Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,383 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

Clicking Noise From My Engine Is It A Cause For Concern? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Clicking Noise From My Engine Is It A Cause For Concern? (2682 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Clicking Noise From My Engine Is It A Cause For Concern? by Cuzz: 2:44pm On Nov 24, 2014
I used to experience clicking noise coming out from my engine when moving from gear 1 to 2.They noise will stop immediately i enter the 3rd gear.i browse and check in google but they keep on saying its normal that the ABS system is initializing though not the same vehicle as mine.
I dont like the noise and am not convince its normal bcus my friends car doesn't do the same. The vehicle in question is Golf mk3 2.0 engine auto.
Re: Clicking Noise From My Engine Is It A Cause For Concern? by Melahou(m): 2:50pm On Nov 24, 2014
Sign that the fan belt will soon cut
Re: Clicking Noise From My Engine Is It A Cause For Concern? by AutosBay(m): 3:23pm On Nov 24, 2014
I would be a little concerned about the oil level. If the sound started after the oil had gone low, it could be a serious issue, such as valve tap noise caused by sticking lifters. That sound usually is constant, however. Hopefully you pulled the dip stick to ensure that the crankcase is full after adding one quart of oil. If not, please do.

Another concern is the power loss. This coupled with "clicking" could indicate an electrical spark short. This comes from bad spark plug wires and the "clicking: sound would come from an electrical arc from a cracked spark plug wire. The best way to check is to look under the hood at night with the engine running. Rev the engine a little to get the clicking sound and look for a light show around the plug wires. If there is arcing you should be able to see it at night. At any rate, if you rev up to 2 or 3K rpm and hear the sound while looking under the hood you might find the location by sound along. If you find a bad plug wire it is best to change them ALL. These need to be purchased at an auto supply store specifically for the car you have to ensure proper fit. They are easy to replace, just do them with the engine OFF and one-by-one. Remove one, find his exact length replacement and install it before moving to the next. Very easy.

CAUTION.. WORKING UNDER THE HOOD OF A CAR WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING IS DANGEROUS. USE CARE NOT TO TOUCH ANY MOVING PARTS AND BE MINDFUL OF LOOSE CLOTHING THAT COULD GET CAUGHT AND PULL YOU INTO THE ENGINE. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING! AVOID DISTRACTIONS AND USE COMMON SENSE!

If not a wire, it could be internal to the engine which is more serious. Listening with the hood up can lead to you a clue. If it is internal you are best to see a service center for professional assistance. Usually a good mechanic can have a look and give you a quote to repair in a few moments and without charge.
Re: Clicking Noise From My Engine Is It A Cause For Concern? by Cuzz: 3:42pm On Nov 24, 2014
AutosBay:
I would be a little concerned about the oil level. If the sound started after the oil had gone low, it could be a serious issue, such as valve tap noise caused by sticking lifters. That sound usually is constant, however. Hopefully you pulled the dip stick to ensure that the crankcase is full after adding one quart of oil. If not, please do.

Another concern is the power loss. This coupled with "clicking" could indicate an electrical spark short. This comes from bad spark plug wires and the "clicking: sound would come from an electrical arc from a cracked spark plug wire. The best way to check is to look under the hood at night with the engine running. Rev the engine a little to get the clicking sound and look for a light show around the plug wires. If there is arcing you should be able to see it at night. At any rate, if you rev up to 2 or 3K rpm and hear the sound while looking under the hood you might find the location by sound along. If you find a bad plug wire it is best to change them ALL. These need to be purchased at an auto supply store specifically for the car you have to ensure proper fit. They are easy to replace, just do them with the engine OFF and one-by-one. Remove one, find his exact length replacement and install it before moving to the next. Very easy.

CAUTION.. WORKING UNDER THE HOOD OF A CAR WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING IS DANGEROUS. USE CARE NOT TO TOUCH ANY MOVING PARTS AND BE MINDFUL OF LOOSE CLOTHING THAT COULD GET CAUGHT AND PULL YOU INTO THE ENGINE. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING! AVOID DISTRACTIONS AND USE COMMON SENSE!

If not a wire, it could be internal to the engine which is more serious. Listening with the hood up can lead to you a clue. If it is internal you are best to see a service center for professional assistance. Usually a good mechanic can have a look and give you a quote to repair in a few moments and without charge.
Thanks a lot,am suspecting the first issue you mentioned bt nt ruling out the second too. The reason am suspecting the first issue about oil is that the problem normally surfaced after few months of changing my engine oil. i actually checked my dip stick this morning before going to work and the gauge is just a bit below the normal gauge bt nt below the last line that indicates low which i thought is still within normal range. The funny thing is that i dnt top my oil till the next oil change which i normally do every 4 months. The distance to and fro my work place to home is just 10km and during weekends i may do 20km most. Bt upon all these i still notice that my oil is still within normal range from my dipstick check.
I will try and top the oil tomorrow but will look into the other issue of plug tonite.GOD BLESS.

(1) (Reply)

Don’t Break The Traffic Rules In Dubai / Which Pick Up Truck Is The Best / How Many Litres Of Fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.