Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,472 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets (6002 Views)

How Many Piglets On Average Do You Get From Your Sows? / Piglets, Gilts, Boars, For Sale / To Breed Or Buy Piglets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 20, 2014
My sow gave birth yesterday to five piglets(her first time)I decided to make a new house for her so as to prevent other pigs from trampling on the newly born.... So after I separated her from the rest,I fed her x2 of the feed others ate,a new water, I also disinfect the room.
I woke up this morning to check on her and the piglets and to my surprise she has eaten four of the piglets and the only one remaining is lifeless!

Please!!! What makes her eat all the piglets?
Have you experienced this before?
Your response will be highly appreciated!
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by Dahjhi: 8:56am On Nov 20, 2014
Boc4real:
My sow gave birth yesterday to five piglets(her first time)I decided to make a new house for her so as to prevent other pigs from trampling on the newly born.... So after I separated her from the rest,I fed her x2 of the feed others ate,a new water, I also disinfect the room.
I woke up this morning to check on her and the piglets and to my surprise she has eaten four of the piglets and the only one remaining is lifeless!

I think that's because you touched them.. Like you shouldn't carry them with bare hands
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 20, 2014
Dahjhi:
I think that's because you touched them.. Like you shouldn't carry them with bare hands
I didn't carry them with bare hands,I make use of a glove??
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 20, 2014
Dahjhi:
I didn't carry them with bare hand,I make use of a glove??
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by Dahjhi: 9:17am On Nov 20, 2014
Boc4real:
I didn't carry them with bare hand,I make use of a glove??
am sorry for your loss.. Those beasts are just too difficult to keep. angry
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by fm7070: 9:39am On Nov 20, 2014
From my experience, Could be because its hungry. Do it have enough food? At this point, it should not lack any food, it not, it will eat up piglets.
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by waka2: 10:10am On Nov 20, 2014
It can be the result of hunger bt my advise 4 u is to replace the sow because im yet to see the sow that change to normal sense after such thing,fat her up and sell.speaking from experience.
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 20, 2014
Dahjhi:
am sorry for your loss.. Those beasts are just too difficult to keep. angry
Thank u bro
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 20, 2014
fm7070:
From my experience, Could be because its hungry. Do it have enough food? At this point, it should not lack any food, it not, it will eat up piglets.
I don't think is hunger because I fed her with x2 of what others ate
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 20, 2014
waka2:
It can be the result of hunger bt my advise 4 u is to replace the sow because im yet to see the sow that change to normal sense after such thing,fat her up and sell.speaking from experience.
Thank you, I will sell her for profit
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by fm7070: 1:00pm On Nov 20, 2014
Boc4real:
Thank you, I will sell her for profit

That's not the ultimate solution. It can happen to any other sow.
Learn with this one and overcome the challenge forever.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by obstead200(m): 2:56pm On Nov 20, 2014
i might be talking nonsense oooo cos am not a professional.
But next time, if u have reason to touch any of the piglets especially within 10 days after birth, make sure u smear ur hands (or ur gloves) with fresh shi.t fro the mother.
i understand it works for rabbits and grasscutters.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by Crocz(m): 9:05pm On Nov 20, 2014
You somehow smear the piglets with something that smells different from the Sow's...probably a perfume on ur cloth?
Cos if you feed her well,she shouldn't be eating her piglets

Next time, you may take away the sow first to the new location and then bring her piglets to her instead of taking the piglets first...cos if the later, she may think they her not hers
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by femu(m): 9:59pm On Nov 20, 2014
It happens in some first timer sows.
She is shocked at seeing the piglets and is attracted to the blood at their umbilical cords. she licks d blood and progresses from there.....

I use a farrowing crate to prevent the risk.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by Nobody: 12:10am On Nov 21, 2014
Crocz:
You somehow smear the piglets with something that smells different from the Sow's...probably a perfume on ur cloth?
Cos if you feed her well,she shouldn't be eating her piglets

Next time, you may take away the sow first to the new location and then bring her piglets to her instead of taking the piglets first...cos if the later, she may think they her not hers
Thank you bro... I took the piglets first embarassed embarassed Pigs can be stupid sha
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by Nobody: 12:12am On Nov 21, 2014
femu:
It happens in some first timer sows.
She is shocked at seeing the piglets and is attracted to the blood at their umbilical cords. she licks d blood and progresses from there.....

I use a farrowing crate to prevent the risk.
. Farrowing crate?? Never heard of that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by metroy4x: 12:36am On Nov 21, 2014
Sorry, you 've to be caring to your animal, if you want to be successful treat them like human, any animal do eat their offspring if they 're in captivity and hungry, they need more attention than you do before.
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by TheUnbeatable(m): 1:04am On Nov 24, 2014
@ op:

Femu is right absolutely.

Take his Advise. He is good and experienced in piggery.

Sorry for your loss,
Olorun afi ofo remi .

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 24, 2014
TheUnbeatable:
@ op:

Femu is right absolutely.

Take his Advise. He is good and experienced in piggery.

Sorry for your loss,
Olorun afi ofo remi .
thanks
Re: Help!!! My Sow Ate All Her Piglets by dejia(m): 4:54am On Nov 25, 2014
Boc4real:

Boc4real,

There could also be some other things, that could cause that.. from your post, its seems dia were other sows( or pigs) with her when she littered; which isnt a good practice.. also you didnt provide us with the age and weight of the sow; she might also be too young when she was crossed, hence too young to handle the piglets: also the feed.. what do you feed her with? Also 5piglets is small.. i guess something went wrong when she was crossed, a minimum of 8 piglets should be born if you follow the correct procedure of crossing.
My advice is.. dont sell her off, keep her in a diff from from others, flush feed her for the next 28days, she shd go on heat again cross her.. that is if shes matured enuff ( I mean, minimum of 10 months and say 80kg weight). Get a farrowing crates like FEMU suggested as well.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Watermelon Farmers Lets Meet Here / 50 Mature Pigs For Sale!!! / get Rabbits and guinea pigs healthy ones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.