Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,267 members, 7,780,602 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:22 PM

Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* (237607 Views)

My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 29, 2014
jasper7:
EXERCISE UNO: We need tools, so step out to the market between now and next weekend.
20 BAGCO SAC (should cost like 30naira for one)

You need soil, loamy soil, organic manure or NPk. If you have a poultry around, just get bird droppings.

Another thing, water is not negotiable, there should be available water. When all these are ready by the next weekend, I'll supply seed to interested candidates for free. (From my personal, depleting stash). Those seeds are just for test use. Not for commercial purposes.

Is it possible to get these done? Before next weekend? And am talking to interested parties only

oooo. i feel like shedding tears. May you be richly rewarded.
@house, if u have available land, dont miss this opportunity.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by christian11(m): 10:59am On Nov 29, 2014
jasper7:
EXERCISE UNO: We need tools, so step out to the market between now and next weekend.

You need soil, loamy soil, organic manure or NPk. If you have a poultry around, just get bird droppings.

Another thing, water is not negotiable, there should be available water. When all these are ready by the next weekend, I'll supply seed to interested candidates for free. (From my personal, depleting stash). Those seeds are just for test use. Not for commercial purposes.

Is it possible to get these done? Before next weekend? And am talking to interested parties only
Thank u...

But how can I get this mulching film, I stay in the east. Enugu to be precise... Thank u.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 11:11am On Nov 29, 2014
Pls, you guys should understand my reluctance in sharing the contacts of my seed suppliers from Thailand. I have to get approval from them first. And it's also important that practise, tests and exercises are carried out first before seed will be purchased in larger quantity. But I buy at the rate of 80k per kg. And a kg covers one hectare. About 20k seed inside or so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 11:14am On Nov 29, 2014
christian11:

Thank u...

But how can I get this mulching film, I stay in the east. Enugu to be precise... Thank u.
Forget about the big name, it's just roll of black nylon. Building material people sell it. Should be around 3k a roll

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by plainmirror(m): 11:38am On Nov 29, 2014
jasper7:

»It was infested by kids, so we took it to bbm group. For mature minds only cheesy. soccer betting is still a great at hubby of mine, but we can only be as great as our imagination. So, I chose to imagine feeding the nation.

Sire can you link me to the bbm group cos I benefit from your tips most times.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by plainmirror(m): 11:47am On Nov 29, 2014
jasper7:
okay, I feel the need to tell a story before I retire for the night. A couple of years back, I was at the MM airport in lagos, heading to abuja. Just as we were waiting for our boarding time. Some big men In kaftans came in an entourage and bought the whole seats in our plane.

These dudes where not up to 20 but correct me if I'm wrong, a plane has a minimum of 60 passenger seats
Well, we were asked to wait a tard longer for their next flight. Trust Nigerians na, see pandemonium. People dragging shirts and singlets grin. I just sat at a corner, folded my hands, dumbfounded.

In my head I was just reasoning this out. The poor ones are here killing themselves, while the big men have boarded our flight and are half way to Abuja.
There and then, I consciously decided to be in the big league. That incident makes me stretch myself, keeps me motivated, keeps me going.

Now, I got your hearts in the right direction, it's time to get your hands dirty! And I mean that, literally. Tomorrow I share the action plan. I just need 10 farmers who have farmland hot and available to indicate interest. 2moro the real work begins.

Incase you don't have any available to you now, but you are going to be ready by march, still indicate interest.

This thread is about to get sweaty. Fun time is over

I'm in sire with all dexterity

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by akaebux(m): 11:54am On Nov 29, 2014
Hi.
I have just read this thread and it feels good to know that Nigerian youths are doing this great stuff at home. Currently, I am doing mass cultivation and bio-processing of another type of plant on a 5 acre land. We require a lot of water and we are able to supply this as at when needed. Even though it is not cucumber, it is related as well. I am doing this abroad and have used some noteworthy technologies (from Germany, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, U.S and great China). Trust me, you may not need a big machine or equipment...

1. Identify the water requirement of your plant (abroad, people pay for water by meter run). This will help you reduce any waste/extra costs.
2. Identify if you want to add nutrients to your water (this is interesting... you can increase your yield and crop quality a lot)
3. Identify the priority targets (leaves or roots or both); helps you identify flow down or push up irrigation
4. Identify your water source and match it with No. 1 & 2. If you use a well, good for you!

