Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,445 members, 7,808,592 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? (25680 Views)

Hospital Seeks The Public's Help In Identifying An Accident Victim (graphic Pics / 6 Diseases That Could Embarrass You In The Public / JOHESU Strike Claims Nigeria’s Only Neuropathologist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by drered(m): 1:24pm On Nov 24, 2014
gbodimowo:

As far as I am concerned JOHESU Are irewlivsnt
You don't matter..
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 24, 2014
[quote
author=titanhayes post=28303757]I overheard two matrons in UCH raining
courses on whoever is against the progress of their profession. No be
small thing o!
I know JOHESU will kill herself soon. If the govt approves what they
clamour for; then its not worth being a doctor...they want equal pay
with doctors! They ve got guts!
And the Juniors on JOHESU know this clamour will only favour the nurses,
pharms etc.Once they achieve that, they ll dump Johesu. Then another
group will surface again fighting for equality instead of
equity.[/quote]
and who benefitted frm d drs strike CONSULTANTS AND SENIOR REGS
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by fuke(m): 1:28pm On Nov 24, 2014
omicron:
Some months ago, Nigerian doctors went on strike. What started as days of industrial action became weeks, then months. The masses were not happy. There were bitter complaints from every nook and cranny of the society about how insensitive, selfish, wicked and greedy Nigerian doctors are. It was as though medical practice in Nigeria was reserved for the 'meanies', seeing as everybody called the names with sweeping generalizations. Many said the doctors took an oath to protect lives and were not living up to it. Anyway, in the end, matters were apparently rectified and they resumed work.

Today- some months after the NMA strike was called off- JOHESU is on strike. JOHESU is an association of every other health worker in the hospital, minus doctors. The strike has lasted for sometime now. The doctors have been attending to patients alone. There has been deafening silence on this matter. There is no public outrage or outcry. Nobody is telling them they're not living up to their oath.

The interesting part is that the reasons for the strike of few months ago, are about the same reasons for the strike of today, yet, nobody is calling anybody greedy or insensitive or wicked.

There's undoubtedly a disconnect somewhere. I'm still trying to figure out what/where exactly it is.

They are not docyors and they did not swear to any oath.

Besides, they do not go on strike like doctors and their demands may be reasonable.
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by fuke(m): 1:28pm On Nov 24, 2014
omicron:
Some months ago, Nigerian doctors went on strike. What started as days of industrial action became weeks, then months. The masses were not happy. There were bitter complaints from every nook and cranny of the society about how insensitive, selfish, wicked and greedy Nigerian doctors are. It was as though medical practice in Nigeria was reserved for the 'meanies', seeing as everybody called the names with sweeping generalizations. Many said the doctors took an oath to protect lives and were not living up to it. Anyway, in the end, matters were apparently rectified and they resumed work.

Today- some months after the NMA strike was called off- JOHESU is on strike. JOHESU is an association of every other health worker in the hospital, minus doctors. The strike has lasted for sometime now. The doctors have been attending to patients alone. There has been deafening silence on this matter. There is no public outrage or outcry. Nobody is telling them they're not living up to their oath.

The interesting part is that the reasons for the strike of few months ago, are about the same reasons for the strike of today, yet, nobody is calling anybody greedy or insensitive or wicked.

There's undoubtedly a disconnect somewhere. I'm still trying to figure out what/where exactly it is.

They are not doctors and they did not swear to any oath.

Besides, they do not go on strike now and then like doctors and their demands may be reasonable.
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by drered(m): 1:32pm On Nov 24, 2014
titanhayes:
I overheard two matrons in UCH raining courses on whoever is against the progress of their profession. No be small thing o!
I know JOHESU will kill herself soon. If the govt approves what they clamour for; then its not worth being a doctor...they want equal pay with doctors! They ve got guts!
And the Juniors on JOHESU know this clamour will only favour the nurses, pharms etc.Once they achieve that, they ll dump Johesu. Then another group will surface again fighting for equality instead of equity.
If the government implements the demands of JOHESU it isn't worth being a doctor? It shows the kind of person you are as it is very clear that you are ego driven.. Why should someone's effort in trying to better his field make you so bitter when initially it was the doctors and dentists that broke out and held the government by its balls to meet certain demands that favoured them while ignoring other members of the health care team? -+You need to get your facts right as relativity will always be maintained and that isn't one of the issue being raised by JOHESU

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by imotal(m): 1:37pm On Nov 24, 2014
Ever since I graduated from the university years ago, I've been praying God for a job. Last month I got federal employment in a federal medical centre. While warming up to give a testimony and throw a party, JOHESU struck. Which kind evils be this ni?

