Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,932 members, 7,799,150 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} (9521 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre. {NJTC} / Biology Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by clevvermind(m): 12:25am On Nov 28, 2014
i hope you people will finish what you've started.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Olaskybab: 5:32am On Nov 28, 2014
agafiya:

I think the answer to the first question should be gene, but I choose chromosome since it goes in line with the explanation you gave of the difference between gene and chromosome. The answer to the second question is (E) that is gene and environment. Environment also affects the behavior/character expressed by an individual.
dere ar some hormones which affect Character/Behaviour..... An hormone calld ADRENALINE wey dey ontop kidney if e 2 much 4 one's body,na wahala o....d persn go dey vex always

datz a gud example,go nd read more on it.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by agafiya: 7:10am On Nov 28, 2014
Microflux:
yes it shud b environment. But rid the question again. Jamb sed. 'normally' because normali z included d answer is hormone nd gene. Bruh those are jamb tricks. Take it or liv it. Nd 4 my xplanation rid again, and ask anytin that confuses u. Thanks.
Alright!
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by agafiya: 7:11am On Nov 28, 2014
Microflux:
yes it shud b environment. But rid the question again. Jamb sed. 'normally' because normali z included d answer is hormone nd gene. Bruh those are jamb tricks. Take it or liv it. Nd 4 my xplanation rid again, and ask anytin that confuses u. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by agafiya: 7:13am On Nov 28, 2014
Olaskybab:

dere ar some hormones which affect Character/Behaviour..... An hormone calld ADRENALINE wey dey ontop kidney if e 2 much 4 one's body,na wahala o....d persn go dey vex always

datz a gud example,go nd read more on it.
Thanks! more to research on.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 28, 2014
Good morning class! Today we are going to consider.
STRUCTURE OF DNA
DNA[deoxyribonucleic acid] is made up of two chains of small chemical units called NuCLEOTIDES. Each nucleotide consists of a phosphate group, a sugar called deoxribose and a nitrogenous base. The nitrogenous base are purines and pryrimidine. This are likely jamb question take note. The purines are adenine [A] and guanine [G] while d pyrimidies ar thymine [T] and cytosine ]C[.
The nucleotides are twisted into each oda 2 form a doubu helix, sumtin lyk a spiral staircase. The chemical structure of dis bases are bond in certain patern as adenine always join thymine and guanine always join cytosine. In other words the nitrogenous base from one chain <purine> links up with a compatible base 'pyrimidine' of the oposit chain lyk rungs or steps of ladder, i knw u hv sin a ladder b4. The 4 bases of the DNA chains are held 2geda by hydrogen bonds.
The diagram below
i structure of DNA is like ladder
ii it z twisted into a helix in nature.

