Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,766 members, 7,802,343 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything (38701 Views)

Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! / The Danger That Come With Naira Devaluation / The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by OLADO(m): 8:03pm On Nov 27, 2014
B like say oil just wan do 'Black Friday Sales'. Op God bless you. Make we lawyers find Legal Explanation too..... #SueTheBastards simply explained!

1 Like

Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by sam4(m): 8:04pm On Nov 27, 2014
come and safe us oh Lord.
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by adedayourt(m): 8:05pm On Nov 27, 2014
There was a country
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 27, 2014
Nigeria also import tooth pick?they can't even build industries..lol no wonder nobody in ukraine accepts they are from nigeria..now I can send my mom more money and my gf..thank God
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 27, 2014
If truly Okonjo Iweala still receives are salary in dollars, then I must say she is not a sincere Nigerian. Our present economic quagmire benefits her a great deal. She gets her pay in dollars, converts to naira and make much more "sur-benefit". Every Nigerian should be paid in naira
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Azeola: 8:14pm On Nov 27, 2014
abeltolu:
Anyways, this is getting too long and no one probably got to the
end, so no need for a witty or wise ending. But, if you reached this
point, congrats! After spending all that time reading this, make sure
you show off your new macroeconomic knowledge to your friends.
And please, stop abusing econ-nerds. We have feelings too. Selah.

Infl....quite long, informative and educative.....very nice
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by nijanigga: 8:16pm On Nov 27, 2014
podosci:
with the falling oil prices, last i heard it is now down to 78$ per barrel, why has kuwait, Saudi Arabia and other major OPEC MEMBER S done anything to raise the price by cutting bck oil production on all countries?
old news, oil for $78/barrel. It's now < $69/barrel.
http://fortune.com/2014/11/27/oil-prices-in-freefall-as-opec-fails-to-agree-output-cut/?xid=yahoo_fortune
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by nijanigga: 8:17pm On Nov 27, 2014
Oil will be sold for $50/barrel next year. Attempt to cripple Putin and Russia.
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by olaolu39(m): 8:19pm On Nov 27, 2014
This is a big challenge to us, Op, 1st comment, Mast comment, Moderator and Youths Generally.
We can't just wait for Naija to turn our destiny upside down, though bending already.
Diversification is the key
Determination is the way
......In fact, I don't know what else to say_
Op; thanks for the enlightenment.

1 Like

Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by olumidazz: 8:19pm On Nov 27, 2014
My anger is we have no reason to be worried even if oil prices fall by 50% but for corruption ans mismanagement of oil revenue over the years.
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 27, 2014
Op, I really enjoyed your explanations. Please how about redenomination (that trick that soludo wanted to use to strengthen the the naira), how does it affect the real value of the naira?. Can we use it now?
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by amjoy: 8:20pm On Nov 27, 2014
Thanks for enlightening me. Op, could u pls explain d difference btw sovereign wealth fund and excess crude account? What are they used for?
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 27, 2014
4reigningqueen:
God punish my secondary school economics teacher.no be the tin I con understand so.
na you no open ur ear well. Dis stuff is more than simple for anyone to understand even in secondary school.
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by economia: 8:24pm On Nov 27, 2014
abeltolu:
The Nigerian media has been awash of the news of Naira devaluation due to fall in Oil prices, and the consequences it has on our economy. I surfed the internet and found this great masterpiece explaining in layman's method the Naira devaluation, its effects on individuals, e.t.c. Enjoy.

So How Did This All Start?

First thing first, oil price fell. Why? Everyone’s increased their production of oil and no one plans on cutting back. In the US, shale oil’s getting cheaper, so there’s more oil out there…and we all know what happens when you have a lot more of a product — price falls. When price falls, consumers are happy and producers are unhappy. Consequently, nations that are consumers of oil have a lovely time, and oil producer countries …a not so lovely time.

So? What Does This Have to Do With the Naira?

Before we go on, a little info on currency and exchange markets. It’s important to note that our currency doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Essentially, a unit of our currency is exchanged for a unit of another currency. Hence the term, Foreign Exchange or Forex or FX, for short. When we buy products from outside Nigeria, we have to exchange our Naira for Dollars. Your Naira is useless outside of Nigeria. It’s why you convert your Naira to Dollars before you travel. You want to test it? Travel to Dubai with only Naira.

