Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,836 members, 7,806,355 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks (30817 Views)

Jiji Please Screen 99.9% Of Those Placing Jobs Ad In Your Site. / CBN Recruitment 2014 / Career Website Of The 25 Banks In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by shilexholly(m): 12:37pm On Nov 20, 2014
We complain to u .....#wewanttarget
Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by UjSizzle(f): 12:37pm On Nov 20, 2014
NosaHenry:
See who is talking. Emefiele that almost killed us in Zenith bank
grin Biko tell me about it cheesy

1 Like

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by born2boink(m): 12:42pm On Nov 20, 2014
MAYOWAAK:
BEFORE WE BARRAGE OUR BANKS TO DEATH
These days, I am always saddened when I go into any banking hall in Nigeria. The environment is often depressing. Maybe it’s that desperate look on the faces of the staff, that tells you they’ve been barraged and insulted this morning, threatened that their jobs could disappear at any moment. The culture has always been that the board asks the MD to perform the impossible, all they are interested in is the huge profits. The MD equally unleashes terror on his EDs and GMs. It’s like nuclear energy. You know, the atomic bomb. It starts small, but by the time it rolls down the rank and file, it picks up velocity, meanness and wickedness. This culture is what drives many a ‘bank worker’ to hate the system so much, they too start thinking of defrauding the banks. By the time the hateful energy reaches the guy on the shop floor, he just can’t take it anymore. It also drives them to make mistakes in their duties, apart from taking their dignity away.
The marketing guys bear the brunt. These days, many banks have employed marketers based strictly on commission. Some earn just N30,000 (less than $200) a month, if they don’t manage to open new accounts. Marketing cars? Where you see am? I see them sometimes trekking long distances after leaving my office. It’s depressing. Banking is far from what it used to be. In my first exposure to being a relationship officer, in 1997, I was allocated about 14 accounts, and told to grow the business on them. I was given a bit of pressure to open new good relationships. But today, the management of banks no longer care about relationships. They give instructions to their staff to go open 10,000 accounts each. Let me give them a feedback right here right now; it is damaging to your business, to the psychology of your staff, to how we the customers view you, and to the banking profession at large. It just does not make sense. How on earth is anyone going to manage 10,000 accounts? Not even 1,000. Not even 100.
What happened to banking? Most of the problem came from the executives, past and present. Nigerian banks are commercial banks. But they want to roll like the investment banks of Canary Wharf or Wall Street. Only better. They want to earn – at the top levels – better than those guys. They can even do personal deals that the Wall Street bankers would get jailed for. They live large, become high rollers. Some get courted by the government, given awards and appointed into all sorts of committees. This creates antagonism between the banks and the customers. The regulator steps in, determines the excesses of the banks, and rolls out the sanctions.
Unfortunately, it is the rank and file who suffers. The first to get wasted are those junior people. They are the first whose careers are stalled. In the days when the current executives were climbing the ladder, they knew they had a career. But today, careers are finished. What you get when you walk into a banking hall, apart from empty cubicles where they had planned to have human beings dispensing cash until e-Banking came along, are those sad eyes that I hate to look into. It’s not as if it’s easy for those of us outside, but it depresses one to see those faces, and oftentimes, to be told by them in hushed tones just how desperate things are, as they slip their CVs into your palms or obtain your email for the same purpose.
And then we all form the mob and rain down on the banks. Every customer is sure that they are overcharging his/her account even if there is no evidence. No one wants N1.00 to be taken as charges for anything. Some banks used to pay you for withdrawing money from your account. When I see the fees they take for sundry services, I wonder how they survive. For me, the issue is not generator and diesel. As standard businesses, with loads of staff to pay, you have to generate some good income. Nigerians say the banks should face their core business of lending. But we forget that even we Nigerians are very bad debtors. See what we had to move to AMCON, bailouts for many of our big men, many of whom hold national awards! The nation as a whole had to pay. For normal customers, 70% - 80% of the loans go bad. You give a loan and the man thinks it is just cash flow by any means. He decides to re-bury his grandmother who died 25 years ago! He pays tithes of 10% to his church because his pastor told him “you have to pay on every cash flow so that ‘Gaaad’ blesses the rest!!”
But I urge that we have a rethink about the way we have been raining down on our banks. They are shrinking. Their businesses are shrinking. Even their staff are shrinking in size. No, it’s not the gym. It’s the stress and bad cash flow. It’s the sanctions they receive from their bosses who are mostly at their wit’s end. It’s the psychological trauma of being cursed at every meeting for not meeting ‘targets’. It’s the trauma of being employed as an internal control officer, an internal auditor, only to be asked to go and meet your family and raise N200million in new accounts. It’s the apparent failure of the current banking business model. The problem is; can we imagine how the ideal situation will look like? Certainly, the executives have to reduce their expectations. They probably have to earn less because the cash flows will not sustain the expectations of the past. But those at the lower echelon need protection from the regulators and the rest of us. They need a proper return to the days when they could be happy that they have careers. The exuberance of the Soludo days – when branches were opened everywhere at huge costs – are since over. The illusions have disappeared. The industry has shaken out. Many have been laid off. But we should not stand aside as the industry shrinks to death. Indeed we should not bring out our own machetes and inflict more blows as part of the lynchmob.
I hope the banks find their mojos back. A lot of them are just marking time. The days of innocence are gone. Even we the people will not be happy with the picture when it all comes tumbling down. It’s also about the disappearance of the middle class. The only ‘safe’ industry in Nigeria is oil and gas. Telecoms has shaken out too; is still shaking out. Let’s have some mercy for our banks and bankers please. Believe it or not, they need it.
BY:TOPE FASUA
You are on point niggar! You are on point.
Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by willorie(f): 12:44pm On Nov 20, 2014
Commercial banks is now the hotspot for high profile
prostituti0n. Imagine telling someone to ensure a customer
deposit #100million every month,without arming them with
Ak47,or rocket launcher.

