Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,781 members, 7,802,418 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! (73951 Views)

Lady Wears A Bum Short To Young-Shall-Grow Park Onitsha (pic) / How Can One Grow Facial Hair Rapidly? / Top Black Hair Salons In London? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 11:15pm On Apr 12, 2010
Ejadamen:

Jellybean,did you redo the braids at the edges of your hair within that 2 months? Didn't the braids drag on your hair? I'm considering braiding and leaving it on for that length of time while washing, conditioning and moisturising but I swim like 3 times a week and I wonder if that will be possible.

Nope i didn't redo the braids at the edges, That's why i put up a picture of the braids when it was 2 months old and washed a couple of times. My hair do grow out but the braids don't drag, it does when i wash it but when dry it's pretty light weight BUT that also depends on the kind of attachment you use. Expression and Darlyn yaki are really light weight and also with the afikan attachment(can't remember the exact name).

If you swim, well if it's long braids then it might drag a lil bit except you braid it like a pony tail. If it's short then you have no problem.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by shilling(f): 2:28am On Apr 13, 2010
My extension braids don't get messy, your hair might stand out as always so you just trim it off with scissors.
Here is a picture of my braid(2months old) and it's been washed regularly.
I don't get much of a split end honestly, i did when i use to relax my hair but not anymore.
You mosturize the hair and braid. 

That is so true. . . I so cannot believe that some chics wear braids for about 3 months or something like that without washing it - that's just nasty. I wash mine, and then allow it to air dry/ blow dry it, then wear a scarf to tame the fly-aways. I also wear a scarf every night.

I prob could go natural too (your hair is enough inspiration lol). Thing is my hair still looks good cos I only relax it twice a year, but I'm always wondering why I even bother. How was the transition process like. . . going natural? Did you trim most of your hair and start afresh?

Ejadamen:

You would not believe things people can sayJellybean,did you redo the braids at the edges of your hair within that 2 months? Didn't the braids drag on your hair? I'm considering braiding and leaving it on for that length of time while washing, conditioning and moisturising but I swim like 3 times a week and I wonder if that will be possible.

jellybean:

Nope i didn't redo the braids at the edges, That's why i put up a picture of the braids when it was 2 months old and washed a couple of times. My hair do grow out but the braids don't drag, it does when i wash it but when dry it's pretty light weight BUT that also depends on the kind of attachment you use. Expression and Darlyn yaki are really light weight and also with the afikan attachment(can't remember the exact name).

If you swim, well if it's long braids then it might drag a lil bit except you braid it like a pony tail. If it's short then you have no problem.
That is so true. . .I have the "touch-and-drop" braids right now, and this is the first time I've worn 'em cos the crazy woman who always braided my hair told me that touch and drop braids is only for people with short hair Anyways, I spent Christmas break in Botswana and I got 'em done there, and the girl was super good, and I've had my braids for 4 months now lol. True, when it's washed, it drags a little and loosens up a bit, but the thing about braids is that if you take care of it well, u can wear it as long as u like, esp the touch and drop ones, cos it starts looking really natural and nice (you'd get compliments all the time).

Like you said jellybean, braids are probably the best way to grow hair - if it's prob done (some people make the edges too tight which weakens the hair).
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by dammiesobo(f): 3:23pm On Apr 13, 2010
i recently went natural last year nov.

it was d best decision ever, wasn't easy but special thanks to all my youtube sista and natural hair bloggers, they gave me all the support and most importantly information i needed.

thank u for this is, good 2 know dat najia women r takin better care of there hair, smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Ejadamen(f): 5:47pm On Apr 13, 2010
That's it! angry I'm going natural as soon as I get some new growth in my hair tongue I relaxed recently and just hate my hair. I noticed that my natural hair responded to all the pampering better than relaxed hair.
jellybean:

Thanks wink
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 10:54pm On Apr 13, 2010
shilling:

How was the transition process like. . . going natural? Did you trim most of your hair and start afresh?
Hmm, i didn't trim nor start afresh but i'll give us all a laugh and describe the way my hair was.
Road to Lagos with Bumpers is an understatement. The middle was long, the side were short and the edges were low cut. How did it happen? Okay, i bought hair colour(Blond) and decided to cut and colour my hair so i trimmed it just a lil bit and applied the colour and behold i came out with orange and brown patches hair, 3 weeks later i applied super relaxer and BAM!! My hair chopped off grin After washing and drying it, I saw my road to lagos and screamed, cried and ended up eating eba and egusi.
I started wearing a wig for about 2 months while the hair grew in different directions and then closed my eyes and braided it. The girls laughed their butt off while braiding my hair and so i kept braiding and applied Wild Growth oil which works like magic and also olive hair lotion. That was my transition process grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by AqRiUsAge(f): 11:13pm On Apr 13, 2010
My hair is natural (though its been dyed  tongue ) and it continues to grow. I can attest to it that black hair DOES grow. I have sisterlocks, and even when I didnt, my hair always grew when natural.