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 28, 2014
What DNA Does
­DNA carr­ies all of the information for your physical characteristics, which are essentially determined by proteins. So, DNA contains the instructions for making a protein. In DNA, each protein is encoded by agene(a specific sequence of DNA nucleotides that specify how a single protein is to be made). Specifically, the order of nucleotides within a gene specifies the order and types of amino acids that must be put together to make a protein.
A protein is made of a long chain of chemicals calledamino acidsProteins have many functions:
*.Enzymesthat carry out chemical reactions (such as digestive enzymes)
*.Structural proteinsthat are building materials (such as collagen and nail keratin)
*.Transport proteinsthat carry substances (such as oxygen-carrying hemoglobin in blood)
*.Contraction proteinsthat cause muscles to compress (such as actin and myosin)
*.Storage proteinsthat hold on to substances (such as albumin in egg whites and iron-storing ferritin in your spleen)
*.Hormones- chemical messengers between cells (including insulin, estrogen, testosterone, cortisol, et cetera)
*.Protective proteins- antibodies of the immune system, clotting proteins in blood
*.Toxins- poisonous substances, (such as bee venom and snake venom)
The particular sequence of amino acids in the chain is what makes one protein different from another. This sequence is encoded in the DNA where one gene encodes for one protein.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Microtee(m): 4:23pm On Nov 28, 2014
Gbam... I don land.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 28, 2014
DNA replicates, encodes,
manages cellular functions and
can mutate.
Since James Watson and Francis
Crick revealed the structure of
DNA, know the name of this two men. it has been accepted as the
molecule of heredity. Before their
discovery, the scientific
community retained some
skepticism that DNA was up to
the job, because it seemed too
simple a molecule to perform the
four necessary functions:
replication, encoding, cell
management and the ability to
mutate. The unique structure of
DNA allows it to fulfill all these
functions.
Replication
Cells in a multicellular organism
must duplicate many times, and
even single cells have to duplicate
when they divide. Whatever
molecule carries genetic
information must be capable of
copying itself in an almost error-
free manner. DNA is made of four
bases, abbreviated A, C, G and T.
DNA is a double-stranded
molecule, where an A in one
strand always matches with a T
in another strand, and a C always
matches with a G. If the two
strands of DNA are separated
and a new strand is built, it will
use the pattern of the existing
strand to construct an exact
copy, because where there was
an A across from the T in the
original, there will be an A across
from the T in the copy.
Encoding
The work of each cell is done by
proteins, so one of the roles of
DNA is to build the right proteins
for every cell. DNA fills this role by
containing three-base sections --
called codons -- that direct the
formation of proteins. In a long
stretch of DNA, each codon
contains the information that
directs the assembly of one
amino acid onto a protein.
Different codons correspond to
the assembly of another amino
acid onto a protein, so a whole
section of DNA with a given
sequence of bases will build a
specific protein.
Cellular Management
In multicellular organisms, a
single fertilized cell, a zygote,
divides and duplicates many
times to make an entire living
being. Each cell has exactly the
same genetic material, but
different cells develop in different
fashions. That is, in a process
called differentiation some cells
build the right proteins to
become liver cells, and others
become skin cells, others
stomach cells. In addition, cells
must change the way they
operate as conditions change.
Your stomach cells, for instance,
have to produce more digestive
hormones and enzymes when
food is present. DNA does this
through signals that turn on and
off the production of proteins
involved in digestion. The same
kind of thing happens as cells
differentiate: Signals trigger the
right levels of protein production
to form the appropriate cell.
The Ability to Mutate
Evolution is the change in
characteristics as generations of
an organism are produced.
Evolution happens on small
scales within an organism -- such
as changes in skin or hair color
in humans -- and also on large
scales -- such as the creation of
the vast range of life on Earth
from an early single-celled
organism. That can only happen
if the genetic molecule can
change, can mutate. As DNA
replicates to make egg and
sperm cells, changes can creep in
on several levels. One way is
through single-point changes
that add, subtract or change an
existing sequence. Other
changes happen when DNA
molecules cross each other,
switching the arrangement of
genes on each of the two
crossed strands of DNA. Read carefully again and again this are areas JAMB loves to set their question.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Abasstoheeb(m): 10:22pm On Nov 28, 2014
welldone guy
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by labimide: 11:49pm On Nov 28, 2014
Microflux:
CELL
I know you have been taught this in your primary school days. But notwithstanding.
The cell is the basic unit of the body and the study of heredity is centred on the NUCLEUS of a living cell. However, not much was mentioned in your primary and early secondary school days about its hereditary properties. Within the nucleus of the cell are materials that control the heredity of the individual. We should remember that only the chromosome is involved in heredity which is determined during the process of meiosis during gametogenesis. [b]Gametogenesis is when the spermatozoa and the ovum fuse together [/b]then mitosis will take place dividing the somatic cell to form the zygote. This are the stages of formation of a baby.
Gametogenesis -> zygote -> foetus -> baby. A pregnancy is abortable easily at the zygote/ early foetus stage.
Diagram of a cell below.

