Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:17 PM

Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? (40228 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / What Conditions Should Warrant A D.N.A Test. / My 63-year-old Wife Starves Me Of Sex, Divorce-seeking Septuagenarian Tells Cour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Busybody2(f): 11:08am On Nov 23, 2014
boolet:
A divorce is permitted on confirmed grounds of adultery; although separation - living apart - is acceptable is the case of domestic abuse.

Separation is only allowed for limited period such as for fasting.

Exactly Honeric01
This is why the Bible States it is better to be unmarried so one can make Heaven. We are to work our own salvation with trembling. Or what is the point of you being a Holy Christian and you make Heaven and your wife and children end up in hell? "Esin iya o gba omo la" as the saying goes.

So before one mistakenly wander into that journey of no return called marriage, one need to do their homework well and shine one's eyes. But when people like TV01 tries to tell them this, hmmm...whereas LONGSUFERRING is one of the gifts in the Bible.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by honeric01(m): 11:09am On Nov 23, 2014
AreaFada2:
.. Yes ke, born again, conceived or premature again, that we will only know on judgement day.

Many are called, few are chosen. The way that leads to life/paradise is rough and only few are finding it.

Make we nor dey deceive ourselves.

I believe some Christians that use the word "born again' use this to try to feel superior to other Christians, a christian is a christian, live understanding the spirit of Jesus and you won't have any reason to try to prove to people how "christian" you are.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Cholls(m): 11:09am On Nov 23, 2014
simplemach:
Ok, lemme give u the condition as stated out by a Rev. Father in a wedding i once attended in kaduna.
The Rev. Father said, yes, u can divorce but with this condition. That u will gather thesame exact crowd that witnessed the wedding (nobody should be absent) seated before thesame priest who joined the couple. Then the divorce procedures can commence.
my brother so there is a way out I will inform my friend that is going through hell in is marriage that I found a way. After all we were only six people that witnessed there wedding grin
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by honeric01(m): 11:11am On Nov 23, 2014
Busybody2:

Separation is only allowed for limited period such as for fasting.

Exactly Honeric01
This is why the Bible States it is better to be unmarried so one can make Heaven. We are to work our own salvation with trembling. Or what is the point of you being a Holy Christian and you make Heaven and your wife and children end up in hell? "Esin iya o gba omo la" as the saying goes.

So before one mistakenly wander into that journey of no return called marriage, one need to do their homework well and shine one's eyes. But when people try to tell them this, hmmm.

Nice ma'am, nice..

[size=2pt]BTW, you're missing from whatsapp/BBM/FB, what is wrong? sad[/size]
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by lonelydora: 11:11am On Nov 23, 2014
Marriage is like a load on your head which you drop anytime you are tired. May God never allow me to get tired IJN. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by bloosom(f): 11:11am On Nov 23, 2014
Physical Violence...
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by searay(m): 11:11am On Nov 23, 2014
Under no condition
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Kobeje(m): 11:13am On Nov 23, 2014
It is clear from he scriptures that the reason allowed for divorce is UNFAITHFULNESS. Othewise God says 'i hate divorce'. So, most, if not all, reasons advanced for divorce these days are differences that can be resolved, for serious minded people. In any case, marriage is meant for serious minded people, because it calls for serious sacrifices. Most of the reasons we have these days are baseless and irresponsible.

Let me add that it is not a must to divorce even for adultery, its your choice. Clearly from the scripture quoted by many on this thread, its because of THE HARDNESS OF YOUR HEART.

It is clear to me also that God never expects a man to beat a woman, so i havent found any scripture that addresses violence in the home. So, though i dont suppprt divorce, but if a relationship is life threatening, i will support divorce as the VERY LAST option, if the beast of a man is not changing. Its a person who is alive that achieve anything at all.

The more problem in this regard is the fact that the world is gradually moving towards irrsesponsibility, someone not being responsible to another (or group) who can call him to order, not just the government. I believe this is important to curb domestic violence, because i will support divorce in life threatening situations, as the very last option if the beast (male of female) doesnt change.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by honeric01(m): 11:13am On Nov 23, 2014
freecocoa:
And people don't change e kwa? What happens when that christian brother/sister changes to a monster?

Nope, he or she didn't change, rather he or she only manifested what he or she has been from the word go.

our actions are the physical manifestation of our inner being. what we are in the spirit is what we manifest in the physical.

You can spot people's mindset just from communicating with them.. their utterance, their views on general issues and experiences, the act and all that. no one changes overnight, part of the "hidden" them can be spotted if you're careful enough.

