Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,584 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter (1778 Views)

Urgent: Job Hunter / What Is Wrong With This Cv?(novice Job Hunter) / A Typical Nigerian Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by tonaydo(m): 9:13am On Nov 20, 2014
Waking up to the not so pleasant sounds emanating from a nearby mosque, struggling to overcome the voice in my head telling me to lay for a few more minutes. After about two minutes of battling with myself it turned out that I had succumbed to this voice. Well I actually didn’t know I gave in to this voice, at least not until I was awakened by another sound. It wasn’t the mosque now, it was my gangster neighbour who was blasting Rick Ross’ ‘Blowing Money Fast’ through his powerful home theater appliance. This he does as a daily ritual and thanks to him I have memorized the lyrics to the song word for word including the ablibs.

This time I stared straight at my wall clock which had its hour indicator firmly placed on eight (cool. What tha f%@#!! I have a job interview by 9 am.
I quickly dashed into the bathroom to carry out the usual clean up which included brushing my dental cavities, bathing and making use of the greatest thinking seat ever made by man, the toilet.

I completed this routine in less than 30 minutes and dashed into my room to get dressed. So I put on my neatly starched and ironed shirt and my chinos pants whose ghettos were sharper than double edged swords. I also put on my socks, shoes and my already knot tie. All these were done in the twinkle of an eye. At this point I felt like the cartoon superhero Flash.

Ready to move out, I picked up my phone and my portfolio and then stepped out of my door only to remember that I had forgotten to put on my wrist watch. So I hurriedly ran into my house like a hungry tiger chasing its prey, picked up my watch and while putting it on I got confused. The time on my watch was 7:40 unlike my wall clock which read 8:40 at that moment. I thus decided to consult my mobile device to confirm this. Lo and behold my phone was in agreement with my wrist watch; that means I have been hurrying up for nothing. What I felt at this time was a mixture of relief and self disappointment.
Cheer up I told my self, this means I have close to an hour more to spend at home before heading out. I then walked to the kitchen, opened the cupboard and brought out two big packs of noodles which had an inscription that best suited my situation “hungry man”.
As an expert chef which I claim to be, it took me just about 15 minutes and my noodles was ready.

Headed back to my room, bowl of noodles in one hand, a fork and a sachet of water in the other; I said a short quiet prayer and boom!! I pounced on the bowl of noodles. Halfway into the meal the electricity distribution company decided to supply us power for the first time in 3 days. Everywhere was rather quiet due to the fact that all the children had left for school, well almost all excluding the ‘perpetual late-comers’ so there was little or nobody to scream the ceremonial ‘UP NEPA’.
Time check, I still had about 30 minutes to spend at home before moving out; So I put on my hunch-backed television set and as I scrolled through the various t.v stations all I saw was news, political discussions, and more news.

I guess this was a bad idea after all so I turned it off, finished my meal and off I went 15 minutes before my planned departure time.
Trekking the short distance from my house to the bustop I couldn’t help but keep praying that an ongoing vehicle do not spray me some of the muddy water contained in the crevices of the dilapidated road.

Finally I got to the bustop and after a little bargaining with the bus conductor I hopped into the front seat which happens to be my favorite seat in public buses so as to prevent stains and squeezes on my shirt.
In less than 3 minutes the bus was full and we took off. The bus driver then turned on his traditional Calabar music which caused an uproar as majority of the passengers were in opposition to this. After a few exchange of abuses between both parties, the driver finally turned it off and the rest of the journey was travelled in peace.

As impossible as it felt, I reached my destination within 15 minutes instead of the 30 minutes I mapped out. This leaves me arriving 25 minutes before time; every firm loves a punctual employee don’t they?
I alighted the vehicle and crossed to the other side of the road then stepped into the company’s premises with faith hoping that today would be my lucky day.

https://rotherapper./2014/01/15/the-typical-monday-morning-of-a-job-hunter/

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by brainzdh(m): 10:21am On Nov 20, 2014
....waiting for part 2.

1 Like

Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by Emasel(m): 1:52pm On Nov 20, 2014
Good write up....waiting for next episode
Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 20, 2014
Am following
Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by Austindark(m): 3:34pm On Nov 20, 2014
naija life
Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by Maczeelly(m): 6:21pm On Nov 20, 2014
Good write up...........#Following bumper to bumper
Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by akinsadeez(m): 11:06pm On Nov 20, 2014
Nice. let me big popcorn and take a good seat
Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by bizngr(f): 2:41pm On Nov 21, 2014
IF you actually wrote this and it ends up on the FRONTPAGE, believe me, someone will be so thrilled to give you an offer.

2 Likes

Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by Xtaceeey: 3:39pm On Nov 21, 2014
Nice...

1st, d sound from the mosque woke u up, den ur neibor's music.. Meaning he had light and u don't?

How come EDC jst gav u guys light after 3days den?

Well its none of my business tho

2 Likes

Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by Polithiefcian(m): 5:47pm On Nov 21, 2014
Xtaceeey:
Nice...

1st, d sound from the mosque woke u up, den ur neibor's music.. Meaning he had light and u don't?

Wat happened to generator
Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by toxiflam: 5:50pm On Nov 21, 2014
Xtaceeey:
Nice...

Ever heard of" I pass my neighbor" generator
Mosque use them so also his neighbor
Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by Xtaceeey: 5:55pm On Nov 21, 2014
toxiflam:

Ever heard of" I pass my neighbor" generator
Mosque use them so also his neighbor

Then d gen shd av d 1st noise bfor d music... So dat gen noise shd av woken him up 1st and nt d music

What I tink tho...
Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by toxiflam: 6:02pm On Nov 21, 2014
Xtaceeey:

Then d gen shd av d 1st noise bfor d music... So dat gen noise shd av woken him up 1st and nt d music

What I tink tho...
Not out of place,
however, consider a scenario where the generator is a well serviced one and placed behind the building
Anyway, Dats also my thought
Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by Xtaceeey: 6:07pm On Nov 21, 2014
toxiflam:

Not out of place,
however, consider a scenario where the generator is a well serviced one and placed behind the building
Anyway, Dats also my thought

Ok. Noted
Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by tonaydo(m): 7:44pm On Nov 21, 2014
Xtaceeey:
Nice...

and what if you have a lousy neighbour? U didn't consider this things.
Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by Acegoals: 8:42pm On Nov 21, 2014
Wow! Good writeup! Kudos bro. Keep it coming.

One question though.

The setting (location) of the short story is not made known. Except of course it is Calabar as you almost portrayed with the traditional music in the bus.
Re: A Typical Monday Morning Of A Job Hunter by bizngr(f): 8:46am On Nov 24, 2014
Today is MONDAY... Why not move this to frontpage, o'ye Mod!

(1) (Reply)

Maersk Liner Graduate Programme 2015 / FHI 360 Fresh Graduate & Experienced Job Recruitment / Interview Verification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.