Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,362 members, 7,780,985 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:55 AM

I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... (6992 Views)

Ex BBC Boss, David Hayward Complains ” This Is Not The Nigeria I Was Expecting” / "i Love Nigeria" T-shirt Wanted By Usa Visitor / How Do I Get To Guinea From Nigeria I Need Guidelines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 20, 2014
I love Nigeria...I AM PROUD TO BE CALLED A NIGERIAN....But I am applying to study in Canada, UK, US, Australia, Europe.

I Love Nigeria but I want to have my baby in the US or Canada.

I love Nigeria but i need a visa to migrate to Tanzania, Zimbabwe, SA, Zambia.

Who are we f00ling? Isn't it hypocritical of the said lovers to want to move to another country for a better life? A life Nigeria could not offer them?

A nairalander sometime this week needed info on how to go about applying for a masters program in canada. This person is also a lover of Nigeria and wanted to know why I had much hatred for Nigeria and I told her its for the same reason she has chosen to study in canada instead of Nigeria.

People move around continents in search of fulfillment. Americans, Aussies, canadians, french, Germans, Brits e.t.c. and if push comes to shove their government will see to their well being anywhere they find themselves. They have ALMOST everything that us Nigerians can only dream about. Nigerians in my opinion leave the country for a better life. A life our country can never afford us even if we stayed abroad or returned to our country.

This brings me to one important question; are those who claim to love Nigeria yet chose to have their babies or education outside Nigeria hypocrites?

PS pardon my errors...I am mobile

9 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Evina(f): 4:45pm On Nov 20, 2014
I don't think so. Hypocrite is a strong word to use on them (me inclusive). Loving one's country means to be patriotic, to have love for one's culture and heritage.

The fact that I patronize the services provided by other countries doesn't mean that I don't love my country.

Yes, I will go there to get the education that I need and come back to invest in my country.

I don't loose my cultural values when I travel, I still dress traditionally and would defend the image of my country. That is love for my country.

7 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 4:51pm On Nov 20, 2014
It's funny to see people running away when all the super-rich people I know are returning or planning to return.

2 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by pansophist(m): 5:19pm On Nov 20, 2014
Being Patriotic has nothing to do with aspiring to study abroad, live abroad and/or experience other cultures. Thousands of Chinese are living in Nigeria for economics reasons presently, does that mean they aint patriotic to China?

I assume you still visit other countries of which you are not a citizen of, does that mean you are a hyprocrite and unpatriotic? using migration as a yardstick to judge patriotism is very wrong and nailing it with hypocrisy makes everything totally baseless.

4 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 20, 2014
Read my message loud and clear.

How many Americans leave America, fly down to Nigeria to have their babies?

How many Americans leave America to come down to Nigeria to study?

@Evina

You dont need to patronize anyone. You dont need to leave and come back. You can always stay back IN NIGERIA and make a difference without seeking for more developed knowledge outside Nigeria.

Thats my point

8 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Evina(f): 5:57pm On Nov 20, 2014
jennykadry:

@Evina

You dont need to patronize anyone. You dont need to leave and come back. You can always stay back IN NIGERIA and make a difference without seeking for more developed knowledge outside Nigeria.

Thats my point

They don't leave their countries to school in Nigeria or patronize health care services, oh but they sure do seek "greener pastures" in Nigeria wink

Your point is not rational. Americans go to Japan everytime to patronize their technology. So it means they don't love their country?

9 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 20, 2014
Evina:

They don't leave their countries to school in Nigeria or patronize health care services, oh but they sure do seek "greener pastures" in Nigeria wink

Your point is not rational. Americans go to Japan everytime to patronize their technology. So it means they don't love their country?

You obviously did not read my post. Clearly the answer to your second paragraph lies in my sixth paragraph. Please take your time to read it well.

