Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,853 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:38 AM

Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? (1672 Views)

One Question To Ask your Girl-child Before Investing On Her Tertiary Education. / Is It Proper For A Wife To Wear A 'g-string'? Please Help / It Is Proper To Have Sex During Fasting Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Xion: 12:02am On Nov 24, 2014
I have a friend who visited his girl's house to meet her parents (he has serious intentions of marrying her). After he was served a meal which he ate, and asked different questions in a cordial manner (he answered all the questions accordingly). It was a warm reception, as the girl's dad proved to be jovial.
When he was about leaving, the girl's dad offered him 3000 naira as transport fare, which he reluctantly collected.
Do you think it was proper to have collected the cash? Please drop your comments

NB: my friend has a job, but isn't "there" yet, financially.
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by sunnydayasaba(m): 12:10am On Nov 24, 2014
No big deal, So long the man can afford to part with the money without any pain.

Father-inlaw buys their son-inlaw cars and houses, so no issue, Is also like his father too.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Xion: 12:15am On Nov 24, 2014
sunnydayasaba:
No big deal, So long the man can afford to part with the money without any pain.

Father-inlaw buys their son-inlaw cars and houses, so no issue, Is also like his father too.

I feel so too, but this is actually the first time they are meeting, and it's not some big cash o... I feel it's more of a test. Whether he passed it or not, I don't know.

NB: first impressions last
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by sunnydayasaba(m): 12:28am On Nov 24, 2014
Xion:

I feel so too, but this is actually the first time they are meeting, and it's not some big cash o... I feel it's more of a test. Whether he passed it or not, I don't know.

NB: first impressions last

First impressions last, But being once self also matters alot. If am in his shoes, even if am financially OKAY and he offers me the money, I will collect it over and over again. He's like a father to me, so if i can collect money from my DAD no matter the amount i have on me, then i will do same too.

Is good he collected it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by JEITO: 12:59am On Nov 24, 2014
You don't reject gifts from your inlaw else, they might think you are arrogant. At a later date, you can give them something better than what they offered you. But never reject their gifts whether it is the 1st meeting, or 10years after marriage.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by saintvc(m): 1:24am On Nov 24, 2014
No
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Dawumi(f): 8:42am On Nov 24, 2014
Personally,i think it's not proper.it's the guy that's supposed to give the in-law money and not in-law giving the guy.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 24, 2014
No big deal
Its not as if he went there without his transport money
To me its even a good sign that they like the boy
I personally wouldnt read any meaning to it, especially if they are the type of parents who are always "looking" after their kids friends anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 24, 2014
If it were a test..i will happily collect the money and durin a good time, buy the father an expensive wine.... 1-1

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Xion: 9:35pm On Nov 24, 2014
Cutehector4u:
If it were a test..i will happily collect the money and durin a good time, buy the father an expensive wine.... 1-1

I like the idea

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Alice07: 9:53pm On Nov 24, 2014
Xion xion XION, how many times I call you. You can lie. your friend abi what you are thinking could happen when you visit my father Xion xion XION, how many times I call you. You can lie. your friend abi what you are thinking could happen when you visit my father
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Xion: 9:59pm On Nov 24, 2014
Alice07:
Xion xion XION, how many times I call you. You can lie. your friend abi what you are thinking could happen when you visit my father Xion xion XION, how many times I call you. You can lie. your friend abi what you are thinking could happen when you visit my father

Continue, god weee see us...
Drop your comments joor
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by eazylifer(m): 10:09pm On Nov 24, 2014
No big deal actually...
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 24, 2014
Just imagine him rejecting the cash and doing so stubbornly even after persuasion. Can you imagine it?

There you have your answer.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Xion: 10:19pm On Nov 24, 2014
NairaMode:
Just imagine him rejecting the cash and doing so stubbornly even after persuasion. Can you imagine it?

There you have your answer.

Hmmmm. That'll be very rude... Thanks
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Hazardd(m): 6:49am On Nov 25, 2014
Dawumi:
Personally,i think it's not proper.it's the guy that's supposed to give the in-law money and not in-law giving the guy.
Why do mean dear?
this is like a Gift and maybe he knows why he gave him the money
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by wizard007(m): 7:26am On Nov 25, 2014
No biggy, I don't know why people make a fuss out of nothing, if your father in-law is richer than you nko, you want to keep throwing pure water inside an ocean abi? grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Highflyer3(m): 7:59am On Nov 25, 2014
Dawumi:
Quote the commandment/constitution/decree/law/tradition that states that.