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by spenpe: 11:16am On Nov 23, 2014
NIV)Matthew 19:7-9
“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?” [8] Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. [9] I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by OLEBRUKU(m): 11:19am On Nov 23, 2014
Extreme conditions!
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by spenpe: 11:22am On Nov 23, 2014
/color]Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Kay17: 11:23am On Nov 23, 2014
People have forgotten that marriage is a means to an end - happiness. But since they have forgotten the usefulness of marriage, they marry for the mere sake of marriage.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 23, 2014
Make una ask Chris O that question.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Samabu07(m): 11:25am On Nov 23, 2014
Can't a Born-again forgive his/her partner? What kind of born again attitude are we creating with our creator this days?

If you are truly born-again you will learn to forgive because marriage is till death do you part. I'm 10000% sure the joy and excitement of your wedding didn't make you deaf to that line....

If you divorce, you can't get married again till your divorced partner dies otherwise you will be committing adultery with whoever that marries you. Lots of folks turn a blind eyes to that fact...

God's your strength!

2 Likes

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by honeyad(m): 11:25am On Nov 23, 2014
Bode2:
na lie. You only pray to God to touch him

Is that what u will advice your sister? Na so that banker take die for isolo.. . What if she dies before God touch him...
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 23, 2014
@Seun, please I want to change my username to sky202, please help, it's urgent, thanks
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by galaxybabe(f): 11:31am On Nov 23, 2014
sainty2k3:

Exactly what is on my mind, I understand perfectly that Bible gives no room for divorce except for adultery, but in case of grievous deceit like the one u mentioned and physical assault I think its better both parties go their ways to avoid incipient murder

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by spenpe: 11:35am On Nov 23, 2014
janet4kelly:
Make una ask Chris O that question.
is pastor Chris God he is a man as you are he's not our ultimate example I.e Christ

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Pennyways: 11:36am On Nov 23, 2014
OasisofRefuge:
Based on the bible, once you are married, there's no going back. except when there's a case of adultery or death.

Today, people have minor differences and still divorce.
As a child of God, is it acceptable to divorce under any condition apart from adultery?

Can a Christian get married, and probably after realising the spouse is not good enough or not up to what he/she desires and ask for a divorce, and then remarries. Either this or remain in the marriage unhappy for ever.

Can a Christian ask for divorce when there's domestic violence or stay in the marriage till the end of time?

Please share with us based on God's word. Is there any reason why a child of God should divorce apart from adultery?
in a case where a husband is a contractor, as the case may be while bidding a tender for a contract the wife forget to include a tax clearance which is important with others document. on that ground the husband lose the contract.

the husband has the right to divorce that wife
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by freecocoa(f): 11:36am On Nov 23, 2014
honeric01:

Nope, he or she didn't change, rather he or she only manifested what he or she has been from the word go.

our actions are the physical manifestation of our inner being. what we are in the spirit is what we manifest in the physical.

You can spot people's mindset just from communicating with them.. their utterance, their views on general issues and experiences, the act and all that. no one changes overnight, part of the "hidden" them can be spotted if you're careful enough.
Oh really? This is interesting.

Now let me get something straight o, you totally disagree with the phrase "change is constant"? And I'm not talking of over night change, you married him/her and he/she showed no traits of a beast, after marriage, the change started coming gradually and then bam! the beast appeared. What say you?
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by dodorima147(m): 11:37am On Nov 23, 2014
I tink d bible context was nt clearly stated cos dis days many marraiges re base of lies unlike doz gud of days wen viginity is vry prime
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Bode2: 11:38am On Nov 23, 2014
Sharksblow:
Matthew 5:31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement.

Matthew 5:32 But I say unto you, that whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Now, read carefully again, whosoever that leaves his wife without formally handing a divorce letter is committing a sin.

Whosoever that leaves his wife without a reasonable excuse like FORNICATION commits a sin. Divorcing your wife if she cheats on you and with viable evidence isn't a sin.

A man was called by his wife one day and said "none of these children is for you" to cut the long story short, all four kids were for a concubine after DNA test. Is this man going to hell for divorcing her peacefully instead of living with her and stand a chance of becoming a murderer in the future.? This happened to a close family friend o. The man was 55 at that time.

Many of people who say its a sin have not seen some evils people can do. OK, if you're a woman and you get to know that your husband used some of your children for ritual money, its still gonna be for better, for worse abi? comments pls
A christian is not expected to divorce because a Christian ought not marry wrongly. Albeit, if a little unfaithfulness such as adultery, disastrous lies or any other unfaithfulness come up then a christian brother is at the choice or liberty to either divorce or not but the big question is who are you divorcing? a christian sister! The bible emphatically says it that no one should marry such a sister that is being divorced( a bigger disaster for a christian sister) so out of love and consideration a brother is expected to painfully forgive her.
If a so called Christian brother regretfully marry an unbeliever, a chronic and unrepentant sinner probable out of deceit, deception and carelessness then he is free to divorce her.

