Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,497 members, 7,808,843 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash (59565 Views)

The Man Who Caused A Scare At The Lagos Airport Today Pictured / See What Was Seen At The Lagos Airport Today (photos) / Emirates Plane Collides With Hak-air Plane During Take-off At Lagos Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by r231(m): 12:11am On Nov 23, 2014
Business activities were brought to a halt at the cargo section of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos on Wednesday following a clash between officials of the Nigeria Customs Service and clearing agents over alleged manhandling of a senior customs officer.

Two people were injured in the fracas as people scampered for safety after sporadic gunshots were reportedly heard at the Nigerian Aviation Handling Company.

A visit by our correspondent showed that riot police were stationed in the area with an Amoured Personnel Carrier. About eight custom patrol pickups were also drafted to the scene of the incident.

There was also intermittent shooting of tear gas by the NCS men.

Findings revealed that trouble began when the Customs Area Comptroller, Mr. Taju Olarewaju, attempted to enter NAHCO warehouse as part of measures to implement some reforms that would make the clearing of goods seamless.

Olarewaju, who resumed duties at the MMA a few months ago, was prevented from gaining entry despite introducing himself as the CAC.

One of the agents was said to have pushed him, a situation that reportedly infuriated other customs agents.

Attempts by other customs officials to prevent the CAC from being assaulted, it was gathered, led to the fracas.

Agents were driven out of their offices allegedly by customs officials, who allegedly reinforced from the Federal Operations Unit, while some were trapped in their offices, as they could not flee from the scene of the incident.

The President of the Association of Foreign Airlines’ Representatives in Nigeria, Mr. Kingsley Nwokoma, who confirmed the development to our correspondent, said some agents were disgruntled by some of the changes the CAC had been trying to introduce to the airport.

He said, “We learnt that the CAC was manhandled and his car was also vandalised in the process by agents who have not been comfortable with the tight measures he introduced at the warehouse to reduce the issues of underhand dealings and shortcuts there.

“As a result, air force police and soldiers had to be drafted to the area to forestall further breakdown of law and order.”

An agent, Mr. Yemi Adegbusi, said that the CAC tried to gain entry into the warehouse during their break time, which was again the agent’s rule.

He said that the customs started beating up everyone, including women, at the cargo terminal complex.

When contacted, the Public Relations Officer, Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents, Mr. Emmanuel Njoku, refused to comment on the issue.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/pandemonium-at-lagos-airport-as-customs-agents-clash/

2 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by ignis: 2:39am On Nov 23, 2014
Only in Nigeria.
Our Uniform men, fighting one another since 1914.
Even our so called lawmakers have followed suit.

What else do you want me to say?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by chamboy(m): 2:39am On Nov 23, 2014
Customs wanna Increase Duty abi... Nigeria duty always raising ni sha

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by infantrydoctor(m): 2:40am On Nov 23, 2014
Hmmmmm..
How funny it is that we complain of curruption everyday by our leaders but we our selves hate changes that will affect our own currupt practices. I have always said it that our leaders are also a fraction and a reflection of the general public. When a school principal always ensures that there is no exam malpractices in his school we term him wicked. Few students enroll for WAEC/NECO etc in such schools. When we have any oppotunity to manage any govt facility, we dont care about their maintenance, some ppl will even loot them away. A lecturer who takes his lecture very seriously and also ensures that only hardworking students get good marks is also termed wicked. My point....we should all encourage positive changes anywhere we are as everybody(not only the govt) has his or her own part in the development of our nation.

146 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by valdes00(m): 2:42am On Nov 23, 2014
Dem go ever lie against each other... Only God knws who is sayin d truth... If dem lik mak dem kill their selves, nothing concern me... My own concern nw na abt RONKA wey tell me say she neva see her period... *thinkin*

8 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by timmyboy5050(m): 2:43am On Nov 23, 2014
undecided
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by hero31x(m): 2:44am On Nov 23, 2014
Hmmmm, when I wake, I will comment! But points noted
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Ilekeh(f): 2:47am On Nov 23, 2014
I have never met a group of useless uniform-wearing officers till I landed in that airport.