Back to the question you raised. Nigeria is fortunate(?) to be an oil producing nation…when oil prices are high. Presently, oil prices are not high and that’s bad for us. Nigeria’s economy is dependent on oil revenue: about 75% of Government revenue comes from our crude oil sales. So when oil prices fall, oil revenue falls too, and that’s bad for the economy.

In the currency market, exchange rates are often centered on the health of a country’s economy. When the economy of a country is strong, its currency is also strong in the foreign exchange market. When the economy appears to be weak, its currency loses value in the currency exchange rate. Nigeria’s dependent on oil, so when oil prices are weak, so our currency loses value in the foreign exchange market. This loss of value of Naira is called a ‘depreciation’ in currency value.

Here’s a simple example. If we began with a dollar exchange for a Naira, both are in a sense equal. However, once I have to give out 2 of my Naira for just 1 of your dollar then the value of Naira has fallen. In the past months, the exchange rate was $1 dollar to roughly N150. Thanks to depreciation and eventually devaluation (we’ll get to that later), it’s now $1 to N168.

Alright. I Get the Currency Part, But What Does Our External Reserves Have to Do with our Naira Value?

To explain this, we’ll have to look into what the External Reserves is and why it exists. Think of your External Reserves as a Savings account where you put some portion of your salary every month. That money gets saved for something later: paying your children’s university fees, buying a house, or importantly, in case things get bad in the future (perhaps you lose your job).

Likewise, countries keep these reserves, but mainly to safeguard the value of their domestic currency, boost their credit worthiness, protect against external shocks and provide a cushion for a rainy day when national revenue plummets. When Nigeria earns revenue from oil, it gets paid in dollars, so we simply stash a portion of the money in our reserves.

Moreover, the reserves of oil producing countries like Nigeria tend to benefit economically from higher oil prices. The higher the price of oil, the more money oil producing countries like Nigeria get to earn and save.

So if We Have an External Reserve, Why’re We Worried?

Well, having a bank account doesn’t mean you have money. We have a reserve, but our money no plenty. Nigeria has been dancing shoki with its reserves. When oil price was high, we apparently weren’t saving that much into our reserves. In fact, our reserves have been on a downward trend for years. We’ve been using our External Reserves to keep the value of Naira stable for months. When our currency appears to be falling, we take out some dollars from our external reserves and purchase Naira. Increased demand for Naira leads to increased value of Naira, and that’s how we stabilize our currency.

However, we sacrifice a portion of our External Reserves to pull this off. For instance, “while the central bank stepped in Nov. 7 to send the Naira to its biggest one-day gain in three years, intervening in the market has reduced foreign reserves to a four-month low of $37.8 billion.” In the last few months, even Russia with their large reserves had to devalue their currency by 23%.

So is This why Everyone Was Making Noise About CBN Devaluing the Naira?

Yes. Now there’s only so much spending from the reserves that the CBN can do, especially given that we’ve really sucked at growing our reserves when oil price was in the $100 range. It’s like when your office was paying you N100k, you were clubbing every weekend rather than saving some money. Then the minute your office decided to increase your income tax, that’s when your jobless relative comes to live with you too. So now, your salary is not only less, it’s burning faster cause there’s an extra mouth to feed.

The drop in oil price does not only send our currency downwards, it also makes it difficult for the CBN to defend our currency. It’s a double whammy. Essentially, if the CBN keeps trying to defend the rate at N150, it’ll burn through the reserves pretty fast and then we’ll be screwed. So relaxing this currency threshold to N168 means they can relax a bit. They don’t have to keep using as much of the reserves to prop up the Naira. If you’re still curious on how it all works, Feyi goes into the intricacies of devaluation in his fantastic post here.

Okayyy! I Think I Understand Now, But How Does This Affect Me?

Like many other economic events, devalution creates winners and losers. Let’s start with the losers. If you generate revenue in Naira and incur costs in dollars, this is a bad time for you. Any activity that has you converting Naira for Dollars will hurt you way more than a few months ago.

Let’s have a moment of silence for our Igbo brother who will be ‘importing containers’ this christmas. Life just got harder for them. Given that importers have to pay for their imported goods in dollars…and dollars just got more expensive, the cost of their goods have increased overnight.

Same thing happens to those Behind parents who’ve got their kids in Nigerian schools that only accept their fees in dollars or Nigerians that have children schooling abroad. If you like flying, shopping or doing anything abroad, your cost of doing so has risen. On the contrary, if you earn in dollars and pay in Naira, life is looking pretty good at the moment.