cheesy cheesy
I no fid laugh
but I tire oooo
It's so vry unrealistic angry

2 Likes

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by RFella(m): 12:49pm On Nov 20, 2014
That's why they employ pretty women in their marketing department, because they expect them to use what they have to get what the bank needs......

1 Like

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by Nobody: 12:52pm On Nov 20, 2014
Adesiji77:
The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN has warned commercial banks operating in the country against placing unrealistic deposit targets on their marketers. The apex bank gave the warning during the 2014 Bank Directors Association of Nigeria stakeholders’ forum held in Lagos.

The warning is as a result of the current practice by some financial institutions in the country whereby prospective employees are forced to meet unrealistic deposit target as a prerequisite for employment or promotion.

The practice, according to the CBN Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele who was represented at the forum by Oneybuchi Kelvin of the Banking Supervision Department, goes against the grains of acceptable ethical conduct and corporate governance. He told the gathering that the practice could induce negative moral implications.

According to him, forcing bank marketers, especially females to meet unrealistic deposit targets could influence their decision to engage in illegal and immoral acts. To curtail this trend, he said: “The CBN is using moral suasion. We have been talking to banks about it. It is a continuous effort that we are making and we see the trend coming down. We cannot sanction the banks because it a completely business decision. “But then we are telling banks that it is a wrong business decision. We have been speaking to them to change the strategy because it is affecting the banking culture and the landscape of the industry”

He added that the apex bank is working closely with the banks to reduce the amount of people that are compelled to resort to unethical means to meet unrealistic targets set by their banks. He further added that “The Governor of the CBN is using the instrumentality of the bankers’ committee to talk to the management of banks to stem down on some of these policies. The intention is not to kill the marketing departments but to reduce the pressure by reducing the unrealistic targets that they place on marketers. The target should be realistic.”

Also speaking, the President of BDAN, Dr. Sonny Kuku urged the apex bank to censor the activities of commercial banks forcing their marketers to meet up with unrealistic targets. “We cannot continue like this. It is against international best practice. Promotion or hiring should not be based on raising money to banks through any means. There has to be standard. That is the only way we can restore sanity to the system,” he said.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/stop-placing-unrealistic-targets-marketers-cbn-tells-banks/#sthash.US9EO1Wj.dpuf

OK but start with your ZENITH BANk.

1 Like

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by Console(f): 12:53pm On Nov 20, 2014
so now i can sleep with my both eyes closed smiley thank God!!! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by bosun11(m): 12:56pm On Nov 20, 2014
Yomieluv:
So true.

Commercial banks is now the hotspot for high profile prostituti0n. Imagine telling someone to ensure a customer deposit #100million every month,without arming them with Ak47,or rocket launcher.

A friend was displaced from her job when she couldn't meet up.

Bank marketers are modern day slaves..forget those suit,and ties they wear,behind the ties,and suits lies a groaning heart,bedeviled with pains..

does this apply to the bank marketers alone or all positions in the banking sector ?
Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by willorie(f): 12:59pm On Nov 20, 2014
Bank marketers are modern day slaves..forget those suit,and ties they wear,behind the ties,and suits lies a groaning heart,bedeviled with pains.

