Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,313 members, 7,808,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* (238217 Views)

My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by world1(m): 1:35pm On Nov 28, 2014
jasper7:
Okay... so... NUMBER SEVEN and the final one is AGRONOMY. This is the best and the last. Agronomy can shortly be defined as the technology used in food production and processing and soil science. I can't start teaching my style or my own technology because that one na very very long and intensive.

But your location and your capital decides the Agronomy practise.
Welldone.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 1:42pm On Nov 28, 2014
Let me give you an example of how your location and capital can decide the Agronomy practise.

I use mulching films to cover my bed. The major reason I use this is weed control. Because cost of weeding is much higher than the cost of mulching film. Like weeding 1 hectare here in owerri cost 40k. And you'll weed 3 times in one cucumber season. That is 120k. While the mulching film for 1hectare cost about 150k and that mulching film can last for 3 cucumber seasons. So weeding manually would have cos roughly 350k for that 3 seasons, so am saving 200k by practising the use of mulching film.
But if in your area they use 7k or 10k to weed one plot of land, then a season will mean 30k and 3 seasons will mean 90k. So you see that your location does not need mulching film. Because by using manual labour, you save 60k.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 1:55pm On Nov 28, 2014
Another example is my use of stakes, I use splitted bamboo sticks to stake my cucumber. The stakes help me utilize the land so much that I can have 10k stands of cucumber in one hectare. It also make it easy for me to monitor the progress of each individual plant.

If I had like 10 hectares and little capital and I still wanted to cultivate the whole land, I won't use stakes, because bamboo cost money and you have to pay those that will split and mount it. And for hectares, that will be alot of money, which I don't have. so I just let it lie on the ground neatly. Yes, my profit will reduce drastically but so will my capital intensity. Do you get my drift now?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by cashweather: 2:18pm On Nov 28, 2014
Jasper, you are blessed, am proud of you, i want u to be my mentor. I really appreciate, the knowledge you have shared. You have inspired me. These site is best site in Nigeria. I really appreciate the owner Seun of setting up this site. Jasper i wana be like you next year. I base in Rivers state, i will love to plant cucumber next year. I love to add u on bbm or on watts up. Hope u dont mind?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 3:03pm On Nov 28, 2014
cashweather:
Jasper, you are blessed, am proud of you, i want u to be my mentor. I really appreciate, the knowledge you have shared. You have inspired me. These site is best site in Nigeria. I really appreciate the owner Seun of setting up this site. Jasper i wana be like you next year. I base in Rivers state, i will love to plant cucumber next year. I love to add u on bbm or on watts up. Hope u dont mind?
Thanks. Add me

5 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 28, 2014
jasper7:
Okay... so... NUMBER SEVEN and the final one is AGRONOMY. This is the best and the last. Agronomy can shortly be defined as the technology used in food production and processing and soil science. I can't start teaching my style or my own technology because that one na very very long and intensive.

[color=#006600][/color]

Am highly INSPIRED Mr Jasper, on your expeditions! Am equally honoured to be on your thread learning bit by bit from you.

Thanks for the liberal heartedness.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 3:58pm On Nov 28, 2014
jasper7:

Thank you Mr Jasper, am INSPIRED!
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:58pm On Nov 28, 2014
Just seeing this wonderful thread.

I have a lot of questions to ask and learn from your experience pertaining cucumber farming but i have been on a long thing.

Let me have your email and contacts to discuss

Nice and educative thread. Keep the good work going.

Together we shall feed the nation.God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:10pm On Nov 28, 2014
jasper7:
Let me give you an example of how your location and capital can decide the Agronomy practise.

I use mulching films to cover my bed. The major reason I use this is weed control. Because cost of weeding is much higher than the cost of mulching film. Like weeding 1 hectare here in owerri cost 40k. And you'll weed 3 times in one cucumber season. That is 120k. While the mulching film for 1hectare cost about 150k and that mulching film can last for 3 cucumber seasons. So weeding manually would have cos roughly 350k for that 3 seasons, so am saving 200k by practising the use of mulching film.
But if in your area they use 7k or 10k to weed one plot of land, then a season will mean 30k and 3 seasons will mean 90k. So you see that your location does not need mulching film. Because by using manual labour, you save 60k.