Exporters also benefit. The fall in value of Naira means more exports because our exports have gotten cheaper. But ermm…what exactly are we exporting?

Phew. So It Doesn’t Affect Me Like That

Don’t be so sure. Nigeria’s an import-dependent nation, which means that most of what you purchase is produced abroad. I heard we import our toothpick too. If the prices of imports have risen, trust your Nigerian brothers and sisters to increase their prices too…leading to what’s popularly known as inflation.

I Was Hearing All These Oversabies Saying CRR, MPR. What Does This Mean?

CRR stands for Cash Reserve Ratio. It’s the proportion of what a bank can lend, to what it has in its coffers. So if the bank has N1000 and its ratio is 50%, can only use 50% of that money (N500) for business. Given that awon banks do not mess around with profit making, they will make sure that N500 brings back maximum profit. Banks are like the servant in Jesus’ parable that got 10 talents from his master, not the lazy one that got 1 talent. So to make max profit off the N500, they will raise interest rate if you want to borrow their money.

MPR stands for Monetary Policy Rate. The Central Bank uses the MPR to control base interest rate. The higher the rate, the less money in circulation. How? If interest rate is higher, will you borrow money from the bank knowing that you’ll pay much more later on? Nope. Instead, you’ll take your money from your pocket and give it to the bank, so they’ll make you more money.

Remember that thanks to devaluation, awon boys will be increasing prices left and right. General price increase in a given period leads to inflation. To tackle this, CBN increases CRR and MPR to reduce demand for money. This way, they prevent inflationary rise.

Okayy. I think I Understand That Part, So What’s This Austerity Thing Aunt Ngozi was Talking About?

That one is another long story. So, we’ve all been in situations when we’re broke. Ok, maybe just some of us. We adjust our lifestyle around the middle of the month when our salary hasn’t been paid. You go from eating jollof rice to drinking garri. When friends tell you to come out and party, you form ‘I’m very busy’.

Nigeria’s proposed austerity measures are similar…except on a grander scale. To cushion the effect of the falling crude oil prices, we have to cut back on spending and quite literally tighten our belts. The Government is cutting back on wastage (less government traveling and all that sort). The Government’s also raising taxes on luxury goods such as private jets, yachts and champagne. Somewhere in this luxury tax is the amusing observation that the revenue from taxes on the rich will still go back to the rich.

For the proletariat, the sweet subsidy you enjoy when you fuel your car will also get cut. Prepare to pay more for fuel. This is a good thing. Subsidy has to go anyways.

Wow. That was Long. So, Any Lesson to Learn from All This?

Yes. First lesson: Nigeria is the most reactive and least proactive nation you could’ve been born into. This isn’t the first time oil prices have fallen. Government should’ve gotten used to fluctuating oil price and prepared accordingly. And, since oil is the figurative oil in Nigeria’s economic engine, judicious and prudent management of oil revenue should’ve been practiced. However, we largely mismanaged our wealth during the time of booms and we’re now trying to behave ourselves in the time of slump. Let’s see how that goes.

The second lesson to be learnt is that we should’ve diversified our economic sources of revenue a long time ago to prevent price shock of primary products from affecting us drastically. Also, State Governments should’ve been pressured to increase their internally generated revenue much sooner. We can’t keep reacting to every economic shock that hits us.

Anyways, this is getting too long and no one probably got to the end, so no need for a witty or wise ending. But, if you reached this point, congrats! After spending all that time reading this, make sure you show off your new macroeconomic knowledge to your friends. And please, stop abusing econ-nerds. We have feelings too. Selah.

Source: http://naijanomics.me/2014/11/26/the-bricklayers-explanation-to-oil-price-fall-naira-devaluation-everything-else/
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 27, 2014
Billyonaire:
Nice piece. But why is referenced to be Brick-layer's comprehension. Does it mean only the not so educated lay the bricks ?
Its a metaphor in this context.. He could have used ''carpenter, mechanic'' etc

1 Like

Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by jacabi(m): 8:28pm On Nov 27, 2014
charix:

This seems to be God's way of punishing Nigerians for their transgressions. Our leaders keep looting and we the youth although angry, support them wholeheartedly.
You're talking.
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Ishilove: 8:29pm On Nov 27, 2014
Errr, I still don't understand this... Too technical undecided

