Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily (6559 Views)

The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! / LOCK Your Spouse UP! A Cure For Domestically-Violent Partners!!! / Boy-child or Girl-child, does it matter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by kandiikane(m): 1:45am On Nov 22, 2014
coogar:
i am not training any of my sons to be in the kitchen. they can mow the lawns, do heavy lifting and tasks normally associated with men but asking them to cook or do dishes is just totally out of the question.
Unless you have changed your mind to be a househusband then that part of the training will be left to your housewife. Just make sure you get someone who doesn't believe in their male child fending for themselves.
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by coogar: 1:47am On Nov 22, 2014
kandiikane:

Unless you have changed your mind to be a househusband then that part of the training will be left to your housewife. Just make sure you get someone who doesn't believe in their male child fending for themselves.

i won't let any wife domesticate or emasculate my sons. they should be out there riding bikes, learning how to swim, play football with their mates or playing cops & robbers. that is what shapes men into what they are - not the amount of dishes they can do!
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by cococandy(f): 1:52am On Nov 22, 2014
coogar:

hahahaha
i like how you twisted this - so in which circumstance would you see a woman lifting heavy objects that can snap her spine into two while the hubby is in the kitchen slicing tomatoes?

not many cases. But not impossible. We have a family close to us where the husband is the main cook of the house simply because he does it better than the wife. And yes he's the main breadwinner too because momma patti surely makes peanuts compared to what he does

women aren't secondary beings
i don't think that's what he's saying - he only said some roles aren't perfectly interchangeable. men should stick to being men and women should stick to their traditional roles in the home. it's what it is - i don't intend to compete with my wife in the kitchen.

the thing is teaching boys how to be domesticated and girls to be ( erm, what? I don't know ) won't make any gender less of what they are. Even some roles aren't perfectly interchangeable, emphasis on perfectly,it doesn't hurt for one to try as much as possible to be as versed in them as they can. Times have changed,so the measure of womanhood has moved from how well a woman can cook.
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by cococandy(f): 1:54am On Nov 22, 2014
coogar:

. they should be out there riding bikes, learning how to swim, play football with their mates or playing cops & robbers. that is what shapes men into what they are - not the amount of dishes they can do!
girls should learn that too. Whether football or any sport of their choice. It is not good to encourage "eat, lie down in the house and get fat in women "
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by Nobody: 2:01am On Nov 22, 2014
I don't know how long it's going to take for me to get numb to threads like these on NL.

Come to think of it, majority of the posters here are in their late 30s, early 40s, and late 40s. If I hear this gibberish from someone that age in real life, I am sure I will turn a deaf ear and move on. At that age, there is no changing their mentality.

We just need to educate the younger children, those poor souls need to know they have a choice. Imagine a father restricting his female child to cooking and dish washing; personality or individuality is thrown out the window! To her own father, she is the society's definition of a female before she's a human being.

7 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by kandiikane(m): 2:01am On Nov 22, 2014
coogar:

i won't let any wife domesticate or emasculate my sons. they should be out there riding bikes, learning how to swim, play football with their mates or playing cops & robbers. that is what shapes men into what they are - not the amount of dishes they can do!

That's just sad especially this day and age. How does learning to cook or clean your house etc emasculate a man? That man must live a very dirty life because It's not easy for a chick to come clean your house even those who have been prepared to be housewives from birth. They were made for the husbands not any other man. No, being able to fend for yourself in all aspects and not having to always rely on a woman is what makes a man. It just shows that majority of men are nothing but pittance without women yet all they do is talk through their azz.

7 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by coogar: 2:01am On Nov 22, 2014
cococandy:
girls should learn that too. Whether football or any sport of their choice. It is not good to encourage "eat, lie down in the house and get fat in women "

see me thinking the girls do more in the kitchen - absorbing the heat from the boiling pepper and oozing out sweats in their pores. how can they get fat in that circumstance?

kandiikane:

That's just sad especially this day and age. How does learning to cook or clean your house etc emasculate a man?

what's the worst possible scenario that will happen to a man that cannot cook? will he starve to death? will his marriage proposal to his woman be refused based on the fact that he cannot cook? come on - cooking adds nothing or removes nothing from men

the best chinese food in my area is just about £5 - singapore fried rice with shrimps(yummy). you eat, you dispose the pack and there's no soaking of pots or scrubbing burnt amala.

