Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,683 members, 7,801,966 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Nation Building: State Of Residence Instead Of State Of Origin- My Humble Opinio - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nation Building: State Of Residence Instead Of State Of Origin- My Humble Opinio (487 Views)

How Politicians Humble Themselves When Seeking Votes (photos) / Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / Osinbajo At Tinubu’s Residence To Celebrate With Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nation Building: State Of Residence Instead Of State Of Origin- My Humble Opinio by Elose11(m): 12:02pm On Nov 23, 2014
I met a Rwandese today at Abuja airport during immigration clearance. After exchanging pleasantary, I asked her if she was a Hutu or Tutsi by tribe. She replied that she was a Rwandese, and not from any of those tribes. I was confused. Then she told me that in Rwanda, they claim their nation before tribe. Aha! I told her in plain English, that it's the other way in Nigeria. We claim our villages first; religion second; tribe third, before country.
This set me thinking. Can we begin to re educate ourselves to see our nation first before all other considerations? Can we subsume every other thing that differentiate us under a nation? Why not nigeria first and always? Why should an Ibo man that is residing in Borno state not see that state as his own if he is paying tax there? Or an Hausa man that has lived all his life in Lagos. Or a Yoruba man that was born and bred in Onitsha
Why don't we substitute state of origin in our documents with state of residence? Where ever you have resided for 5 years and above, should be your state of residence and you must partake in every benefit that accrue to that state:Scholarship, employment, politics, appointment, etc.
Let's begin to build a nation. Let's begin to magnify those things that unite us as nation and discard those that tears us apart.
Folks what do you think?

1 Like

Re: Nation Building: State Of Residence Instead Of State Of Origin- My Humble Opinio by Justcash(m): 12:09pm On Nov 23, 2014
Nah, nobody will want to make a comment on this beautiful topic. If it is about ethnic hatred and distaste, they will swoop on the topic and start to insult themselves.

Op; it should be the way you suggested if Nigeria and NIGERIANS are serious about nation building. For now, Nigerians are busy fighting themselves and destroying the nation on the basis of ethno-religious and political fraternity. IT IS A BIG SHAME!

1 Like

Re: Nation Building: State Of Residence Instead Of State Of Origin- My Humble Opinio by theSpark(m): 2:13am On Nov 26, 2014
It should be the way to go under normal circumstances.

May God help us.

(1) (Reply)

Tambuwal And His Shameful Law-breaker Supporters. / Jonathan And Officials Not Ready For Austerity / Ashiru, Ex-foreign Affairs Minister, Dies In S’africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.