Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,949 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

Do's And Dont Of Importation - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do's And Dont Of Importation (10834 Views)

Auto Parts Business,the Do's And Dont / Get A Free Ebook: Complete A-z Guide Of Importation Business / Secret Of Importation Business Of Laptop,blackberry At Cheap Price Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do's And Dont Of Importation by jaydee87(m): 9:38am On Nov 25, 2014
Good day fellow importers,
I know we all want to make it big in this our line of business and be a source of impact to others
but the road is not always smooth as the pros make it seem, I know we want to make a million
from importation but its not easy and you might never hit the mark,
I know we all want to make sales but we might never sale above 50% of our goods.
Importation is like a study and you have to be updated and know the do's and Dont before venturing
into the trade or lose you will definitely run at loss.
THINGS YOU SHOULD DO:
Firstly you need knowledge to survive in this trade
Secondly you need Information so you can be updated
Thirdly you need a tutor to guide you on the right path
Fourthly you make research
Fifth know what works for you

THINGS YOU SHOULDNOT DO:
Firstly Never believe you know it all
Secondly Never do follow follow ( because tutucious made a sale of 800k does not mean u too will make same sale selling the same thing)
Thirdly You can't do it yourself you need someone to guide you right (we have many ppl that can put you tru just pick one who you are comfortable with and let him/her put you tru)
Fourthly I made over 500k selling socks early this year does not mean you too will make same amount (you might make more or not make any money atall.)
Lastly What work for me might not work for you so find your niche and build yourself from there....

Thanks to those of you that made importation a honey comb for everyone to lick the honey from you to you. can't mention names cos different people helped in their own way but if you have helped God bless you so much....
You can add your own do's and dont too to open our eyes some more...
have a great day colleagues....

6 Likes

Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by tutucious(f): 12:40pm On Nov 25, 2014
jaydee87:
Good day fellow importers,
I know we all want to make it big in this our line of business and be a source of impact to others
but the road is not always smooth as the pros make it seem, I know we want to make a million
from importation but its not easy and you might never hit the mark,
I know we all want to make sales but we might never sale above 50% of our goods.
Importation is like a study and you have to be updated and know the do's and Dont before venturing
into the trade or lose you will definitely run at loss.
THINGS YOU SHOULD DO:
Firstly you need knowledge to survive in this trade
Secondly you need Information so you can be updated
Thirdly you need a tutor to guide you on the right path
Fourthly you make research
Fifth know what works for you

THINGS YOU SHOULDNOT DO:
Firstly Never believe you know it all
Secondly Never do follow follow ( because tutucious made a sale of 800k does not mean u too will make same sale selling the same thing)
Thirdly You can't do it yourself you need someone to guide you right (we have many ppl that can put you tru just pick one who you are comfortable with and let him/her put you tru)
Fourthly I made over 500k selling socks early this year does not mean you too will make same amount (you might make more or not make any money atall.)
Lastly What work for me might not work for you so find your niche and build yourself from there....

Thanks to those of you that made importation a honey comb for everyone to lick the honey from you to you. can't mention names cos different people helped in their own way but if you have helped God bless you so much....
You can add your own do's and dont too to open our eyes some more...
have a great day colleagues....

you wrote well... I have also made some losses when i started last year. so its not always rosy. and please when u meet someone to mentor u, learn to be patient and nice. good luck

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by jaydee87(m): 1:20pm On Nov 25, 2014
open your eyes and follow instructions cos its full of ups and down...
in my years of importation I have not really lost except wen I made a order for a friend and dint by the product
but in the long run I still made a gain from the product cos I sold it for more to another person......
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by mekaboy(m): 1:48pm On Nov 25, 2014
All the things u listed as things u should do, are all summed up in the word research, so was more like repeating the same thing. But thanks for your contribution. Hope u dont have an e-book ready for sale.