That man must live a very dirty life because It's not easy for a chick to come clean your house even those who have been prepared to be housewives from birth. They were made for the husbands not any other man.

says who?
women love to care or be the nurturer. maybe you see this as a chore or punishment - some women genuinely love to cook & ask how delicious the meal is. i get offers every time to be cooked for. it must be because of my pink lips. grin

No, being able to fend for yourself in all aspects and not having to always rely on a woman is what makes a man. It just shows that majority of men are nothing but pittance without women yet all they do is talk through their azz.

i don't rely on women....
i rely on my wallet. i am very finicky about food first & foremost. i don't eat 70% of the standard naija food - i am used to eating out. the persistent smell of food in the house kills my appetite sef......so i would rather eat out than rely on any woman to cook for me.

4 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by cococandy(f): 2:04am On Nov 22, 2014
coogar:

see me thinking the girls do more in the kitchen - absorbing the heat from the boiling pepper and oozing out sweats in their pores. how can they get fat in that circumstance?
you're incorrigible smiley
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by coogar: 2:15am On Nov 22, 2014
cococandy:
you're incorrigible smiley

i never change - too stuck in my ways.

the mission is to get my boys out there & learn survival skills.......after that, they can go after kandiikane's daughters in full force. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by crackhaus: 2:15am On Nov 22, 2014
Men and boys who don't know how to cook are not dying of starvation and hunger, these topics of being domesticated or not are totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

When hunger beckons, even those that can't boil water know what to do...period!

7 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by coogar: 2:18am On Nov 22, 2014
crackhaus:
Men who don't know how to cook are not dying of starvation and hunger, these topics of men being domesticated or not are totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

When hunger beckons, even those that can't boil water know what to do...period!

thank you.....
when hunger beckons, men aren't so tight-fisted like women to pay for what they are not good at. i'm yet to hear of a man that died of starvation simply because he cannot cook for himself.

letting boys cook is a waste of time.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by kandiikane(m): 2:22am On Nov 22, 2014
coogar:

what's the worst possible scenario that will happen to a man that cannot cook? will he starve to death? will his marriage proposal to his woman be refused based on the fact that he cannot cook? come on - cooking adds nothing or removes nothing from men

the best chinese food in my area is just about £5 - singapore fried rice with shrimps(yummy). you eat, you dispose the pack and there's no soaking of pots or scrubbing burnt amala.

says who?
women love to care or be the nurturer. maybe you see this as a chore or punishment - some women genuinely love to cook & ask how delicious the meal is. i get offers every time to be cooked for. it must be because of my pink lips. grin

i don't rely on women....
i rely on my wallet. i am very finicky about food first & foremost. i don't 70% of the standard naija food - i am used to eating out. the persistent smell of food in the house kills my appetite sef......so i would rather eat out than rely on any woman to cook for me.

Yes some women love to cook and some love to fix stuff around the house, does the latter make them men or any less of woman? Many chefs are men and are very passionate about what they do,, many launderers are male, are they any less of a man because of what they do?
And I ask you, what is the worst possible scenario for a man who can cook because I can't think of any but I can give a list of the best.

5 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by crackhaus: 2:25am On Nov 22, 2014
coogar:

thank you.....
when hunger beckons, men aren't so tight-fisted like women to pay for what they are not good at. i'm yet to hear of a man that died of starvation simply because he cannot cook for himself.

letting boys cook is a waste of time.
I'm yet to hear of it too.

Last time I checked, women in reality take it as a thing of joy and pride to cook a fine meal for their man morning, noon, and night...and watch him devour their culinary greatness with delight and satisfaction.

I don't know what's wrong with these chics on the internet.

5 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by kandiikane(m): 2:25am On Nov 22, 2014
coogar:

i never change - too stuck in my ways.

the mission is to get my boys out there & learn survival skills.......after that, they can go after kandiikane's daughters in full force. cheesy
no, no, no, my daughters will have the ability to smell pretenders from miles away.
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by kandiikane(m): 2:27am On Nov 22, 2014
crackhaus:

I'm yet to hear of it too.

Last time I checked, women in reality take it as a thing of joy and pride to cook a fine meal for their man morning, noon, and night...and watch him devour their culinary greatness with delight and satisfaction.

I don't know what's wrong with these chics on the internet.
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by crackhaus: 2:30am On Nov 22, 2014
kandiikane:

Fine girl, hawayu?