What I do to it? Nothing but shampooing. My hair doesnt get dry, I do NOT condition, and my hair is yet to break. When I condition it, it gets toooooo damn oily!

It seems to have its own natural oils because when I leave that bad bwoy without a good shampooo too long, I end up with soo much grease in it!

So, I do nothing but shampoo, and it is yet to stop growing,  will post pics when I get a chance.

Dont let anyone fool you; hair is hair and hair will continue to grow. Black hair is no different. Please click on these links to see black long hair,  you may not be into locks, and am not trying to advocate for locks. I'm just saying,  your hair can grow this long or longer. You just have to LET IT !

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/01/08/1199773056_6959.jpg

http://www.locksandkee.com/images/DrCPurpleSideSmall.jpg
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by platinumnk(f): 11:16pm On Apr 13, 2010
locks grow faster because it also includes the shed hair.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by AqRiUsAge(f): 11:23pm On Apr 13, 2010
Jellybean
OMG i love your hair! Its nice and full smiley

platinumnk:

locks grow faster because it also includes the shed hair.

is that right?
hmm, good to know.

I know that makes it look fuller though,
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 12:24am On Apr 14, 2010
Oh my those locs are gorgeous. I know a girl who had beautiful loc, it was neat and just gorgeous. I may go that route after I transition. But me being the impatient ninny that I am would want the long locs immediately grin grin

@A.AGE,

When did you loc your hair? is it very long now? How do you deal with your hair after exercising?
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by AqRiUsAge(f): 1:34am On Apr 14, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

Oh my those locs are gorgeous. I know a girl who had beautiful loc, it was neat and just gorgeous. I may go that route after I transition. But me being the impatient ninny that I am would want the long locs immediately grin grin
@A.AGE,
When did you loc your hair? is it very long now? How do you deal with your hair after exercising?

I know, arent they beautiful?

I locked mine in July of '08. It doesnt look very long (though, people keep telling me its grown alot) in my eyes, because it shrinks. As you see in the pics I posted in my previous post, the one lady's locks were really wavy and the next one had straight(er) ones. I find that they just follow your regular hair textture and my regular hair texture (or pattern) is the type that retracts (shrinks).  Using Jellybean's pix as an example, her texture would be straighter, and would appear its true length,  hope that helps.

On my profile pic, that was a pic taken after 17months of locking my hair. Mind you, I did start with I think,  5 months of natural hair growth. You could start with relaxed hair too, mind you, and then chop the relaxed ends off later.

To answer your question, my hair is in its relaxed state, at bangs length (at the front), bob length (at the sides) and 3/4 length of my nape (at the back). If your hair texture is the non wavy/curly type, appear longer (to give you a hint, when I stretch my locks out at the front, they go to my lower lips. Hope that helps).

I dont know about gyms (wouldnt know my way to one) but I guess I can relate because I do perspire alot (a little on the hyperactive side). If you're worried about sweating and having to wash, thats fine. I either do a rinse (without shampoo) if I'd just shampooed, or if it looks like I was going to need a shampoo soon anyway, I just shampoo it.

With new locks, you'd bunch them up in little sections, with elastics, and then shampoo by washing from room to ends. Once your locks have been defined (your locks matt together, so no risk of loosening), you can wash them without the elastics. I only had to wash mine once with elastics. My hair texture has a tendency to want to matt together, so didnt have to worry about loosening.

Didnt mean to write you up a history book,  haha

How is your hair right now? Transitioning or relaxed?
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by platinumnk(f): 2:06am On Apr 14, 2010
Jellybean ur hair is marvelous, smiley
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Sissy3(f): 2:12am On Apr 14, 2010
thnks jellybean. do you do only individuals? no other styles like twisting etc

@ AqRiUs Age

do you ever plan on taking out the locks or is it sort of permanent?
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 14, 2010
@A.Age,

Wow girl I love your locs, did you dye your hair? Im one year post relaxer and just braiding it now. How did you loc your hair? did you go to a salon to do it?
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 11:02pm On Apr 14, 2010
~Sissy~:

thnks jellybean. do you do only individuals? no other styles like twisting etc

I do individuals and then style it differently. I do curls,cornrows and twist with it. smiley
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by shilling(f): 3:06am On Apr 15, 2010
jellybean:

. . . and so i kept braiding and applied Wild Growth oil which works like magic and also olive hair lotion. That was my transition process grin grin grin grin grin
I'm going to get that wild growth oil, I just checked out reviews and they've been amazing. So you still use the wild growth oil on your hair when it's braided? By the way, many reviews said that it kinda has a weird smell, true? What's the name of the olive oil lotion you use?