1 Like

Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by jaydee87(m): 11:11pm On Nov 25, 2014
mekaboy:
All the things u listed as things u should do, are all summed up in the word research, so was more like repeating the same thing. But thanks for your contribution. Hope u dont have an e-book ready for sale.
good u noticed this cos that's the major thing needed to succeed in importation research and guidance.
to your question about eBook I have bin selling my eBook even before joining nairaland and holding seminars... what prompted this write-up is comment from ppl I read here and notice ppl want to do exactly wat someone else is doing and forget that wat worked for me might not work for you..
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by Danielakonic: 11:43am On Nov 26, 2014
REMOVED!!!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by mindtricks: 12:37pm On Nov 26, 2014
Danielakonic:
I WILL ALSO LIKE TO MAKE A LITTLE IMPACT ON THIS DISCUSSION.

[/b]PLEASE STOP WASTING MONEY BUYING DIRECTLY FROM ALIEXPRESS, BECAUSE THESE SELLERS ON ALI MAKE ALMOST DOUBLE THE COST PRICE FROM YOU.[b]... (AND IF YOU WILL, JUST MAKE SURE YOU PRICE THE ITEM VERY WELL).

I HAVE THIS SUPPLIER/SELLER THAT I ALWAYS USE IN BUYING THINGS FROM OTHER CHINA LOCATIONS OR SITES LIKE [/b]TAOBAO, JD, 1688, ALIBABA, YUPOO ETC ETC..[b] I HAVE BEEN USING THIS SELLER FOR A LONG TIME NOW TO PURCHASE MY ITEMS ON THESE SITES EVEN USED HER TO PURCHASE A PRESSURE WASHER FROM CHINA WORTH 200K.

I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT YOUR IMPORTATION BUSINESS WILL YIELD MORE FOR YOU THAN BUYING ON [/b]ALIEXPRESS[b]... YOU'LL GET TO KNOW THAT ITEMS ON ALIEXPRESS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE COMPARED TO WHEN SHE MAKE THE TRANSACTIONS FOR YOU... JUST ADD HER CONTACT TO COMPARE PRICES.

HERE IS HOW I DO IT.
1. I LOOK ON ALIEXPRESS ON WHICH EVER ITEM I WANT TO BUY. E.G LADIES HEELS
2. I'LL SEND THE PICTURE TO HER AND SHE'LL GET BACK TO ME IF ITS AVAILABLE OR NOT AND THE SIZES AVAILABLE.
3. AFTER CHATTING ON THE PRICE, SHE'LL SEND ME A LINK TO MAKE THE [/b]PAYMENT[b] TO HER ON HER ALIEXPRESS ACCOUNT WITHOUT CONFIRMING IT AND SHE'LL START PROCESSING IT.
4. I LOG ON TO ALIEXPRESS AND CLICK ON CONFIRM ORDER RECEIVED AFTER I HAD RECEIVED MY PACKAGE IN NIGERIA.

SO WITH THIS, I THINK YOU CAN NEVER LOOSE OR GET SCAMMED SINCE THE TRANSACTION IS STILL WITHIN ALIEXPRESS ESCROW SERVICE.

CONTACT
FOR EASY CHAT, YOU CAN CHAT HER ON QQ CHAT (2741271630)
WhatsApp on - +8613388667926

I GUESS I'VE DONE SOMETHING SOME PEEPS SHLD BENEFIT FROM. wink

cool Nice one bro!
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by jaydee87(m): 11:06am On Nov 27, 2014
tanks for the info bro...
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by ladypinkky(f): 11:29am On Nov 27, 2014
Thank you God bless you
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by Tectono: 2:22am On Dec 09, 2014
For more information on import management, operations and documentation, click: http://tectono..com/2014/09/nigeria-business-review-in-conjunction_6.html
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by jaydee87(m): 5:27pm On Dec 12, 2014
ladypinkky:
Thank you God bless you
HE will surely bless you too...
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by adebanjok(m): 11:09pm On Dec 12, 2014
@jaydee87 here is adebanjo the guy dat requested for ur assistance THANKs
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by TDstarr: 3:14pm On Dec 13, 2014
س
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by mastercee(m): 3:14pm On Dec 13, 2014
I have met several people, asking me about what the importation business is all about, they all want to know a thing or two about how the business works, so I think it’s a good idea to write on the frequently asked questions about the importation business. Most of the topics I discuss in this post are response to such questions, and I hope it would also answer newbies questions on what the importation business is all about.