Your opinion though
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by freecocoa(f): 9:05am On Nov 25, 2014
There's no big deal, he did the right thing by collecting it.

Sounds like something my dad would do, no matter how wealthy the person is, it's just him being a caring man.
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Xion: 10:24am On Nov 25, 2014
wizard007:
No biggy, I don't know why people make a fuss out of nothing, if your father in-law is richer than you nko, you want to keep throwing pure water inside an ocean abi? grin
Lol
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Xion: 10:25am On Nov 25, 2014
freecocoa:
There's no big deal, he did the right thing by collecting it.

Sounds like something my dad would do, no matter how wealthy the person is, it's just him being a caring man.

That's good
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Rosarie(f): 11:07am On Nov 25, 2014
small small see finish they enter.how u stasrt is how u will endup.it was xtrmly wrong for the man to offer him tp cos d boy wos prepared coming to c him and d boy wos foolish to collect.no matter how jovial dey will alwys be inlaws.since d deed has been done:cos some in law if u give dem dat chance dey will tk advantage of ur situation.even ur galfrnd will not b submissive.una nva c.d bros an sis go c una finish.marriage is wisdom and foundation.wen he is going for another visit he should buy win and tins worth dan dat 3#
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Xion: 12:58pm On Nov 25, 2014
Rosarie:
small small see finish they enter.how u stasrt is how u will endup.it was xtrmly wrong for the man to offer him tp cos d boy wos prepared coming to c him and d boy wos foolish to collect.no matter how jovial dey will alwys be inlaws.since d deed has been done:cos some in law if u give dem dat chance dey will tk advantage of ur situation.even ur galfrnd will not b submissive.una nva c.d bros an sis go c una finish.marriage is wisdom and foundation.wen he is going for another visit he should buy win and tins worth dan dat 3#

You actually feel the trend will continue till the girl's parents start to take advantage? Please make me understand
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 25, 2014
He did no wrong collecting the money. What I would recommend him doing though is to use the money, or part of it, to buy the man a gift, preferably a drink if the man drinks alcohol, next time he visits.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 25, 2014
When u are offered gifts by som1 related to som1 u know u av no choice than to accept. Or are u too big to be given a gift? Rejecting such gifts myt be an insult esp when the giver is way richer than the receiver. There's no harm in collecting.. If its a situation where the inlaws were the ones milking the guy dry ya'll gona complain, now inlaws are giving, una still dey complain. What will eva satisfy man?

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Xion: 12:42am On Nov 26, 2014
prettyboi1989:
When u are offered gifts by som1 related to som1 u know u av no choice than to accept. Or are u too big to be given a gift? Rejecting such gifts myt be an insult esp when the giver is way richer than the receiver. There's no harm in collecting.. If its a situation where the inlaws were the ones milking the guy dry ya'll gona complain, now inlaws are giving, una still dey complain. What will eva satisfy man?
Lol, I understand your point.
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Rosarie(f): 11:19am On Nov 26, 2014
Xion:

You actually feel the trend will continue till the girl's parents start to take advantage? Please make me understand
befre i replied re u married?if not i cnt xplain till u re.d foundation u lay will follow up.alot abeg d only tins is xperience.is ur choice to tk or nt .
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by Xion: 11:26am On Nov 26, 2014
Rosarie:
befre i replied re u married?if not i cnt xplain till u re.d foundation u lay will follow up.alot abeg d only tins is xperience.is ur choice to tk or nt .

Lol, I'm semi-married, I'll still like to get the explanation.
Re: Is It Proper To Take Transport Fare Offered To You By Your Girl's Parents? by MisterP: 6:02pm On Nov 26, 2014
Next time he's going, he should get something worth like 10k as a gift for the man.

Xion:
I have a friend who visited his girl's house to meet her parents (he has serious intentions of marrying her). After he was served a meal which he ate, and asked different questions in a cordial manner (he answered all the questions accordingly). It was a warm reception, as the girl's dad proved to be jovial.
When he was about leaving, the girl's dad offered him 3000 naira as transport fare, which he reluctantly collected.
Do you think it was proper to have collected the cash? Please drop your comments

NB: my friend has a job, but isn't "there" yet, financially.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ladies Vs Mother-inlaws / Help! A Suspected Dead Body Buried In My Dad's Structure / Please Help: Was Caught Right In The Act, What Do I Do? Wife Must Not Hear This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.