at least survive, and don't forget you don't get promoted. If you are a security guard and you have been in a company for 5 years, the day you are caught sleeping and you are fired, that is it for you. no compensation no retirement benefit.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by meforyou1(m): 9:21am On Nov 20, 2014
2 years ago I went to an area in London called Brixton. Saw nigerians selling hard drugs every night by the train station. Most of them have visas that have expired years ago and can't have any good job.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by GoldCircle: 9:22am On Nov 20, 2014
hmmm..i foresee another hate thread! bottles and knives will soon start flying around. @op, wait make dem wake up for there. better brace up! they'll come for your head soon.

Meanwhile, mods, prepare to shut down the thread as soon as things get messier.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by ducii: 9:26am On Nov 20, 2014
jumobi1:

There you go.
There is a reason he is helping his family in Nigeria and not the other way around. You guys are mostly middle class so you don't understand how unemployment is affecting a lot of Nigerians. Those that do menial jobs in the US do it until they get better jobs. It's not a permanent sentence. I know people that started like that. They have better jobs and can probably retire in 10 years and love comfortably in their own house in Nigeria. How many civil servants can retire comfortably after 15 years?
In the US, you get rewarded for hardwork not just for knowing the right people

True talk, but don't forget that there are certain professions where you are restricted by age.
Now I know of a friend who has finished his Phd and he is in his forties now. after looking for job with no luck, he has told me now that he is going back to university to study nursing, because there are no age restriction in that sector. This individual will be close to 50 years old before he starts his career. (He has been in the UK for close to 15 years).
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by ducii: 9:27am On Nov 20, 2014
Sunnybobo3:

The part in bold is a not at all true bro.

I agree with you on that point.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by ducii: 9:29am On Nov 20, 2014
IDEApro:

He came back last 2 years deceived the richest man in his town with his londoner makeover and married his daughter. Rent a one bedroom flat for the chick and gets off till date(marriage sef na only traditional that was pop and pageantry).

Very funny grin

That job still dey enter till now?

Na wah oo
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 20, 2014
EroticAngelina:

so you mean your brain has been empty up till now?
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 20, 2014
Osahon7:
the op is a lunatic..everybody ve different dreams and aspiration.

are you cleaning toilets in london?
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Chylo(m): 10:29am On Nov 20, 2014
ducii:

where in the UK do you work for 6hrs minimum wage job and survive. I guess you just land UK

Guess you miss the part where I talked about working multiple jobs.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Chylo(m): 10:34am On Nov 20, 2014
ducii:

You are forgetting council tax, road tax if you drive, Electric and gas bills are over £50 a month, water alone is around £20 a month. If you are doing any Menial jobs you need 2 or 3 working 7 days a week to at least survive, and don't forget you don't get promoted. If you are a security guard and you have been in a company for 5 years, the day you are caught sleeping and you are fired, that is it for you. no compensation no retirement benefit.

You are quite ignorant in this respect. Even cleaners are paid by experience. The more you work, the higher your wage rate. Also, "bouncers" who are officially "door supervisors" are licensed and have a union so they cannot be dealt with anyhow. I know because I did door supervision training for the London olympics and those guys are paid extremely well in case you don't know (also progressive by experience). If they eventually become managers in a company like G4S, they will be earning more than many professors in Nigeria.

The problem is some enlightened people have enjoyed the good life abroad but dont want others to have a taste too, that why they keep decieving people that no money is here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by ducii: 10:50am On Nov 20, 2014
Chylo:

You are quite ignorant in this respect. Even cleaners are paid by experience. The more you work, the higher your wage rate. Also, "bouncers" who are officially "door supervisors" are licensed and have a union so they cannot be dealt with anyhow. I know because I did door supervision training for the London olympics and those guys are paid extremely well in case you don't know (also progressive by experience). If they eventually become managers in a company like G4S, they will be earning more than many professors in Nigeria.

The problem is some enlightened people have enjoyed the good life abroad but dont want others to have a taste too, that why they keep decieving people that no money is here.

