Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:01 AM

Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager (4320 Views)

The Secret Life Of a Nigerian Teenager.. / Teenager Woos Girl At Gunpoint In Delta / Seven Signs Your Girlfriend Is Still A Teenager (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Amb3r: 11:30pm On Nov 26, 2014
My name is Adaugo. I was born and bred in the eastern part of Nigeria. I'm currently an undergraduate in the university and this is my story:

I spent a year at home before securing admission. One evening, on my way home after an annoying JAMB preparatory class, I was just too tired to take the 15 minutes walk down to my house and I was also pissed that Mr Okoye, the physics teacher had picked on me all through the class because I asked him to solve a question and the class laughed at him for not getting the answer correctly in the previous class. The man deliberately kept us in class for close to 25 minutes after the class was supposed to end. I was deep in thoughts trying to figure out an excuse to give my eldest brother , Eddie for coming home later than I should have. He wouldn't have believed that Mr Okoye would keep us in class later than he should. The blaring of a car horn got me startled and on looking towards the car, I saw it was Frankie, my brothers' friend in his ash Toyota Camry. He offered to give me a ride home which I didn't decline considering the fact that he's my brothers' friend and I was in a hurry to get home before it gets past my curfew. Frankie was averagely tall, fair-skinned, lean and lanky, with muscles that were defined but not bulging. Eddie, my brother was a little taller, broader of shoulder, and his muscles always seemed to be pushing at the seams of his shirts. We didn't talk much as he drove, well, not until he got to the estate and he asked for my number which I gave to him. When we got to my gate, he stopped, I thanked him and alighted. That night, as I was getting ready to sleep, he called me to know if my mum or my brothers were angry that I got home late. The truth is that I'd been crushing on him for a while but I kept it to myself knowing fully well that my brothers wouldn't tolerate such. It was bad enough that they went through my call log and messages every evening. After the call, I kept the phone under my pillow and slept off.

The next morning, I woke up to a very lovely text Frankie sent, I quickly deleted the message and got outta bed to start my day with my morning chores. He kept calling and sending messages which I deleted as soon as possible. I really wished my brothers didn't go through my phone everyday because those messages were too lovely be deleted.

One evening, as my siblings and I were watching a program, my phone rang and I excused myself and went to my room to answer the call trying to keep my voice as low as possible
"Good evening" I said
"How are you, my angel?", he replied
"Please, don't call me that again"
"Why not?" He questioned
"I'm not your angel, abeg"
"Well, you are"

Just then, I noticed someone was at my door, I turned around and my eyes met my brother, Eddie's questioning eyes. I smiled and then cleared my throat and said,

"Mara, calm down, I'll try and look for it in my room but I'm sure your notebook isn't here" with that, my "watch dog" left without saying anything.

"That was a smart move, love. So, which one of your brothers was that?"

"It's none of your business" I snapped.

"You are my business, Ada. Don't you get it? I love you so much."

"Please stop calling me before I get into trouble with my brothers. Good night" was all I could say before I terminated the call.

Frankie kept on calling and sending messages and when it was obvious that I wasn't going to pick his call or reply his texts, he stopped.

I was in Ms. Anushiem's chemistry class when Menkoma, my childhood friend who also attended my secondary school, slipped a paper into my bag, she smiled and told me that we'd read it together after the class. I wasn't keen to ask her any questions because she had a loud voice and I was so not in the mood to be on the Ms. Anushiem's bad side.

After the class, I met Menky outside with Joshua and Chibuike, they seemed to be arguing about something which I wasn't interested in finding out. I exchanged pleasantries with the boys and asked them to give me 5 minutes with Menky.

"Who gave you that note?" was the first thing I said to her

"Calm down, officer. I was only doing someone a favour"

"What favor? Who is the someone sef?"

"Frankie, Ursula's elder brother. I saw him at the gate and he begged me to give it to you"

"Nawa o. Which kin wahala is this nah"

"Wahala ke?! That cute boy is not supposed to be a wahala in any girl's life. In fact, he should be a blessing. What did the note say?"

That was when I realized that I hadn't even read it, "I'm not going to read it", I mumbled.