*continues chewing favourite chewing stick*
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Kunle106(m): 8:29pm On Nov 27, 2014
Simplified and informative... Well enlightened...
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by nellyelitz(m): 8:29pm On Nov 27, 2014
Thanks alot that was helpful
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 27, 2014
10 reasons not to believe everything you are told about the budget or falling oil prices

1. Why is the economy suddenly in a panic mode when year to date, crude oil has sold and still selling above the benchmark price for the 2014 budget of $77.50 per litre? We should be talking about excess or surplus for the year not shortfalls.
2. A key factor which has impacted the expected surplus is less than expected daily production of crude but the combined effect of lower than budget production and higher than expected price should still be a net surplus.
3. Given that oil price is falling there should be no need for fuel subsidy. If you remove fuel taxes in many countries the actual cost per litre will be less than N97 equivalent. For instance, in the US, a litre sells for around $1 with half of the price being fuel tax which means actual fuel cost is $0.50 (N83). At N97 per litre, it is actually the people that are subsidising government.
4. A related issue calls to question the sincerity of government on fuel subsidy similar to the way we were assured of constant electricity yet the budget for fuelling at the State house was increased.
5. Since government has reduced the crude oil benchmark for 2015 to $73 per litre, why is there still about N500b budget for fuel subsidy in 2015? If crude oil price is that low, then no subsidy is required. If fuel price goes up, then there will be excess crude windfall part of which can be used for subsidy. Logically, government should not budget for fuel subsidy as it will always take care of itself.
6. The exchange rate used for the proposed budget and Medium Term Expenditure Framework is N162. In view of the devaluation of Naira to an average of N168, government should have more Naira for the same dollar revenue and therefore less impact of falling oil price on expenditure.
7. By the way, why do we start our budget from a zero base every year? What happens to the unspent amounts from previous years due to budget under-performance?
8. Why do we not subject actual implementation of budget to value for money audit? The question is whether what “it is” is as good as “what could have been?”
9. What is the use of Security Votes and funds for Constituency Projects that are shrouded in secrecy?
10. Why does government borrow money from the public and pay huge sums to service the debt despite our external reserve? You might say it is to mop up excess liquidity and control inflation but ironically the excess liquidity is always created by government releasing monthly allocations which are then paid to banks when they could just have kept the money with the CBN.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Tee99(m): 8:31pm On Nov 27, 2014
Long but very interesting
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by ifeelgood: 8:31pm On Nov 27, 2014
OP pls kneel down i want to pray for u for a job weldone. Few comments because its not about Goodluck vs Buhari.

1 Like

Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by edgyslim: 8:32pm On Nov 27, 2014
abeltolu:
The Nigerian media has been awash of the news of Naira devaluation due to fall in Oil prices, and the consequences it has on our economy. I surfed the internet and found this great masterpiece explaining in layman's method the Naira devaluation, its effects on individuals, e.t.c. Enjoy.

So How Did This All Start?

First thing first, oil price fell. Why? Everyone’s increased their production of oil and no one plans on cutting back. In the US, shale oil’s getting cheaper, so there’s more oil out there…and we all know what happens when you have a lot more of a product — price falls. When price falls, consumers are happy and producers are unhappy. Consequently, nations that are consumers of oil have a lovely time, and oil producer countries …a not so lovely time.

So? What Does This Have to Do With the Naira?

Before we go on, a little info on currency and exchange markets. It’s important to note that our currency doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Essentially, a unit of our currency is exchanged for a unit of another currency. Hence the term, Foreign Exchange or Forex or FX, for short. When we buy products from outside Nigeria, we have to exchange our Naira for Dollars. Your Naira is useless outside of Nigeria. It’s why you convert your Naira to Dollars before you travel. You want to test it? Travel to Dubai with only Naira.

Back to the question you raised. Nigeria is fortunate(?) to be an oil producing nation…when oil prices are high. Presently, oil prices are not high and that’s bad for us. Nigeria’s economy is dependent on oil revenue: about 75% of Government revenue comes from our crude oil sales. So when oil prices fall, oil revenue falls too, and that’s bad for the economy.

In the currency market, exchange rates are often centered on the health of a country’s economy. When the economy of a country is strong, its currency is also strong in the foreign exchange market. When the economy appears to be weak, its currency loses value in the currency exchange rate. Nigeria’s dependent on oil, so when oil prices are weak, so our currency loses value in the foreign exchange market. This loss of value of Naira is called a ‘depreciation’ in currency value.

