Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,463 members, 7,781,341 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:42 PM

Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? (11780 Views)

Should People Hinge Their Future On Family Inheritance? / Custom Of Inheritance In Akwa Ibom And Cross River State / Why Do Africa Think Its ENTITLED To Foreign Aid? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by samplegirl(f): 9:49pm On Dec 02, 2014
Poster from above contributions I can see that what you wanted is not being addressed because what you are saying does not apply to many cultuers. I believe that you originally want to address the culture as it affects the Igbos.

Please come clean, direct it to the right quarters then somebody like me will help you out. Btw I am a woman and I am Igbo so the question is for us. Waiting for you.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 02, 2014
In my tribe the first son inherits the larger share, while other sons get the rest. Nothing; absolutely nothing goes to female children.
I'm from esanland in Edo state
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by jonglexer: 11:02pm On Dec 02, 2014
because of their fish brain
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by ibnjarir93(m): 11:30pm On Dec 02, 2014
makzeze:
In Islam, female children are entitled to 1/3 of parents' inheritance. It is mandatory.
Bro where did u get this fact frm? With due respect u're wrong so I advice u modify your post. To be sure, according 2 Islamic teachings, women must get a share of their parent's wealth bt the formula is 1/3 of the wealth.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by nagoma(m): 1:33am On Dec 03, 2014
[quote author=makzeze post=28537964]In Islam, female children are entitled to 1/3 of parents' inheritance. It is mandatory.

Yes in Islam female children must get a fixed share of their parents inheritance . But the ratio depends on how many other children of the late parent are alive.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by Winneygirl(f): 5:26am On Dec 03, 2014
My advise...
Do not sit and wait for the inheritance you may be 'entitled' to.
Work, earn a living and be content.
I have long ditched the 'entitlement' mentality.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by johnbush(m): 8:20am On Dec 03, 2014
because they get married and share in their husband's inheritance.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by tiebe: 8:25am On Dec 03, 2014
grellworld:

because they are expected to get married and inherit landed properties with the husband from his family. if he inherits his fathers properties and wealth and then gets married, she wld carry the inheritance to her husbands place. her nativity changes as soon as she gets married.

abeg, how does nativity change due to marriage?
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by BlackSEER(m): 8:33am On Dec 03, 2014
story for the gods
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by amnesty7: 10:22am On Dec 03, 2014
Thank God in my religion it is not so. Alhamdulillah.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by twerkjack: 10:25am On Dec 03, 2014
ducii:

Nice one, where are you from? Is it your culture that females get to share from their parents wealth, or was it just your father's discretion that all his kids gets at least a portion of his wealth?.
some cultures esp dat of the igbos (who are known to be very greedy when it comes to wealth) try as much as possible to remove some ppl from inheritance esp women. Buh they might even remove the male children if they had the chance hehehe. Point is, it shouldn't be a tradition Ħ☺Ɯ somebody shares his wealth, afterall if its ma money, Ħ☺Ɯ ȋ̝̊̅̄
Spend it shouldn't be any body's biz. Sharin wealth accordin to tradition almost always ends in chaos.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by tsmall(m): 11:23am On Dec 03, 2014
Most south west state don't practice this..that's for a fact. As am writing this my MUM still have her inheritance intact.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by lumeneng22: 11:23am On Dec 03, 2014
Who says? It is only greedy brothers that think in that line. Why do females contribute to their parent's upkeep in some instance and burial in other instance?
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by tsmall(m): 11:28am On Dec 03, 2014
samplegirl:
Poster from above contributions I can see that what you wanted is not being addressed because what you are saying does not apply to many cultuers. I believe that you originally want to address the culture as it affects the Igbos.

Please come clean, direct it to the right quarters then somebody like me will help you out. Btw I am a woman and I am Igbo so the question is for us. Waiting for you.

Oh yes my type of person very straight forward.. grin
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by UTEWUOJO: 12:24pm On Dec 03, 2014
U have said it all, dis is Africa & not western world. The only correction dat should be made is dat, when de dad has no male children, de female should b allowed 2 inherit, but if de dad has male children, de female should not b included because dey are now part of thier husbands family.
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by AndreRose(f): 1:27pm On Dec 03, 2014
evantical:
A recent court ruling has changed that.
Wats the current law?
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by ICHINONYE(m): 7:46am On Dec 08, 2014
Some too re Lazy n depend largely on dier fathers wealth, I se no reason y a lady wil b shortchange just 4traditional reason,dats criminal
Ezeibe:
Some men are gold diggers
Re: Why Are Female Children Not Entitled To Inheritance From Their Parents? by ducii: 8:58am On Dec 08, 2014
ICHINONYE:
Some too re Lazy n depend largely on dier fathers wealth, I se no reason y a lady wil b shortchange just 4traditional reason,dats criminal

True talk

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oyo Assembly Approves ‘isese Day’ To Honour Traditional Worshippers / ***Nigerian Adages And Their Meanings*** / Rilwanu Suleiman Adamu: Don’t Force Marriage On Your Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.