"If you don't want to read it, give it to me. I want to know what His Royal Cuteness has to say."

"Get ready to ask him ..." Was all I could say before she snatched the pink neatly folded paper from my hand.

"Oh my gosh! Ada, I think you have an admirer. Who would have known that Franklin had a thing for you. Anyway, he said he'll be waiting for you at the gate after classes. I can't wait!" She said and then winked.

"Who is that?" A familiar voice said from behind

"Stop snicking up on people, Mara. I've told you that I don't like it" I yelled as we turned to her.

"Your blood too dey hot. I was only trying to play jhor. By the way, who are you guys talking about?" She asked.

Amara was a tall, light skinned girl with a pretty oval face. She was almost my age but it was hard to tell because she was as tall as Menky and I. I met her at the gate on my first day. She could tell that I was lost from the look on my face and she offered to take me to the classroom where the science-inclined students received lessons. She lent me her notebooks after the lessons so that I would copy the notes and meet up with the rest of the class the next day.

"Somebody. I'll tell you all about it later" Menky replied as we started walking towards the science classroom for the last lesson which physics.

I tried to pay attention to what the Mr Okoye was teaching but I found it difficult to do so and it was unusual. I couldn't say if it was the multicolored floral shirt he was wearing or his bald head that shone as the fluorescent bulb reflected on it. I chose not to believe that it was the note that got me distracted.

"Did anybody not tell this man that people as dark as he is should not wear this type of shirt?" Menky muttered and everyone sitting around started laughing.

"All of you sitting around there, leave my class!" The furious man shouted "if you don't want to learn, don't disturb those that know what they are here for", he continued. He kept on mumbling inaudible words even as he faced the board to write.

I turned to Menky and mouthed to her to apologize to the man as we parked our books but she bluntly refused.

The nine of us that were sent out of the class went into an empty classroom to wait for the others so that we'll leave together. I sat down at the back of classroom near the window facing the gate. I rested my head on the desk and tried to get my mind of Frankie. I thought of dinner, it was Wednesday and we usually had rice and stew with fish. Salome, the househelp always cooked the stew with enough pepper and I usually looked forward to her fish stew. I didn't know when I slept off but the next time I opened my eyes, the day's lessons were over.

Menky, Mara and I walked down the road where Mara would take a turn and walk down to her house. As we walking were towards Mama Chidera's shop, we saw Frankie's car parked in front of the shop. He was sitting under the shade close to the airtime vendor. He wasn't really dressed in a very simple way. He wore a brown leather jacket with a white shirt underneath and a pair of navy blue skinny jeans with sneakers.

"Isn't he over-dressed? No be just to see you? Abi una dey go party this evening" Menky mumbled.

We all laughed pretending to be laughing for another reason.

"Good evening ladies", he said as he walked up to us.

"Good evening" we all replied.

"How was lesson today?" He asked.

"It would have been good if not for Menky and her sharp mouth" Mara said with a frown.

"Like you didn't laugh too" she snapped "anyway, come and give me that biology text I asked for before it gets late. Ada, see you tomorrow" she continued as she dragged Mara away.

"I guess it's just the two of us" Frankie said smiling. It flashed the little gap in his front teeth.

"It's about to rain. I have to go before I get drenched" I said trying as much as possible to avoid his eyes.

"Alright then. Let me take you home, the thunder is already clapping" he replied as he walked to his car. When he noticed that I wasn't following him, he turned around and rolled his eyes...

"Aren't you going home again?" He asked.

I nodded and walked up to his car.

"We're gonna have a quick stop on our way" he added as I entered the car

"I guess I'll have to walk home then. I don't want to get home late." I said as I tried to open the door

"It won't take time, I promise" he said with a smile.

