Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,875 members, 7,806,511 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) (24917 Views)

UNBELEIVABLE- Nigerian Hospital Stockpiles Corpses In The Open (pictures) / Why! Why! Why! Nigerian Hospital In A Big Disarray! / Nigerian Hospital Closes Hole In Heart… Without Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Naijasinglegirl: 7:36am On Nov 25, 2014
Mid last week, my temperature was running high and since I am clearly not a fan of hospitals, I thought it was best to limit myself to the confines of my room until the sickness disappears but my mom was having none of that. She dragged me to the hospital.
My first reaction when I got there was "WTH! This is crowded."
I signed up for a medical consultation and found a place to sit.

After 3 hours of waiting, the bad tempered nurse at the reception area called my name.

Thank God, I thought.

Before she let me into the doctor's office, she put me on a height scale, weight scale and proceeded to pump my BP.

"Nurse, Its just fever not a modelling audition. Are all these necessary?" I asked giggling.
She frowned at me and increased the pressure till the friction numbed my arms. That was her way of telling me to shut the hell up.

I was not surprised to say the least.
Its no news some Nigerian female nurses are far from polite. Especially those ones with big buttocks that are always roaming from ward to ward with a tray of injections, looking for an innocent patient to stab.
Like someone said on twitter, its only in Nigeria the nurses would wake you up from sleep to give you sleeping pills.
When I got into the examination room, I was expecting some sort of gadget to be used on me but everything was done MANUALLY. The doctor even used his palm to gauge my temperature rather than a thermometer.

Oshey baddest doctor!!!

"So what is wrong with you?" He asked.
"That is your job doctor. If I knew I wouldn't be here."
No, that was not my reply. Clearly in Nigerian hospitals, you are expected to diagnose your problem in your house so you don't waste the doctor's time at the hospital.

"Fever." I replied.

For all I know it could be a fever disguising as TB. God Forbids!
A cancerous fever. God Forbids!
A brain tumour fever. God Forbids!!
Ebola Fever. God Forbids!!!

But no, not in our hospitals. The first rule they operate in is,
"All facts surrounding a fever must be twisted and twisted until the final diagnosis reads MALARIA."

Now I made his job easier, he began manipulating my replies.

"How is it doing you?" He asked.
Na wa o. See question.
I used my palm to massaged my chin for a few seconds and then I said,
"Its doing me somehow oh."
"You have headache?"
"No"
"Loss of appetite?"
"I guess."
"Cough?"
"No."
"Cold?"
"Small."
He turned to my mom this time. "Madam, she has malaria!" He exclaimed.

*sigh* As usual. Don't we all?

It seemed he forgot to ask me when last I saw my period in his line of questions. My heart broke some years back when a malaria diagnosing doctor threw the question at a twelve year old Naijasinglegirl.
The only diagnosis these doctors are good at making are malaria, pregnancy and HIV.

All my life, whenever I go to the hospital, I always return home with the same malaria declaration after the doctor has assessed me MANUALLY. Sometimes when the doctor is in a good mood, he takes my hard earned blood and upgrades me to typhoid. This is the reason my dad almost bundled me to a native doctor when a medical doctor told him the chances of his fragile 5-year old Naijasinglegirl surviving malaria were 20:80.
At least native doctors have high-tech equipment like a calabash for skyping with sango, a speaking mirror and no-nonsense oracles.
Even when I roll into the hospital from the expressway with green blood dripping from my nose, blue mucus dripping from my mouth and down syndrome attitude, Its still malaria!

Back to our story.
It was time for drug administration. My favourite part where the doctor gets to clear the shelves of the in-house pharmacy for me. The closer the drugs are to their expiration date, the more generous he gets.
Five transparent nylon of drugs were given to me. First contained several tablets of paracetamol, second contained those medium size multi vitamins, third contained more than twenty tiny yellow tablets, fourth contained a green coloured anti malaria tablets and the last one, orange vitamic C.

