Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,450 members, 7,808,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:12 PM

Naira Falls To Record Low As Nigeria Stocks Decline - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira Falls To Record Low As Nigeria Stocks Decline (608 Views)

Subsidy On Petrol Falls To N576m Daily / Nigeria’s Daily Fuel Subsidy Falls To N889.44m / "How I Will Operate As Nigeria’s First Lady" – Aisha Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Falls To Record Low As Nigeria Stocks Decline by Anikulhapo(m): 9:18am On Nov 23, 2014
The nation’s currency, the naira, continued its falling spree yesterday as it went down 1.2 percent to N176 per dollar, making the fourth day of decline. This is against N174.15 that it exchanged the previous day.
The Nigerian Stock Exchange All Share Index (ASI) also lost 2.1 percent to 33,428.76 in the worst performance among 93 primary indexes tracked by Bloomberg.
The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is meeting next week to review interest rates in Africa’s biggest economy.
The selloff came as investors weighed potential outcomes of an Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries meeting next week, with Morgan Stanley saying a production cut looks increasingly likely.
Nigeria is an OPEC member and crude oil exports account for about 70 percent of government revenue.
Foreign reserves dropped 2 percent this month, as the CBN sold dollars to lenders to stem the naira’s slide. The regulator may increase its key rate from 12 percent next week to support the currency, according to ETM Analytics.
“Expectations are rising that the bank will throw in the towel and hike policy rates, given the seeming futility of trying to keep the naira from depreciating,” Gareth Brickman, a Johannesburg-based Africa analyst at ETM, said in a note to clients.
Ayodele Ebo of Afrinvest said that the benign Core inflation which provides a basis for the CBN’s monetary policy will offer some succor to MPC members at the next meetinghttp://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=91991“Nevertheless, we believe the CBN may choose to opt for monetary tightening by increasing the CRR on private sector deposit by a minimum of 200bps. Our expectation anchored by the recent volatility of the naira within the last few weeks.
Considering the recent depreciation of the naira to an all-time low of N176/US$1.00, the prospective pressure at the interbank market and the import dependent nature of the Nigerian economy, we expect a domino effect on core index within the next two months. Additionally, the CBN’s recent policy, limiting the remunerable amount at the SDF to N7.5bn has eased liquidity within the banking system and may constitute a prospective headwind to price stability”, Ebo said.
However, Inflation has slowed to 8.1 percent in October from 8.3 percent the previous month.
“I don’t think anything they can do at this point would significantly affect the naira,” Seun Olanipekun, an analyst in Lagos at Investment One Financial Services Ltd., told Bloomberg by phone. “Everything hinges on oil prices.”
The NSE all-share gauge dropped 5.5 percent this week, the worst African performer among global indexes tracked by Bloomberg. That almost erases last week’s 6.5 percent gain.
“People have been taking profits based on their gains last week,” Ebo said by phone. “What’s responsible is the weak macro picture.”http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=91991
Re: Naira Falls To Record Low As Nigeria Stocks Decline by pontirock(m): 9:28am On Nov 23, 2014
Jonathan's Administration Has Witnessed The Most Inflation In Nigeria History From Petrol To Stock Exchange, He Must Be Sent Back To The Zoo Come 2015

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Falls To Record Low As Nigeria Stocks Decline by Nobody: 9:34am On Nov 23, 2014
Ngozi has killed our economy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Falls To Record Low As Nigeria Stocks Decline by Alfred200825(m): 9:41am On Nov 23, 2014
* In Ngozi's voice* The economy is growing.
Re: Naira Falls To Record Low As Nigeria Stocks Decline by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 23, 2014
Mrs Ngozi iweala was interviewed by richard quest on quest means business two days ago on cnn.

She opened her toilet which she called mouth and stated dropping shit.

she was like "the economy is going stronger need I remind u we have the largest economy in africa bla bla bla"

I was just biting the pillow that was with me.

well,I dnt care cos I studie in ouagadoghou

(1) (Reply)

Biafra Zionists Battle For Bail, Withdraw N10m Civil Suit Against FG / My Questions For Buhari - Femi Fani Kayode / Agents Of Change, Do You Have Your Permanent Voter's Card?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.