Then he started the car engine and drove off

TO BE CONTINUED....
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by iceberylin(m): 11:38pm On Nov 26, 2014
Mehnnn..continue cheesy
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Diffdeef(m): 11:49pm On Nov 26, 2014
Real niggurs don't hit on a friend's sister.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Abbeylincson(m): 12:03am On Nov 27, 2014
the girl has fallen in love
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Nobody: 12:20am On Nov 27, 2014
Let me just book space,I go comment 2mao,gud night
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Dopeyomi(m): 12:23am On Nov 27, 2014
Is tHis a Diary or a story

I'm confused tHo undecided

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Nobody: 12:27am On Nov 27, 2014
grin
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Taleeysun(f): 1:01am On Nov 27, 2014
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by whizqueen(f): 1:19am On Nov 27, 2014
Ok
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by lurex2rhyme(m): 1:20am On Nov 27, 2014
mod plz move dis 2 d proper section. anyway cool story though. so as sum1 as ask is dis 4 ur diary or 4 romance section.?
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Nobody: 8:24am On Nov 27, 2014
Hmmmm
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by lilbabyak(m): 8:43am On Nov 27, 2014
Later
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Amb3r: 7:22pm On Nov 27, 2014
It's journal.....kinda
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Amb3r: 7:22pm On Nov 27, 2014
Dopeyomi:
Is tHis a Diary or a story

I'm confused tHo undecided

"My name is Adaugo. I was born and bred in the eastern part of Nigeria. I'm currently an undergraduate in the university and this is my STORY" undecided
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 27, 2014
another telemundo script
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 27, 2014
I understand you perfectly. The OP is preparing for Literature-in-English which she'll write in next year's WASSCE/NECO so she has come here to practise.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Dopeyomi(m): 7:32am On Nov 28, 2014
Amb3r:

"My name is Adaugo. I was born and bred in the eastern part of Nigeria. I'm currently an undergraduate in the university and this is my STORY" undecided

You dOn finisH tHe stOry

Abi u no go upDate again.. Come and finish wHat yOu 'started' o
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by nanauju(f): 8:29am On Nov 28, 2014
It's a nice story.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Amb3r: 6:04pm On Nov 29, 2014
nanauju:
It's a nice story.

Thank a bunch, Uju
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Amb3r: 6:06pm On Nov 29, 2014
I'd heard so many stories of how some girls were drugged and raped. Mummy also me that Obiageli, her friend's daughter was raped by some boys she met at a party. I was really scared as we drove in silence.

"Dear God, please protect me" I prayed.

Frankie drove into tasty delight's parking lot. There were so many cars parked there and I hoped not bump into anyone I knew.

"Please gimme 5 minutes" he said as he turned the engine off.

"Frankie, it's getting late and it will soon rain"

"This won't take time. I promise"

"Alright" I said in between my teeth.

When he left, I tried hiding my face so that those passing won't see me. I was a bit scared as I was waiting. I knew Meksy usually went there with Kay, his girlfriend but I didn't see his car in lot as we were driving in. So, I was safe.....kinda.

Frankie came out few minutes later carrying a bag. He didn't take time as he promised. He gave it to me. It had meat pie (my favorite), cake, doughnuts, and 2 plates ice cream inside it.

"I hope you like it"

Smiling, I said "these are my favorite. Thank you"

"I'm glad you like it" he said as he drove into the busy federal housing estate.

At dinner, Salome was surprised that my helping was unusually small.

"Ada, mmadu akpasu gi iwe taa?(Ada did anyone annoy you today?) Why did you corret small fudu" she asked.

I smiled and replied, "no aunty. I'm not that hungry today"

"I di sure?" (Are you sure?)

"Yes aunty"

I couldn't wait for the grace to be said before I left the table. In as much as I loved fish stew and rice, meat pie and ice cream were my favorite. Ziko and I helped Salome clear the kitchen and then we went to my room.

I ate the meat pie and ice cream with Ziko. Praying that Mummy or Eddie didn't have any reason to come to my room then. As we were eating, Frankie called. He wanted to know if I enjoyed the treat. I sure as hell did! But I didn't let him know

"I'll eat it tomorrow. I'm already filled up with dinner. Thanks a lot though." I lied

" I'm glad you appreciate it"

"Mmh-hmm. I really have to go to bed. Good night, Frankie" I said in a calm but dismissive voice

"Good night, my love"

I giggled and then ended the call.
••I know, I know it's very wrong but it felt so right••

"Who was that?" Ziko asked

"It's none of your business" I replied "in short, go to your room before mummy finds out that you're still awake on a school night" I continued.