That's fertilization. On the other hand, gametogenesis is the process of formation of gametes (spermatozoa and ova) through meiosis. You mentioned this later anyway. Well done.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by labimide: 12:05am On Nov 29, 2014
Microflux:
u missed the it bruh! Chromosomes are rod-shaped bodies found in the nucleus of a cell and in which genes are located. Y GENES are are units of inheritance composed of DNA and located in chromosome. But the 2nd question is sumhow confusing, because of the ' normally' b4 d question had it bin there is notin lyk normally b4 the question the answer will be E. Environment also deter character but normally its gene and hormones. Thanks. So 1. E 2. D
but it would seem that hormones are coded for by genes (ref: X & Y xsomes). So, I'll go for E.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 29, 2014
labimide:
but it would seem that hormones are coded for by genes (ref: X & Y xsomes). So, I'll go for E.
bruh normally is b4 the question. So its hormone
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by labimide: 12:19am On Nov 29, 2014
Microflux:

Regardless, hormones are products of genes.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Nobody: 1:27am On Nov 29, 2014
a new tutor has opted in. His name z pennyways. U ar higly welcum.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by faithugo64(f): 3:43am On Nov 29, 2014
following
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by heykims(m): 7:43am On Nov 29, 2014
Microflux:
Sorry to interrupt..
Environments re also normal phenomena in life. Regardless of the answer in the series booklet, I go for E
Normally d character exhibited phenotypically is d inherent gene carried by the individual influenced by the environment. If monozygotic (identical) twins carries gene for tallness but d twins re separated immediately after birth with one taken to Europe nd raised in an average community nd d other remaining nd raised in Nigeria, d twin raised in Europe will surely be taller than d one raised in an average Nigerian society. This is a classical example of an interaction btw gene and environment which is NORMAL.

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 29, 2014
heykims:

Sorry to interrupt..
Environments re also normal phenomena in life. Regardless of the answer in the series booklet, I go for E
ok
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 29, 2014
Today we are moving to somatic cell
Somatic cell
A somatic cell is generally taken
to mean any cell forming the
body of an organism.
Somatic cells, by definition, are
not germline cells.
In mammals, germline cells are
the sperm and ova (also known
as "gametes"wink which fuse during
fertilization to produce a cell
called a zygote, from which the
entire mammalian embryo
develops.
Every other cell type in the
mammalian body, apart from the
sperm and ova, the cells from
which they are made
(gametocytes) and
undifferentiated stem cells, is a
somatic cell; internal organs skin,
bones, blood and connective
tissue are all made up of somatic
cells.
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Pennyways: 10:54am On Nov 29, 2014
Microflux:
a new tutor has opted in. His name z pennyways. U ar higly welcum.
thanks so much for the privilege. I promise to contribute as much as I can to this section
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Bhuumhite(f): 11:39am On Nov 29, 2014
following....i pray and hope this doesnt stop midway
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by heykims(m): 12:37pm On Nov 29, 2014
clevvermind:
i hope you people will finish what you've started.
It is gradually becoming obvious what d answer to this question is..
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by clevvermind(m): 12:38pm On Nov 29, 2014
heykims:

It is gradually becoming obvious what d answer to this question is..
is what?
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Pennyways: 12:40pm On Nov 29, 2014
REGULATION OF INTERNAL ENVIROMENT
now we gonna study about the regulation of internal enviroment in other words known as homeostasis
most of you must be familiar with this word but might not really know what in means.

the cells of multicellular organism are bathed in body fluids such as blood, lymph and intercellular fluids. these fluids make up the internal enviroment of the organism. this internal enviroment must be kept fairly constant for health, growth and effcient functioning of the body cells. faliure to do that may result to death.
Maintaining of a steady internal enviroment is knows as hemeostasis. An organism regulates its internal enviroment and keeps it in a steady state by constantly ajusting any changes in the physical and chemical conditions of its body fluids. This conditions include temperature, PH (hydrogen ion concentration) osmotic pressure and concentrations of dissolved substances in the body fluids such as carbon dioxide, oxygen, urea, food substances (glucose, amino acids, etc) and ions (sodium, potassium, chloride, etc)

Homeostatic processes
is the control of the body meachanism such as detecting and ajusting changes in the internal enviroment of an organism. Usually sensory detectors recognise a change in a given condition and stimulate the relevant body parts involved in control of the body. these parts recieve signals, interpret them and send out instructions to the appropriate effector organs or glands to react and restore the normal state. Such control mechanism is known as homeostatic processes.