Lmao at greener pastures....except these people are children of politicians....madam your greener pastures get K leg. Please I would love a percentage of these greener pasture seekers against the ones running to America everyday

The only politician I know whose kids studied in Nigeria is GEJ the rest its a long thing. Now go through the list of foreign leaders and tell me how many of then sent their children outside their countries like Nigerians

6 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by tdayof(m): 6:17pm On Nov 20, 2014
#film in the making!op do more research on this words
1)hate
2)love
3)passion and
4)useless
Before I can go on with my comments

3 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by gnykelly(m): 7:49pm On Nov 20, 2014
you can claim to be patriotic by traveling abroad ( visiting, studying) with the end of obtaining their permanent residence or passports. it is unpatriotic.
thousands are in USA and UK illegally and thousands are seeking to leave asking for how two secure visa here at the travel section every day. with out clear goal of what they are going to do. except to acquire citizenship.

I think we should travel to learn and copy technology. so as to develop our country. just like China did.
Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 20, 2014
It is not ordinary Nigerians' fault to move away to other countries that have what Nigeria can not and is not willing to provide. So we claim patriotism when we make a living and fame from the unorganized and illegal ways of doing things here or/& when we know we have got anchor pass elsewhere.
Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 20, 2014
The people who claim to be patriotic usually travel for one reason....to get the permanent papers of a more developed country and secure their future. So when these people talk about patriotism it makes me wanna ask them one question...are you a hypocrite?
Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 8:23pm On Nov 20, 2014
jennykadry:
The people who claim to be patriotic usually travel for one reason....to get the permanent papers of a more developed country and secure their future. So when these people talk about patriotism it makes me wanna ask them one question...are you a hypocrite?
Yea...most Nigerians are hypocritical. They tell u nothing is in US but have the births of their kids there. You need to see how they pray for airliners not to turn back their wives when the bulge gets visible.

3 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 20, 2014
ferdimako:

Yea...most Nigerians are hypocritical. They tell u nothing is in US but have the births of their kids there. You need to see how they pray for airliners not to turn back their wives when the bulge gets visible.
Finally!!!! Someone understands where I am coming from.

The travel section is proof enough. I love Nigeria...#team Nigeria. Yet they are on many threads asking for a way out. Who are we deceiving? Thats one question I would like an answer to.
Like my father will say....you can deceive others and call yourself smart but when you deceive yourself you are the complete opposite of smart.
Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by pansophist(m): 8:33pm On Nov 20, 2014
jennykadry:

It will be coherent if you use the word ''nationalism'' instead of patriotism. Patriotism is, generally speaking, cultural attachment to one's country. patriotism does'nt fit perfectly in what you are trying to define. Patriotism is broad and can be construed to a contextual definition. Nationalism involve national identity, allegiance, conscription etc while it can be arguable that patriotism do not. They are somewhat not synonymous but related.

4 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 20, 2014
pansophist:

It will be coherent if you use the word ''nationalism'' instead of patriotism. Patriotism is, generally speaking, cultural attachment to one's country. patriotism does'nt fit perfectly in what you are trying to define. Patriotism is broad and can be construed to a contextual definition. Nationalism involve national identity, allegiance, conscription etc while it can be arguable that patriotism do not. They are somewhat not synonymous but related.

NO patriotism. I am proud of Nigeria, I am proud to be a Nigerian anyday anytkme...I will come back home after my studies to distribute my aquiredknowledge across the whole Nigeria.
Story for the gods

1 Like

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 8:42pm On Nov 20, 2014
pansophist:

but we don't act as if we have a beloved country. Just three major ethnic groups... we are at each other's throat. Governors forget each developed state makes up a stable Nigeria but we prefer to run to America and Canada that have everybody and tolerate all there. Crazy stuff!
Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Scholes007(m): 9:00pm On Nov 20, 2014
Nigerian are very fun...i know of a man that travel to Spain but he still calls home to demand for money...always having business problems Then it makes me to ask is there really greener pastures over their.
Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 9:09pm On Nov 20, 2014
Scholes007:
Nigerian are very fun...i know of a man that travel to Spain but he still calls home to demand for money...always having business problems Then it makes me to ask is there really greener pastures over their.
I have never lived in spain so I cant speak in that regards...but one thing I know for sure is some people are useless. It doesnt matter where they find themselves....they have already set themselves up to fail

2 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Bifwoli: 12:59am On Nov 21, 2014
jennykadry:

I have never lived in spain so I cant speak in that regards...but one thing I know for sure is some people are useless. It doesnt matter where they find themselves....they have already set themselves up to fail

The grass is always greener on the other side but what some Nigerians fail to appreciate is that it's that way because someone watered it(i,e worked their ass off).And so they set themselves to fail.