I woke up every morning grateful to God for having Frankie in my life and with my jamb months away, I'll get to enter the university and move to the hostel. With that, I'll get to see Frankie all I want.

"Adaugo!"
"Yes mummy!" I answered as I got out of bed. I wondered how many times she had called my name before I woke up. I felt light-headed and my eyes were so weak. I looked for my slippers as I rubbed my itchy left eye with the back of my palm. The doctor had prescribed glasses to correct it but I wanted contact lenses, it looked so good on my brothers' university girlfriends.

I glanced at the wall clock in my room , It was 6:15am. I was up all through the better part of the night. Frankie called and we spoke for long. He told me so many stories about the university and how he couldn't wait for me to join him. Sincerely, I couldn't wait too.

"I wonder why mummy will not allow somebody to sleep and wake up at his own will in this house" Meksy swore as he got out of his room. It was adjacent to mine.

"Good morning, brother Emeka"

"Won't you go and answer her before she wakes the entire neighborhood up" he said angrily

"It was an innocent greeting. Why would you want to cut my head off. It's not like I'm the one that woke you up sef" I mumbled as I went down the stairs.

My mum, Anne Mbanugo, was a tall, dark and slim woman. She was in her mid-fifties but it was hard to tell because she used several age defying products. She wore a low cut hair with jerry curls. She refused to let it grow after daddy's burial. "It's a sign of respect to my late husband" she always said. She worked as the head of operations in a bank at McIntyre avenue and had a boutique that aunty kelechi, her younger sister managed at Achala street.

She was in the kitchen with Salome when I got downstairs.

"Mummy, Good morning ma" I greeted

"Won't you go to the bakery to get our bread or have you forgotten we have to eat this morning?"

"I'm sorry, mummy" I said as I left the kitchen.

I wasn't just in the mood to walk down at wait the long line at the bakery. As I walked down the street slowly, I thought of Frankie and all that he told me at night. We talked about our future together, how we'll tell my brothers, how he'll help me get a room in a lodge close to his in school and so many other things. He had also professed his love for me severally.

Mummy and Eddie were ready for work when I returned from the bakery. Salome had already fried the eggs and sausages.

"What took you so long?" Eddie who was sitting on one of the chairs in the dining
questioned angrily.

"People were much and it was only oga Sunday that was attending to all the customers" I replied as I dropped the two loaves of fantasy buttered bread on the kitchen counter

"Nne, Go and baff and come down and have ya breakfast" Salome said as she served Eddie.

The rest of the day was like every other day. Eddie went to work. He worked as inspector in a pipeline routing company. Meksy was in his 400 level in the university and he lived in a lodge there, although, he spent most time at home than in his lodge and Zikora, my sweet younger sister was in her third year in the in secondary school. The house was always quiet during the day, so, I read and did my assignments then. I usually leave for lesson by 2pm, walked down to Udoka crescent and meet up with Menky in front of Vincent, our tailor's shop. We then walked down together to wait for Mara at mama Chidera's shop.

Frankie and I had been meeting secretly for weeks and I couldn't help falling head over heels for him. I really wanted us to tell my brothers, I was tired of sneaking around to answer his calls and all but he insisted he will do that after my matriculation....... C'mon Frankie! That's several months away

With my UTME months
away, I couldn't afford any distraction. I tried cutting Frankie off but I couldn't. Arrrgh! Things would have been better if it were just the crush thingy, right? I never thought Frankie of all people would have a thing for me. Not like I wasn't pretty but I've seen meksy's female friends from their school and they're all pretty. 4 years ago, Adanna "the I-know-all" in my class said that universities admitted only pretty girls and so we should try as much as possible to look pretty if we ever wanted to study in a university.

For several weeks, Things went on well between Frankie and I. We were as discreet as possible. We didn't talk much whenever he came to the house to see my brothers, meksy and Eddie. I was living the dream until.....