1 Like

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by drered(m): 1:38pm On Nov 24, 2014
kcdegr8:
My biggest disappointment in this brouhaha lies with the pharmacists. It's soo unfortunate that they have to stoop so low all in the name of fraternity, just to fight doctors. Such an absurdity!

After going through the communiqué issued recently by graduate nurses following their withdrawal from johesu, i was deeply impressed. No doubt the nurses have some demands on the table but the manner they have adopted is really matured. They know fighting for their rights as a solitary body is more feasible (unlike pharmacists asking FG to make cleaners consultants lol).

Pharmacists are people of great learning, arguably second only to the doctors in the hospital setup. It's high time they take their rightful place, pull out from the charlatans and let their voices be heard.
The pharmacists greatest dissapointment lies with the M.D's as they are threatened for no reason and basically ego driven.. Can you give a credible link to the supposed comminuque issued by grad. nurses? Because I clicked on the same link and nothing popped out + nurses are still on strike.. Where was it ever stated that cleaners are clamouring to be consultants? If that's your attempt at being comical then its a fail.. You got one thing right tho.. pharmacists are second to the M.D's ONLY in the hospital setting and I could understand from there why M.D's are so defensive but then the bigger picture is what matters.. The only reasons pharmacists made that alliance was that was the only logical way to make their actions effective..
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by drered(m): 1:40pm On Nov 24, 2014
Cmanforall:

JOHESU Member.... See his 'Pharm' title. Lol. Catch you...
On the matter, please JOHESU, can you confidently state the reasons for this strike? If you want to justify it. Let's start from there. Tnx
The reasons are clear. The issue here is what is your problem with the reasons behind the strike action?
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by OHAJURU1: 1:45pm On Nov 24, 2014
Nawa o
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by drered(m): 1:48pm On Nov 24, 2014
Drabrah:

My dear, nobody has eva said any category of workers ain't important, nobody is saying dat & nobody ll say it. Bone of contention here is role play wc is needed 2 bring sanity into d system. 4 God's sake, wu wud a conzo nurse b consultant 2? This is wot wasn't defined dat made a nurse change d prescription of a consultant obstetrician. Abi u wanna feign ignorance of d story? ?
You guys aint tired of this BS made up story? Same with the made up story where a consultant nurse in UCH ordered that the dressing a consultant plastic surgeon made to be open up? Mere conjectures until proven otherwise. A nurse or a pharmacist should and would never change the prescription of a M.D.. What's the problem really? That your ego will be bruised when your competency is put into question by errors on your part? That your exclusivity to a patient will be encroached upon? M.D's need to start seeing patient care as a collective team effort so as to improve therapeutic outcome and reduce the rate of morbidity and avoidable deaths..

4 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Cmanforall: 1:52pm On Nov 24, 2014
drered:
The reasons are clear. The issue here is what is your problem with the reasons behind the strike action?
I don't know the reason behind the strike, like other Nairalanders. Last I heard, they said JOHESU can now be consultants. I thought it should be a cause for celebration, rather they embarked on another strike...

Please do the needful, outline the reasons for THIS PRESENT STRIKE.... Let's check how reasonable it is to warrant strike action...

Tnx

1 Like

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by binladen(m): 1:53pm On Nov 24, 2014
The problem is with nma leadership. Doctors should begin to run 3shifts daily like all other health workers. It will solve employment and reduce stress. Nurses and others can't work for few hours a day and expect to earn same salary wit doctor that do not run shift.

1 Like

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 24, 2014
drered:
The pharmacists greatest dissapointment lies with the M.D's as they are threatened for no reason and basically ego driven.. Can you give a credible link to the supposed comminuque issued by grad. nurses? Because I clicked on the same link and nothing popped out + nurses are still on strike.. Where was it ever stated that cleaners are clamouring to be consultants? If that's your attempt at being comical then its a fail.. You got one thing right tho.. pharmacists are second to the M.D's ONLY in the hospital setting and I could understand from there why M.D's are so defensive but then the bigger picture is what matters.. The only reasons pharmacists made that alliance was that was the only logical way to make their actions effective..

solidarity in mediocrity.. nonsense!

www.nairaland.com/2008945/nigerian-graduate-nurses-association-disassociate

4 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by freenortheast: 2:04pm On Nov 24, 2014
Not in their interest I guess.
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by yomi007k(m): 2:09pm On Nov 24, 2014
The public will not cry because they are being attended to. Forget dat crap of dem having bigger problems.
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2014
D truth is DAT people hate and envy med. Docs..
Yet we all want to have our kids study MEDICINE.. even if it means studying it in a mini private school...
D dream of most nurses and JOHESU member is to MARRY a med. Doc..even in the presence of this overwhelming hatred.
They feel that the prestige and accolades given to med.docs. worldwide are too unbearable...
My cousin, a member of JOHESU, working and doing well is still seeking for admission to study medicine.
It still baffles me...
Notwithstanding that med. Docs ascend more hospital stay than others...they still parade this egocentric palava within themselves..
HATRED ABOUNDS.....among BLACK AFRICANS...