1 Like

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 1:14am On Nov 21, 2014
This thread is gonna be interesting.

1 Like

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 2:34am On Nov 21, 2014
Loving something doesn't necessary mean you die with it,if its not favorable to you..
Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by suxes2005(m): 8:43am On Nov 21, 2014
Aunty Jenny is here again.

Okay, I also love Nigeria BUT I just want to make
a 100 million dolls before going home smiley

justijesu loves Nigeria as well smiley

~ Sheyi
Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 6:20pm On Nov 21, 2014
suxes2005:
Aunty Jenny is here again.

Okay, I also love Nigeria BUT I just want to make
a 100 million dolls before going home smiley

justijesu loves Nigeria as well smiley

~ Sheyi

Lmao.Leave my Justi4jesu o.

Being Nigerian has caused me too much grief. Not nice
Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 21, 2014
Yomieluv:
Loving something doesn't necessary mean you die with it,if its not favorable to you..

I am not telling anyone to die with Nigeria. Again, people who claim to be die hard patriotic citizens should stop running away from Nigeria to secure their future elsewhere.

3 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 1:06am On Nov 22, 2014
jennykadry:
I love Nigeria...I AM PROUD TO BE CALLED A NIGERIAN....But I am applying to study in Canada, UK, US, Australia, Europe.

I Love Nigeria but I want to have my baby in the US or Canada.

I love Nigeria but i need a visa to migrate to Tanzania, Zimbabwe, SA, Zambia.

Who are we f00ling? Isn't it hypocritical of the said lovers to want to move to another country for a better life? A life Nigeria could not offer them?

A nairalander sometime this week needed info on how to go about applying for a masters program in canada. This person is also a lover of Nigeria and wanted to know why I had much hatred for Nigeria and I told her its for the same reason she has chosen to study in canada instead of Nigeria.

People move around continents in search of fulfillment. Americans, Aussies, canadians, french, Germans, Brits e.t.c. and if push comes to shove their government will see to their well being anywhere they find themselves. They have ALMOST everything that us Nigerians can only dream about. Nigerians in my opinion leave the country for a better life. A life our country can never afford us even if we stayed abroad or returned to our country.

This brings me to one important question; are those who claim to love Nigeria yet chose to have their babies or education outside Nigeria hypocrites?

PS pardon my errors...I am mobile

Deciding to live,school or have babies outside your homeland does not translate to hatred for your homeland.
yes I agree America or UK and the west In general has a lure for many people ,not just Nigerians,it doesn't mean they hate their homelands.
The number of Asians especially Indians and Chinese/ Korean would outnumber the Nigerians in the west tremendously and they move out here with every member of their families including their grandmothers but still proud of their heritage and country of birth.

I remember you writing that you grew up in Lagos,does that mean you hated Igboland?
I know your answer will be no
Your parents probably worked or ran a business in Lagos so you lived in Lagos and visited the East
Mine worked and ran their business in Igboland,so I lived in Igboland and visited Lagos
The problems many people have with Nigeria include the corruption,instability,bad healthcare,bad education systems.A woman giving birth in the UK or the USA has almost guaranteed chance of surviving the childbirth,it is not so in Nigeria.
Moreover an American citizenship confers one an advantage that a NigeLrian citizenship wouldn't so that makes it desirable.

In the 80s when the naira was stronger than the dollar,hardly anyone went to the USA to have their children
Very few went to the UK for childbirth or aspired to.people were not running away from Nigeria
Infact people who travelled out to study returned at the end of their studies to take up jobs in Nigeria.

Degrees from Nigeria outside of Nigeria are near worthless but a degree from the west,is coveted all over the world including in Nigeria.
A masters degree from the UK even if from one of those polytechnics turned university in London is preferred to one from UNILAG.

