Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,840 members, 7,806,361 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:24 PM

Travelling Under The English Channel With A Car In A Train - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling Under The English Channel With A Car In A Train (1617 Views)

Trailer Falls On A Car In Kubwa, Abuja (Photos) / Family Escapes Death As Steel Ring Falls Off Trailer & Crushed Car In Magboro / See What This Foreign Photographer Said She Saw On A Train From LAGOS To KANO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travelling Under The English Channel With A Car In A Train by Tats(m): 12:20pm On Nov 21, 2014
Ever thought of what it is like to travel inside a train with your car and the train goes under the water crossing from one country to another? Well, I'm talking about Euro Tunnel's Le Shuttle which goes between the UK and France under the English channel. I had the pleasure of crossing the channel with Le shuttle in October and enjoyed the 35 min trip. I had previously crossed the channel to France from the UK but went with my car in a ferry, so that was a different experience. Some of the pics of the return trip from France below have been impacted by motion so not very clear. Let me add that the train also carries fully loaded trailers and containers.

The process from Folkestone in the UK is as follows, you book online and provide your car details, you turn up at the gate before your scheduled departure, your car is automatically recognised by the plates and you are given a paper with an alphabet which indicates the group you belong to which will enter a particular train. You park your car in the waiting area and can go into a building where you can shop or buy forex. There are large electronic boards inside the shopping area and outside. When your alphabet shows up as ready to board, you get into your car and head towards the train in a queue, drive through french immigration where they may or may not check passports and then drive towards the train. When you get into the train, compartments are formed of about 4 cars and then sealed, but the seals have doors where you can walk through. I guess the compartments are to prevent rare occurrences like fire from spreading fast. the train is air-conditioned and the journey takes 35 minutes under the water. You arrive in Calais France and just drive out straight onto the french Autoroute (motorway) and voila! you are in France. On return, its pretty much same process but this time, the UK immigration are in France and carefully scrutinising passports. When train arrives Folkestone, you just drive out onto the Motorway!

2 Likes

Re: Travelling Under The English Channel With A Car In A Train by Tats(m): 12:22pm On Nov 21, 2014
More pics

1 Like

Re: Travelling Under The English Channel With A Car In A Train by Tats(m): 12:24pm On Nov 21, 2014
more pics

Re: Travelling Under The English Channel With A Car In A Train by Tats(m): 12:25pm On Nov 21, 2014
Driving off upon arrival

1 Like

Re: Travelling Under The English Channel With A Car In A Train by Artorius(m): 9:06pm On Nov 21, 2014
wow, that's pretty cool.

1 Like

Re: Travelling Under The English Channel With A Car In A Train by worry359(m): 5:38pm On Nov 22, 2014
Quite normal in civilized countries.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Insane Things That Only Happen In Dubai / Nigerian Woman Landing In The United States In Style (photo) / Pls From Anambra To Delta State Would Cost How Much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.