"Take all of it. Directives are on the pack for your dosage." The doctor commanded.

All ke? He didn't even have conscience.
That was when I gave into a hysterical laughter. I laughed to the point that I felt the fever leaving me in annoyance.

When I walked back to the reception, I wanted to grab a mic to announce to the impatient prospective patients to return home. After all, their problem is either pregnancy or malaria.
Finally home, it was time for me to be my own doctor as usual. I tossed everything into my trashcan except for my vitamic C which became my hourly tomtom.

Until our health care system improves, I know what to do when sickness strikes again.

Migraine : Alabukun powder
Headache : Panadol
Catarhh : Procold
Purging : Flagyl
Boil : Robb
Waist pain : Aboniki balm
Madness : Native doctor
Dislocated bone : Pastor Chris
HIV : Prophet T B Joshua

325 Likes 49 Shares

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Naijasinglegirl: 7:37am On Nov 25, 2014

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Gboliwe: 7:43am On Nov 25, 2014
Hahahahhahahahahahahahahhaahaha. Thank you for this healthy laugh this morning jor. You are such a funny writer.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 7:44am On Nov 25, 2014
Lmao

Your stories...always on point.

Just wondering why you're this stingy tongue....You dropped a post and still occupied the firstus o comentus throne.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by youngds: 7:48am On Nov 25, 2014
undecided life is too short to read all dis ™ summarize

4 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 25, 2014
youngds:
nigga, it's worth the read.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Naijasinglegirl: 7:51am On Nov 25, 2014
youngds:
I see. And people wonder why you are still writing JAMB at 40?

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Naijasinglegirl: 7:52am On Nov 25, 2014
blizard44:
Lmao

Your stories...always on point.

Just wondering why you're this stingy tongue....You dropped a post and still occupied the firstus o comentus throne.
I promise never to do it again

3 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Tallesty1(m): 7:52am On Nov 25, 2014
If all singlenaijagirls get brain like you eehhh.

'em for no dey single

cheesycheesycheesy

6 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by saxwizard(m): 8:29am On Nov 25, 2014
Nice story line i guess......

Are dey real

The last time i was at hospital cant even rememba ..like 20yrs bak
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 25, 2014
Naijasinglegirl:
I promise never to do it again

no biggy grin

have a nice day.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by PapiWata: 9:17am On Nov 25, 2014
Naijasinglegirl:

[size=14pt]
Its no news some Nigerian female nurses are far from polite. Especially those ones with big buttocks that are always roaming from ward to ward with a tray of injections, looking for an innocent patient to stab. [/size]

Fear of the big yansh nursing mama is the beginning of wisdom, for sure. Who no sabi run because of sickness, go run by force.

5 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by olashas(f): 9:47am On Nov 25, 2014
Thanks for making me laugh grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by helen4(f): 1:42pm On Nov 25, 2014
Thanks for the laugh ooo. People around me were just looking at me as if i get horn for head.

6 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Oduduwaboy(m): 1:53pm On Nov 25, 2014
I tried to laugh but the laughter did not come because the story was actually not quite funny . Next time sha !

17 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by dominique(f): 2:02pm On Nov 25, 2014
Naijasinglegirl won't kee me with laugh o grin

But seriously, our hospitals have become glorified self mefication centers. Last time I went to a GH with breathing difficulties, the doc just asked questions here and there then gave me antibiotics and other pills without any test. I fear for naija hospitals o.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 25, 2014
Hahahahaha!! I'm dying here, thanks op thanks lol

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by armadeo(m): 3:26pm On Nov 25, 2014
Naijasinglegirl:

At least native doctors have high-tech equipment like a calabash for skyping with sango, a speaking mirror and no-nonsense oracles.

The closer the drugs are to their expiration date, the more generous he gets.

You are comically insane. I laughed and laughed.