No one does what they're being paid to do. Everybody dey do "aunty, give me something (money) na".

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by adrainuche(m): 2:49am On Nov 23, 2014
Nigeria A failed Nation.. if Nigeria was to be graded with a Cgpa we all know the result, Education to politics all D-, even the Football national team cry, The people I worry about the most is the gallant men and women in the Nigeria Army, is Nigeria really worth die-ing for?

7 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by kobikwelu(m): 2:51am On Nov 23, 2014
pisshures or ........... grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 2:53am On Nov 23, 2014
All is not well with Nigeria ATM: violence everywhere. These days, the average Nigerian is a ticking timebomb ...tick-tock tick-tock. Do not push my buttons!!! Oh, sorry...forgot I wasn't average. You can push them - if you're cute.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by wiringdpt(m): 2:53am On Nov 23, 2014
Iranu post
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Kingslaw(m): 2:54am On Nov 23, 2014
Ok.now its custom fight!
Police fought Tam... The other day.
Some of Our Army men are still fighting boko haram.
Abeg Nigerians no wan fight come 2015 election o!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Teenaba(f): 2:58am On Nov 23, 2014
Ilekeh:
I have never met a group of useless uniform-wearing officers till I landed in that airport.

No one does what they're being paid to do. Everybody dey do "aunty, give me something (money) na".
It is truly pathetic and irritating. They demand like it is their birth right.

10 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by omega2128(m): 3:03am On Nov 23, 2014
fracas, lawlessness, civil disobedience, kill them attitude, harassment, stealing, fighting, desperation, corruption, violence everywhere
WHERE IS THE LOVE? PEACE? TOLERANCE? HARMONY?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 3:04am On Nov 23, 2014
Too late to complain now.. 60 years of waste at a time the world has made soo much progress. Nigeria Luke the rest of Black Africa continues south. Too late to complain we will eat the bread of sorrow and drink the wine of despair

5 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by ayukdaboss(m): 3:07am On Nov 23, 2014
Insanity and irresponsibility everywhere in Nigeria these days. Nigeria must be better again.
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by timmilehin(m): 3:11am On Nov 23, 2014
what happened?
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Icon4s(m): 3:13am On Nov 23, 2014
Na wa. Thugs every where. U need to b a thug to survive in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by johnstar(m): 3:13am On Nov 23, 2014
shyt happens

on my way 2 d toilet to shyt. brb......

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by excellentmomma(f): 3:15am On Nov 23, 2014
"Backwarding and forwarding" lolz! Since ages dem no dey like interruptions. And the customs pple too sha, dia kickbacks increases the cost of things in the market. A situation where their bribe alone increases total duty paid. What would the importer do, of course build in the cost. Unfortunately we import even tookpicks.

4 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by PrinceVecllin(m): 3:20am On Nov 23, 2014
Oga oo
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by j4sure(m): 3:22am On Nov 23, 2014
Money palava. hope no life was lost sha.

HAPI SUNDAY TO YOU ALL
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by asodeboyede(m): 3:23am On Nov 23, 2014
Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having these seal, The Lord knoweth them that are His. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some unto honour, and some unto dishonour.

If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and preserved unto every good work.

Flee also youthful lusts: but follow after righteousness, faith, charity, peace........

6 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by gbodimowo(m): 3:26am On Nov 23, 2014
OK
Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by 1stola: 3:35am On Nov 23, 2014
ok

3 Likes

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 3:37am On Nov 23, 2014
How did we get here

1 Like

Re: Pandemonium At Lagos Airport As Customs, Agents Clash by Nobody: 3:38am On Nov 23, 2014
asodeboyede:
All is well....

Is it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Tell Us The Best Places To Live In Nigeria And Why / 12 Beautiful Resorts In Nigeria Where You Can Enjoy Your Honeymoon / Tanker Carrying Petrol Explodes With Driver Trapped inside In Ebonyi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.