One evening after mid-week service, as Mummy drove into the compound, we saw an elderly woman waiting for us at the patio. We all knew her very well. The elderly woman was aunty Ojiugo. She was my daddy's sister. She and mummy weren't the best of friends but they got along. She was the only one mummy talked to whenever she decided to go to the village. That wasn't often but whatever reason that made her go must be of great importance, she usually went alone or maybe with the boys. Grandma too was sitting with her. The two were waiting patiently for mummy. Ziko and I ran to greet grandma and aunty Ojiugo. Mummy never expected to see them in our house. She greeted them and told Ziko and I to go upstairs and freshen up. We couldn't hear much of what they were saying but one thing was for sure, my mother refused to agree to whatever they had to say.

"I'm a Christian!" She shouted "My children and I will not engage in idolatry. So, go back and take your other grand daughters to the initiation ceremony"

Aunty Ojiugo talked to mother calmly. She told her that it was the family tradition and it had to be upheld. She explained every detail of the ceremony to mother and told her to think about it. After talking for about 15 more minutes, the two ladies left.

Later that evening, mother called me to her room and explained everything that happened earlier to me. She told me that I'll be going down to the village to stay with aunty Ojiugo in two weeks time and Ziko wouldn't be going with me since she wasn't of age yet. I was actually surprised that mummy agreed to that.

"O ga di si mma" she added when noticed that I hadn't said anything.

I smiled and turned to leave the room.

"Please tell Salome to hurry up with dinner. I'm totally famished" she said almost to herself

"Ok". That was actually what I could say about the whole thing. Not like my opinion was welcomed.

"It's just one day" I thought to myself as I walked down the hallway "Frankie won't even notice my absence that much."

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by whizqueen(f): 7:39pm On Nov 29, 2014
Its a nyc story. But if u want us following it u must update promptly.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by RaeMystix: 7:50pm On Nov 29, 2014
FOLLOWING
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Tonydeeb(m): 8:55pm On Nov 29, 2014
Shu...I wan write waec?...see script o...I resemble kyle xy for yr eyes?. abeg, where summary dey
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by kelsberg(m): 11:33pm On Nov 29, 2014
Nice piece..
Abeg update promptly
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Heyliesha(m): 12:10am On Nov 30, 2014
Common come n finish diz tin!
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by TheSonOfMark(m): 1:06am On Nov 30, 2014
I hope this story would have as much suspense as it promises and not a downward spiral into the stereotype of the average Nigerian story/movie.
My arms are at akimbo. I've got the PATIENCE to wait. GOOD LUCK.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Amb3r: 9:42am On Dec 01, 2014
I'm sincerely sorry for the late update. I've been busy with school iss. I hope to update promptly now that I'm kinda done with the iss smiley
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Amb3r: 9:44am On Dec 01, 2014
Two weeks later, Chinedu, mummy's driver drove us to Anawfia. I really missed going to the village. It had been 5 years since I travelled to the village. The roads hadn't changed, still dusty and narrow. The palm trees had gotten taller than I remembered. We really enjoyed our stay in the village especially when it was just us and daddy. But for some reason, mother never wanted us to have anything to do with the village after daddy died.

Aunty Ojiugo was at home when we arrived. After her husband left her and their 6 children to marry Agnes "the happening woman", she moved back to the family house but she stayed in late grandpa's quarters with the children. Some of her older children were discussing with two other relatives on the bamboo bench at the corner while the younger ones were cooking mud and leaves soup near the stairs when we arrived. I smiled at Obiageli, her first daughter. She was all grown. We heard that she'd be getting married to Ifeanyi, Mazi Akukalia's son and they were going to live at Onitsha where he had a big shop.

"Umu nne m, unu a bia go? Welcome home." she said as she walked down the stairs

"Good afternoon, Aunty" I said

"Afunuu" she replied as she adjusted the mkpuru oka wrapper loosely tied on her chest

"I'll be back by 3pm tomorrow to take Adaugo" mummy said as she walked back to the car

"Won't you come inside?"

"I have an appointment this afternoon"

"See you tomorrow, mummy" I said trying to keep my voice calm

"Take care of yourself, my baby and stay away from your grandmother's house. Don't even eat or drink anything from that place" she ordered as Chinedu drove off.

