Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

Am Scared Of Driving - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Am Scared Of Driving (4397 Views)

Please I Need Help On The Cost Of Driving Shaft For 2001 Pathfinder Jeep / Five Technologies That Will Change The Rules Of Driving / Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am Scared Of Driving by jce(f): 5:03pm On Nov 21, 2014
Pls someone should tell me what else to do, I have learnt driving in two different places, even hired someone to teach me privately yet am scared to enter any busy road. The issue is really disturbing me because learning driving will help me alot in running around of day to day activities.
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 21, 2014
Why not try to relax ur mind...nd hav an open mind wen u want to drive....

1 Like

Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 21, 2014
jce:
Pls someone should tell me what else to do, I have learnt driving in two different places, even hired someone to teach me privately yet am scared to enter any busy road. The issue is really disturbing me because learning driving will help me alot in running around of day to day activities.
who owns d car anyways? Is it urs? Or ur husband's?
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by AutosBay(m): 5:13pm On Nov 21, 2014
Driving is a very scary thing, and there's no denying that. It's a fact, especially for new drivers, such as yourself, as you're being thrown into a situation that you're unfamiliar with.

I know you're scared, but I'm going to be blunt -- you're never going to be a good driver until you conquer your fear. It might take you a while to conquer your fear. You might conquer it tomorrow, but if you want to learn how to drive safely, I really recommend getting out there and driving. When you get behind the wheel, it's really important to relax. Breathe. I know you might want to hyperventilate and cry, but you need to stay calm. It's one of the responsibilities of being a good driver -- you need to remain calm in any situation that may be thrown at you.

Sit up straight, and position your chair so that you're sitting up, and can see around you safely, but also make it comfortable. Make sure you're comfortable in the car, which means to adjust your mirrors so that you see the back door handles through the side-view mirrors, and that you have a panoramic view of the road behind you. Check your blind spots, your windshield wipers, your horn, your turn signals, and adjust your wheel to whatever height is good for you. You have to make sure you're comfortable in your car, or else it will be more difficult to concentrate and relax.

Even if you go one block behind the wheel before you have to pull over and switch drivers, that's good. It's a start. Part of learning to drive is taking baby steps. Go at your own pace. Maybe even sitting behind the wheel, adjusting the seat and mirrors like you're going to drive, but not being able to drive might be a good start. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Don't read too much about car accidents involving death or serious injuries, because that will birth this mindset, "What if that happens to me?" This is not a healthy mindset to have. It's good to be cautious about driving, but if you're paranoid, you won't be able to concentrate on the little things, such as turns, and watching for lights and pedestrians.

If you're driving with a licensed driver, LISTEN. I make the mistake in driver's classes of not paying as much attention to my instructor as I should. I missed a turn I was supposed to make, and then pressed on the gas while she had on the brake, so when she released, we shot forward. It's important to listen to whomever is in the front passenger seat. Drive with your mother. She does not want to hurt you, and she does not want to get hurt herself, so she will be cautious, courteous, and she will be able to guide you. If you drive with her, listen.

Again, you're new. It's okay to be nervous, and one of the important things about driving is to not throw yourself into a situation you're uncomfortable with. If you don't want to drive down the block, don't, but maybe sit behind the wheel and adjust the mirrors and seat and wheel like you're going to, as that might help you start taking baby steps to driving further than one block. It's important to remember to go at your own pace, but you'll never be a good driver if you can't conquer your fears.