My offer is still on the table...
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by MMotimo: 2:34am On Nov 22, 2014
With regards to cooking - anybody can learn to cook if their situation demands it, it really isn't rocket science. I think a cleaning man is worth a lot more than a cooking man. Same goes for women
Men that really love food [/b]generally learn how to cook [b]even if they are not forced to. The ones that will learn without being forced at home and with a normal interest in food, will probably not embrace the skill unless forced to, unless their pockets are affected by eating out.
A woman that likes men cooks should marry one and a woman that does not should not make it a priority in choosing a mate.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by kandiikane(m): 2:38am On Nov 22, 2014
crackhaus:

Fine girl, hawayu?

My offer is still on the table...
lol you have been watching too many nollywood movies. If she is staring at you like that whilst eating her food, there is a high chance that food is poisoned.

I will go over your offer when I am 50 with 8 kids. Your son will probably be the one get my answer.
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by crackhaus: 3:10am On Nov 22, 2014
kandiikane:

lol you have been watching too many nollywood movies. If she is staring at you like that whilst eating her food, there is a high chance that food is poisoned.

I will go over your offer when I am 50 with 8 kids. Your son will probably be the one get my answer.
She's staring at me because she poisoned the food, and I'm the one who's been watching too many Nollywood movies? Buahahahaha... grin

Well if by some miracle you still look as good as you do now at 50 and after 8kids, I may still have the offer on the table..
Can you cook a good meal, I mean like really good - fingerlicking good? undecided

1 Like

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by DesChyko: 5:39am On Nov 22, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I replied that what you call African culture today is what "Western culture" was some 50-100 years ago.
Please tell me, how traditional gender roles are unique of "the African culture"?

Sorry, I missed that first part.

The question you asked certainly isn't a two-line question.
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by UjSizzle(f): 7:27am On Nov 22, 2014
Nothing wrong with giving your kids a balanced training. You teach your girls to be self dependent/independent enough that in the absence of a man they can survive; then teach your boys to handle things on the home front, so when/if things get bad they're not completely helpless.

It does not undermine their masculinity and his sense of importance. I daresay he'll be grateful you bothered to teach him tomorrow.

And err OP, we don't live in the 13th century. It's important you kept abreast with hoe fast our world is changing, not necessarily with respect to feminism, but how difficult it is to keep a home together ie. divorce and economic/political environment.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by beeevan: 7:36am On Nov 22, 2014
As long as you are in my house,you Must do chores( all chores) , reserve your manhood for who gives a heck undecided.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by DesChyko: 7:41am On Nov 22, 2014
UjSizzle:
.. we don't live in the 13th century...

So the world says but reality paints a different picture in our home country; much more similar to the world we 'verbally' left behind.

In the face of factual disposition, only a person who keeps 'wishes' and 'desires' out of his today's meaningful existence can be fit to face the nearest tomorrow.

I hear something different from people. I read something different from articles. And still, my relationship and experiences with elderly men and women sing the same old song.

Nah. I'll only commit these 'verbal' developments to memory but live today as it really is.
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by DesChyko: 7:44am On Nov 22, 2014
beeevan:
As long as you are in my house,you Must do chores( all chores) , reserve your manhood for who gives a heck undecided.

Have you ever heard this quotes "Be a man"? If certainly, you understand the origin and interpretations of that quote in all ramifications, I'm afraid, you certainly give two hecks about 'manhood'.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by beeevan: 7:51am On Nov 22, 2014
DesChyko:

Have you ever heard this quotes "Be a man"? If certainly, you understand the origin and interpretations of that quote in all ramifications, I'm afraid, you certainly give two hecks about 'manhood'.

I don't care, my sons MUST cook or starve, their choice, before 14 they must have learnt all there is to learn about cooking for the house hold. They must scrub and clean with speed and accuracy, won't do this for long cool.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by UjSizzle(f): 8:00am On Nov 22, 2014
DesChyko:

So the world says but reality paints a different picture in our home country; much more similar to the world we 'verbally' left behind.

In the face of factual disposition, only a person who keeps 'wishes' and 'desires' out of his today's meaningful existence can be fit to face the nearest tomorrow.

I hear something different from people. I read something different from articles. And still, my relationship and experiences with elderly men and women sing the same old song.

Nah. I'll only commit these 'verbal' developments to memory but live today as it really is.
Let me tell you a story about my reality.