This shows that you are a real agribusiness man.
I love your entrepreneural spirit.
Creativity and innovation at work here.
cost of production varies from location to location.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 28, 2014
Great thread. Learning a lot from this.

Have it in my plans to develop a 2hectare of land for cucumber and water melon by next year ending.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Soloxam(m): 7:31pm On Nov 28, 2014
jasper7:
These are pictures from my last set. Cucumber lasts for about 70 days, although this my differ in specie but averagely between time of planting and the time it dries off is about 3months. So in order to maintain supply round the year, I plant in sets. This is the set that will give way for the new set that is just coming up. My next post will be on the factors that affect maximum production.
@jasper, these plant have really done well, but if u don't mind let me introduce a very good seed to you, have u ever planted MURANO 2 F1 cucumber, if u have interest we can talk on it, call, sms, whatsapp 08098256685. Thanks for ur teaching, so impressive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 7:48pm On Nov 28, 2014
Soloxam:
@jasper, these plant have really done well, but if u don't mind let me introduce a very good seed to you, have u ever planted MURANO 2 F1 cucumber, if u have interest we can talk on it, call, sms, whatsapp 08098256685. Thanks for ur teaching, so impressive.
Am very conversant with murano. Thanks
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 7:50pm On Nov 28, 2014
TheLight001:
Great thread. Learning a lot from this.

Have it in my plans to develop a 2hectare of land for cucumber and water melon by next year ending.
Cool. If you can start with 1or 2 plots first. To get the necessary experience. Unless you want to hire professional help like mine. And unlike me, others will charge you. Cos it is top stuff we are discussing here

4 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 28, 2014
jasper7:

Cool. If you can start with 1or 2 plots first. To get the necessary experience. Unless you want to hire professional help like mine. And unlike me, others will charge you. Cos it is top stuff we are discussing here

You are right bro, thanks for that. Will start/practice with 2plots b4 venturing into the 2hectares

Will continue learning from you boss before the time comes to start-up mine.

Thanks for everything.

4 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 10:04pm On Nov 28, 2014
okay, I feel the need to tell a story before I retire for the night. A couple of years back, I was at the MM airport in lagos, heading to abuja. Just as we were waiting for our boarding time. Some big men In kaftans came in an entourage and bought the whole seats in our plane.

These dudes where not up to 20 but correct me if I'm wrong, a plane has a minimum of 60 passenger seats
Well, we were asked to wait a tard longer for their next flight. Trust Nigerians na, see pandemonium. People dragging shirts and singlets grin. I just sat at a corner, folded my hands, dumbfounded.

In my head I was just reasoning this out. The poor ones are here killing themselves, while the big men have boarded our flight and are half way to Abuja.
There and then, I consciously decided to be in the big league. That incident makes me stretch myself, keeps me motivated, keeps me going.

Now, I got your hearts in the right direction, it's time to get your hands dirty! And I mean that, literally. Tomorrow I share the action plan. I just need 10 farmers who have farmland hot and available to indicate interest. 2moro the real work begins.

Incase you don't have any available to you now, but you are going to be ready by march, still indicate interest.

This thread is about to get sweaty. Fun time is over

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 10:08pm On Nov 28, 2014
It's no longer a hear-say, believe it or not. We will carry out a small experiment here on Nairaland. And see how much we make. With that, we can project the income when the real farming season begins. Action plan would be shared 2moro

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by plainmirror(m): 10:25pm On Nov 28, 2014
Permit me to ask my Oga@TheTop what happened to this 1daful thread »» www.nairaland.com/1330960/war-against-bookies-fellowship-advanced/14

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by idumuose(m): 10:28pm On Nov 28, 2014
i'm interested.
jasper7:
okay, I feel the need to tell a story before I retire for the night. A couple of years back, I was at the MM airport in lagos, heading to abuja. Just as we were waiting for our boarding time. Some big men In kaftans came in an entourage and bought the whole seats in our plane.

These dudes where not up to 20 but correct me if I'm wrong, a plane has a minimum of 60 passenger seats
Well, we were asked to wait a tard longer for their next flight. Trust Nigerians na, see pandemonium. People dragging shirts and singlets grin. I just sat at a corner, folded my hands, dumbfounded.

In my head I was just reasoning this out. The poor ones are here killing themselves, while the big men have boarded our flight and are half way to Abuja.
There and then, I consciously decided to be in the big league. That incident makes me stretch myself, keeps me motivated, keeps me going.

