Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,848 members, 7,806,398 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:45 PM

The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. (49934 Views)

Angry Woman Places ‘smelling Vagina’ Curse On Lady Who Slept With Her Husband / Angry Wife Exposes Chat Messages Between Her Husband And Other Women!!! / Why Are Nigerian Men Generally So Damn Sexist?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by babygirlfl: 7:43pm On Nov 24, 2014
Sometimes people refer to the black woman as the angry black woman. What do you think about this label on the black woman. Is it another racist word, a sexists word or just the truth. It would be nice if we justified our answer. Please no insults.
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 24, 2014
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by Stillfire: 8:05pm On Nov 24, 2014
Can we get some background info on how the term came about, before we as Nigerians who have no clue about race join in on the bandwagon because americans are using it? I think that's a good place to start. wink wink wink

11 Likes

Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by babygirlfl: 8:07pm On Nov 24, 2014
Stillfire:
Can we do some background info on how the term came about, before we as Nigerians who have no clue about race join in on the bandwagon because americans are using it? I think that's a good place to start. wink wink wink

I agree that it's a nice place to start. Kindly enlighten us.
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 24, 2014
This one na for African American women .

Naija version na the HeadandNeck crew women.

7 Likes

Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by Stillfire: 8:10pm On Nov 24, 2014
babygirlfl:

I agree that it's a nice place to start. Kindly enlighten us.

Lol, I have no idea. That is why I threw it out there. grin grin I don't have the time either to research on the topic. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by babygirlfl: 8:10pm On Nov 24, 2014
Chillisauce:

Lol
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by KanwuliaJara: 8:20pm On Nov 24, 2014
[size=20pt]TRUE!!!![/size]

If you are dealing with ANY BLACK MAN. . . YOU WILL BE ANGRY TOO! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13BiV4sIMGM

10 Likes

Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 24, 2014
"Angry black woman" is just like every other African American stereotype. The only difference is, it is popularized and promoted by black men.

Yeah, I wish you had gone into details about Jezebel, Sapphire and the black b1tch phenomenon. Just to avoid a bunch of ignorant comments.

4 Likes

Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by babygirlfl: 8:45pm On Nov 24, 2014
BananaBender:
"Angry black woman" is just like every other African American stereotype. The only difference is, it is popularized and promoted by black men.

Yeah, I wish you had gone into details about Jezebel, Sapphire and the black b1tch phenomenon. Just to avoid a bunch of ignorant comments.

True. I hear it mostly from black men.

I would have gone into more details if I knew more about it but I don't. I think I will know more by the time this topic is dealth with.
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by cococandy(f): 8:53pm On Nov 24, 2014
Chillisauce:

haha

1 Like

Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by armyofone(m): 9:00pm On Nov 24, 2014
Not too such but I think as a black woman, they want us to always wear that 'smile' on our face even if you have to fake it. To not show how upset/angry we are and not be confrontational.
I remembered always greeting my instructors and they replied with that funny temp long drawn lips... grin
That is what they want us to do, keep it in and smile.

babygirlfl:
Sometimes people refer to the black woman as the angry black woman. What do you think about this label on the black woman. Is it another racist word, a sexists word or just the truth. It would be nice if we justified our answer. Please no insults.

2 Likes

Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by coogar: 9:09pm On Nov 24, 2014
babygirlfl:

black women are mostly always angry. it must have to do with their economic situation. on the financial ladder, the black woman is the poorest....poverty breeds frustration, coupled with the fact that their male counterparts don't seem to be pulling their weights too.

the ones who do are quickly kicked out through divorce, kids get raised without their fathers, the kids then go into crime & a vicious circle of poverty is re-established. black women that are truly happy are very few.

9 Likes

Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by Nobody: 9:22pm On Nov 24, 2014
babygirlfl:

True. I hear it mostly from black men.

I would have gone into more details if I knew more about it but I don't. I think I will know more by the time this topic is dealth with.

The first “black women” American audiences saw on the American stage were minstrel “Negro wenches.”
These were basically white people covering themselves in black charcoal and performed as black people. They mocked and painted black people as dim-witted, lazy, buffoonish, superstitious, happy-go-lucky, and musical. They painted d black woman as deformed, loudmouthed, masculine and undeserving of the protections afforded to white “ladies” in American society.
Jezebel characters on the minstrel show were often called “mulatto” or “yellow gal,” were fair-skinned, disloyal, greedy and hypersexual but not portrayed as beautiful.
These blustering women yelled at their spouses and acted loud and inappropriately in otherwise genteel, public spaces to demonstrate all the ways that they were different from white women. These stereotypes served the needs of a slave regime that wanted to justify the sexual exploitation of enslaved women by painting them as Jezebels. (the biblical wanton woman whose promiscuity and controlling nature was her supposed undoing) The rapes of enslaved women could be laughed away on a minstrel stage that showed black women as temptresses who wanted nothing but money and sexual attention.