Dude abi chick indeed they are! angry angry
Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 20, 2014
Yomieluv:
So true.

Commercial banks is now the hotspot for high profile prostituti0n. Imagine telling someone to ensure a customer deposit #100million every month,without arming them with Ak47,or rocket launcher.

A friend was displaced from her job when she couldn't meet up.

Bank marketers are modern day slaves..forget those suit,and ties they wear,behind the ties,and suits lies a groaning heart,bedeviled with pains..

so true
Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by adeoladrg(m): 1:07pm On Nov 20, 2014
@Joecutie

Very well written!!!
In as much GOD did help you to put up a brilliant
write up of how HE doesn't exist,would you be
kind enough to ask for wisdom from GOD again to
carefully put up another brilliant write up of HIS
great Existence and also share with us?
Personally,I will be following your very next write
up from now and waiting for that one you'd be
writting about GOD's existence!!!
Thank you...

1 Like

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by Nobody: 1:07pm On Nov 20, 2014
bosun11:

does this apply to the bank marketers alone or all positions in the banking sector ?
more pronounce in the marketing sector.

1 Like

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by ibdeals1(m): 1:09pm On Nov 20, 2014
and gtb exchange rates hit 180 angry sad cry
Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 20, 2014
Cutehector4u:
If my future wife happens to b a banker, she must resign,...i mean must...

Resign and then what? You give her a job in your company? Better remain single.
Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 20, 2014
coolsix:

Resign and then what? You give her a job in your company? Better remain single.

am just sayn i wont marry a female banker in earnest....

1 Like

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by Gentleniel(m): 1:19pm On Nov 20, 2014
Why did he not mention the banks indulging in such moreover shouldn't there be a code and conduct for all banks? Maybe they should highlight the fubctions of CBN if that be the case and the expectations of the commercial banks
Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by munagi: 1:20pm On Nov 20, 2014
This is a laudable move by the CBN but action they say, speaks louder than voice. Implement it.
Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by Dee60: 1:21pm On Nov 20, 2014
WHAT MANNER OF STATEMENT?

ZENITH BANK, WHERE THE CBN GOVERNOR CAME FROM IS THE WORST CULPRIT. SO, HOW WILL THE BANKS TAKE CBN SERIOUS ON THIS?

HOW?

I AM JUST CURIOUS!

3 Likes

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by eluquenson(m): 1:33pm On Nov 20, 2014
Am laughing in swahili grin
Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by ignis: 1:41pm On Nov 20, 2014
Nice observation from CBN. ..
The targets being placed on marketers is way too much.

1 Like

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by Kayendy(m): 1:45pm On Nov 20, 2014
If he didn't change it when it favoured him in the bank he worked before becoming cbn governor, y change it now.. Maybe one of his has fallen a victim
Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by kosalabaro: 1:45pm On Nov 20, 2014
Bank job nowadays is nothing, but a real dirty job.
In 2007 - 2008, UBA's newfound cowboy, Tony Elumelu, recruited massively from Zenith in its rabid drive to be the best bank in the world.
So, along came the Zenith ''whizz kids'' codenamed Strategic Hires [/b]and they were given higher salary notches than the average UBA guy literarily 'put on death row'
The so-called Strategic Hires brought along 'Hot money' (banking parlance for fixed deposits) which did the magic: UBA posted a balloned balance sheet size for that particular year end....but what happened thereafter? All the hot funds soon dissappeared...and gradually the strategic hires correspondingly dissappeared one by one to other banks.
Now, UBA is back to the old CABAL size pre the era of the whizz kids!

But meanwhile, hundreds of the old UBA staff that built the old CABAL had been sacked as they were all termed ''laggards.''

This, in a nutshell, summarises what has become of the Nigerian Banking Industry - [b]An Unprogressive House of Evil. A real Hammer House of Horror.

Run for dear life, please!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by Ugom87(f): 1:46pm On Nov 20, 2014
Good move.Turning female marketers into prostitutes

2 Likes

Re: Stop Placing Unrealistic Targets On Marketers, CBN Tells Banks by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 20, 2014
That thing is so annoying. A friend of mine was given 10m target. She just finished university ooo. Her other friend had 5million so when I saw her friend, I knew why. It's how beautiful you are, how high your target is. These banks are just insensitive, even the guys are not left out. Sugar toys in business suits.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Employable Qualities For Nigerian Graduates / FRSC 2018 Recruitment Screening Time-Table, Dates / How I Failed The Fidelity Bank Job Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.