WHO?: The “who?” question is always a funny one to answer, often, people ask me, who can venture into the importation business? Must the person be filthy rich, must he or she know somebody abroad, e.t.c, this questions are somewhat funny, but the clear cut answer to it is this; as long as you can read and write, as long as you can make use of the internet effectively, as long as you can promote your goods through the right channel, then no matter how old, young, poor or rich you are, you can venture into the mini importation business, in fact the issue of being rich is out of it, all you need is a little capital to kick start your business.

Capital: When people hear importation, the first thing that comes to mind is huge capital, this does not only discourage newbies from venturing into the business, it also makes the idea of importation business a very cumbersome one. However, mini importation business does not require a huge some on money. You can kick start a successful importation business with less than #20,000, and before you know it, you would be making double of your investment capital. In a clear cut manner, I would like to point out that, the importation business DOES NOT require a huge sum of capital. All you need is a proper guide with the right idea.

Goods: Just like any other business, before you start, you need to deliberate on what you would be selling; this is probably the first step in starting a successful business. The same method works for the importation business. You need to make an extensive research on what to sell. This is where problems set in for newbies, often they import flashy, expensive items with little prospect of making good sales, at the end of the day, they end up stocking goods that would hold up their investment capital. The importation business is a dynamic business; it deals with season, geographical location and budget. When deciding on what to buy, consideration must be given to how much people are willing to invest in buying your proposed goods, do they really need the product or it’s just for luxury, what is the age range of your targeted customer, their annual income e.t.c These and many other important data must be considered before placing order for your goods, it would be a poor business decision to order for baby diapers if you live in a student environment, on the other hand ordering for items such as flash drive, sneakers, e.t.c would count as a good business decision, because student need these items not just for luxury
Promotion: Some years ago, I had to retrieve my MTN number, unfortunately for me, I didn’t know where their office was located in that town, so I had to ask around, and the office location was poorly described to me. I got to the so-called office area, but I couldn’t locate it, mainly because they had no bill board or sign post, since it’s MTN; an established brand, I was expecting a large bill board or banner to signify their presence, but I couldn’t find any, so I stood there for hours, until I was pointed in the right direction. The morale of my short story is this; if you don’t tell people you’re into a particular business, they would never assume you’re into it. As an importer, you must do all you can to promote your business, across all platform, through words of mouth, through business cards, through friends; all possible means. That’s when people will get to know you’re into the importation business. Promotion is crucial to making sales. The idea is to make as much noise about your business as you can, reason being that, it’s difficult to get people that would take you serious when you’re just starting out, which means an extra level of promotion is required to establish a brand for yourself, but once you’ve been able to put the word out there, you’re on your way to making huge profit on your business