8 Likes

Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 21, 2014
lol u don't need to be afraid. the more u keep practicing the faster n more confident u will be in driving smiley don't let that fear overcome u, u should overcome the fear dear. be going out with someone for sometime b4 u start driving alone, n don't forget to put ur Learners signsmiley

1 Like

Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 21, 2014
EroticAngelina:
lol u don't need to be afraid. the more u keep practicing the faster n more confident u will be in driving smiley don't let that fear overcome u, u should overcome the fear dear. be going out with someone for sometime b4 u start driving alone, n don't forget to put ur Learners signsmiley
lmao..do u drive?
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 21, 2014
Cutehector4u:
lmao..do u drive?
sometimes : )
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 21, 2014
EroticAngelina:
sometimes : )
lol...manual or automatic
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 21, 2014
Cutehector4u:
lol...manual or automatic
automatic abeg grin tho I know manual..but I'm not so into it. I can drive automatic perfectly on any kinda road, but manual? abeg oo angry its so hard, plus I'm the type of person that don't like wasting time..I don't have the time n strength for gear wahala.
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 21, 2014
EroticAngelina:
automatic abeg grin tho I know manual..but I'm not so into it. I can drive automatic perfectly on any kinda road, but manual? abeg oo angry its so hard, plus I'm the type of person that don't like wasting time..I don't have the time n strength for gear wahala.
so if i buy a manual car as a goft for u , u will reject it abi
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 21, 2014
Cutehector4u:
so if i buy a manual car as a goft for u , u will reject it abi
lol I won't. I will accept n sell it tongue but come in..u buy car for person? lwkmfly ^^ if u buy 100card for me sef, I go give testimony tongue
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 21, 2014
EroticAngelina:
lol I won't. I will accept n sell it tongue but come in..u buy car for person? lwkmfly ^^ if u buy 100card for me sef, I go give testimony tongue
lol..why dont u think i cant buy a car for u...?
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by jce(f): 5:36pm On Nov 21, 2014
Cutehector4u:
who owns d car anyways? Is it urs? Or ur husband's?
is mine
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 21, 2014
jce:
is mine
haba..wats even dr to be afraid of,,, by the way is it automatic?
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 21, 2014
Cutehector4u:
lol..why dont u think i cant buy a car for u...?
lol nothing, just a feeling. at least u won't give me without SOMETHING in return wink lol
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by jce(f): 5:40pm On Nov 21, 2014
AutosBay:
Driving is a very scary thing, and there's no denying that. It's a fact, especially for new drivers, such as yourself, as you're being thrown into a situation that you're unfamiliar with.

I know you're scared, but I'm going to be blunt -- you're never going to be a good driver until you conquer your fear. It might take you a while to conquer your fear. You might conquer it tomorrow, but if you want to learn how to drive safely, I really recommend getting out there and driving. When you get behind the wheel, it's really important to relax. Breathe. I know you might want to hyperventilate and cry, but you need to stay calm. It's one of the responsibilities of being a good driver -- you need to remain calm in any situation that may be thrown at you.

Sit up straight, and position your chair so that you're sitting up, and can see around you safely, but also make it comfortable. Make sure you're comfortable in the car, which means to adjust your mirrors so that you see the back door handles through the side-view mirrors, and that you have a panoramic view of the road behind you. Check your blind spots, your windshield wipers, your horn, your turn signals, and adjust your wheel to whatever height is good for you. You have to make sure you're comfortable in your car, or else it will be more difficult to concentrate and relax.

Even if you go one block behind the wheel before you have to pull over and switch drivers, that's good. It's a start. Part of learning to drive is taking baby steps. Go at your own pace. Maybe even sitting behind the wheel, adjusting the seat and mirrors like you're going to drive, but not being able to drive might be a good start. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Don't read too much about car accidents involving death or serious injuries, because that will birth this mindset, "What if that happens to me?" This is not a healthy mindset to have. It's good to be cautious about driving, but if you're paranoid, you won't be able to concentrate on the little things, such as turns, and watching for lights and pedestrians.

If you're driving with a licensed driver, LISTEN. I make the mistake in driver's classes of not paying as much attention to my instructor as I should. I missed a turn I was supposed to make, and then pressed on the gas while she had on the brake, so when she released, we shot forward. It's important to listen to whomever is in the front passenger seat. Drive with your mother. She does not want to hurt you, and she does not want to get hurt herself, so she will be cautious, courteous, and she will be able to guide you. If you drive with her, listen.

