Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,373 members, 7,781,046 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:01 AM

Why Suppressing Urine Is Dangerous For Your Health! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Suppressing Urine Is Dangerous For Your Health! (2080 Views)

Female Circumcision Is Dangerous To Women's Health; It Should Be Scrapped. / What Do You Think Of Urine Therapy? / Urine, Is It Really Medicinal ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Suppressing Urine Is Dangerous For Your Health! by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 26, 2014
Do You Hold Urine For Too Long?
Urine is stored in the bladder.
There are potential health consequences of making “holding it” a habit. For example, research has found that women who regularly hold off on urinating when they feel the urge may get more urinary tract infections (UTIs). Sometimes bacteria get into the bladder. Urinating often eliminates the bacteria. But holding them in the bladder allows them to multiply. They multiply really fast: One bacterium can become millions of bacteria over several hours. So if you are
prone to UTIs, urinate as soon as you get the urge.
An average bladder has the capacity to hold about 15 ounces of liquid (eight glasses of water, for example, is roughly 64 ounces. Holding on to urine causes a stretch on your bladder. When this occurs for a long time, the muscles of the bladder weaken and you may get a condition known as Urine Incontinence.
It’s much more likely that the urge to go will eventually just take over, and you will urinate whether you want to or not In this condition, you will have little control over urination. You could wet yourself
unknowingly!
When your bladder is overfull, urine can
retrograde or flow backwards into the ureters, potentially destroying them.
Some researches say keeping urine for long can also cause your Blood Urea Nitrogen to elevate, resulting in metabolic acidosis or electrolyte imbalance.
While we still advise you to take in more water, we add that you pay attention to
signals to empty the bladder to prevent
kidney and bladder dysfunctions.
A 'normal' urination rate is eight to 10 times a day.

www.skytrendnews.com/index.php/feature/health-family-living/5375-why-suppressing-urine-is-dangerous-for-your-health-by-patrick-fynn
Re: Why Suppressing Urine Is Dangerous For Your Health! by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 26, 2014
This is wonderful information op, especially for health care workers like nurses and doctors, you're very right. Thanks for sharing this with us smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Suppressing Urine Is Dangerous For Your Health! by toxiflam: 4:31pm On Nov 26, 2014
Really
I just learnt something new today

1 Like

Re: Why Suppressing Urine Is Dangerous For Your Health! by Ultimate001: 4:51pm On Nov 26, 2014
Moderator, pls. Kindly take dis to d frontpage for the world to learn. Thanks.
Re: Why Suppressing Urine Is Dangerous For Your Health! by ifaoni(m): 5:19pm On Nov 26, 2014
Ok ;DOk
Re: Why Suppressing Urine Is Dangerous For Your Health! by ennon92(m): 5:53pm On Nov 26, 2014
Mehn am guilty of this.
Re: Why Suppressing Urine Is Dangerous For Your Health! by holatin(m): 6:24pm On Nov 26, 2014
dangerous but I will rather hold it than be arrested by KAI
Re: Why Suppressing Urine Is Dangerous For Your Health! by Nobody: 4:05am On Nov 27, 2014
I'm guilty of this. Once I'm not at home I find it difficult urinating, I will rather hold it till I get home.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Yekem, Dr. Kings, Iris Etc Who Is Doing Better? / If POSTINOR 2 "Drug" Is Band Illegal In Nigeria..--(girls) / Orthopaedic Matters: Solution for back Pain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.