Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,922 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa (29115 Views)

Why Nigerian Family Businesses Fail. / The 10 Most Expensive Alcoholic Drinks On Earth / Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by ibdeals1(m): 2:42am On Nov 24, 2014
cool
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by kentochi(m): 2:43am On Nov 24, 2014
My name will soon be there.
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by ChukwuCantDie: 2:47am On Nov 24, 2014
I came into the thread expecting to see 10 AFRICANS not 3 Africans, 2 Europeans and 5 Indians.

2 Likes

Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by fittty(m): 3:10am On Nov 24, 2014
Seen
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by emmykk(m): 5:47am On Nov 24, 2014
I employ nairalander to read.
1.the richest man in babylon.
2.the millionaire next door.
3.cashflow quadrant.
4.the rules of wealth by templar.
5.successdigest
6 .E-myth.
And you may soon know why the rich get richer and the poorer get poorer

1 Like

Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by Bekwarra(m): 6:08am On Nov 24, 2014
@Op can you please give us a list of the largest family businesses in France? Some of their children are my classmates here at the University of Lyon.
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by iamord(m): 6:21am On Nov 24, 2014
biafranqueen:
Madhvani Group

Year Founded: 1918

Founder: Muljibhai Madhvani

In 1918, Muljibhai Madhvani acquired a piece of land in Kakira, a small commercial town in Eastern Uganda, with which he established a sugar factory. That sugar factory, Kakira Sugarworks, is today the largest producer of sugar in the East African region, producing an estimated 165,000 metric tonnes of sugar annually and employing over 8,000 people. It is also the flagship company of the Madhavani Group, a large Ugandan conglomerate that owns numerous hotels, tea estates, construction, insurance and distribution companies. It also owns and operates the Kakira Airport. Muljibhai Madhvani’s youngest son, Mayur Madhvani, currently holds the reins as CEO of the group, a position he assumed after his elder brothers passed away. Mayur has played a crucial role in revitalizing the group, and is responsible for diversifying Madhvani’s interests from manufacturing to service-related industries. His younger daughter is being groomed to take over.

I was expecting to see this man.. I saw him on african voices.. He is in $$$$$

1 Like

Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by SAMBARRY: 6:36am On Nov 24, 2014
Misogynist2014:
Sambarry, pashaun what is happening? Where are the women? They were all founded by men wink cheesy
yeah right the same way Mary kay, Oprah Winfrey network etc were founded by men wink

next

1 Like

Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by mrgaga: 7:03am On Nov 24, 2014
madjune:
I need buyers or distributors for newly arrived HAND SANITIZERS from USA.

Call 08053813919.

man so u still inside this bizness even after WHO declared naija ebola free

4 Likes

Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by hardbody: 7:04am On Nov 24, 2014
[quote author=nd07 post=28293256][/quote]

Is Adenuga not running a family business?

What about Dele Fajemirokun (a scion of Henry Fajemirokun)

@ OP, your list is very un-researched.
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by hardbody: 7:07am On Nov 24, 2014
mrgaga:

man so u still inside this bizness even after WHO declared naija ebola free

The guy's money is stuck. He took a bank loan to purchase sanitizers in the hope that Nigeria is a ready market. He did not do his feasibility studies well. Nigerians, the whole world over, are scared of death the most. So they will do most things to avoid the scourge that you have now come to treat.

Oga, abeg go find a bridge loan to repay your gbese

1 Like

Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 24, 2014
hardbody:

The guy's money is stuck. He took a bank loan to purchase sanitizers in the hope that Nigeria is a ready market. He did not do his feasibility studies well. Nigerians, the whole world over, are scared of death the most. So they will do most things to avoid the scourge that you have now come to treat.

Oga, abeg go find a bridge loan to repay your gbese
grin abeg tell am..
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by biafranqueen: 7:40am On Nov 24, 2014
hardbody:

Is Adenuga not running a family business?

What about Dele Fajemirokun (a scion of Henry Fajemirokun)

@ OP, your list is very un-researched.