Amos and Andy show popularized the "Angry black woman" phenomenon as someone who is always furious and upset. The black woman character in the show was Saphire - the emasculating wife of George. Amos ’n’ Andy, with its dim-witted, bumbling, oblivious black male characters and angry black wife, was a clean-faced, toned down version of the 1800s version of the black women first depicted on the minstrel show.

You wonder why Shymexx and co consider the black woman as emasculating, with a high testosterone level? (Like he always accuses me of when I call him out on his chauvinism)
It dates back to mid slavery. Mammy is what a black woman who worked as a nanny for a white family was called. Mammy often had physical attributes that the Western culture would associate with masculinity. The mammy was usually a grossly overweight, large-breasted woman who is desexualized, maternal, and nonthreatening to white people but hostile towards men. Many of these characteristics were denied to African American female slaves but were generally attributed to the mammy. You remember Aunt Jemina on your syrup or pancake mix? Manny is just that. (P.S: The mammy ish is deep, and it is more broad than the stereotypical Angry black woman)

9 Likes

Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by KanwuliaJara: 9:24pm On Nov 24, 2014
You nor see 'niggas' wey dem nor train well dey pursue old woman wey dey mein her business for road to make fun of her? grin

See the USSSSSSSSSSELESS BOYS. . . ?

No respect at all o!

Twa!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGfT_AvJeJ0
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by KanwuliaJara: 9:27pm On Nov 24, 2014
NL BLACK WOMEN! cheesy
Who will argue to SHUT you up. . . with their ITK religious, holier-than-thou attitudes! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_OCxh769Vs
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by coogar: 9:28pm On Nov 24, 2014
KanwuliaJara:
You nor see 'niggas' wey dem nor train well dey pursue old woman wey dey mein her business for road to make fun of her? grin

No respect at all o!

Twa!!!!

buhahahaha....

they look like happy slapping boys
that would be somewhere in south london. she's lucky she wasn't slapped. the woman must be very angry - i like her use of the F word.
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by KanwuliaJara: 9:33pm On Nov 24, 2014
coogar:

buhahahaha....

they look like happy slapping boys
that would be somewhere in south london. she's lucky she wasn't slapped. the woman must be very angry - i like her use of the F word.

They just followed the woman around and started using their phones on her because of the way she looked!

The woman na GANGSTA-GRANDMA RED O! grin

3 Likes

Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by coogar: 9:39pm On Nov 24, 2014
KanwuliaJara:

They just followed the woman around and started using their phones on her because of the way she looked!

The woman na see GANGSTA RED O! grin

happy slapping is a fad in that part of the city. teenage boys/girls with cameras would target an innocent man or woman & dish him/her the dirtiest slap. they move in large groups, some on bikes and some holding ferocious looking dogs.
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by babygirlfl: 9:42pm On Nov 24, 2014
BananaBender:

The first “black women” American audiences saw on the American stage were minstrel “Negro wenches.”
These were basically white people covering themselves in black charcoal and performed as black people. They mocked and painted black people as dim-witted, lazy, buffoonish, superstitious, happy-go-lucky, and musical. They painted d black woman as deformed, loudmouthed, masculine and undeserving of the protections afforded to white “ladies” in American society.
Jezebel characters on the minstrel show were often called “mulatto” or “yellow gal,” were fair-skinned, disloyal, greedy and hypersexual but not portrayed as beautiful.
These blustering women yelled at their spouses and acted loud and inappropriately in otherwise genteel, public spaces to demonstrate all the ways that they were different from white women. These stereotypes served the needs of a slave regime that wanted to justify the sexual exploitation of enslaved women by painting them as Jezebels. (the biblical wanton woman whose promiscuity and controlling nature was her supposed undoing) The rapes of enslaved women could be laughed away on a minstrel stage that showed black women as temptresses who wanted nothing but money and sexual attention.

Amos and Andy show popularized the "Angry black woman" phenomenon as someone who is always furious and upset. The black woman character in the show was Saphire - the emasculating wife of George. Amos ’n’ Andy, with its dim-witted, bumbling, oblivious black male characters and angry black wife, was a clean-faced, toned down version of the 1800s version of the black women first depicted on the minstrel show.