Once you have done this, you can source for the correct irrigation system. I can design and build one for you based on your requirement.
I can also help you with inexpensive temperature control systems (if required)
I will be glad to discuss further with you on your irrigation requirements.
Keep up the good work!

jasper7:
Okay, I just met with representatives of a farm technology company in Thailand. And they said they can solve my current irrigation problems by supplying me a GUN SPRINKLER. A sprinkle water like rain with a 45metre radius. That is an impressive one, considering it will cover one hectare in 30mins.

It's supposed to work hand in hand with my hydraflo machine. This machine is a beast. It can fill up a geepee tank in 30 seconds. An average sumo pump releases 50 psi at a go. This beast can go up to 2000 psi at a go. That is 40 times an average sumo pump. I havr not been able to use it because the pressure at which it releases water can cause erosion and even leaching if not checked.

Please does anybody knows any other machine or mechanism that can be used for irrigation in my farm? Thanks

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by alakara(m): 12:17pm On Nov 29, 2014
I just dey gbadun this thread. Oga Jasper more grease to ur elbow.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Heanry(m): 1:55pm On Nov 29, 2014
jasper7:

It's a bed, the mulching film is bedsheet. Use a shovel to open the sides and tuck the film in. Shikena
OK. Nice answer. Thank you sir.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by world1(m): 3:54pm On Nov 29, 2014
akaebux:
Hi.
I have just read this thread and it feels good to know that Nigerian youths are doing this great stuff at home. Currently, I am doing mass cultivation and bio-processing of another type of plant on a 5 acre land. We require a lot of water and we are able to supply this as at when needed. Even though it is not cucumber, it is related as well. I am doing this abroad and have used some noteworthy technologies (from Germany, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, U.S and great China). Trust me, you may not need a big machine or equipment...

1. Identify the water requirement of your plant (abroad, people pay for water by meter run). This will help you reduce any waste/extra costs.
2. Identify if you want to add nutrients to your water (this is interesting... you can increase your yield and crop quality a lot)
3. Identify the priority targets (leaves or roots or both); helps you identify flow down or push up irrigation
4. Identify your water source and match it with No. 1 & 2. If you use a well, good for you!

Once you have done this, you can source for the correct irrigation system. I can design and build one for you based on your requirement.
I can also help you with inexpensive temperature control systems (if required)
I will be glad to discuss further with you on your irrigation requirements.
Keep up the good work!

This is great. But you said you are based abroad how will you handle it if I need your services.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by akaebux(m): 5:38pm On Nov 29, 2014
I do come back once in a while. We can communicate via emails/messages first. If required, I can come over for site visit.

world1:

This is great. But you said you are based abroad how will you handle it if I need your services.

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by christian11(m): 10:37pm On Nov 29, 2014
jasper7:

Forget about the big name, it's just roll of black nylon. Building material people sell it. Should be around 3k a roll
Thank you.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Kalusam(m): 10:42pm On Nov 29, 2014
In pursuant to the 10 Wo(Man) practical cucumber class. I mapped out a 30m x 20m experimental plot to start with. Pictures will roll in as soon as classes commences.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by nigerfine: 1:23am On Nov 30, 2014
Jasper' please is there a way of identifying we that indicated interest in your practical session. I had no acknowgdement. Please big sure log in amongst the first 4.thanks once again.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Ufeolorun(m): 6:22am On Nov 30, 2014
jasper7:
@Ufeolorun. Brilliant questions! Been waiting for such questions. Like I say always, am still on a learning curve. Mine farm is not perfect, yes. I still believe there are ways to increase profit margin and I am deeply researching on them. Meanwhile, one of those is automation of most of the cultivation process.

Right now, I use tractor to clear, plough and harrrow. But that's it. The making of beds and covering with mulching film are done manually. The cost is high for this. And there's a machine for all these.

Also, weeding cost, there's a machine for weeding too.

If you aurltomate, you cut down cost drastically, thereby increasing profit margin (that's if the machines are readily available to you).

Yes sir, am very aware of poly tunnels and green houses. In fact I have 2 50x50 green houses. (Although the land they were mounted was repossessed by state government). I do find it unnecessary for cucumber farming tho. But I strongly recommend it for tomatoes, pepper and Green pepper. I would have uploaded pics of my little green house experiment with tomatoes but I am on a trip.