Part involved in homeostasis are:

hormones
kidneys
liver and
skin

although these organs play an important role in homeostasis, the brain has the overall control over the homeostasis processes in the animal body.

my next lesson will be on the HORNONES

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by heykims(m): 12:43pm On Nov 29, 2014
clevvermind:
is what?
I made a complete sentence sire

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 29, 2014
Pennyways:
REGULATION OF INTERNAL ENVIROMENT
now we gonna study about the regulation of internal enviroment in other words known as homeostasis
most of you must be familiar with this word but might not really know what in means.

the cells of multicellular organism are bathed in body fluids such as blood, lymph and intercellular fluids. these fluids make up the internal enviroment of the organism. this internal enviroment must be kept fairly constant for health, growth and effcient functioning of the body cells. faliure to do that may result to death.
Maintaining of a steady internal enviroment is knows as hemeostasis. An organism regulates its internal enviroment and keeps it in a steady state by constantly ajusting any changes in the physical and chemical conditions of its body fluids. This conditions include temperature, PH (hydrogen ion concentration) osmotic pressure and concentrations of dissolved substances in the body fluids such as carbon dioxide, oxygen, urea, food substances (glucose, amino acids, etc) and ions (sodium, potassium, chloride, etc)

Homeostatic processes
is the control of the body meachanism such as detecting and ajusting changes in the internal enviroment of an organism. Usually sensory detectors recognise a change in a given condition and stimulate the relevant body parts involved in control of the body. these parts recieve signals, interpret them and send out instructions to the appropriate effector organs or glands to react and restore the normal state. Such control mechanism is known as homeostatic processes.

Part involved in homeostasis are:

hormones
kidneys
liver and
skin

although these organs play an important role in homeostasis, the brain has the overall control over the homeostasis processes in the animal body.

my next lesson will be on the HORNONES
pls teach body cell. Dats akordin to the sylabus i posted on page 0
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by clevvermind(m): 1:28pm On Nov 29, 2014
heykims:

I made a complete sentence sire
check it again

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Nobody: 3:09pm On Nov 29, 2014
Following
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 29, 2014
Seat booked
Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by DelePhd: 3:46pm On Nov 29, 2014
I did something similar to this early this year before Nairaland was hacked. The thread was based on the book, Explicit Biology, which to my knowledge is the best textbook for JAMB biology. As a teacher,it is the textbook that I use to teach my JAMB students. According to the author, O.J. Olaoye, he said,

The JAMB-UTME biology syllabus is divided into five sections and questions are usually weighted as shown below:

Section A: Variety of organisms – 7-9 questions
Section B: Form and Function – 18-20 questions
Section C: Ecology – 9-11 questions
Section D: Heredity and Variation –4- 5 questions
Section E: Evolution – 4- 5 questions
Total number of questions = 50

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by DelePhd: 7:09am On Nov 30, 2014
Ladies and Gentlemen, with the kind permission of the author (O.J. OLAOYE) of the number one textbook for JAMB Chemistry/Biology (EXplicit Chemistry - A Revision Course & Explicit Biology - A Revision Course). You can now get a free copy of excerpt of the book in pdf. Interested prospective JAMBite writing Chemistry/Biology should send me a mail to methyldelene@yahoo.com with the subject, FREE EXPLICIT CHEMISTR/BIOLOGY PDF.

N.B: Please don't drop your e-mail address here in other not to derail this thread. Goodluck!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {Biology Thread} by Dsd1pumpking(m): 7:13am On Dec 01, 2014
Microflux:
GENETICS
Genetics, may be described as the science that deals with questions and answers on inheritance.
This is the inheritance of traits or characters, e.g height, skin colour, weight e.t.c which are transmitted from parents to offsprings during sexual reproduction. The ways and manners by which these characters are inherited from parents is HEREDITY. As a matter of fact it is a common knowledge that after sexual reproduction, the resulting offsprings tends to look like their parent in one or more ways. It may be to their immediate parent or grandparent. You as a person their are some character you portrays which so much resembles that of your parents.
Plz sir, try and create a whatsapp group to facilitate an easy chat. We're ready to co-operate,just leave your number .tnk

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

OAU Management Denies Appointing Salami As VC / 11,350 Teachers Write Professional Exams As Lagos Leads / Osun State College Of Health Technology, Ilesa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.