Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,482 members, 7,781,441 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:28 PM

Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* (237620 Views)

My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by stint(m): 8:14pm On Nov 26, 2014
pls do you plant directly in the open or do you use plastic bags first in the nursery?
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by stint(m): 8:18pm On Nov 26, 2014
jasper7:

Yes sir, you can plant if your plantains are still young because cucumber likes correct contact to sunlight. If there is shade, the performance will dwindle. But if there's a portion secluded from the plantain, you can just test run. But water is needed o.
Thanks boss, I still have at about 1.5acre that is empty. Think I'll start with that. pls how much do you think I will need to cultivate this size including borehole. and where do you get your seeds.

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 26, 2014
jasper7:
Okay, I just met with representatives of a farm technology company in Thailand. And they said they can solve my current irrigation problems by supplying me a GUN SPRINKLER. A sprinkle water like rain with a 45metre radius. That is an impressive one, considering it will cover one hectare in 30mins.

It's supposed to work hand in hand with my hydraflo machine. This machine is a beast. It can fill up a geepee tank in 30 seconds. An average sumo pump releases 50 psi at a go. This beast can go up to 2000 psi at a go. That is 40 times an average sumo pump. I havr not been able to use it because the pressure at which it releases water can cause erosion and even leaching if not checked.

Please does anybody knows any other machine or mechanism that can be used for irrigation in my farm? Thanks

You can check www​.simbaap.com.ng/ or dizengoff

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 8:33pm On Nov 26, 2014
stint:
pls do you plant directly in the open or do you use plastic bags first in the nursery?
I use plastic nursery trays. Ill find one around my house and show to you

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 8:41pm On Nov 26, 2014
stint:

Thanks boss, I still have at about 1.5acre that is empty. Think I'll start with that. pls how much do you think I will need to cultivate this size including borehole. and where do you get your seeds.
1.5 acre is enough to earn you decent income since the land is in use. The estimate for sinking borehole varies in topography and different locations, different topography. You should ask around your area to find out the estimate cost. I buy my seed from Thailand. CHIA THAI. Biggest seed company in asia. I use their seeds because their climate is very similar to ours. So productivity is almost the same, unlike US or european seed

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by 1stUnique(m): 8:55pm On Nov 26, 2014
haftob:
Nyc one! Anytym I enter some threads on the agric section, I always feel lyk dumping the course I'm studying now in uni for an agric course. I just av dis passion for agriculture but any how sha, I knw I'll bcom a farmer in the future no matter the course I study in the uni

bro. just keep the dream alive.. what u study in university sometimes doesn't determine ur future....

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by e4e5d4d5: 8:55pm On Nov 26, 2014
TAEpiphany:
Hahahahahahaah....we were just talking about this on another thread. I'm so glad you mentioned this. This culture of laziness tire me.

Impressive work you have done, this is more of what people would like to see. Extra grease to your elbow grin....
Would you be consulting on this anytime soon?

Loool. .I see what you mean.the attitude of young people to work in naija is really troubling.
But I still stand by my original opinion sha. .
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by stint(m): 11:48pm On Nov 26, 2014
jasper7:

I use plastic nursery trays. Ill find one around my house and show to you
thanks pls try and post the pics. so you transplant to the open field after how long? do u put manure in the tray? I really want to know all I can about this thing. I need a steady source of income plantain just tie my money for ground till like 10months.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by eddyspice(m): 12:36am On Nov 27, 2014
@jasper7 thanks for the job u have been doing informing everyone. I am into cucumber farming as well. I would like to know how to get the Thia seeds. The ones I do use are disease prone and growth are sometimes stunted.