The bus thing, it depends on ur capital and the availability of the bus. Many factors come to play here. I have never had to rent transport to carry my goods because I have an available sienna mini-van and a hilux. The hilux needs to go on 6 trips to be able to carry the whole products from a hectare to the market. So, yes maybe if I had a bus, I might go 2 times or 3 times only.

Concerning the crash course, am not an advocate for schooling, I am more interested in education. If you are intelligent and you follow up with the thread this december, you'll be able to cultivate yours by yourself. But the growth has to be exponential. You have to manage a plot first. Before advancing to acres or hectares.

Land leasing is never a bad idea, especially if the money to buy is not readily available. If the area is secure and accessible by you. Please do lease the land. Good thing about cucumber is that in 35 days, you are harvesting.

I encourage people to staff up as possible, have staff available to you at all times. Wethee in the farm or in the shop. I think any shop you are going to have will be more of like a distribution center. You cannot understand the quantity of harvest, from a hectare. About 700kg per harvest is no small feat at all. You cannot sell all to end users. But you can have a wholesale and retail department. Because the profit from retail supersedes all. But the bulk should go out on wholesale.

In my own farm, local sellers converge at the farm early in the morning to buy off the harvest. So I don't worry much about going to market or setting up a shop anymore.

I think that's all your question sir. I hope you find my answers useful. Please give me a feedback on that

Quality response, thanks boss.

I am not contemplating a longwinded course just a workshop-like training to learn the technical details in Agric from people with industry knowledge . I don't want to under estimate the huge knowledge gap I have right now although, I have greatly improved my awareness .

You staffing issues reinforced the complaint of a family member whose business is  just 5-month old. One would've thought with unemployment at rooftop level people would hold whatever they get with both hands but this seem not to be the case , and this makes simplifying my operation and process not just a cost issue but also to ensure I engage less hands so I don't have to deal with same experience  .‎

I am not considering cucumber at least for now but your detailed explanations makes it an attractive option. Whatever I eventually decide on would be driven by my passion and the market

More questions:

How and why did you decide on cucumber? ‎

Can I go completely organic?‎
If so, can I still compete on volume (output/harvest)

How did you go about building your small 
Greenhouse? ( would love to see the picture) 

Do you live on the farm if not, how do you secure the area ? ‎

I wouldn't mind leasing at all if I could  get a deal that would give me a right to buy the space at a later date.
Cost is an issue for me. I want to absolutely justify  any outgoings cos getting stuck isn't an option.

How much work did you put in to make people come buy straight from the farm rather than you taking it to them ? 

Thanks for your help.

6 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 9:42am On Nov 30, 2014
Ufeolorun:

Quality response, thanks boss.

I am not contemplating a longwinded course just a workshop-like training to learn the technical details in Agric from people with industry knowledge . I don't want to under estimate the huge knowledge gap I have right now although, I have greatly improved my awareness .

You staffing issues reinforced the complaint of a family member whose business is  just 5-month old. One would've thought with unemployment at rooftop level people would hold whatever they get with both hands but this seem not to be the case , and this makes simplifying my operation and process not just a cost issue but also to ensure I engage less hands so I don't have to deal with same experience  .‎

I am not considering cucumber at least for now but your detailed explanations makes it an attractive option. Whatever I eventually decide on would be driven by my passion and the market

More questions:

How and why did you decide on cucumber? ‎

Can I go completely organic?‎
If so, can I still compete on volume (output/harvest)

How did you go about building your small 
Greenhouse? ( would love to see the picture) 

Do you live on the farm if not, how do you secure the area ? ‎

I wouldn't mind leasing at all if I could  get a deal that would give me a right to buy the space at a later date.
Cost is an issue for me. I want to absolutely justify  any outgoings cos getting stuck isn't an option.

How much work did you put in to make people come buy straight from the farm rather than you taking it to them? 

‎Thanks for your help.
Sir, good and intelligent question coming in again. I love this! My aim in agriculture is achieving high yield from little land. Because, unlike some people, I do not have access to land in abundance.
Before you go into farming a particular crop or animal husbandry. You have to check how many of this boxes the crop ticks.

Is it a marketable crop?
Is the ROI above 100% per anum?
Is the farming technicality low enough for an illiterate worker to practise, without constant supervision?
Can I beat or at least meet up with the market pricing?
How low is the crisis level on the crop or animal (talking pests, disease, infections now)?