When my eldest brother was 10 (which put me at about 7), our parents got divorced.
There was one man struggling with 4 children. Do you know what out saving grace was? He knew his way around the house. For a while he cooked, took us to school, showered us...he literally dis everything his wife should be doing.
And he we as able to do that because despite having grown in a deeply patriarchal society(his brother is a testament to that), my dad fancies he has the spirit (reincarnated) of a woman. So he watched the women in his life and he learnt to handle domestic stuff normally attributed to the feminine gender. Just long enough till he could find someone (a help) to handle that, while he faced his more manly role of being the benefactor.

Now if you go back to the post you so smartly ignored, you'll see what I meant by taking into cognizance the factors at work in the 21st century ergo divorce rate and economic/political situations, and see why there is need to make adjustments in the manner our boys are trained.

We are suppose to work at equipping people to be their best possible selves at every point in their lives, and as self reliant as possible.

No one has asked you to make the primary responsibility of a man domestic work, sheesh then whose job will it be to provide a safety net for the woman and her children
But just like you teach women to recognise economical viable opportunities and taking advantage of them, we also need to teach men navigate their way round a home with ease.

It's not a gender war, it's survival.

13 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 22, 2014
coogar:

. it must be because of my pink lips. grin

What the hell mahn grin grin
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by crackhaus: 10:20am On Nov 22, 2014
UjSizzle:

Let me tell you a story about my reality.

When my eldest brother was 10 (which put me at about 7), our parents got divorced.
There was one man struggling with 4 children. Do you know what out saving grace was? He knew his way around the house. For a while he cooked, took us to school, showered us...he literally dis everything his wife should be doing.
And he we as able to do that because despite having grown in a deeply patriarchal society(his brother is a testament to that), my dad fancies he has the spirit (reincarnated) of a woman. So he watched the women in his life and he learnt to handle domestic stuff normally attributed to the feminine gender. Just long enough till he could find someone (a help) to handle that, while he faced his more manly role of being the benefactor.

Now if you go back to the post you so smartly ignored, you'll see what I meant by taking into cognizance the factors at work in the 21st century ergo divorce rate and economic/political situations, and see why there is need to make adjustments in the manner our boys are trained.

We are suppose to work at equipping people to be their best possible selves at every point in their lives, and as self reliant as possible.

No one has asked you to make the primary responsibility of a man domestic work, sheesh then whose job will it be to provide a safety net for the woman and her children
But just like you teach women to recognise economical viable opportunities and taking advantage of them, we also need to teach men navigate their way round a home with ease.

It's not a gender war, it's survival.
I like this.

You should also realize that we are not saying a man should not/never be domestically inclined - heck, everyone needs the necessary skills to take care of his/her immediate environment as well as himself/herself.

It's when women make it seem compulsory that a boy-child must sit alongside his sister(s) in the kitchen to learn stuff, this is where I see it as overkill and not necessary.
Nobody taught me to cook, my mom didn't for one day order me to come stay in the kitchen with her - myself and my brothers would stay as far away from the kitchen as possible.

But when situations came where my mother as a medical professional would be working and not able to take care of the home-front (she totally disliked having maids), we had to improvise - and all of a sudden, each of us gradually picked up cooking/cleaning skills.
This is the same thing for single guys who move out, but never once did/did very little cooking - they still eat and survive.

4 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 22, 2014
Going by the answers here, it is not necessary to train the girl child to do the cooking and house chores either.

She will find her way later when mummy and daddy are not around and she has to.

Very simple.

4 Likes

Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by DesChyko: 10:45am On Nov 22, 2014
crackhaus:

..It's when women make it seem compulsory that a boy-child must sit alongside his sister(s) in the kitchen to learn stuff, this is where I see it as overkill and not necessary...

Ahaa.. The exact line I was looking to represent without contradicting myself.
I included 'primarily' there because while it is normal to see bachelors patronize eatries, it is obscence to happen upon women who have no influence on their kitchens and environments in the orthodox African family.
The lessons are crucial for a woman-to-be, but quite excusable for the boy-child.
This is the reality.
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 22, 2014
DesChyko:

Ahaa.. The exact line I was looking to represent without contradicting myself.
I included 'primarily' there because while it is normal to see bachelors patronize eatries, it is obscence to happen upon women who have no influence on their kitchens and environments in the orthodox African environs.
The lessons are crucial for a woman-to-be, but quite excusable for the boy-child.
This is the reality.

Because?
Re: Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily by DesChyko: 10:51am On Nov 22, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Because?

I'ld have to post the "Opinion" here again. That is the reason.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Wish I Didn't Meet Her Through Hookup. / Shocking: See What A Smart Baby Did When He Fell Into A Swimming Pool. / Pls Help My Husband Is Addicted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.