Again, you're new. It's okay to be nervous, and one of the important things about driving is to not throw yourself into a situation you're uncomfortable with. If you don't want to drive down the block, don't, but maybe sit behind the wheel and adjust the mirrors and seat and wheel like you're going to, as that might help you start taking baby steps to driving further than one block. It's important to remember to go at your own pace, but you'll never be a good driver if you can't conquer your fears.
good one thanks
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by liricyst(m): 5:41pm On Nov 21, 2014
Just attach your learner"s sign permanently. grin
It should help to know that people would avoid you..but if na Lagos...em...na few people go give you space. Just go slow and steady for as long as you feel scared and if possible always have someone with you on the passengers side. Keep practicing. Everyday and your confidence will grow slowly.
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:42pm On Nov 21, 2014
EroticAngelina:
lol nothing, just a feeling. at least u won't give me without SOMETHING in return wink lol
looool..now dat brings us to a whole different topic altogether.... Dis is gettn so interestin..... Why do ladies think guys hav an ulterior motiv wen dey buy dem gifts...
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by jce(f): 5:43pm On Nov 21, 2014
Cutehector4u:
haba..wats even dr to be afraid of,,, by the way is it automatic?
yes it is automatic, I can drive in a lonely street but once I see major road fear overwhelms me
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by jce(f): 5:45pm On Nov 21, 2014
liricyst:
Just attach your learner"s sign permanently. grin
It should help to know that people would avoid you..but if na Lagos...em...na few people go give you space. Just go slow and steady for as long as you feel scared and if possible always have someone with you on the passengers side. Keep practicing. Everyday and your confidence will grow slowly.
that is the problem lagos road nawa cry
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 21, 2014
jce:
yes it is automatic, I can drive in a lonely street but once I see major road fear overwhelms me
awww... Like as iv somebody will come frm no whr nd jam u or u would knock down a person ....i get the feeling....
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 21, 2014
Cutehector4u:
looool..now dat brings us to a whole different topic altogether.... Dis is gettn so interestin..... Why do ladies think guys hav an ulterior motiv wen dey buy dem gifts...
lol coz u guys always have an ulterior motive oo grin bye!
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 21, 2014
jce:
is mine
can i be your daily driver, tho am a learner too
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 7:36pm On Nov 21, 2014
EroticAngelina:
lol nothing, just a feeling. at least u won't give me without SOME THING in return wink lol
this one you are using THING and winks smiley at the same time remember here is CarTalk Section... that is a forum for driving not riding.
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 21, 2014
jce:
which car are you even using for this, cox we might be advising you, not knowing that it is actually an automatic Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 iForce that we are talking about.
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 21, 2014
EroticAngelina:
i have a hummer 2 come and show me how you drive perfectly Lekki-Epe express way is kinda free on Sunday morning.
NOTE i will use a 99 Toyota Avensis Manual gear for the challenge.
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:33am On Nov 22, 2014
angryLomomike spoilt all the fun
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 6:05am On Nov 22, 2014
EroticAngelina and Cutehector4u this isn't Romance or family section where you guys can make out. This is cartalk where we get down to our business, hobby, lifestyle etc we talk strictly cars here. So if you're here to stay do the needful or you'll be kicked out by a moderator for derailing topics.

@ Bossforeva, abeg no dey ask people about the cars they drive. Most people won't find it funny especially folks who aren't conversant with this section and don't know you via your online chat lifestyle.
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 6:45am On Nov 22, 2014
jce:
Madam leave your heart in your bag just for one day and take the car out, bearing in mind the worst that can happen is death.
May sound harsh though but I started driving as a minor without vehicle papers or a license. I jejely hang learner, make nobody disturb me.
Be bold and try it once, alone, not with anybody guiding you.
Re: Am Scared Of Driving by Nobody: 7:34am On Nov 22, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
smileyLomomike spoilt starts all the fun

Fixed! wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bmw 325i(2002) Vs Mercedes Benz C320(2002) / Advice On Volvo S60 / Rav4 Transmission Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.