Here’s a simple example. If we began with a dollar exchange for a Naira, both are in a sense equal. However, once I have to give out 2 of my Naira for just 1 of your dollar then the value of Naira has fallen. In the past months, the exchange rate was $1 dollar to roughly N150. Thanks to depreciation and eventually devaluation (we’ll get to that later), it’s now $1 to N168.

Alright. I Get the Currency Part, But What Does Our External Reserves Have to Do with our Naira Value?

To explain this, we’ll have to look into what the External Reserves is and why it exists. Think of your External Reserves as a Savings account where you put some portion of your salary every month. That money gets saved for something later: paying your children’s university fees, buying a house, or importantly, in case things get bad in the future (perhaps you lose your job).

Likewise, countries keep these reserves, but mainly to safeguard the value of their domestic currency, boost their credit worthiness, protect against external shocks and provide a cushion for a rainy day when national revenue plummets. When Nigeria earns revenue from oil, it gets paid in dollars, so we simply stash a portion of the money in our reserves.

Moreover, the reserves of oil producing countries like Nigeria tend to benefit economically from higher oil prices. The higher the price of oil, the more money oil producing countries like Nigeria get to earn and save.

So if We Have an External Reserve, Why’re We Worried?

Well, having a bank account doesn’t mean you have money. We have a reserve, but our money no plenty. Nigeria has been dancing shoki with its reserves. When oil price was high, we apparently weren’t saving that much into our reserves. In fact, our reserves have been on a downward trend for years. We’ve been using our External Reserves to keep the value of Naira stable for months. When our currency appears to be falling, we take out some dollars from our external reserves and purchase Naira. Increased demand for Naira leads to increased value of Naira, and that’s how we stabilize our currency.

However, we sacrifice a portion of our External Reserves to pull this off. For instance, “while the central bank stepped in Nov. 7 to send the Naira to its biggest one-day gain in three years, intervening in the market has reduced foreign reserves to a four-month low of $37.8 billion.” In the last few months, even Russia with their large reserves had to devalue their currency by 23%.

So is This why Everyone Was Making Noise About CBN Devaluing the Naira?

Yes. Now there’s only so much spending from the reserves that the CBN can do, especially given that we’ve really sucked at growing our reserves when oil price was in the $100 range. It’s like when your office was paying you N100k, you were clubbing every weekend rather than saving some money. Then the minute your office decided to increase your income tax, that’s when your jobless relative comes to live with you too. So now, your salary is not only less, it’s burning faster cause there’s an extra mouth to feed.

The drop in oil price does not only send our currency downwards, it also makes it difficult for the CBN to defend our currency. It’s a double whammy. Essentially, if the CBN keeps trying to defend the rate at N150, it’ll burn through the reserves pretty fast and then we’ll be screwed. So relaxing this currency threshold to N168 means they can relax a bit. They don’t have to keep using as much of the reserves to prop up the Naira. If you’re still curious on how it all works, Feyi goes into the intricacies of devaluation in his fantastic post here.

Okayyy! I Think I Understand Now, But How Does This Affect Me?

Like many other economic events, devalution creates winners and losers. Let’s start with the losers. If you generate revenue in Naira and incur costs in dollars, this is a bad time for you. Any activity that has you converting Naira for Dollars will hurt you way more than a few months ago.

Let’s have a moment of silence for our Igbo brother who will be ‘importing containers’ this christmas. Life just got harder for them. Given that importers have to pay for their imported goods in dollars…and dollars just got more expensive, the cost of their goods have increased overnight.

Same thing happens to those Behind parents who’ve got their kids in Nigerian schools that only accept their fees in dollars or Nigerians that have children schooling abroad. If you like flying, shopping or doing anything abroad, your cost of doing so has risen. On the contrary, if you earn in dollars and pay in Naira, life is looking pretty good at the moment.

Exporters also benefit. The fall in value of Naira means more exports because our exports have gotten cheaper. But ermm…what exactly are we exporting?

Phew. So It Doesn’t Affect Me Like That

Don’t be so sure. Nigeria’s an import-dependent nation, which means that most of what you purchase is produced abroad. I heard we import our toothpick too. If the prices of imports have risen, trust your Nigerian brothers and sisters to increase their prices too…leading to what’s popularly known as inflation.

