Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,988 members, 7,806,875 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? (1236 Views)

How To Determine The Age Of A Car Tire (Photos) / Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion / The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by silvoice(m): 11:17am On Nov 23, 2014
Tire experts advise that car owners should change all 4 tires at the same time when they want to replace their tire, or 2, if they can't offset d bill for 4 tires at a time. They also recomend that d 2 new tires be placed at d rear for a reason.
Now my question is, if one experiences tire burst on highway it's more dangerous if it's d front tire, so why should i put my two new tire at d rear: what's your opinion on this?
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 23, 2014
You should always change both tires on any on axle at the same time and the best tires should go on to the steering axles.

The idea is that with nodder engineering a blow out on the rear can be more easily handled than on the front. Additionally a read slide might be an inconvenience but a frontal slide could be disastrous.

When you loose grip on our rear wheels you mostly stay in your lane but a front wheel slide guarantees that you'll leave your lane.

All that being said I change all my four tires at the same time, it's cheap insurance and no matter what you drive or how awesome your car is, the tires are the final contact with the road and the deciding factor on how good of a experience that you'll have.

I just bought for brand new tires for a vehicle that may not even be under it's own power for a year - $200

Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:06pm On Nov 23, 2014
I wonder what happened to cityng's post? shocked

1 Like

Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by silvoice(m): 1:04pm On Nov 23, 2014
CityNG:
You should always change both tires on any on axle at the same time and the best tires should go on to the steering axles.

The idea is that with nodder engineering a blow out on the rear can be more easily handled than on the front. Additionally a read slide might be an inconvenience but a frontal slide could be disastrous.

When you loose grip on our rear wheels you mostly stay in your lane but a front wheel slide guarantees that you'll leave your lane.

All that being said I change all my four tires at the same time, it's cheap insurance and no matter what you drive or how awesome your car is, the tires are the final contact with the road and the deciding factor on how good of a experience that you'll have.

I just bought for brand new tires for a vehicle that may not even be under it's own power for a year - $200

exactly my idea. So this tire experts online are wrong or what?
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by silvoice(m): 1:09pm On Nov 23, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
I wonder what happened to cityng's post? shocked
how?
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by AutosBay(m): 1:33pm On Nov 23, 2014
When replacing only 2 tires the new ones should always be installed on the rear axle, ESPECIALLY when the car is FWD. The reason being is that if you lose traction at the rear axle your chances of losing control of the vehicle and having a serious accident are dramatically greater than if you lose traction on the front tires.

The "age-old-wisdom" was based primarily on the idea that on a FWD vehicle the front tires wear faster. So what? Is it better to even out treadwear or not wrap yourself around a tree? To a lesser extent it was also based around the idea that the front tires do most of the braking and all of the turning and thus should have the best traction but as the links below show vehicle stability is more important and that is imparted by the rear tires, not the front. Also, people like to have "traction" in snow but what they really mean is acceleration, not traction per se. If you've ever driven down a highway in the winter during a blizzard and noticed all the cars in the ditch they all have a common characteristic - you are looking at their headlights. They all went into the ditch backwards, meaning they spun out due to a loss of traction at the rear tires.

It is the policy of most major tire manufacturers including: Goodyear, Dunlop, Pirelli, Continental, Cooper, Bridgestone/Firestone, Michelin, etc that 2 new tires go on the rear. Most tire stores now are adhering to this policy. Avoid those that don't.
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 23, 2014
silvoice:
how?

SpamBot got me at first - banned me and summarily hid my post, I emailed the mods and now my post came back.

If I ever catch that spambot ehn grin
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 23, 2014
silvoice:
exactly my idea. So this tire experts online are wrong or what?

Regardless of the source, I follow my own path and do my own thing based on my own experiences even if it goes against the norm or against "experts".

Sometimes I'm wrong but it's the way we learn as humans.

I never ever buy a pair of tires and always buy in fours so I've never had to test my theory personally.