10 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by youngds: 3:27pm On Nov 25, 2014
Naijasinglegirl:
I see. And people wonder why you are still writing JAMB at 40?

hahahahahah haahhaahah
Nice one!!
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by abinoam: 3:40pm On Nov 25, 2014
grin grin grin OP's account is hilarious. You just put a smile on my gloomy face. Thank you.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by defendedvictim(m): 9:37am On Nov 26, 2014
grin nice piece. I remember working at a pharrmacy during one of my hols. If a patient comes in with an ailment I knw little or nothing abt, my first question will be 'when last did u treat malaria and typhoid?'. D funny part is, they almost always felt better after all.

6 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 5:03am On Nov 27, 2014
Hilarious!!!

2 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 5:07am On Nov 27, 2014
defendedvictim:
grin nice piece. I remember working at a pharrmacy during one of my hols. If a patient comes in with an ailment I knw little or nothing abt, my first question will be 'when last did u treat malaria and typhoid?'. D funny part is, they almost always felt better after all.
I can imagine grin

3 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Naijasinglegirl: 6:37am On Nov 27, 2014
defendedvictim:
exactly what that doctor did
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by PapiWata: 6:50am On Nov 27, 2014
Naijasinglegirl:
exactly what that doctor did

Naijasingle Girl your comedic writing skills are a true gift, and if you aren't doing so already on a part-time basis, I would like to suggest that you parlay that literary flair into writing for paid publication in some form, be that on paper, or on the net.

That'll be ten quid for the unsolicited free advice. Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Naijasinglegirl: 12:36pm On Nov 27, 2014
PapiWata:

Naijasingle Girl your comedic writing skills are a true gift, and if you aren't doing so already on a part-time basis, I would like to suggest that you parlay that literary flair into writing for paid publication in some form, be that on paper, or on the net.

That'll be ten quid for the unsolicited free advice. Than you.
thank you grin
PapiWata:

That'll be ten quid for the unsolicited free advice. Than you.
thank you
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by saintneo(m): 11:46am On Dec 02, 2014
Wow! This writer is good and crazy. Following you and bookmark-ing your website.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by NOIBMUUL(m): 2:43pm On Dec 02, 2014
Naijasinglegirl:

Until our health care system improves, I know what to do when sickness strikes again.

Migraine : Alabukun powder
Headache : Panadol
Catarhh : Procold
Purging : Flagyl
Boil : Robb
Waist pain : Aboniki balm
Madness : Native doctor
Dislocated bone : Pastor Chris
HIV : Prophet T B Joshua

How do you treat KONJI sickness when it strikes?

13 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by MrWhoKnows(m): 3:06pm On Dec 02, 2014
I acted a lil bit crazy 2day n by d powers confered on me,i hereby hold u responsible.Tenks babe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Naijasinglegirl: 3:56pm On Dec 02, 2014
NOIBMUUL:

How do you treat KONJI sickness when it strikes?
drink lipton and cover yourself with the blood of Jesus.

17 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by stepo707: 4:31pm On Dec 02, 2014
I smell front page.nice write up though
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Dnaz(m): 5:39pm On Dec 02, 2014
U had malaria and d doctor got d diagnosis right so what is ur problem. U walk into a doctor's office and expect him to automatically know what is wrong with u without asking questions, please do u think u came to see a native doctor ? We live in d tropics so 90% of fevers is due to malaria, but you want him to run tests that u cannot even afford. Later u curse him for billing you too much. It's people like you that get deceived by the quacks who use computers to ascribed funny diseases to people. Diagnosis involves history, physical examination and then investigation in that order but u want him to jump to the third. I am tired of Nigerian patients. U call ur Nigerian trained doctors quacks only to run abroad and be treated by the same Nigerian trained doctors. Pathetic nation

52 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Advantages Of Swallowing Cum / I Am 22 And I Don't Have Beard. What Could Be The Problem? / Benefits Of Zobo Made Without Sugar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.