How many managers does a security firm have. maybe 2 at most, maybe another 1 or 2 people who are on the radio who book shifts for people, then you have drivers who take some security guards to site. So where is the growth in the security person who works in a site.
The Truth is that you do not have much leeway for growth.
For the one of being a door supervisor my brother forget that side e don tay. the best you can become is a head door-man in the club where you are posted, So forget about management in that area. If you go to Liverpool, you will see Jamaicans that have been door men for more than 20 years, they are still door men. There is no growth in that sector.
so forget that story.
It is like you just landed in the UK?

1 Like

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by ibrahym47(m): 10:54am On Nov 20, 2014
Wallie:

You are painting with very broad strokes! I personally know the following types of people currently in the US:

1. Someone that worked at Arthur Andersen in Nigeria before traveling to the US to get her MBA - currently making well over $100k. UNILAG schooled. Came here on scholarship after acing the GMAT. UNILAG schooled.

2. Someone that did his IT (or whatever you call the service after NYSC) at Mobil before traveling to the US to get his MS in engineering - currently making close to $200k as a contractor. UNILAG schooled.

3. Another guy that studied chemical engineering at UNILAG - over $200k
4. A Nigerian guy that owns his own govt contracting business - over $50M made in 7 years

5. A handful of Nigerians that had their first degrees in Nigeria but came here to start college afresh - 1 makes $70k+ out of college and the others are still looking for jobs.

The only thing all these people have in common is their work ethic, schooling and green card/citizenship.

My point is, some will succeed and others will fail. Some never had what it takes to make it in Nigeria or the US. Some have what it takes to make it but lack the papers needed to get a shot; however, if you have what it takes to succeed in the US and can also work legally, there’s a high probability that your lifestyle will be well above average. The same is not true in Nigeria.
May your day be long brother.

3 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:55am On Nov 20, 2014
Sirniyeh:

That is the simple maths. The fact still remains that, for a Ph.D holder to turn gateman is an absurd... A phd holder in Nigeria will earn more than whatever casual job he finds himself in UK. It's like a king becoming slave abroad

Another fallacy bro. I know a calabar girl who grossed £49,000 in the last tax year as a Healthcare Assistant in one of the NHS hospitals.

Those in doubt, ask me how.

3 Likes

Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by ducii: 11:21am On Nov 20, 2014
Sunnybobo3:

Another fallacy bro. I know a calabar girl who grossed £49,000 in the last tax year as a Healthcare Assistant in one of the NHS hospitals.

Those in doubt, ask me how.

Haba brother nurses Don't even make that much, for her to make that amount of money she will be putting in close to 20hrs a day, 365 days a year, which is not allowed under your NHS contract. The NHS allows you to do only 39 and half hours a week.

Even Sisters that are senior nurses don't get that much on the NHS.

The only way she can get that is if she is working for a wealthy private individual.
Re: Why Desperate To Go Abroad?: Report From UK Adventure by Chylo(m): 11:23am On Nov 20, 2014
ducii:

How many managers does a security firm have. maybe 2 at most, maybe another 1 or 2 people who are on the radio who book shifts for people, then you have drivers who take some security guards to site. So where is the growth in the security person who works in a site.
The Truth is that you do not have much leeway for growth.
For the one of being a door supervisor my brother forget that side e don tay. the best you can become is a head door-man in the club where you are posted, So forget about management in that area. If you go to Liverpool, you will see Jamaicans that have been door men for more than 20 years, they are still door men. There is no growth in that sector.
so forget that story.
It is like you just landed in the UK?

Dude, am talking personal experience with you and you're telling me fairy tales and arguing blindly. Now lemme ask you, if its as horrible as you say, why do people den fight tooth and nail to try to stay in UK after school, even without any good job? I don't believe they are all idiots or irrational people, do you?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governorship Re-run: Tension Mounts As Court Decides Adamawa, Bauchi Fate Today / 14 Days After, Tinubu, Obi, Kwankwaso Yet To Commence Campaigns / Delta APC To Tribunal: Some Of Your Judgments Are Questionable, We're Surprised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.