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 8:46am On Nov 27, 2014
stint:

thanks pls try and post the pics. so you transplant to the open field after how long? do u put manure in the tray? I really want to know all I can about this thing. I need a steady source of income plantain just tie my money for ground till like 10months.
Sorry, couldn't find empty trays at home. But these are types of the seedling trays. Bought them from the Thai representatives in Nigeria. Cost about N200 each back then

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 8:52am On Nov 27, 2014
eddyspice:
@jasper7 thanks for the job u have been doing informing everyone. I am into cucumber farming as well. I would like to know how to get the Thia seeds. The ones I do use are disease prone and growth are sometimes stunted.
Really? You are into cucumber farming? What seeds do you use at the moment? The thai seeds are quite expensive but they are very very good. Perfect for Nigerian weather and big size. Below are some pics of it's product from different farms

7 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 9:15am On Nov 27, 2014
Thebfarm in the first harvest picture produces 100k per harvest. And dey sell cheap, N100 per kg. (Me, I sell N150) The fair woman in that picture is the Director of Thai Agro and Allied. That woman dey inspire me.

3 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by idumuose(m): 9:23am On Nov 27, 2014
*Wonderful*
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by world1(m): 9:36am On Nov 27, 2014
jasper7:
Thebfarm in the first harvest picture produces 100k per harvest. And dey sell cheap, N100 per kg. (Me, I sell N150) The fair woman in that picture is the Director of Thai Agro and Allied. That woman dey inspire me.
You are also an inspiration to others here

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 10:55am On Nov 27, 2014
Class continues soon. If you are not following, you are on a long thing.

9 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by 1stUnique(m): 11:19am On Nov 27, 2014
jasper7:
Class continues soon. If you are not following, you are on a long thing.

bros, I dey front seat with my writing materials ... when its time for field work, tell me so that I go bring out farming tools also...... I dey follow u like glue

4 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by fm7070: 11:20am On Nov 27, 2014
@Jasper7
You're doing a wonderfully well for yourself and great inspiration to Nigerian youth who loves farming.

I have been following this thread with super-keen interest. But I have the following questions

1. In the pictures you posted, there are some black polythene at the ridges, what are they for?

2. At what point do I transplant the cucumber nursery and what are the precautions to be taken?

3. How do I get the THAI cucumber seed, How much does it cost?

4. Where are you based? I am based in Lagos but may need to come and learn from the master.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 12:59pm On Nov 27, 2014
fm7070:
@Jasper7
You're doing a wonderfully well for yourself and great inspiration to Nigerian youth who loves farming.
I have been following this thread with super-keen interest. But I have the following questions
1. In the pictures you posted, there are some black polythene at the ridges, what are they for?
2. At what point do I transplant the cucumber nursery and what are the precautions to be taken?
3. How do I get the THAI cucumber seed, How much does it cost?
4. Where are you based? I am based in Lagos but may need to come and learn from the master.

Okay let me answer your questions first
1. Yes, good observation. Now, alot of farmers fight with weed and cost of weeding is very high. So... the polythene is used as a form of mulching film. This is common practise in developed countries. It makes the plant grow faster and healthier. Because at the early stage, the plant does not have to contend with weed. It is an integral part of my land preparation before planting. Cause it saves cost of weeding and stress. Below you'll see a typical example of my mulching.

2. It is not compulsory to plant in nursery trays. But if you want, its usually after the third leaf appears. You can plant directly, to avoid the stress. There is no direct disadvantage in doing so. Except you have a hard soil.

3. The seed are of different species, they have been genetically enhanced/engineered to serve different purpose. Depends on what you need, determines the price of the seed. I have the Thai Agro group here who sell seeds. The seeds cost about 3-4 Naira per one approximately. They cheapest pack is N200. With about 65 seeds inside. But for intending farmers who join their farm network, they give free seeds for test/exhibition farm.

4. I am currently in owerri where my major farms are based. But spend quite sometime in Lagos. Maybe when next I visit lagos I'll give you a one on one turorial. cheesy

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by fm7070: 2:20pm On Nov 27, 2014
Chai, I feel honoured and blessed with the way you speedily, graphically detailed the answers to my questions.
I tried sending you email to get your contact but nairaland stood at the middle
Hope we can get your email and telephone.
God bless you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by 1stUnique(m): 3:04pm On Nov 27, 2014
I haven't sight Oga Jethro2 in this thread.. Abeg who help me see that bro?
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 3:26pm On Nov 27, 2014
Denn:

Been following your posts.