1 Like

Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Nobody: 11:38am On Nov 23, 2014
Zakkyoz:
Use your instinct. Quit when you are fed up. Marriage is designed to be enjoyed and not endured.

Word!
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Nobody: 11:40am On Nov 23, 2014
Zakkyoz:
Use your instinct. Quit when you are fed up. Marriage is designed to be enjoyed and not endured.

Are u sure about dat? So for better or worse should be removed in d marriage vows then?
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Toks2008(m): 11:41am On Nov 23, 2014
aisha2:
The Bible I realise has really beem twisted over the years
God was more concerned about adulterous men than the act of divorce itself but over the years the same adulterous men have de emphasised the adultery part and blackmailed women into staying in misery with adulterous men.

God spoke 5 chapters condemning adultery and unfaithfulness yet they never preach that. Hence people read the bible for yourselves

If we all look at it critically,adultery is not a ground for divorce for a lady but for only the man.

In many contexts when bible talks about he,it usually applies to both gender but in the case of divorce based on adultery,its clearly specific that adultery is a ground for the man to divorce and not the woman.

Yes adultery is a sin but given the fact of the polygamous tendencies of men i do not see any logic in a lady divorcing her husby cos of this.

There is no guaranty that the nxt man wont do worse.

In my opinion,marital infidelity is not about sexual infidelity alone.

A man or woman who refuses the spouse conjugal right has comitted marital infidelity

A spouse who beats up the partbner has commited marital infidelity

A man who also refuses to tend to the emotional needs of the wife is also guilty of marital unfaithfullness.

So a man or woman can dvorce based on these reasons yet we are encouraged to fgv one another 70 x 7 times a day so as believers,we really should not be involved in divorce.

A married lady who divorces based on watever reason shall live as an adultress all the days of her life if she gets nvolved wth anthr man while a man who dvrces wife asides from sexual infidelity is guilty of making that lady an adultress.

Very twisted but the bottpmline is that we should avoid divorce at all cost.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Dammyjohn(m): 11:44am On Nov 23, 2014
simplemach:
Ok, lemme give u the condition as stated out by a Rev. Father in a wedding i once attended in kaduna.
The Rev. Father said, yes, u can divorce but with this condition. That u will gather thesame exact crowd that witnessed the wedding (nobody should be absent) seated before thesame priest who joined the couple. Then the divorce procedures can commence.
Somebody tell me how this is possible,to devorce your wife by gathering the same exact crowd that witnessed the wedding and get them seated before the the same priest who joined the couple together?
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by Redhot111(m): 11:48am On Nov 23, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]
OasisofRefuge:
Based on the bible, once you are married, there's no going back. except when there's a case of adultery or death.

Today, people have minor differences and still divorce.
As a child of God, is it acceptable to divorce under any condition apart from adultery?

Can a Christian get married, and probably after realising the spouse is not good enough or not up to what he/she desires and ask for a divorce, and then remarries. Either this or remain in the marriage unhappy for ever.

Can a Christian ask for divorce when there's domestic violence or stay in the marriage till the end of time?

Please share with us based on God's word. Is there any reason why a child of God should divorce apart from adultery?
i think u already answer the question by urslf. Do what else do u want to hear?
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by ayolander35(m): 11:50am On Nov 23, 2014
pepe se
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by IDEApro(m): 11:50am On Nov 23, 2014
Divorce can take place when the two partners mutually accept they cannot be married again.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by honeric01(m): 11:52am On Nov 23, 2014
freecocoa:
Oh really? This is interesting.

Now let me get something straight o, you totally disagree with the phrase "change is constant"? And I'm not talking of over night change, you married him/her and he/she showed no traits of a beast, after marriage, the change started coming gradually and then bam! the beast appeared. What say you?

You're getting it wrong.. What I am saying is that what you become tomorrow was partly you today. It doesn't happen instantly. A violent person didn't become violent overnight.. Check his or her past, you'd find a trait of violence..

Even in the present, he or she posses violent traits in the way they talk or act but may not show it until when they decide to be the real them.

Lastly, reason people say "he or she changed or has changed" is because most people see dating and courting as a period where you are to be at your best character rather than a place where you are to show who you are to your partner. Dating and courting is suppose to be a mock or sample marriage and not where people come to pretend to be angels.

Until we start seeing dating and courting as where the average us is expected to be manifested, the word "he has changed" won't stop.
Re: Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? by tuffgongjo(m): 11:53am On Nov 23, 2014
If the partner is practicing Fuckery.
If a partner is Abusive(emotionally,Financially,Physically$Sexually).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Since I Married My Wife, I Have Been Having Bad Luck / Ladies Why Do We Keep Deceiving Ourselves? / Guy Shares Photos Of His Mother Who Looks More Like His Elder Sister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.