Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,470 members, 7,781,364 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:13 PM

Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now (26638 Views)

Why Most Marriages Never Exceed 10years / Reasons Why Most Marriages Fail In Nigeria / Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Johnnoo(m): 8:14pm On Nov 27, 2014
I too know (over sabi)

1 Like

Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by habex050: 8:16pm On Nov 27, 2014
The main problem is this evil called courtship.....
Coz in those days courtship happens inside marriage not before marriage.
so courtship makes you enjoy marriage before marriage

2 Likes

Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by damcqute(m): 8:18pm On Nov 27, 2014
KORRECT!!!!!!!!!!! True talk. hmmmm.
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 27, 2014
So many differences...cnt think of one now tho'
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 27, 2014
Let me lend my opinion to the topic..
Some many reasons why people get married this days. Some get married Because of sex, fame, Lust, money, popularity, beauty, power, peer pressure etc..
When these factors are no longer available, the marriage hits the rock...

2 Likes

Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by lilmax(m): 8:19pm On Nov 27, 2014
The fact is the old is better than now
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by bafa4success(m): 8:21pm On Nov 27, 2014
How does it concern me avtro am still a virgil....qteam virgil grin

Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:23pm On Nov 27, 2014
The difference is patience and tolerance. Men and women in the past were tolerant and patient respectively. These keep their marriage going.
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by onadana: 8:25pm On Nov 27, 2014
winkOk.....people get married for sentimental reasons,some just get married for the sake of marriage.Marriage is complicated before you get in you must ask,how,why,what,when?If you cannot give good answers to these questions....be ready for a crisis riddled marriage.

Don't marry for love...love is a feeling...it will pass.Once it's not going your way naturally you feel cheated.Marry your friend,friendship breeds love.Take away the love you people will still live together.Marry for love only...take away the love...WHAT IS LEFT IS angryDIVORCE.

2 Likes

Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by holatin(m): 8:26pm On Nov 27, 2014
marriage now does not not inspire someone to get married.
the fun end on wedding day
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Nobody: 8:29pm On Nov 27, 2014
Then people endured more and tolerate each other but today nobody wants to tolerate/endure gain.
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by IYANGBALI: 8:30pm On Nov 27, 2014
Thank God I have moved out of Nigeria,here in soweto the capital of afghanistan where I live,there is nothing like divorce,it is a taboo,marriage is permanent
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by holyboss: 8:31pm On Nov 27, 2014
WTF! That Word new member is not for me (I don't fall in da category) bin representing Nairaland since d days of emmm emmm lipsrsealed boh I can't blame u sha undecided I guess is because I no too dey show for meeting embarassed
zleemshaddy:

Nairaland new members u're all welcome. . .

Btw marriages of d past are mur beta dan nwaday'z marriage, TOO MUCH divorce jare

Nairaland new members u're all welcome. . .

Btw marriages of d past are much mur beta dan nwaday'z marriage, TOO MUCH divorce jare angry
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by delishpot: 8:32pm On Nov 27, 2014
Oh, another woman bashing thread. NL men, una favourite food done cook o. E don done. Make una come chop.

Eh, let me say what the typical NLand men/ boys will say, its the womens fault. A mans attitude should be borne by the wife no matter what, our fathers beat our mothers yet they still stayed. Our fathers married and fathered kids all over our village yet mommy still stayed, she made him happy, knelt down to serve him water and food, knelt down every morning to greet him. Our women of these days have been exposed to education. They can now get jobs and feed their kids instead of depending on us as before thereby making them our slaves. Our parents no longer send their abused daughters back to the abusive husbands again. In the good old days, fathers will return abused daughters cos they had no food to care for her and her kids. Nowadays they dare keep them!
Hmnnnn, men be wise marry a church rats daughter who is ignorant, do not let her earn a penny, keep her always on her toes, trying to make you happy even after you rain her some hot slaps or insults like, has your father ever bought a TV in his life? In the village where I picked you, did you even know what a wC meant? Howmany of your brothers can afford to lay a stone on the ground talkless of building a house? She will still lick your bum cos she aint got no where to run to. Shebi its the type of wife most NL boys want to marry? Good luck finding one sha.

13 Likes

Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:34pm On Nov 27, 2014
Billyonaire:
The very reason Islam promote illiteracy amongst women is to make sure women remain loyal to men, so was it those days, because men refuse to train their daughters too, out of ignorance and dependence on men as bread winners, but now women have equal opportunity to get education and work to earn a living, so women can decide to divorce at will, for "irreconcilable differences".
If you don't know what to say shut your mouth. Who says Islam promotes illiteracy among their women, which makes their marriage to last? There is a high rate of divorce case in the north. Go to Borno State, among the Kanuri, mere saying "I divorce you" to your wife puts an end to your union. And because of high rate of preference for child marriage, divorced women hardly see any other men to marry them.