You wonder why Shymexx and co consider the black woman as emasculating, with a high testosterone level? (Like he always accuses me of when I call him out on his chauvinism)
It dates back to mid slavery. Mammy is what a black woman who worked as a nanny for a white family was called. Mammy often had physical attributes that the Western culture would associate with masculinity. The mammy was usually a grossly overweight, large-breasted woman who is desexualized, maternal, and nonthreatening to white people but hostile towards men. Many of these characteristics were denied to African American female slaves but were generally attributed to the mammy. You remember Aunt Jemina on your syrup or pancake mix? Manny is just that. (P.S: The mammy ish is deep, and it is more broad than the stereotypical Angry black woman)

Interesting. Thanks for this.
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by lepasharon(f): 9:48pm On Nov 24, 2014
KanwuliaJara:

No respect at all o!

Twa!!!!

Lmaaaoo I have been looking for this video looooool grin

That is somebodys african mum though !

and what possessed her to wear orange when she is that size ?
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by nitlad: 9:48pm On Nov 24, 2014
Stillfire: Can we get some background info on how the term came about, before we as Nigerians who have no clue about race join in on the bandwagon because americans are using it? I think that's a good place to start. wink wink wink

What do you mean 'Nigerians have no clue about race', in a world where Nigerians suffer arguably the most ridiculous of racial discriminations?

1 Like

Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by KanwuliaJara: 9:48pm On Nov 24, 2014
coogar:

happy slapping is a fad in that part of the city. teenage boys/girls with cameras would target an innocent man or woman & dish him/her the dirtiest slap. they move in large groups, some on bikes and some holding ferocious looking dogs.

How many the woman go slap? grin
Just wrong! angry
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by KanwuliaJara: 9:50pm On Nov 24, 2014
Another ANGRY BLACK WOMAN SPEAKS OUT! wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UAgVCT-AdM
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 24, 2014
KanwuliaJara:

Kola Olaosebikan! I like her, though she was a lil misinformed in this video.

You cannot compare Kola to the chubby woman in orange. C'mon! grin grin grin
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by KanwuliaJara: 9:57pm On Nov 24, 2014
BananaBender:

Kola Olaosebikan! I like her, though she was a lil misinformed in this video.

You cannot compare Kola to the chubby woman in orange. C'mon! grin grin grin

She is 100% correct! cool
Prove her wrong! kiss

I am just showing you different kinds of ANGRY BLACK WOMEN o! cheesy
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by babygirlfl: 10:01pm On Nov 24, 2014
armyofone:
Not too such but I think as a black woman, they want us to always wear that 'smile' on our face even if you have to fake it. To not show how upset/angry we are and not be confrontational.
I remembered always greeting my instructors and they replied with that funny temp long drawn lips... grin
That is what they want us to do, keep it in and smile.

I think I understand what you mean. The fake smile the white women wear.
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by babygirlfl: 10:02pm On Nov 24, 2014
coogar:

black women are mostly always angry. it must have to do with their economic situation. on the financial ladder, the black woman is the poorest....poverty breeds frustration, coupled with the fact that their male counterparts don't seem to be pulling their weights too.

the ones who do are quickly kicked out through divorce, kids get raised without their fathers, the kids then go into crime & a vicious circle of poverty is re-established. black women that are truly happy are very few.

Interesting
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by bennyrazz: 10:06pm On Nov 24, 2014
chewing bitter cola
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by Stillfire: 10:15pm On Nov 24, 2014
nitlad:

What do you mean 'Nigerians have no clue about race', in a world where Nigerians suffer arguably the most ridiculous of racial discriminations?

What we suffer from is country discrimination as a result of our extra 'pilfering' activities grin. Don't reduce that to the more ingrained social injustice ever recorded of man.
The issue of Race/Racial discrimination is something Nigerians in Nigeria are not conversant with.
So what I mean about no clue about race is that we are not taught the historical and modern issues surrounding race especially in the Americas.
If we should pull up ten Nigerians and ask them why are the blacks in America poor, 9 out of 10 would say they are lazy without understanding the system has been made in such a way that limits the black american.

2 Likes

Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by coogar: 10:24pm On Nov 24, 2014
KanwuliaJara:

i can this girl in the video thrashing nigeria with koboko is stillfire.

she made plenty of sense......but then the truth is bitter. some nationalists won't agree with her.
Re: The Angry Black Woman: Racist, Sexist Or Truth. by KanwuliaJara: 10:31pm On Nov 24, 2014
coogar:

i can this girl in the video thrashing nigeria with koboko is stillfire.

she made plenty of sense......but then the truth is bitter. some nationalists won't agree with her.

What I like is her composure.
I wish I had it!
Too late now! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Three Kids Abandoned As Husband, Wife Were Sent To Prisons In Lagos (pic) / PHOTO: Man Who Abandoned Wife For Having 3 Set Of Twins Returns Home / Too Hard To Believe Marriage Break Up Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.