6 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Nwadigood(f): 2:12pm On Nov 24, 2014
1,Johesu is fighting a just course unlike .....
2,Insignificant; pls check your dictionary b4 you use words bigger than you.
3, Doctors working;wait until when you're sick for admission.
4,My point; You can not do anything in the health sector with only d almighty NMA or any other group for that matter.
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by elder05(m): 2:20pm On Nov 24, 2014
drered:
Not really.. Patients were discharged in all the wards I visited when the strike started.. Doctors also couldn't see new patients.. So its effect is just as bad and this shouldn't be about who's got more balls anywayz..
dats not true! Patients r still being attended to like nothing happened. They only go outside 2 get their drugs
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by toysleek(f): 2:27pm On Nov 24, 2014
[quote author=titanhay
I know JOHESU will kill herself soon. If the govt approves what they clamour for; then its not worth being a doctor...they want equal pay with doctors! They ve got guts!
.[/quote]
Equal pay ke? Haba! Fear God ooo.
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Reference(m): 3:05pm On Nov 24, 2014
Poster you guys are now competing with so called 'auxillary' staff about who strike pass. We all know you guys were at the bottom of the pit. Now the race is on to go even lower. Pity.
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by drered(m): 3:06pm On Nov 24, 2014
kcdegr8:

solidarity in mediocrity.. nonsense!

www.nairaland.com/2008945/nigerian-graduate-nurses-association-disassociate
Too exasperated cuz of the difference in opinion that you couldn't read between the line? Open the same link and see what pops up.. Call it whatever you want, it doesn't change the facts..
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by drered(m): 3:10pm On Nov 24, 2014
elder05:
dats not true! Patients r still being attended to like nothing happened. They only go outside 2 get their drugs
Lol. Do you even know the hospital I'm talking about? Patients had difficulties in accessing tertiary hospitals with some not being attended to at all.. The workers in the primary and secondary health care facilities haven't been told to join the strike though, I suppose that's a show of goodwill.. But plans are on the way to shut them down too.. Patients in the wards I visited in UCH were discharged.. I met empty beds..
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by MrsAwesome: 3:30pm On Nov 24, 2014
Very funny, how the impact of over 90% of health sector workforce will not be felt. With the frequent public outcry of brain drain of doctors, one is left to wonder how 10% are able to tackle the strike single handedly and effectively without the aid of these workers. NMA can recruit their retired and dead members, premed and med students to continue their quackery in the health system which goes to show where the greater percentage of rots in the health sector is.

This is hogwashism... to say the least.
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Sylverbox(m): 4:27pm On Nov 24, 2014
pharmguru:

trust me, even u knw dt the hospital cant even function wen only cleaners go on strike not to talk of when the whole JOHESU goes on strike.
the sooner u guys understand that evry1 in the health sector is important, the better for evry1. besides there s strength in number grin
trust me, even u knw dt the hospital cant even function wen only cleaners go on strike not to talk of when the whole JOHESU goes on strike.
the sooner u guys understand that evry1 in the health sector is important, the better for evry1. besides there s strength in number
you obviously have no idea of what doctors do. Sorry.
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by ukandi1(m): 4:32pm On Nov 24, 2014
plainmirror:
A man goes to his doctor and says, "I don't think
my wife's hearing isn't as good as it used to be.
What should I do?" The doctor replies, "Try this
test to find out for sure.
When your wife is in the kitchen doing dishes,
stand fifteen feet behind her and ask her a
question, if she doesn't respond keep moving
closer asking the question until she hears you."
The man goes home and sees his wife preparing
dinner. He stands fifteen feet behind her and
says, "What's for dinner, honey?" He gets no
response, so he moves to ten feet behind her and
asks again. Still no response, so he moves to five
feet. still no answer. Finally he stands directly
behind her and says, "Honey, what's for dinner?"
She replies, "For the fourth time, I SAID
CHICKEN!"

My pipo whose 'ear' needs a troubleshoot? grin

hahahahahahahahahahahaha......! Chai.... D man ears don finish kpatakpata and he neva knew. Na sori be im name oh.....
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 24, 2014
i think dominic(health mod) is a nurse . Reason she pushed anti-doc posts to the homepage frequently.