7 Likes

Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Nobody: 8:37pm On Nov 27, 2014
Our brains developed more I guess undecided
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by synergycom19: 8:38pm On Nov 27, 2014
Marriage then is more of a sacraments,it's death do us part,the following are the major characteristics of marriages those days.
There is no serious/significant Courtship,
No kissing
No testing
No selection/preferences(he is so handsome,he tall and manly,he is rich etc)
No l don't have FEELINGS FOR HIM
No I don't love him
YET THEIRS WAS THE BEST MARRIAGE EVER,Good characters were part of the main requirements.
BUT This days marriages are basically contract, and you hear "Am marrying for love,I need to test him/her,I want her to be pregnant first,I have feelings for him,he has money,she is not a liability,he is my kind of man,she is so beautiful,etc...........you can continue

2 Likes

Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by canalily(m): 8:39pm On Nov 27, 2014
angrydo not look upon those things that are seen buh rather look unto those things that are yet to come.sad
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Chubhie: 8:40pm On Nov 27, 2014
Lagos marriage VS Well researched traditional verification of family histories before marriages are contracted. I'm a fan of the good ol ways. Yes I'm old school.
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 27, 2014
Women of old worry about being single and would rather die than get a divorce. Women of my age know there is life after divorce. You gotta love the freedom to choose!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by coccinella1888: 8:47pm On Nov 27, 2014
Gender equality
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 27, 2014
Women of now couldn't care less kiss
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Nobody: 8:57pm On Nov 27, 2014
delishpot:
Oh, another woman bashing thread. NL men, una favourite food done cook o. E don done. Make una come chop.

Eh, let me say what the typical NLand men/ boys will say, its the womens fault. A mans attitude should be borne by the wife no matter what, our fathers beat our mothers yet they still stayed. Our fathers married and fathered kids all over our village yet mommy still stayed, she made him happy, knelt down to serve him water and food, knelt down every morning to greet him. Our women of these days have been exposed to education. They can now get jobs and feed their kids instead of depending on us as before thereby making them our slaves. Our parents no longer send their abused daughters back to the abusive husbands again. In the good old days, fathers will return abused daughters cos they had no food to care for her and her kids. Nowadays they dare keep them!
Hmnnnn, men be wise marry a church rats daughter who is ignorant, do not let her earn a penny, keep her always on her toes, trying to make you happy even after you rain her some hot slaps or insults like, has your father ever bought a TV in his life? In the village where I picked you, did you even know what a wC meant? Howmany of your brothers can afford to lay a stone on the ground talkless of building a house? She will still lick your bum cos she aint got no where to run to. Shebi its the type of wife most NL boys want to marry? Good luck finding one sha.
Calm your titts , woman.
What are you on about?
Btw,what is wrong with such women?
Will you advise your brother to marry a woman that will compete with him in his own house?

2 Likes

Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 27, 2014
naijababe:
Women of old worry about being single and would rather die than get a divorce. Women of my marriage know there is life after divorce. You gotta love the freedom to choose!!!

End of discussion
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Nobody: 9:09pm On Nov 27, 2014
holyboss:
WTF! That Word new member is not for me (I don't fall in da category) bin representing Nairaland since d days of emmm emmm lipsrsealed boh I can't blame u sha undecided I guess is because I no too dey show for meeting embarassed
oooh my bad, sorry na becus members don dey plenty na grin
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by fadeel29(m): 9:18pm On Nov 27, 2014
Aye ti advance
#no dulling
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by hanznuel84: 9:30pm On Nov 27, 2014
Social media factor n technolgy
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 27, 2014
When I read pple long comments,I get headaches. embarassed
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 27, 2014
In my world, broken things are patched. But in today's world, broken things are thrown away.

2 Likes

Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by Mutuwa(m): 9:51pm On Nov 27, 2014
dammyjay93:
Good Morning N'anders, wishing y'all a lovely morning and day ahead.

Now to the Discussion of the day :

In the Past, marriages were most often pre-arranged by families with LITTLE or no emphasis on love or dating but then marriages lasted more but nowadays that people are freer to choose and even date for extended periods, the rate of divorce is so high.

Why is this? Let's discuss

the media and the cinematography have played more than 95% role in redesigning the life style of the everyday family..which has both negative and positive effects evident in today''s family setting.
Re: Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now by An2elect2(f): 9:57pm On Nov 27, 2014
jennykadry:
Women of now couldn't care less kiss

eh eh tell me something. Chai u dey embarrass oh! just say u dont understand what marriage is all about.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Feel My Father -in -law Is Trying To Control Me / Ex-Husband Drags Kafayat Adedoyin Oyetunji To Court Over Paternity Right / Is It Wrong For Your Fiancee's Parents To Ask You This Question?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.