Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,648 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

Indonesia's Police Recruitment Criteria For Women - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Indonesia's Police Recruitment Criteria For Women (1224 Views)

Nigeria Police Recruitment 2016 Begins April 1 / . / Nigeria Police Recruitment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Indonesia's Police Recruitment Criteria For Women by Champella(m): 9:37pm On Nov 19, 2014
Hello wonderful people on Nairaland!

I just saw this on my facebook page so i decided to share it. I therefore call on the Moderators to please move this to its rightful section if i'm posting it on the wrong one.

Enjoy yourselves!

In Indonesia
Female Police Recruits To Undergo Virginity Test
Isaac Dachen | 13:36 | 19.11.2014
In Indonesia, female police recruits must undergo virginity tests before they are accepted.
These female officers must undergo virginity tests before recruitment. (Indonesian Police)

There has been widespread condemnation to a new law in Indonesia which makes it mandatory for female police recruits in Indonesiato go for a virginity testbefore they could be accepted. Married women though, are not eligible to join the police in that country.

The Indonesian National Policewebsite lists the health requirements for female recruits, listing virginity as one of the requirements:

In addition to the other medical and physical examinations. Women who want to become policewomen are to undergo a virginity test. Policewomen must keep their virginity.

Overall, the medical and physical examination has two main objectives:
* The first one is to make sure that the candidates' health and physical condition will not harm them when admitted into police force.
* Secondly, it is to make sure that they do not possess any communicable diseases that will not allow them to perform maximally as trained police personnel.

As to the examination of the virginity, it is just a part of the whole medical and physical test, not intended to solely seek for the virginity condition.
Or it can not be put in a perspective for the sake of finding out the virginity, instead, it is for the sake of the completeness of medical and physical examination.

But the Human Rights Watch has condemned what it calls invasive virginity test for female police recruits, calling it 'painful' and 'traumatic,' as they were subjected to thorough medical tests that included examination of Instruments.

A HRW report says they interviewed several female officers and applicants, as well as police medical and recruitment staff. They also say they spoke with a National Police commission member.
The report describes the test, administered by Police Medical and Health Center staff in police hospitals in the cities of Bandung, Jakarta, Padang, Pekanbaru, Makassar, and Medan, as 'discriminatory, cruel and degrading.'

One recruit interviewed by HRW for the report said:
"Entering the virginity test examination room was really upsetting. I feared that after they performed the test I would not be a virgin anymore. It really hurt. My friend even fainted because... it really hurt, really hurt".

Do you think Nigeria should adopt these tests as well?

http://pulse.ng/gist/in-indonesia-female-police-recruits-to-undergo-virginity-test-id3289272.html?utm_campaign=art-female-police-recruits-to-undergo-virginity-test-nov19&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook
Re: Indonesia's Police Recruitment Criteria For Women by rawpadgin(m): 10:05pm On Nov 19, 2014
if NPF adopt this criteria, we nor go get any single police woman in the country grin

(1) (Reply)

Shoecraft And Bag Making Training / 30 Motivational Quotes For Employees By Renowned Professionals / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.