I Was Hearing All These Oversabies Saying CRR, MPR. What Does This Mean?

CRR stands for Cash Reserve Ratio. It’s the proportion of what a bank can lend, to what it has in its coffers. So if the bank has N1000 and its ratio is 50%, can only use 50% of that money (N500) for business. Given that awon banks do not mess around with profit making, they will make sure that N500 brings back maximum profit. Banks are like the servant in Jesus’ parable that got 10 talents from his master, not the lazy one that got 1 talent. So to make max profit off the N500, they will raise interest rate if you want to borrow their money.

MPR stands for Monetary Policy Rate. The Central Bank uses the MPR to control base interest rate. The higher the rate, the less money in circulation. How? If interest rate is higher, will you borrow money from the bank knowing that you’ll pay much more later on? Nope. Instead, you’ll take your money from your pocket and give it to the bank, so they’ll make you more money.

Remember that thanks to devaluation, awon boys will be increasing prices left and right. General price increase in a given period leads to inflation. To tackle this, CBN increases CRR and MPR to reduce demand for money. This way, they prevent inflationary rise.

Okayy. I think I Understand That Part, So What’s This Austerity Thing Aunt Ngozi was Talking About?

That one is another long story. So, we’ve all been in situations when we’re broke. Ok, maybe just some of us. We adjust our lifestyle around the middle of the month when our salary hasn’t been paid. You go from eating jollof rice to drinking garri. When friends tell you to come out and party, you form ‘I’m very busy’.

Nigeria’s proposed austerity measures are similar…except on a grander scale. To cushion the effect of the falling crude oil prices, we have to cut back on spending and quite literally tighten our belts. The Government is cutting back on wastage (less government traveling and all that sort). The Government’s also raising taxes on luxury goods such as private jets, yachts and champagne. Somewhere in this luxury tax is the amusing observation that the revenue from taxes on the rich will still go back to the rich.

For the proletariat, the sweet subsidy you enjoy when you fuel your car will also get cut. Prepare to pay more for fuel. This is a good thing. Subsidy has to go anyways.

Wow. That was Long. So, Any Lesson to Learn from All This?

Yes. First lesson: Nigeria is the most reactive and least proactive nation you could’ve been born into. This isn’t the first time oil prices have fallen. Government should’ve gotten used to fluctuating oil price and prepared accordingly. And, since oil is the figurative oil in Nigeria’s economic engine, judicious and prudent management of oil revenue should’ve been practiced. However, we largely mismanaged our wealth during the time of booms and we’re now trying to behave ourselves in the time of slump. Let’s see how that goes.

The second lesson to be learnt is that we should’ve diversified our economic sources of revenue a long time ago to prevent price shock of primary products from affecting us drastically. Also, State Governments should’ve been pressured to increase their internally generated revenue much sooner. We can’t keep reacting to every economic shock that hits us.

Anyways, this is getting too long and no one probably got to the end, so no need for a witty or wise ending. But, if you reached this point, congrats! After spending all that time reading this, make sure you show off your new macroeconomic knowledge to your friends. And please, stop abusing econ-nerds. We have feelings too. Selah.

Source: http://naijanomics.me/2014/11/26/the-bricklayers-explanation-to-oil-price-fall-naira-devaluation-everything-else/

This was a fantastic read. The delivery was superb. Keep it up and keep em coming.

Again, thanks a lot
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 27, 2014
teemy:

I have always believed subsidy would go based on the large level of govt. spending and running that has not been reduced over the years. Now that the oil is not as reliable as before the eyes of the nation has been opened to reality. Only this time other markets we should have been headliners in have been taken over by nations that planned for their children's children. It is not [b]too [/b]late however but [b]much [/b]ground has been lost in sustaining the future of the largest black population on the globe.
subsidy here subsidy there, am just tired of this ineptitude. The govt should take from the reserve and build new refineries and these refineries can later be sold to private investors for effective management. Oil subsidy should only exist in nations that have no oil. Why subsidise something you have absolute and comparative advantage over others in your own country? Build refineries and fix domestic oil prices that reflects the daily well being of the citizens devoid of world market fluctuations. Oil subsidy is a scam used by the Nigerian govt to milk the nation dry. more than 20% of Nigerian politicians have refineries abroad, why is building one here a daunting task for them?
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Toosure70: 8:35pm On Nov 27, 2014
Nigeria is a prodigal nation
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by podosci(m): 8:36pm On Nov 27, 2014
[quote author=nijanigga post=28400686]
old news, oil for $78/barrel. It's now < $69/barrel.
http://fortune.com/2014/11/27/oil-prices-in-freefall-as-opec-fails-to-agree-output-cut/?xid=yahoo_fortune[/quote
bad news for Nigeria oooo
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by arsetalks(m): 8:39pm On Nov 27, 2014
The annoying thing about this whole thing is the fact that when a barrel of oil was $168, the value of naira never went up but it is coming down when value of a barrel of oil crashed.