AqRiUs Age:

On my profile pic, that was a pic taken after 17months of locking my hair. 
Oh my gosh, do you mean you've had those locks for 17 months? If so, that's amazing!! I would love to get 'em since they last forever - very economical (college student  wink) but, if it's permanent, I'm not so sure.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by shilling(f): 3:12am On Apr 15, 2010
@ jellybean
Doesn't your hair shrink when you wash it? I only started relaxing my hair 3 years ago, and that's why I started. When I washed my hair, it shrunk really bad and was almost impossible to comb. Once my hairstylist was trying to comb out my hair and her comb broke lol.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Sissy3(f): 5:00am On Apr 15, 2010
thnks JB
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 9:05pm On Apr 15, 2010
shilling:

I'm going to get that wild growth oil, I just checked out reviews and they've been amazing. So you still use the wild growth oil on your hair when it's braided? By the way, many reviews said that it kinda has a weird smell, true? What's the name of the olive oil lotion you use.

Oh no,i don't use the wild growth anymore, it might mess your braids cos it makes the hair grow out really fast. yes it has a weird smell, i'd advise you use it before braiding and after taking out your braids. it's called organic root stimulator olive oil hair lotion.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Nobody: 9:25pm On Apr 15, 2010
[
shilling:

@ jellybean
Doesn't your hair shrink when you wash it?

yes it did so to solve it, i wash the braids before taking it out the next day,that way my hair doesn't shrink. smiley
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by shilling(f): 7:49am On Apr 16, 2010
Makes sense . . . thanks for the info!!

So why did u stop using the wild growth oil?
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by ubiaa5(f): 4:57pm On Apr 16, 2010
shilling:

I'm going to get that wild growth oil, I just checked out reviews and they've been amazing. So you still use the wild growth oil on your hair when it's braided? By the way, many reviews said that it kinda has a weird smell, true? What's the name of the olive oil lotion you use?
Oh my gosh, do you mean you've had those locks for 17 months? If so, that's amazing!! I would love to get 'em since they last forever - very economical (college student  wink) but, if it's permanent, I'm not so sure.
you shouldnt take the wild growth literally, according to the manufacturers website it is meant to tame new growth which usually comes out wild and unrully,so what it does is it soften the hair and make it manageable,i used it for a while a few yrs ago and noticed the softness,my growth rate was the same didnt notice any miraculous changes,not to discourage u,but just to let you know there is really no miracle when it come to gowing your hair just take good care of it,have a healthy hair care regimen and be patient it will grow.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by shilling(f): 9:37pm On Apr 16, 2010
Yeah, I get your point. All the vids I watched, and reviews I read, were kinda like a 60-40 thing - some people said it helped them with growth and some didn't notice anything too amazing. Well, that's what happens with every product.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Gamine(f): 9:55pm On Apr 16, 2010
Nice, nice! @Jellybean

After a year, my average hair length is 6inches,
a bit too slow for me, but hey, i cant complain.

Ive had my hair in the longest kinky braid you've ever seen
(folks keep asking if its my hair, i wish!) for the past four weeks.
Can't wait to see the length when i undo them in two months time.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by bluespice(f): 10:55pm On Apr 16, 2010
Gamine:

Nice, nice! @Jellybean

After a year, my average hair length is 6inches,
a bit too slow for me, but hey, i cant complain.

Ive had my hair in the longest kinky braid you've ever seen
(folks keep asking if its my hair, i wish!) for the past four weeks.
Can't wait to see the length when i undo them in two months time.
pics or it didnt happen! tongue
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Gamine(f): 11:12pm On Apr 16, 2010
The braids or my real hair, lol
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by bluespice(f): 11:27pm On Apr 16, 2010
well both will do just fine tongue
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by shilling(f): 11:42pm On Apr 16, 2010
Yeah, I get your point. All the vids I watched, and reviews I read, were kinda like a 60-40 thing - some people said it helped them with growth and some didn't notice anything too amazing. Well, that's what happens with every product.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Gamine(f): 12:36pm On Apr 17, 2010
Cant find any decent pic of my hair embarassed, but here is the kinky braids
spent one day doing them, and im gonna make them longer real soon too.

@Aqrius age

I want to dye my hair, what did you use?

Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Aladunni(f): 4:48pm On Apr 17, 2010
nice and timely thread here, its been almost eighteen years of relaxing and i think the hair is tired of too much chemicals, i intend scrapping the hair skin and start all over again. I really need your advice on what to do. My relaxed hair is up to my shoulders now but the frontal is another Mama Eko (all chopped off). Please can i really go ahead with the scapping and how well can i keep it and make the frontal as strong as the other parts? I need answers asap, pleeeeeeeaaaaase am a lil desperate.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Gamine(f): 7:55pm On Apr 17, 2010
Yup, 100% behind you, cut it all off
it would be the best decision you ever made.(regarding hair)

Theres nothing like a fresh start give your hair that.
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by bluespice(f): 9:49pm On Apr 17, 2010
omg!!! Gamine that is loooooong! how many packs of extensions did u use?
Re: Black Hair Does Grow. Let's Prove It! by Gamine(f): 1:05am On Apr 18, 2010
Lol. I used two and a half.

I removed one braid and tried to measure my hair length here

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Lady Wears 2 Different Shoes To A Shopping Mall (Photo) / Sere Wins Ugliest Man In Zimbabwe 2015 Beauty Pageant Show (PICS) / The Haircut I Ordered Vs The Haircut I Got (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.