Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} (10912 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {chemistry Thread} / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre. {NJTC} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 12:07pm On Nov 29, 2014
Jennimma:

permanent residence is the right one.

Residence is a state of living in a particular place while resident is a person who lives or has their home there.
You're right
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by phemmisky(m): 1:08pm On Nov 29, 2014
Jennimma:

permanent residence is the right one.

Residence is a state of living in a particular place while resident is a person who lives or has their home there.

thank u so much Jennimma
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 29, 2014
Scrypt:

You use glasses? shocked
grin
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by makasimatics(m): 9:49pm On Nov 29, 2014
Why not chose me for either economics or maths and see my prowess
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Martiyu(m): 12:54pm On Nov 30, 2014
Jennimma:
STRESS ON POLYSYLLABIC WORDS

1. When words ends in -ic, -ion, -ing, -ous, -ial, or -ian, the stress falls on the second syllable counting from the end.
Eg: understanding => under-STAN-ing

dictatorial => dic-ta-T0-rial

dramatic => dra-MA-tic

enormous => e-NOR-mous
Notice the letters in capital? Thats the stress(counting from the end)

2. Words ending in -ity, -ate, -al, -ve are stressed in the 3rd syllable counting from the end.
Eg: fortunate => F0R-tu-nate

opportunity => op-por-TU-ni-ty

normative => NOR-ma-tive

3.For words ending with -noon, -tain, -bey, -come, -pose, -sine, stress the LAST syllable.
Eg: afternoon => after-NOON

understand => under-STAND

obey => o-BEY

entertain => enter-TAIN.

Which syllable should be stressed in the word:- entertainment?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 30, 2014
Martiyu:

Which syllable should be stressed in the word:- entertainment?
Entertainment=> enter TAIN ment
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Martiyu(m): 1:22pm On Nov 30, 2014
Jennimma:

Does it mean that any word that ends with "ent" or "ment" will have its second syllable from the end stressed?

What will the stress be for the following words... Detriment, Detrimental, coincident, coincidental, coincidentally

I'll be glad if u'l add very concise explanation to whatever answer you'd give... Thanks prof
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 30, 2014
Jennimma:

weldone God bless you. Thanks alot.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by sheddyboy: 4:17pm On Nov 30, 2014
Jennimma:

okay dear,thank you for the correction.
This my grey hair sef *scratches grey hair and adjust my glass* grin
Jenny, thank you so much, may this simple act of giving brings you surprises, you shall experience amazing advancement in your health life, financial life, and all area of your life where improvement is required. IJN. i think you are a TEACHER. you make learning easier. i am following.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Dsd1pumpking(m): 7:17am On Dec 01, 2014
Jennimma:
Goodmorning Class.

You're welcome to this wonderful thread-NJTC. If you're sitting for the up-coming exam(JAMB), you need not be afraid. We are here to help you succeed. Your only job is to read...and when I say read,i mean it. Go through your jamb past questions and answer them. Discipline yourself not to peep at the answers while reading. Get textbooks and useful materials. Burn that night candle and then back it up with prayers.
Jamb is easy and you can pass in just one sitting.

Ok,enough of the tips. Lets get down to business. You can ask questions to me or to my co-tutors-MarthaK and Naijaboiy. Please feel free.
is there a whatsapp group 4 this? Plz help!
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 9:01am On Dec 01, 2014
Dsd1pumpking:

is there a whatsapp group 4 this? Plz help!
no dear,there is no whatsapp group.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by strongelink36(m): 9:31am On Dec 01, 2014
@jennimma pls what is the difference between shifting stress and stress of a noun or adjective.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 9:36am On Dec 01, 2014
makasimatics:
Why not chose me for either economics or maths and see my prowess
k. Plz join the economics thread check ur mentions

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 01, 2014
strongelink36:
@jennimma pls what is the difference between shifting stress and stress of a noun or adjective.
there is no difference. They are both the same thing. Like i said earlier "shifting stress occurs on words that function both as noun and as an adjective."
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by faithugo64(f): 12:40pm On Dec 01, 2014
Jennimma:

there is no difference. They are both the same thing. Like i said earlier "shifting stress occurs on words that function both as noun and as an adjective."
queen jennimma,no sorry prof jennimma grin,no classes today??
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 01, 2014
faithugo64:
i'll put something down later. I'm kinda busy in the real world.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 01, 2014
faithugo64:
check ur mail swidy!
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by faithugo64(f): 2:18pm On Dec 01, 2014
Microflux:
check ur mail swidy!
ok
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by FunkySilver(f): 9:22pm On Dec 01, 2014
Following!!!
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by adeiza4u(m): 11:23pm On Dec 01, 2014
God bless u jennima. Pls how can i have the links to literature, government, economics and c.r.k class? Thanks to all of u, i appreciate.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 2:26am On Dec 02, 2014
awesome thread, kudos to the organizers
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by ObiOkpor(m): 6:18am On Dec 02, 2014
Jennimma:
USE OF ENGLISH

This is the first paper you see when you open your Jamb question script. It consist of 100 questions.
Section A-Comprehension, Summary and questions from the two novels-THE POTTERS WHEEL AND THE SUCCESSORS.