In a nutshell Nigeria has issues but many of us still love it dearly and proudly so
Personally if insecurity and lack of law enforcement wasn't an issue, and life was generally less stressful myself and many people I know wouldn't spend a day longer here.
There is no place like home.
I carry an American passport and love America but I will always be a Nigerian
I may not like what it has become but I love my country.

4 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 1:24am On Nov 22, 2014
babyosisi:

Deciding to live,school or have babies outside your homeland does not translate to hatred for your homeland.
yes I agree America or UK and the west In general is a lure for many people ,not just Nigerians,it doesn't mean they hate their homelands.
The number of Asians especially Indians and Chinese/ Korean would outnumber the Nigerians in the west tremendously and they move out here with every member of their families including their grandmothers but still proud of their heritage and country of birth.

I remember you writing that you grew up in Lagos,does that mean you hated Igboland?
I know your answer will be no
Your parents probably worked or ran a business in Lagos so you lived in Lagos and visited the East
Mine worked and ran their business in Igboland,so I lived in Igboland and visited Lagos
The problems many people have with Nigeria include the corruption,instability,bad healthcare,bad education systems.A woman giving birth in the UK or the USA has almost guaranteed chance of surviving the childbirth,it is not so in Nigeria.
Moreover an American citizenship confers one an advantage that a Nigerian citizenship wouldn't so that makes it desirable.

In the 80s when the naira was stronger than the dollar,hardly anyone went to the USA to have their children
Very few went to the UK for childbirth or aspired to.people were not running away from Nigeria
Infact people who travelled out to study returned at the end of their studies to take up jobs in Nigeria.

Degrees from Nigeria outside of Nigeria are near worthless but a degree from the west,is coveted all over the world including in Nigeria.
A masters degree from the UK even if from one of those polytechnics turned university in London is preferred to one from UNILAG.

In a nutshell Nigeria has issues but many of us still love it dearly and proudly so
Personally if insecurity and lack of law enforcement wasn't an issue, and life was generally less stressful myself and many people I know wouldn't spend a day longer here.
There is no place like home.
I carry an American passport and love America but I will always be a Nigerian
I may not like what it has become but I love my country.

Oh really...okay..find below a post you made with you other ID a few months back...pray tell, what changed your mind? how did you fall back in love with Nigeria?

www.nairaland.com/1806133/nigeria-useless-countryyou-need-away

Nigeria Is A Useless Country,you Need To Be Away From Nigeria To See It

Babymama1:
Many years ago in a conversation,I told someone that a time would come in Nigeria when a child born will know nothing else but how to cheat and scheme and connive and dupe others or do whatever it takes to get ahead.
I believe Nigeria is at that time now.
The place is useless.Increasingly I feel a lot of disgust for that land.

I pretend to love it when sorrounded by foreigners,I won't let people bash my country and get away without a response but in my heart of hearts ,I agree with them.
I held out hope for years till I told myself the truth and that truth is that the only way that country could be saved is by a Passover,the like of what happened in Biblical times when the children of Israel wanted to leave Egypt and the angel of death had to kill the first sons of the Egyptians while passing over the house of the Israelites.
There should be a Passover of some sort where every man or woman who had a hand in the rot of the land is done away with by a similar angel ,all in one night so fear can grip the survivors and perhaps change will come.
At the current state we are in,there is no hope for a change
The foundation and make up of the country and it's systems are completely rotted.
There is hardly any truthful man in the land
Everyone expects something for nothing and something for something.
There is no love in anyone's heart for Nigeria
Don't get me wrong,America is no paradise but Americans are genuinely proud of their country and would fight to defend it.
Nigerians are not proud of Nigeria and who could blame them
The country has done nothing for any of us
Dying for Nigeria is useless!it is not worth it
I make bold to state that all those who died in a fight to keep Nigeria one died in vain,sadly.
The country is not worth dying for.