Now, I got your hearts in the right direction, it's time to get your hands dirty! And I mean that, literally. Tomorrow I share the action plan. I just need 10 farmers who have farmland hot and available to indicate interest. 2moro the real work begins.

Incase you don't have any available to you now, but you are going to be ready by march, still indicate interest.

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by major911(m): 10:30pm On Nov 28, 2014
jasper7:

intrested sir, am a final student of agric writing mai final exam soon, hv been following this thread for a while and it got me tinking.my bro has a plot of land lieing idle beside mai ouse which i tink will be perfect for a start

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 10:36pm On Nov 28, 2014
plainmirror:
Permit me to ask my Oga@TheTop what happened to this 1daful thread »» www.nairaland.com/1330960/war-against-bookies-fellowship-advanced/14
»It was infested by kids, so we took it to bbm group. For mature minds only cheesy. soccer betting is still a great at hubby of mine, but we can only be as great as our imagination. So, I chose to imagine feeding the nation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by christian11(m): 10:56pm On Nov 28, 2014
jasper7:

I am more than interested sir. Been following dz thread 4 a while, but I want ask, how do one get this mulching film?.

God bless u, God bless, Jethro2, world1, lesgupnigeria, hotmas911, and everyone of u guys that has made dz section on nairaland very very educative, and Finally, God bless Seun for nairaland.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by nigerfine: 1:33am On Nov 29, 2014
@Jethro2.you made me almost shed tears when you said.... That 10 peep should get ready. I am delighted to announce that I read every single Post from every contributions while yours where written down like in a note book...please include me .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by nigerfine: 2:48am On Nov 29, 2014
My consumption of cucumber tread had made me transpose names.....my bad. Jasper......I meant.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Ufeolorun(m): 3:21am On Nov 29, 2014
Impressive thread! Very Decent work. 

I have few questions and I hope you would spare some moment, please. -

How did you cultivate,prepare the land-  was it the major contributor to your labour cost ?‎

Would you have cut down labour and other costs , If you did automate/mechanise some or most part of the process - irrigation timing equipment, drip irrigation tools (off the shelf ) electric or pms propelled rotovators/cultivator /tillers,Towable seed spreader, etc? 

Do you have any idea about Poly-tunnels /Greenhouse farming - the benefits are enormous , so I read .

Do  I need to have a bus of my own or I am better off sourcing transportation as and when needed (note my location is bound to be 2hours max.,away from the trading hubs or the markets) ?

Do I need a crash course as a new comer to agribusiness -emphasis on the Agric. aspect as I believe I have the business side  of things covered ?

Would you encourage land leasing for farming purpose?

Would you consider extending your value chain by opening a store to sell your cucumber directly to the consumer if buyer pressure or glut is putting pressure on your margin and/or ability to sell your lines (obviously renting a store,equipping it and staffing would increase operational gearing/cost but the certainty of moving your lines as quickly as  possible could help business profit and liquidity ) ?

Kind regards

A learner.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 4:38am On Nov 29, 2014
Ufeolorun:
Impressive thread! Very Decent work. 

I have few questions and I hope you would spare some moment, please. -

How did you cultivate,prepare the land-  was it the major contributor to your labour cost ?‎

Would you have cut down labour and other costs , If you did automate/mechanise some or most part of the process - irrigation timing equipment, drip irrigation tools (off the shelf ) electric or pms propelled rotovators/cultivator /tillers,Towable seed spreader, etc? 

Do you have any idea about Poly-tunnels /Greenhouse farming - the benefits are enormous , so I read .

Do  I need to have a bus of my own or I am better off sourcing transportation as and when needed (note my location is bound to be 2hours max.,away from the trading hubs or the markets) ?

Do I need a crash course as a new comer to agribusiness -emphasis on the Agric. aspect as I believe I have the business side  of things covered ?

Would you encourage land leasing for farming purpose?

Would you consider extending your value chain by opening a store to sell your cucumber directly to the consumer if buyer pressure or glut is putting pressure on your margin and/or ability to sell your lines (obviously renting a store,equipping it and staffing would increase operational gearing/cost but the certainty of moving your lines as quickly as  possible could help business profit and liquidity ) ?

Kind regards

A learner.