His family is part of the 100 richest Nigerians and they are old money (3 generations). They are not in the top 10 thanks for your comment though.
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by darne(m): 7:58am On Nov 24, 2014
Hmmm my family name should be in that list, as time goes on abeg

#NoLateComer undecided undecided
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by KLand(m): 8:49am On Nov 24, 2014
I am impressed with the Dantata story.

Fast forward.........

Why is that Kenyatta patriarch looking like our own Olu Jacobs? grin
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by rareman(m): 9:26am On Nov 24, 2014
One good thing about this list is that majority of them started small, and on non-oil field. Its interesting especially now that we have craze for oil and the oil is disappointing us.
Imagine the man who started manufacturing edible oil is among biggest employer of labour.
@OP Thanks for this thread!
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by free2ryhme: 3:57pm On Nov 24, 2014
ugotex85:
Good job, my family will be next.

No be by mOuth and post
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by free2ryhme: 4:01pm On Nov 24, 2014
Bekwarra:
@Op can you please give us a list of the largest family businesses in France? Some of their children are my classmates here at the University of Lyon.

Mention the children names here ?

Bloody agege bread seller
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by ugotex85: 4:44pm On Nov 24, 2014
free2ryhme:

No be by mOuth and post
There is power in the spoken words.
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by free2ryhme: 4:51pm On Nov 24, 2014
ugotex85:

There is power in the spoken words.

Faith without action is dead

You plant corn u didnot water weed and fertilize it will die
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by DAVE5(m): 5:02pm On Nov 24, 2014
major466:
I will be there.

Amen

1 Like

Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by Bekwarra(m): 5:57pm On Nov 24, 2014
free2ryhme:

Mention the children names here ?

Bloody agege bread seller
Walahi ma gba eti e
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by free2ryhme: 6:03pm On Nov 24, 2014
Bekwarra:

Walahi ma gba eti e

Oya continue to dey exhibit you agbero, france indeed
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by Bekwarra(m): 11:42pm On Nov 24, 2014
free2ryhme:

Oya continue to dey exhibit you agbero, france indeed
It's France and not france. Your education is incomplete.
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by ugotex85: 1:34am On Nov 25, 2014
free2ryhme:

Faith without action is dead

You plant corn u didnot water weed and fertilize it will die
And who says I am not working towards it? Trust me, I know the law of sowing and reaping more than u think.
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by free2ryhme: 5:10am On Nov 25, 2014
Bekwarra:

It's France and not france. Your education is incomplete.

U wey get comPlete education I greet u
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by Misogynist2014(m): 6:31am On Nov 25, 2014
SAMBARRY:
yeah right the same way Mary kay, Oprah Winfrey network etc were founded by men wink

next
O ga o. Se Iwo ko mo pe iye billionare okurin ju obirin fio fio? cheesy
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by SAMBARRY: 9:34am On Nov 25, 2014
Misogynist2014:
O ga o. Se Iwo ko mo pe iye billionare okurin ju obirin fio fio? cheesy
na so . Google is not your enemy. Do the needful

next cool

1 Like

Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by biafranqueen: 10:51pm On Nov 25, 2014
all4naija:
Don't you know how to read?
Before it was investigated it was not globally known did you read the article I posted the link undecided
Re: The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa by biafranqueen: 11:05pm On Nov 25, 2014
prodam:
Very good analysis, OP. Good legacies...what will our generation be known for?..greater things of course!..

In addition, most of the big firms we have these days thrived and struggled for years till date making strong footprints in the sands of time..KPMG, Unilever, Akintola Williams, Guiness,Microsoft, from one transformation to another, many failed attempts but at the end, it will be greatness..no b today e start, that's why First Bank will always let you know since 1894.. It takes time to build something great..
You got that right and experience shows, First Bank is my Bank and I enjoy the services. I can access my account at any ATM in the world and the customer service is top notch.

I believe our generation will indeed outpace the ones before us, if we don't all they did as an example would be a waste. But as we see in the Tech World New wealth is being created everyday. So much family wealth is lost in Nigeria because usually when the person that built that wealth dies, siblings, uncles even strangers will start hustling assets, because of unclear Estate wills. Thankfully things are changing in the system.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Are You Preparing For Subsidy Removal? / Nigerians Vent Their Anger On CBN, Bankers / Youngest Billionaire Still Bikes To Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.