Cucumber ticked most of the boxes for me. Believe me when I say I have planted majority of the vegetables (tomato, pepper, green pepper, cucumber, water melon, okro, sweet corn e.t.c) and I stuck to cucumber because it gave me more ROI. There's hardly a time when I had crisis of diseases and pest. Unlike my pepper and tomatoes that you have to monitor and pamper. But the major attraction to cucumber was that within a month and a week (40 days) you'll start cashing in.

The issue of marketing, I just have one principle in life. Make your product above standard, guve it a competitive price and you don't need to bother about purchases. Customers will naturally find you out.

I love learnt that 25kg bag of cucumber in lagos is about 3k. That is less than 150 per kg but more than 100 per kg. 120 precisely. With over 1tonne per harvest, you can comfortably sell 100naira per kg. With that price, if your products are above the standard of the conventional product they get for 120 or at least, up to tge satandard. People will rush it. And your supply will not be enough. Very soon you'll see some marketers trying to book before it arrives while the sharper ones will inquire where your farm is, so that they can come and carry from there. Am speaking from experience bro.

About organic farming, like I said, I practise organic farming, it increases cost of production, but there's no difference in quantity of harvest. Cause I apply my organic manure in overdose. cheesy

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by nigerfine: 4:00am On Dec 01, 2014
Wonderful thread. God bless you OP
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Kalusam(m): 7:28am On Dec 01, 2014
Kalusam:
In pursuant to the 10 Wo(Man) practical cucumber class. I mapped out a 30m x 20m experimental plot to start with. Pictures will roll in as soon as classes commences.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by alakara(m): 2:17pm On Dec 01, 2014
Interested oooooo
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by rareman(m): 3:15pm On Dec 01, 2014
Am interested!!
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 01, 2014
jasper7:

Beautiful. While buying, note that they have different kg. The full one goes for 2500 at building material ogidi, while the half goes for 1400. I had to post this as i have made the mistake of buying half thinking i got a big bargain only to realise its half.

@Jasper, am eagerly waiting to see how you use this. Weeding has become a very big issue for me.

3 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 10:54pm On Dec 01, 2014
mercylicious:

Beautiful. While buying, note that they have different kg. The full one goes for 2500 at building material ogidi, while the half goes for 1400. I had to post this as i have made the mistake of buying half thinking i got a big bargain only to realise its half.

@Jasper, am eagerly waiting to see how you use this. Weeding has become a very big issue for me.
wow! that's cheap o. will come and buy from ogidi soon.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by marquiseT(f): 12:22am On Dec 02, 2014
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 2:05pm On Dec 02, 2014
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been away from the country for the past 3days. Currently at songhai farms in port novo, benn republic. Once am back by the weekend I'll give a detailed report.

5 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jethro2: 3:24pm On Dec 02, 2014
jasper7:
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been away from the country for the past 3days. Currently at songhai farms in port novo, benn republic. Once am back by the weekend I'll give a detailed report.
please can you help make enquiries for East West International Seed (EWIT) Tomato Padma and cucumber at the Songhai farm? Thank you

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by concisebizgroup(m): 3:27pm On Dec 02, 2014
jasper7:

i am interested.. I have one plot of land to start with.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by world1(m): 3:55pm On Dec 02, 2014
jethro2:

please can you help make enquiries for East West International Seed (EWIT) Tomato Padma and cucumber at the Songhai farm? Thank you
My boss
They don't have any now just finished talking to the manager.
But other variety is available there

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Kalusam(m): 4:03pm On Dec 02, 2014
We understand...learn and impact to all #KnowledgeisPower
jasper7:
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jethro2: 4:50pm On Dec 02, 2014
world1:

My boss
They don't have any now just finished talking to the manager.
But other variety is available there
Thank you sir
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by world1(m): 5:09pm On Dec 02, 2014
Are You Interested In Agribusiness Get Free Land And Training At WABI Osun State -
https://www.nairaland.com/2024911/w.a.b.i

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by ridge: 7:29pm On Dec 02, 2014
@op, Do you live on the farm ?
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by 1stUnique(m): 10:12pm On Dec 02, 2014
Bro jasper7.. I av some question sir.. After planting and i av harvested for d first time? When else will i b able to harvest and till when will i be able to harvest frm that same plant b4 planting new seed?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply)

Starting An Oil Palm Plantation / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.