SECTION B- Lexis,Structure and Oral Forms.

Today,I'll be taking us on Comprehension and Summary.
-Tips on how to answer comprehension questions.
greetings sister...what are the names of novel(s) to read? Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 6:50am On Dec 02, 2014
adeiza4u:
God bless u jennima. Pls how can i have the links to literature, government, economics and c.r.k class? Thanks to all of u, i appreciate.
microflux,please attend to him. He would get back to you,okay@adeiza4u
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 6:54am On Dec 02, 2014
ObiOkpor:

greetings sister...what are the names of novel(s) to read? Thanks.
Its LAST DAYS AT FORCADOS HIGH SCHOOL by A.H Mohammed.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by omoadeleye(m): 7:47am On Dec 02, 2014
i would suggest we start those nearest in meaning and opposite of a sentences , i mean vocabularies
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 02, 2014
Gud noon profs,
i think wt this, i dont need enrolling for any extral class again. Yu ppl are really doin gud work out thr. #jennimma...i commend yu.
However, ur assistance is dearly needed to ease out this tension in me.
1, can one write IRK in jamb even whn yu dont hav it in O'level?
2, whch subjects make best or 'healthy' subjects combination for Law?
2, for govt., Literature, English and most importantly, IRS; what are the texts recommendable should one wants to have basic concepts of the combined subjects
4, Recommended texts for Lit-in-eng. for this ahead jamb
5, Any link for IRS and its texts?
6, Any ilorin aspirant in the building....? *think we sud start rolling it frm here..lol*
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 02, 2014
Ridhwan1:
Gud noon profs,
i think wt this, i dont need enrolling for any extral class again. Yu ppl are really doin gud work out thr. #jennimma...i commend yu.
2, for govt., Literature, English and most importantly, IRS; what are the texts recommendable should one wants to have basic concepts of the combined subjects
6, Any ilorin aspirant in the building....? *think we sud start rolling it frm here..lol*
naijaboiy will help with answers.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 1:44pm On Dec 02, 2014
adeiza4u:
visit here u wil see al links www.nairaland.com/2015333/nairaland-jamb-tutorial-centre-njtc
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by naijaboiy: 2:00pm On Dec 02, 2014
Ridhwan1:
Gud noon profs,
Good afternoon...your questions are well appreciated.

1. If you did not offer IRK in your O'Level then which subject did you offer? I think we should start from there.

2. The subject combination for law is Government,,Use of english,,Literature and Crk/Irk

3.for government...you should read the text books you have. essential government textbook will be of great help.
For literature,,just have a wide grasp of your literary terms and learn how to answer questions from unknown stories.

4. I think jennimma has answered that

5. No idea...jamb brochure should help smiley

6. There should be a thread for that wink

You're welcome cool

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Yustash001(m): 2:46pm On Dec 02, 2014
Ridhwan1:
Gud noon profs,
unilorin aspirant.....
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 3:25pm On Dec 02, 2014
CONCORD OR AGREEMENT

Concord is when grammatical elements agree with each other either in number or in person. In other words,we're looking at the relation between the number of the subject and the form taken by the verb.
1. Number Concord- the question of number concord arises only with the present tense verbs and with verb to be. Eg: he/she/it knows
we/they/I/you know

but in past tenses,it is he/she/I/we/they/you/it knew.

In the case of verb to be,we have:
{for present tense}
I am
He/She/It is
You/we/they are

{for past tense}
I was
He/she/it was
you/we/they were

The general rule is that plural subject takes plural verb and singular subject takes singular verb.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 02, 2014
2. Notional Concord: this means an idea that is based on assumption. This concord interfere with the number concord. In other words,when the thought is of the group as a unit, then singular verb is used.
Eg. The band is playing(the group thought of as a collection of individuals)

The band have scattered(the group as a unit)

OR

The audience was large(a group)
The audience were clapping their hands(as a unit)

3. Noun Plural In Appearance But Singular In Usage.
They include news,physics, mathematics, economics, premises, headquaters, electronics etc
Eg: The school premises was dirty
The headquaters is far

{was and is are singular}
Also expressions,amount<time,money,measurement,weight> are considered singular when seen as a unit.
Eg. Three hours is enough time.
Ten thousand naira has been spent.
Three-fifth of the money was recovered.

4. Noun Singular In Appearance But Plural In Usage.
They include: the poor,the rich, livestock, sheep, cattle, lice, nice, date, etc.

Eg:The rich also cry.

The livestock belong to the Emir.

Also titles,names even when in plural form usually takes singular verb.
Eg: the adventures of Emeka has been published.

The knights of the Mulumba is sponsoring a carnival.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kogi State University To Get Two New Campuses. / French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i / Students Of College Of Education, Katsina-ala Protest Over Fees Increment (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.