I lover these questions, but will love the answers the more.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 29, 2014
Am interested Mr Jasper
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by 1stUnique(m): 6:34am On Nov 29, 2014
Una wan commot me for set abi, Abeg i dey inclusive oooo
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Heanry(m): 8:07am On Nov 29, 2014
Mr. Jasper7, please how were you able to set up the mulching film so firmly to the soil such that wind and running water will not be able to wash the film and soil away.

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 8:08am On Nov 29, 2014
@Ufeolorun. Brilliant questions! Been waiting for such questions. Like I say always, am still on a learning curve. Mine farm is not perfect, yes. I still believe there are ways to increase profit margin and I am deeply researching on them. Meanwhile, one of those is automation of most of the cultivation process.

Right now, I use tractor to clear, plough and harrrow. But that's it. The making of beds and covering with mulching film are done manually. The cost is high for this. And there's a machine for all these.

Also, weeding cost, there's a machine for weeding too.

If you aurltomate, you cut down cost drastically, thereby increasing profit margin (that's if the machines are readily available to you).

Yes sir, am very aware of poly tunnels and green houses. In fact I have 2 50x50 green houses. (Although the land they were mounted was repossessed by state government). I do find it unnecessary for cucumber farming tho. But I strongly recommend it for tomatoes, pepper and Green pepper. I would have uploaded pics of my little green house experiment with tomatoes but I am on a trip.

The bus thing, it depends on ur capital and the availability of the bus. Many factors come to play here. I have never had to rent transport to carry my goods because I have an available sienna mini-van and a hilux. The hilux needs to go on 6 trips to be able to carry the whole products from a hectare to the market. So, yes maybe if I had a bus, I might go 2 times or 3 times only.

Concerning the crash course, am not an advocate for schooling, I am more interested in education. If you are intelligent and you follow up with the thread this december, you'll be able to cultivate yours by yourself. But the growth has to be exponential. You have to manage a plot first. Before advancing to acres or hectares.

Land leasing is never a bad idea, especially if the money to buy is not readily available. If the area is secure and accessible by you. Please do lease the land. Good thing about cucumber is that in 35 days, you are harvesting.

I encourage people to staff up as possible, have staff available to you at all times. Wethee in the farm or in the shop. I think any shop you are going to have will be more of like a distribution center. You cannot understand the quantity of harvest, from a hectare. About 700kg per harvest is no small feat at all. You cannot sell all to end users. But you can have a wholesale and retail department. Because the profit from retail supersedes all. But the bulk should go out on wholesale.

In my own farm, local sellers converge at the farm early in the morning to buy off the harvest. So I don't worry much about going to market or setting up a shop anymore.

I think that's all your question sir. I hope you find my answers useful. Please give me a feedback on that

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 8:23am On Nov 29, 2014
Heanry:
Mr. Jasper7, please how were you able to set up the mulching film so firmly to the soil such that wind and running water will not be able to wash the film and soil away.
It's a bed, the mulching film is bedsheet. Use a shovel to open the sides and tuck the film in. Shikena

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 9:47am On Nov 29, 2014
EXERCISE UNO: We need tools, so step out to the market between now and next weekend.
20 BAGCO SAC (should cost like 30naira for one)

You need soil, loamy soil, organic manure or NPk. If you have a poultry around, just get bird droppings.

Another thing, water is not negotiable, there should be available water. When all these are ready by the next weekend, I'll supply seed to interested candidates for free. (From my personal, depleting stash). Those seeds are just for test use. Not for commercial purposes.

Is it possible to get these done? Before next weekend? And am talking to interested parties only

4 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jethro2: 10:26am On Nov 29, 2014
Thank you for this. We appreciate you. How can those in the south west get the seed? Is it possible to buy?
jasper7:
EXERCISE UNO: We need tools, so step out to the market between now and next weekend.
20 BAGCO SAC (should cost like 30naira for one)
You need soil, loamy soil, organic manure or NPk. If you have a poultry around, just get bird droppings.
Another thing, water is not negotiable, there should be available water. When all these are ready by the next weekend, I'll supply seed to interested candidates for free. (From my personal, depleting stash). Those seeds are just for test use. Not for commercial purposes.
Is it possible to get these done? Before next weekend? And am talking to interested parties only

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply)

Starting An Oil Palm Plantation / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.