2 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by heykims(m): 4:51pm On Nov 24, 2014
ILIDEFI:

Doctors are not saying that JOHESU members are unimportant. They are only saying that everybody is not equal. All health workers can't be treated equally. It's impossible.
And lemme ask you, why do you guys lock up everywhere when you go on strike? You guys should endeavour to leave all hospital property as you go on your strikes, and see what doctors can achieve with medical students.
Again, is it not amazing that when only doctors go on strike, hospitals are shut down, but when the rest of the workers (over 90% of the work force) go on strike, skeletal services are rendered. It means that NMA alone matches up to over 7 or more JOHESU groups. Therefore each JOHESU group should only receive 1/7 of doctors' benefits. Hehehe
I so much love this comment mehn..
All men re born equal but some re more equal than d other postnatally..

2 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by pharmguru: 5:12pm On Nov 24, 2014
ILIDEFI:

Doctors are not saying that JOHESU members are unimportant. They are only saying that everybody is not equal. All health workers can't be treated equally. It's impossible.
And lemme ask you, why do you guys lock up everywhere when you go on strike? You guys should endeavour to leave all hospital property as you go on your strikes, and see what doctors can achieve with medical students.
Again, is it not amazing that when only doctors go on strike, hospitals are shut down, but when the rest of the workers (over 90% of the work force) go on strike, skeletal services are rendered. It means that NMA alone matches up to over 7 or more JOHESU groups. Therefore each JOHESU group should only receive 1/7 of doctors' benefits. Hehehe
ofcos evry1 in the health sector is not equal that is why there is sumtin called RELATIVITY.
for peace to reign the international relativity in salary among health proessionals should be maintained and that includes other privileges like heading the hospital.
not the situation we have here in nigeria where one group gets all the pay for a team work and the other group get peanuts. that INJUSTICE MUST STOP and thats what JOHESU is fighting for.
as for medical students rendering services, thats no big deal. would luv to see how long that continue before u guys start fighting among yourselves. i suppose u will be vry content doing the work of a nurse or cleaner and running errands for ur superiors all your life after working so hard to get your MBBS cert just becos u wana prove dat you ar capable of doing without JOHESU. how laughable.

left alone for me, i would suggest evry1 in the health sector graduates with MBBS then we can have MBBS-nurses, MBBS-lab techs etc that way evry1 gets to be treated equally. very hilarious idea indeed.
my dear the hospital is like a vry fragile machine. it cant function without all its part working togeda; even if all the medical students in Nigeria are turned into errand boys and girls. the sooner u guys let dat fact sink into your heads, the better for evry1.

4 Likes

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by ACM10: 5:12pm On Nov 24, 2014
ILIDEFI:

he he he. . . I can't stop laughing. This your comment is as straight as cigarette stick. You can't treat unequal men equally. Even God treats archangels different from angels. So who are we to act differently.

1 Like

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by pharmguru: 5:24pm On Nov 24, 2014
Sylverbox:
Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by pharmguru: 5:25pm On Nov 24, 2014
Sylverbox:
Sylverbox:
i do dear....i get the idea that they get training in all the health departments and bla bla bla.
well if u ask me, i tink its more of a jack of all trade, master of none stuff. more like a doctor knowing more about drugs than the pharmacist who spent his whole life studying drugs. thats imposible.
so, sorry to you too. i knw doctors can do "evrytin" but the hard cold fact is no doctor can do evrytin at the same time EFFICIENTLY.
besides what happened to practice makes perfect??.
the members of JOHESU have perfected their work for years. not even all the doctors put together can beat them in doing their job. thats the meaning of competence

1 Like

Re: Johesu Strike: Why The Public Silence? by pharmguru: 5:48pm On Nov 24, 2014
drered:

you dont know much about pharmacists....do you?
see, pharmacists are not stuck to the hospital like you guys. they can always find a place outside the hospital. the doctors know that and so, in the actual sense, they are the ones feeling threatened by the pharmacists.
and because of their fears of losing most of their work to the pharmacists, they are fighting seriously to inhibit any form of growth in pharmacy education. Little wonder they were alarmed when the issue of PHARM.D came up. they knew that with any slight increase in the parmacists' clinical knowledge, they will be faced with stiff competition.
so dear, its the doctors that are feeling threatened by the pharmacists. and you know what?...i think the doctors "FEAR" secretly that shud the FG meet the demands of JOHESU, they will lose some of their respects and meet with stiff competition. that kinda explain the reason for their strike action. but dont worry sha....it will remain "our little secret".....hahaha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Algeria, Morocco, Other Countries Evacuate Citizens From China / Mentally-Challenged Woman Gives Birth To Baby Girl By Roadside In Ebonyi (Pix) / The Danger Of Taking Antimalarials, VITAMIN C And Blood Tonics Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.