Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,840 members, 7,802,690 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:57 PM

Usmanov: Wenger Not Learning - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Usmanov: Wenger Not Learning (577 Views)

Wenger Must Accept Mistakes And Strengthen Every Position – Usmanov / Arsene Wenger-not Signing Cristiano Ronaldo And Didier Drogba Still Hurts Today / Usmanov Blames Former Arsenal Owners For 9-year Trophy Drought (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Usmanov: Wenger Not Learning by Sultan5(m): 10:10pm On Nov 24, 2014
Arsenal's second largest shareholder Alisher Usmanov has told Arsene Wenger to start learning from his mistakes.

Usmanov says the Gunners need to strengthen the entire team to compete with the best in Europe, and he insists the money is available to Wenger to do just that.

The Russian billionaire, who owns 30 per cent of the club, says he remains a huge admirer of Wenger, but believes the Frenchman is letting his principles stand in the way of the club's success.

Arsenal have lifted just one trophy in nine-and-a-half years and a 2-1 defeat at home to Manchester United on Sunday marked the team's worst start to a season since 1982.

Usmanov told CNBC: "Arsene Wenger is one of the greatest coaches, not just of European, but of world football. But we have a Russian proverb which goes, 'Even an old lady can have a roof falling on her'.

"Everybody makes mistakes. He can make mistakes and I know as you age it is more difficult, more challenging to accept one's mistakes.

“The potential of the team is there but there is no critical evaluation of mistakes and they need to acknowledge them, because no genius can retain the same level of genius if they do not acknowledge mistakes.

"It's only when you admit your mistakes that you can get rid of them. I wish this for my club.

"Nothing bad is happening apart from repeating the same result - we keep being in the middle of the Champions League but we only lose the first play-off games. Some may be happy with that but as a share-holder, I am not."

Scrutiny
Wenger's position as manager has come under increasing scrutiny in recent seasons as the team has drifted further away from a serious challenge in either the Premier League or the Champions League.

Usmanov though does not have a direct say on Wenger’s position as he has not been offered a place on the board, a situation he admits he finds "frustrating."

Arsenal spent £35million to sign Alexis Sanchez in the summer, a year after breaking the club's transfer record to buy Mesut Ozil for £42.4million.

Usmanov insists, however, that money is available to add more quality and Wenger must not allow his principles to translate into "lost possibilities".

"Does (Wenger) have money or not? There is officially money in the club," Usmanov said.

"My opinion - and I tell it openly - we need to strengthen every position to play on the level of such teams in [the] UK as Chelsea and Manchester City, in Europe like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Paris St Germain and other clubs."

Source: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9578255/premier-league-alisher-usmanov-says-arsene-wenger-not-learning-from-mistakes

(1) (Reply)

UEFA Champions League Knockout Phase: Any Hope For Premiership Clubs? / Newcastle Vs Arsenal 6:30pm / Cleaning, Fumigation & Facility Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.