Sales: The idea behind every business is a simple logic; buy cheaper sell a little bit higher than purchase rate, the difference between the purchase rate and selling rate is what makes the difference, which is popularly referred to as profit. Often, newbies in the importation business find it difficult to master the margin between the purchase and selling rate, the origin of this problem lies in the difference in purchase currency, negligence of shipping cost e.t.c. After ordering your goods from the store, no matter how cheap you buy, all expenses involved in getting the goods to Nigeria must be considered when deciding your selling price. It may be difficult in the beginning, but the earlier you get used to it, the higher your chances of making good income. The first step is to understand how to convert (accurately) from Nigeria currency to the currency of the country you’re importing from, taking note that the official exchange rate is never static, then you need to calculate the shipping cost and distribute it on the total number of items shipped, the shipping cost and purchase cost is equivalent to the total expenses for getting the goods into the country. Once you’re able to sort this out, you can then decided on what your profit margin would be, but before deciding on the price, it’s a good idea to do a mini survey on what the current price is in Nigeria, you don’t want to sell at an inflated rates, else it would be difficult to get a buyer. For every successful business, there is always a model of profit, basically there are two models; the huge profit model and numerous small profit model, these two models are what I made up on my own, but I would try to explain as much as I can. The huge profit model is such that; you inflate the price of your goods, beyond the average price, and promote the goods as much as you can, such that when you make a sale, you would earn a huge profit, from one single sale, however the downfall of this model is that, your chances of making a sale is very minimal, but when you do, it’s always a huge profit. The other model; numerous small profit model, it the most suitable model for mini importation business, and I would definitely advice a newbie to make use of this model, how this works is that; you create a small profit margin between the purchase price and selling price, making your selling price a little bit lower than the average selling price, this means that, your sales would be very high, however the profit margin is very low, hence you would be required to sell as much goods as you can before making a reasonable income. The benefit of numerous small profit model is that, your customer base would increase significantly, even with little promotion, everybody wants to buy something at a cheaper rate, so naturally they would want to buy from you because you’re selling at a cheaper rate compared to others, also it gives you the benefit of creating a list of loyal customers that you can always reach out to when you have new goods on arrival.

For newbies, I strictly suggest that you make use of the numerous small profit models, however, you can create a sub-list of rich customers within your loyal customers list, and sell to them at a price higher than the average price, but it’s important to ensure that they are actually loyal; else you might send them off.

Market: This has to do with where to buy your goods online, there are various websites where you can source cheap goods online, but few of this websites are trusted, and if proper care is not taken, a newbie might end up losing money rather than making profits.

Source: www.importationwealth.com

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by J0nyb0y(m): 3:14pm On Dec 13, 2014
nice and useful info
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by html14java(f): 3:14pm On Dec 13, 2014
Good
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by killjoy(m): 3:14pm On Dec 13, 2014
gdf
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by paleo(m): 3:14pm On Dec 13, 2014
Thanks for the enlightenment.

Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by PerfumeRepublik: 3:15pm On Dec 13, 2014
Informative thread for Learners
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by chelseabmw(m): 3:16pm On Dec 13, 2014
Nice post
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 13, 2014
Knowledge takes the cake for me.

1 Like

Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by lifestyle1(m): 3:17pm On Dec 13, 2014
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by Ezedon(m): 3:18pm On Dec 13, 2014
k
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by Fabdedon(m): 3:21pm On Dec 13, 2014
R231 has more to say about this
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by Tenim47(m): 3:22pm On Dec 13, 2014
. Dos dat make u up 250, in jamb
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by 5p1naz(m): 3:23pm On Dec 13, 2014
Good one
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by Bryan12(m): 3:26pm On Dec 13, 2014
I needed this cos I know I would be an importer someday.
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by DarryOsh(m): 3:28pm On Dec 13, 2014
I get question abeg
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by zopaks: 3:28pm On Dec 13, 2014
IMPORTATION DONE FOR YOU!!
CLEARANCE SALES BONANAZA!!
WE HAVE THE FOLLOWING IMPORTED ROSEFLOWER WRISTWATCHES AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN BULK PURCHASE(RESELLERS)
TO GET SOME, CONTACT ME ON THE NUMBERS BELOW
WHATSAPP: 0701 1934 575
CALL 0815 326 4902
HURRY!!! ONLY 70 PIECES ARE AVAILABLE

Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by KidProgrammer(m): 3:28pm On Dec 13, 2014
K
Re: Do's And Dont Of Importation by Lakayanah: 3:28pm On Dec 13, 2014
God help us to import the right things at the right time amen.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fire Guts Port-harcourt Major Market / Help: What Business Can I Start In Portharcourt With N1m Capital? / Pls How Do I Know If My NIN Has Been Activated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.