Was about asking you on how you irrigate.

Can you please shed more light on this?

What methods do you employ.

In addition, I can notice mulching... More on these please
Bros, I just handled mulching in my past post. And the use of mulching film. Hope you find it useful? any other thing you need me to straighten out? Thanks.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 3:30pm On Nov 27, 2014
1stUnique:
I haven't sight Oga Jethro2 in this thread.. Abeg who help me see that bro?
He has been here a couple of times. Bros comment na. Encourage your boys cheesy

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Denn(m): 3:36pm On Nov 27, 2014
jasper7:

He has been here a couple of times. Bros comment na. Encourage your boys cheesy

Yes bros.

The issue of irrigation with your mulch on.

How do you do it? You mentioned sprinkler but I think the mulch will prevent maximum penetration. Drip might be better

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 3:44pm On Nov 27, 2014
Denn:

Yes bros.

The issue of irrigation with your mulch on.

How do you do it? You mentioned sprinkler but I think the mulch will prevent maximum penetration. Drip might be better
I won't lie o. Haven't used drip before. Not because it's not good, but because I haven't seen the need to. Sprinkler does the job fine for me. Even whith the mulching, it just rains down and waters the crops. I have over 10km of drip tapes that are perforated in the right measurement as the holes on my covered bed. But I haven't seen any need to install them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Denn(m): 4:10pm On Nov 27, 2014
jasper7:

I won't lie o. Haven't used drip before. Not because it's not good, but because I haven't seen the need to. Sprinkler does the job fine for me. Even whith the mulching, it just rains down and waters the crops.

Real drip and not the hole-in-hose stuff will actually concentrate fluids to the roots.... But I think your model works.

However, you mentioned bitter cucumber as a symptom of low irrigation.... You can also look into it too...

Won't mind signing up into your class... I am a learner

***modified.
Since you have the drip... Do a small project and compare results...

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 4:22pm On Nov 27, 2014
Denn:

Real drip and not the hole-in-hose stuff will actually concentrate fluids to the roots.... But I think your model works.

However, you mentioned bitter cucumber as a symptom of low irrigation.... You can also look into it too...

Won't mind signing up into your class... I am a learner

***modified.
Since you have the drip... Do a small project and compare results...
I'll do that sir. We are all here to learn. I'll love to feed off the wide imaginations of others. And believe me when I say I have learnt alot since I opened this thread. That's why I am encouraging more farmers to get involved with the thread. Now, I think by marshaling this thing out, we'll both take something home.
The problem with drip is this. Cucumber roots dey go far, infact we are encouraged to use furrow irrigation at the vegetative and fruiting stage. Because the roots have grown far beyond the bed and into the furrow. Now, drip doesn't reach the furrow, but sprinkler touches everywhere. Drip is highlt recommended at the early tender stage, when the roots are still within the bed

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by bamdexfarms(m): 4:38pm On Nov 27, 2014
Pls how much did u get these films? Is it per yard?

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by eadakere: 4:51pm On Nov 27, 2014
very educative thread I have learnt a lot abeg op anytime you are coming to lagos let me I need a one on one tutorial office work done taya me grin
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 27, 2014
op kudos to you
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by 1stUnique(m): 5:10pm On Nov 27, 2014
aguiyi1:
op kudos to you

bros long time naw. u av stop updating on your plantain thread. ow is business sir?
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 27, 2014
1stUnique:

bros long time naw. u av stop updating on your plantain thread. ow is business sir?

my bro, day job is giving me tough time. i learnt the plantation is doing well though. i will put a borehole their this xmas to ensure good harvest
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by 1stUnique(m): 5:24pm On Nov 27, 2014
aguiyi1:

my bro, day job is giving me tough time. i learnt the plantation is doing well though. i will put a borehole their this xmas to ensure good harvest

I wish u d best bro

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply)

Starting An Oil Palm Plantation / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.