PS: Just look at how many things we do in a day that goes against what experts says but we use our own individual judgement.

1) Crossing roads without using crosswalk

2) Going faster than the speed limit

3) Eating raw fish

4) Having unprotected sex

5) Getting married

List goes on and on.
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by silvoice(m): 1:50pm On Nov 23, 2014
CityNG:

Regardless of the source, I follow my own path and do my own thing based on my own experiences even if it goes against the norm or against "experts".

Sometimes I'm wrong but it's the way we learn as humans.

I never ever buy a pair of tires and always buy in fours so I've never had to test my theory personally.

PS: Just look at how many things we do in a day that goes against what experts says but we use our own individual judgement.

3) Eating raw fish

5) Getting married

List goes on and on.
Lol. Nice one
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by silvoice(m): 2:05pm On Nov 23, 2014
AutosBay:
When replacing only 2 tires the new ones should always be installed on the rear axle, ESPECIALLY when the car is FWD. The reason being is that if you lose traction at the rear axle your chances of losing control of the vehicle and having a serious accident are dramatically greater than if you lose traction on the front tires.

The "age-old-wisdom" was based primarily on the idea that on a FWD vehicle the front tires wear faster. So what? Is it better to even out treadwear or not wrap yourself around a tree? To a lesser extent it was also based around the idea that the front tires do most of the braking and all of the turning and thus should have the best traction but as the links below show vehicle stability is more important and that is imparted by the rear tires, not the front. Also, people like to have "traction" in snow but what they really mean is acceleration, not traction per se. If you've ever driven down a highway in the winter during a blizzard and noticed all the cars in the ditch they all have a common characteristic - you are looking at their headlights. They all went into the ditch backwards, meaning they spun out due to a loss of traction at the rear tires.

It is the policy of most major tire manufacturers including: Goodyear, Dunlop, Pirelli, Continental, Cooper, Bridgestone/Firestone, Michelin, etc that 2 new tires go on the rear. Most tire stores now are adhering to this policy. Avoid those that don't.
this is theory. If u are in Nigeria, with our beautiful roads, wil u put ur best tires at the back and fix 10 yrs and above tire in d front and be pushing 140k/h
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:35pm On Nov 23, 2014
CityNG:

3) Eating raw fish

5) Getting married

List goes on and on.

angry
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Nov 23, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

angry

It's okay my Bros.

If you've paid alimony to an Ex Wife for 15 years after a divorce then you'll sabi well well grin

You don't have to be married in these modern times to enjoy the same benefits of marriage.
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:19pm On Nov 23, 2014
CityNG:

It's okay my Bros.

If you've paid alimony to an Ex Wife for 15 years after a divorce then you'll sabi well well grin

You don't have to be married in these modern times to enjoy the same benefits of marriage.

Your parents will be so proud of you. undecided
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 23, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Your parents will be so proud of you. undecided

Yes, they are very proud of me grin

Thanks for the concern.
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 23, 2014
silvoice:
this is theory. If u are in Nigeria, with our beautiful roads, wil u put ur best tires at the back and fix 10 yrs and above tire in d front and be pushing 140k/h
Hm. Yes, with our well laid out (beautiful) roads, the more reason that your should heed the theory of the experts.
Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by silvoice(m): 10:39pm On Nov 23, 2014
Costee:

Hm. Yes, with our well laid out (beautiful) roads, the more reason that your should heed the theory of the experts.
that is theory for d gods. For me, my new tire must be in d front.
(If i want 2 behave lik naija drivers, i change only one. D new one must be at d driver's side. Then d worst of all d tires become my spear tire). that's naija method.

1 Like

Re: Tire Issue: What's Your Opinion On This? by silvoice(m): 10:41pm On Nov 23, 2014
Costee:

(1) (Reply)

Please Can Anyone Suggest The Amount Of This Car? / Car Advice: Vehicle Suspension Problems / End Of Discussion Mechanic In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.