It shows one thing, GEJ and his administration are corrupt bastards hell bent on ruining the economy.
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by dustydee: 8:42pm On Nov 27, 2014
abeltolu:

In the currency market, exchange rates are often centered on the health of a country’s economy. When the economy of a country is strong, its currency is also strong in the foreign exchange market. When the economy appears to be weak, its currency loses value in the currency exchange rate. Nigeria’s dependent on oil, so when oil prices are weak, so our currency loses value in the foreign exchange market.

Good one. I don't quite agree with the highlighted part. Can economists please explain why the Japanese Yen is not as strong as the Canadian Dollar or the UK pound and Japan has a stronger economy? Except if by "strong in foreign exchange market" the writer meant the currency is widely acceptable internationally.
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by laoma15(m): 8:42pm On Nov 27, 2014
This is a fantastic write up. Thank you very much guy.

What you have omitted however is that while the price of the crude oil was hitting the ceiling in the international market, our leaders were busy looting and enriching themselves.

Those are the times we should have fix our energy problems, built more infrastructures like Dubai did.

There was no any significant benefits that accrued to common men during the time of surplus.

But now that there is trouble, common men bears the brunt.

More reason why Nigerians needs to call their corrupt leaders into order and learn to demand for accountability from their leaders.

This definitely is not an act of God and not a time for fasting and prayers and attending vigils. Because i know that Nigerians spiritualises everything.

The leaders are messing up with people's destiny and destroying lifes with their corrupt attitudes. Something need to be done about this. The masses definitely deserves more better life.

I rest my case.

8 Likes

Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Mentlee: 8:45pm On Nov 27, 2014
Our law makers need to learn a thing or two from this. They're always the ones increasing the oil benchmark so that they can have enough to share. Bleeding the common Nigerians so that they always remain fat. Talk about ANIMAL FARM. The pigs must get their eggs and milk to be able to think for the remaining members of the farm. Nigeria can never learn. SHAME!
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Keluong(m): 8:45pm On Nov 27, 2014
[b] pls, this part is not clear to me

CRR stands for Cash Reserve Ratio. It’s the
proportion of what a bank can lend, to what it
has in its coffers. So if the bank has N1000 and
its ratio is 50%, can only use 50% of that money
(N500) for business. Given that awon banks do
not mess around with profit making, they will
make sure that N500 brings back maximum
profit. Banks are like the servant in Jesus’
parable that got 10 talents from his master, not
the lazy one that got 1 talent. So to make max
profit off the N500, they will raise interest rate if
you want to borrow their money.
MPR stands for Monetary Policy Rate. The
Central Bank uses the MPR to control base
interest rate. The higher the rate, the less money
in circulation. How? If interest rate is higher, will
you borrow money from the bank knowing that
you’ll pay much more later on? Nope. Instead,
you’ll take your money from your pocket and
give it to the bank, so they’ll make you more
money.
Are you saying that if the CRR is incresed, ie if the lending percentage is increased, there will be increased lending rate? Isn't it when there is reduced amount to be lent, thhat there will ve eventually higher lending rate?
Someone should please explain the MPR also for me. I don't seem to get this explanation.[/b]
Re: The Bricklayer’s Explanation To Oil Price Fall, Naira Devaluation & Everything by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 27, 2014
arsetalks:
The annoying thing about this whole thing is the fact that when a barrel of oil was $168, the value of naira never went up but it is coming down when value of a barrel of oil crashed.

It shows one thing, GEJ and his administration are corrupt bastards hell bent on ruining the economy.
you truly understand the problem with Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar / Tycoons Who Won't Leave Their Fortunes To Their Kids / Exchange Rate As Of Today, July 1st

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.