8 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 1:51am On Nov 22, 2014
jennykadry:

Oh really...okay..find below a post you made with you other ID a few months back...pray tell, what changed your mind? how did you fall back in love with Nigeria?

www.nairaland.com/1806133/nigeria-useless-countryyou-need-away

Nigeria Is A Useless Country,you Need To Be Away From Nigeria To See It

Yes I wrote that
I started that thread actually
Venting out the frustrations I have with my native land
That is very normal
We love our husbands and sometimes we also can't stand them

I also in this post mentioned those same reasons
Take away the frustrations in Nigeria,I would be there in a heartbeat
No contradictions there

Ask any white American right now about his country with Obama as president ( whom they hate) ,you will hear those same frustrations at various times,they still wouldn't choose the UK over the USA

Nigeria does get to you with all the ills in it,I am free to express those frustrations ,doesn't mean I hate Nigeria
There is no place you and I can ever be fully and completely accepted like in Nigeria no matter what peak you get to
You know that just as well as I do
When an Australian looks at you,you are a foreigner and will always remain a foreigner till the day you die
Same here
You have refused to answer the question

You grew up in Lagos,does that mean you hate Igboland?

2 Likes

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 1:56am On Nov 22, 2014
babyosisi:

Yes I wrote that
Venting out the frustrations I have with my native land
That is very normal
We love our husbands and sometimes we also can't stand them

I also in this post mentioned those same reasons
Take away the frustrations in Nigeria,I would be there in a heartbeat
No contradictions there
Ask any white American right now about his country with Obama as president ( whom they hate) ,you will hear those same frustrations at various times,they still wouldn't choose the UK over the USA
Nigeria does get to you with all the ills in it,I am free to express my frustrations
There is no place you and I can ever be fully and completely accepted like in Nigeria
lol okay. Your old post I quoted has all the answers I need anyways.

Time for grocery shopping. Enjoy
Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 2:01am On Nov 22, 2014
jennykadry:

lol okay. Your old post I quoted has all the answers I need anyways.

Time for grocery shopping. Enjoy

You live in Australia but you have written that you go to Nigeria annually for 6 weeks
Isn't that contradictory to the subject of your thread
You can't hate Nigeria and still return to it annually
And you cannot be said to hate Nigeria because you moved

Anyway maybe you are just feeling the same frustrations I felt and still feel
It's allowed

1 Like

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 2:09am On Nov 22, 2014
Nice thread to know who are the real nigerians........learning more!!!☺
Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 2:10am On Nov 22, 2014
That is me from that same thread
This post summarizes it all
My rants about Nigeria is borne primarily out of my love for Nigeria and a deep desire and wishes that things were better

Babymama1:

Let them say what they like,if that makes them feel better

I am probably one of the most patriotic Nigerians here
If you hear me boast with Chinua Achebe and Fela when such conversations come up you would think I knew them personally.
Any one that talks ill about naija where I am gets corrected fast but in my quiet moments I weep for my country.
Why is our place the way it is and no one cares?

My father and mother are pensioners
As we speak,he hardly gets his pension paid
If my parents didn't have other means of livelihood,they would have died of starvation and curable diseases etc like many pensioners their age.
The pension people at the office pays him a few hundred Naira short of his pension when they pay it
Someone decided to take that extra bit and rounded off his pension to an amount they decided
I don't know exactly what but something like if he got N543,he only gets 500
The change belonged to the pension office people and they do same to every pensioner and no one says a word.
That is Nigeria for you,they owe you for months and when they pay,they still steal from retired people without shame
And on Sunday the same people will sit in Church and give testimony
The robbery is at every level

1 Like

Re: I Love Nigeria...I Am Proud To Be called A Nigerian BUT....... by Nobody: 2:10am On Nov 22, 2014
I visit NIGERIA to see my parents every year. Like I have repeatedly said....the day they decide or agree to move permanently that's it except the kids push for it. That is the deal we all had with them.... Visit them atleast once a year or more if any health scare.

I don't like Nigeria and like you stated in that post of yours you are trying so hard to defend (not that I know why) I believe Nigeria is useless.

I can vent alright but the one thing I have never said to people I love or a country I love is ....."I pretend to love you when there are people around".

I get it...no need trying to justify your post about calling the same nation you claim to love useless and also claimed you pretend to love.

No biggie. I only quoted that post to remind you of what you used your own fingers to type.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See The Mass Exodus Of Igbos Going Home For Christmas - Photos / Personal Travel Allowance / Is It True Goergia Has Stop Visa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.