The next day, Grandma and Aunt Ojiugo took Fumnanya, Nneka, Obiageli and I to the udara tree square. I was one of the youngest girls there. We all were tying white wrappers and had a calabash with fruits in it. We presented it to an old lady, Onyema. She stood in front of the udara tree reclining her head on her walking stick, she kept silent in prayerful meditation. She then raised her head and studied the girls and the older women present with her eyes and in a feeble but steady voice, she said,

"Welcome to this year's Umuada Ikenga initiation ceremony" she moved her weight to the other leg and continued, " I take it that none of you is below 15."

We all nodded.

She continued, "You will be washed in the Alumona river and after that, you all shall offer sacrifices to Onwuelu, the goddess of fertility and another to Mgbeoyibo, the goddess of virgins"

Sincerely, I didn't understand most of what the scary old lady said or did but one thing grandma made sure of was that I never forgot was that the initiation was sacred and that as the first daughter of my parents, I was not supposed to do certain things. •That's bull, grandma!•

"Remember all that Onyema said and never neglect it" she whispered as we got into the compound.

My heart skipped a beat.

Mummy was already pacing impatiently around the compound. She had arrived 30 minutes earlier. Chinedu was inside the car listening to the live football broadcast on the radio.

"Get your things and let's go!"

I ran inside and got my bag, waved at Chikamso, Oby's younger sister, she had kept me company after mummy left and then I ran into the car.

Grandma and Aunty Ojiugo stood near the guava tree looking at us. They said nothing to mother. Grandma waved at me and smiled. Most of her teeth were gone. Daddy said she chewed tobacco a lot and it made her teeth brown.

"My friend, move this car" she yelled at Chinedu.

"When we get home, we'll talk" she said with a calm voice as we drove towards the expressway

Unbelievable how things can change in just one day. You can't believe it right? I know, I still find it hard to believe myself. I thought it was an episode in a soap opera in African Magic or even Telemundo. It couldn't be happening now that things were getting serious with Frankie and I. Grandma had ruined my teenage experience of love.... if not my whole life. So much for having a reunion with her. No wonder mummy didn't want us to have anything to do with her. She referred to her as "o bata osu" some time in the past ''whenever that woman gets involved in something, everything goes wrong'' she blurted out, after answering a call one evening months after daddy's burial.

To be continued.....
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by chijoy7(f): 10:21am On Dec 01, 2014
Following
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by Amb3r: 10:21am On Dec 04, 2014
My relationship with Frankie was just perfect an as the days went by, our love grew stronger. With my UTME and screening exams gone, I could say I had all the time in the world. I visited Frankie more often since he lived close to my estate and he had moved back to his family house for his vacation. Whenever I visited, I usually felt a bit uncomfortable because his younger sister, Ursula was very hostile, she never responded to my greetings. Since she was on vacation too, she was always at home with her BFF, Onyinye. They always had straight faces and something to say behind my back whenever they saw me. "That's how Ursula behaves, hun. Give her some time" Frankie always said. I tried being nice to her for Frankie's sake but she seemed not to be in for it. I really tried all I could to be on Ursula's good book but it seemed as if she swore not to reciprocate. I stopped trying jare! I'm not an a** licker! If she doesn't want to respond to my greetings or have me on her good book, so be it. After all, she was just two years older than me. l stopped greeting them and even named them "Dracula and the White Witch". Later, I found out that Onyinye had a thing for Frankie and she (Ursula) really wanted them to be a "thing". Frankie didn't like Onyinye because she was always full of herself and was a bit domineering. I, for one didn't like her too.

Since being miss-goody-two-shoes didn't work and Frankie refused to talk to her, I decided to do things my way. I usually went straight to Frankie's room to avoid being in the sitting room with "Dracula and the White Witch", but I stopped. I and Frankie na started staying in the sitting room with them. We held hands, leaned on each other, laughed out loud and even hugged. While watching movies, we intentionally asked so many questions to make them angry, we were just like the goofy-eyed couples we say in movies. I wanted to rub it in their faces that I had Frankie and they just had to live with it. It was as if Frankie understood what I was doing and he played along. Ain't he sweet?

