Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,260 members, 7,780,573 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:44 PM

"0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network (18139 Views)

How To Register Special Numbers On MTN Super Saver!! / How To Share Mb On Mtn Nigeria / MTN Nigeria GPRS [Includes Configuration Settings] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by Seun(m): 5:55pm On May 10, 2005
According to a first-hand report by the Technology Times, MTN Nigeria (the popular GSM Network company) is planning to start issuing phone lines with the 0806 prefix (I.e. +234806) sometime this month.

Apparently, they have (almost) sold out their 0803 sim packs, and they want to keep up their growth to maintain their status as the most popular GSM network in Nigeria (in fact, they are the most popular phone network!)

The Original Report

I wonder if they are missing a marketing opportunity by introducing the 0806 lines only after running out of 0803 numbers. They could have chosen to start selling the[b] 0806[/b] numbers from the beginning of the year to post-paid customers only!
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by mamba(m): 11:09pm On May 10, 2005
wait a sec, there's 0803*******

That's 8 digits, from my calculation it means they have exhausted 10 million lines.
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by Angelgirl(f): 8:51am On May 11, 2005
Couldn't it have been better if they just added another '0' to the new list making it a 12 digit number instead of 11, '0806' sounds like another network entirely. For now i think should take care of the '0803' subscribers first, like providing value added services and stabilizing their networks befor creating new lines.
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by Allenpowered(m): 11:46am On May 11, 2005
It's crazy, these guys must have made a hell of money from Nigerians. I hope they are contributing back to the society.

Thanks, mamba, for the math!
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by Seun(m): 12:10pm On May 11, 2005
MTN Nigeria does not have 10 million subscribers, so it is either:[list][li]For some reason, they have decided not to use all the numbers in the 0803 range, or[/li][li]They have a special plan for the 0806 prefix and are going to be providing phone lines having both prefixes[/li][/list]We will definitely be hearing more from MTN in the next few weeks.
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by Allenpowered(m): 3:06pm On May 11, 2005
Mr. administrator, I guess what is happening is that they have probably rolled out enough lines to about cover the 10 million mark.

MTN has about 3 million subscribers, the largest in Nigeria.
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by exago(m): 3:29pm On May 11, 2005
What' it with MTN, they have not learnt the ART of keeping the first wife, they want to get a new one!

Nigerians are not satisfied with their level of service, and they are extending the 'M' {Madness} to 0806! + 0803!= double Wahala 4 ........

[move]NB: MTN never got their math right, no way they have 10 million subscribers on their network. If they did then I shouldn't be on Vmobile.[/move]
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by Nobody: 10:24pm On May 11, 2005
Well I don't like the 0806 idea at all. If there's one thing I like it's simplicity. why go to 0806 when there are numbers like 0803?

Whatever, still unavailable. They should go and improve their service first. I go dey Glo dey go abeg!!!
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by okoegwale: 2:19pm On May 12, 2005
I will not know why MTN will want to migrate to 0806 prefix. MTN is yet to reach a 10 million subscribers but sure they might have their own numbering plans. They are keeping it close to their chest.

Did you guys witness the protest at NTA, Victoria Island yesterday against MTN? (ed: discuss here)

Emmanuel.o
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by Angelgirl(f): 10:37am On May 13, 2005
@Okoegwale, what was the protest all about?

{editor: Please, I beg you, click here to continue the discussion on the Protest}.
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by dominobaby(f): 12:07pm On May 19, 2005
@Mamba Mathematically, they should have 10 million lines, but it is not so.

I learnt that NCC gives out a numbering plan, and so when these providers have exhausted those numbers, they can apply for approval of another set of numbers.
So then they are approximately to have 5 million line exhausted minus one cos we've got one mtn sim card lying at home. tongue
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by Seun(m): 2:22pm On May 20, 2005
"As part of its commitment to making telephone services accessible to more Nigerians, MTN Nigeria has expanded its network capacity to include a new numbering range with the prefix 0806. With this development, MTN becomes the first and only GSM network in Nigeria with an additional numbering system, having exhausted its initial subscriber numbering range – 0803. The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has duly approved the new subscriber numbering system. " (Thisday Online)
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by tayotina(f): 2:54pm On May 20, 2005
Anyway has anyone here received any text from MTN informing customers about 0806 lines?
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by Allenpowered(m): 9:12am On May 23, 2005
yeah at last, MTN has sent out the texts officially and the adverts have been placed on newsprints. U can actually buy the new lines for N680
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by blackweaver(m): 4:40pm On May 24, 2005
seun:

MTN Nigeria does [I]not[/I] have 10 million subscribers, so it is either:[list][li]For some reason, they have decided not to use all the numbers in the 0803 range, or[/li][li]They have a special plan for the 0806 prefix and are going to be providing phone lines having both prefixes[/li][/list]We will definitely be hearing more from MTN in the next few weeks.
personally i have no problem with the idea but like Seun said, i guess they have some reserved lines, for instance we all know that mtn staff use 0803200****, perhaps they have some reserved lines for other major clients; however i don't understand why anyone will take them to task over the issue after all even calling within the network u still type the whole 11 numbers; if they think it's necessary, leave them alone
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by dominobaby(f): 12:10pm On May 26, 2005
Radio ads are out now for the 0806!
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by delarontus(f): 5:14pm On May 26, 2005
MTN is now offering a kind of service for corporate users like PABx where a company can actually have its own numbering plan by using mobile phones. In other words, a company can subscribe for a thousand lines or more for its staff as service lines. I guess that's why they requested for a new range to target corporate consumers. Good marketing strategy i'd say.
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by Angelgirl(f): 8:44am On May 27, 2005
Allenpowered:

yeah at last, MTN has sent out the texts officially and the adverts have been placed on newsprints. U can actually buy the new lines for N680

Is free N500 recharge card included in this new sim pack for the above cost?
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by Allenpowered(m): 12:17pm On May 27, 2005
I don't know if the N500 free recharge is part of it...I'll find out, but I presume it is.

Yeah a lot of companies have numbering plans,most oil companies and other multinationals have reserved line for their staff.
Re: "0806" Phone Numbers on MTN Nigeria Network by BossTtdiamonds(m): 3:41am On Nov 11, 2008
I think. . Tis' is nice. . . I kindA saw it in da future. .

*singin'* . . DRY BONES SHALL RISE AGAIN . . BLa bla bla

(1) (Reply)

Differences Between A Factory, World Wide, And Chip Unlock Iphone? / Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x Review And Thread / MTN: Unlimited Download Doesnt Work Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.