My joy knew no bounds when Eddie checked my admission status. I gained admission, yay!!! I had scored 90 out of 100 in the screening exam but Eddie said it wouldn't guarantee my admission since jamb score was a bit low for my course. I had dreamt of receiving lectures, dressing up in my departmental wear and all. My friends told me how fun it was being an undergraduate.

Frankie helped me get a room in a lodge close to his as he had promised. And when I finished my clearance, school started proper. Although he was in his final year as a law student and had a busy schedule as the president of Law Students' Association, we did almost everything together. I never felt insecure or paranoid when he was with his female friends or "colleagues" as he called them.

One evening, Frankie called me to notify me that he and some of his colleagues would be representing the university in a conference for law students at Kandor State in the Northern part of the country. I was filled with sadness due to the fact that the zone of the conference was filled with incessant terrorism. Frankie reassured me that everything would be alright. It however didn’t stop me from crying all night.

The next day, Frankie called me up early to tell me that his departure was brought forward to the following morning. He pleaded with me that he wanted us to see later that day, no matter how briefly. I was moved to tears because it was near impossible that we would see that day due to the fact that I had an exam, scheduled for that day. I told him that I’d really try my best to get to see him immediately after my exams. Frankie told me that I should try because; he had been having bad vibes all day and my company would make things better. We laughed it off as we ended the call on a happy note.

My exam was shifted to 3:30pm and ended by 6:45pm. All I could think of when I was inside the hall was my scheduled date with Frankie. I finished off my exams on time, to do the thinking as it was my favorite, BIO 101. Immediately after the exams, I rushed off, switched on my phone, to call Frankie, I got a text message. It was Frankie telling me that the date was moved and they were on their way to the Airport, making it impossible for us to meet, due to the timing of my exams. I immediately called back the number, but couldn’t get through to him. I wept, because I couldn’t get to kiss him goodbye, or at least get a final hug.

I didn’t get to speak to Frankie until 3 days later. His phone had been switched off since the text message. I was so worried that if I had a 60 year old heart, it would have had multiple cardiac arrests. I received a call by 12:45pm after an 11am paper of MAT101, it was from Frankie. I was so overjoyed that I couldn’t hide the excitement on my face. I picked up, to tell Frankie how much I’ve missed him and how he got me so worried.

‘Frankie’ I said, ‘why did you keep me out for so long?…’

He cut in immediately in a voice filled with fear and said

"Ada, they are bombing us, the shooting and shelling is overwhelming, they are getting closer, bae.... Christ!!! They are…’ the phone hung up.

I stood there shell shocked, like someone who just got fired from a job. My mouth was a bit agape, I called Frankie back, the number was switched off. I feared the worst. In shock, I left the school premises. I ran home, grabbed the remote on getting home, tuned in to Channels, to my awe, they were airing a live scene at the School of Legal studies, Kandor state. The Haramajis militants were attacking the school, leaving over 400 persons, dead. I collapsed on the spot.

I woke up in a hospital the next day, to my mum as well as Eddie, my brother’s bewilderment, the first name I mentioned was Frankie. They told me that several bodies were recovered in the aftermath of the attack, but Frankie’s body was never found. I was devastated by the news and wept and mourned him all day, all week, all month, and all year. At some point, I thought it was my grandma or her "evil" goddesses getting back at me for not obeying their instructions of dating a man that's not from Anawfia.

Today marks the anniversary of the last time I heard from Frankie, when he uttered the incomplete statement; ‘They are…’

THE END
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by snowhyt(f): 10:34am On Dec 04, 2014
aww this is so touching; i'm almost shading tears... May his soul RIP
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Teenager by IamLEGEND1: 10:42am On Dec 04, 2014
abeg some1 should help with us with summary na 4 us wey no read am

(1) (2) (Reply)

Most Nigerian Girls Are Very Dumb In Bed (my Experience) / College Student Breaks Down In Tears After Been Brutally Raped By A Girl(video) / Tell A Sad Story In 3 Words

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.