Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,268 members, 7,780,603 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:23 PM

Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note (52109 Views)

Meet The Woman At The Back Of N20 Note. / Ladi Kwali:the Woman On The N20 Note / Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by fatdon2(m): 5:47am On Nov 28, 2014
[img]http://3.bp..com/_KOq6AlodkJI/TJyDtPxhhpI/AAAAAAAAC2s/EMAA2TWQH0M/s1600/ladi+kwali.jpg[/img]

Nigeria's best known potter who was awarded a Doctorate and was made MBE in 1963 for the level of detail and skill she utilized while making her pots.

Ladi Dosei Kwali (1925-1983) popularly known as Dr Ladi Kwali was born in 1925 in Kwali town in the present Federal Capital Territory, Abuja,Nigeria.

Probably she is the best known of the Abuja potters. Making pots was women’s work in Kwali and the entire Gwari villages, therefore Ladi came to Abuja (the then Suleja) with knowledge of traditional Gwari pottery.

She did not at first take to the idea of using wheels and kilns and the other paraphernalia of the European potter, but proved to have a natural ability to throw. She was picked from her traditional home Kwali to the then Abuja the present Suleja because of her natural ability in making pots.

The Abuja Pottery Training Centre was established 1950 by an English potter, Michael Cardew, who was sent to the Abuja area by the then colonial government, ostensibly to improve the quality of local work. But he found himself, for the next 15 years, in a symbiotic working relationship with local potters, in which he taught and was taught by potters like Ladi Kwali.

While Cardew introduced wheels and kilns to the centre, he also learnt about traditional firing methods and ornamentation. Kwali on the other hand, was initially reluctant to adapt to the wheel, preferring the spiralled coil method of building pots. She however, discovered she had a natural flair for the wheel. Cardew encouraged her to decorate her work, something she had not done before, and he even fired some of her traditional work in the Abuja kiln.

Ladi was later to become a very popular member of the touring lecture team; her easy nature and ability to communicate made her well liked and appreciated in Europe, Britain and America. She became Nigeria’s best known potter and has been honoured in many ways; she was given a doctorate.

Kwali with Cardew
Credits: www.newsrepublic.com

By the time she died in 1983, Dr Ladi Kwali was Nigeria’s best known potter. She left a rich legacy of her work and a school of ‘students’ who picked up from where she left at the Abuja Pottery Training Centre. Over the next decade, her ornamentation skills
became more sophisticated, and probably because of improved firing methods, she had the opportunity to
exhibit her work in Europe in 1958, 1959 and 1962.

Her pottery was also displayed during Nigeria’s independence celebrations in 1960. Dr Ladi Kwali remained associated with the Abuja pottery works till she died. She gave lectures and demonstrations at home and abroad on her craft throughout her career.

Credits: http://img.antiquesreporter.com.au/

Source: www.kwalilobwoiunion.org/dr-ladi-kwali/

115 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by sammyyoung2(m): 5:59am On Nov 28, 2014
She's a true hero......God bless her much

Besides.....

Gej till we get common sense

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by makazona(m): 6:02am On Nov 28, 2014
#creativity pays

*edited*
our historians still have a lot to do.
STC abi...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Nobody: 6:22am On Nov 28, 2014
How come we didn't know this all this time? So not fair!
Nigeria historians have so not done us fair.

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by fatdon2(m): 6:25am On Nov 28, 2014
And i have always been thinking its
just a picture without any strong
signicance. Great lesson i have just learnt stand out in any of your
choosen endeavour and you will be
honoured.

108 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by emperorchedda(m): 6:32am On Nov 28, 2014
I'm definitely saving this!

These are the information we should be getting in primary school and not 'miss world'

99 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by LegatusGlaber(m): 6:35am On Nov 28, 2014
Seeth thou any man diligent in his works, he will stand before kings and queens, he will not stand before any mean man

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Kunleskey(m): 6:36am On Nov 28, 2014
Wao! This is real thinking maybe she is just an art work...let me re..check my #20 Note..

8 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by link2ok(m): 6:48am On Nov 28, 2014
Thnks to Nairaland

Long live seun
Long live Nairalanders
Long live Nigeria

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Amastermovic(m): 6:49am On Nov 28, 2014
Na my grandma be dat nw

AFTER ABT A WK this post jez made fp verybadt

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by macpetrus(m): 6:53am On Nov 28, 2014
Wow grin
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by martyns303(m): 6:56am On Nov 28, 2014
Edited*

Apparently it was a "motivational image".

3 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by shaggy007(m): 6:59am On Nov 28, 2014
That was when we were smart.

If it was now, it would have been the picture of one of the most corrupt politician that ever liveth.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by wheesin(m): 7:06am On Nov 28, 2014
martyns303:
Can you imagine a potter being honored with such prestige. A potter? In the US u will have the face Of Benjamin Franklin, UK has the face of the Queen, SA the face of Mandela, India the face of Ghandi. People of National and International recognition that contributed immensely to a positive change in their respective countries, but since Nigeria has not been capable of producing people of such esteem, we have a potter.

People need to stop running abroad, Nigeria is where things happen, where the impossible becomes people. Where
A farmer and ex convict is made president
A shoeless man is made president
$20 Billion vanishes ( imagine if only $1 billion appears in ur account )
7 is greater than 14, ( law of maths doesn't apply, u can turn 1 into 100000 )

Endless opportunities, add urs.

dude are u for real at all...you call her just a potter...who has been awarded several times enough to spell ur name. You even made ursef look foolish by mentioning people that u find great, the queen of england..hw has she helped ur life..by making u believe nothing good can emerge from a black sheep like u..mtchew

131 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by martyns303(m): 7:26am On Nov 28, 2014
wheesin:

dude are u for real at all...you call her just a potter...who has been awarded several times enough to spell ur name. You even made ursef look foolish by mentioning people that u find great, the queen of england..hw has she helped ur life..by making u believe nothing good can emerge from a black sheep like u..mtchew

Wow! soo many awards to spell my name, lets have the face of Albert Einstein on a currency then, No? How about Chinua Achebe, maybe Wole Soyinka? Since awards are the basis for being immortalised on a currency, how did her achievements impact Nigeria as a Nation? Am sure u will have to think for a very long time since 95% of the people above don't even know who she is, irrespective of the fact that she has been on the N20 note for decades, someone even thought she was just a painting (to put it more harshly, that's how insignificant her achievements are, that no one remembers her).

But then even a 10yr old would recognize Mandela, Ghandi and the Queen, Nigeria lacks people of such reputation. (Bite me if you want). I would rather have the face of an unknown soldier who fought the Biafran war to keep Nigeria an independent and single nation.

And stop cursing, it doesnt tell well of u.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by timawoku(m): 7:36am On Nov 28, 2014
martyns303:

Wow! soo many awards to spell my name, lets have the face of Albert Einstein on a currency then, No? How about Chinua Achebe, maybe Wole Soyinka? Since awards are the basis for being immortalised on a currency, how did her achievements impact Nigeria as a Nation? Am sure u will have to think for a very long time since 95% of the people above don't even know who she is, irrespective of the fact that she has been on the N20 note for decades, someone even thought she was just a painting (to put it more harshly, that's how insignificant her achievements are, that no one remembers her).

But then even a 10yr old would recognize Mandela, Ghandi and the Queen, Nigeria lacks people of such reputation. (Bite me if you want). I would rather have the face of an unknown soldier who fought the Biafran war to keep Nigeria an independent and single nation.

you just don't get it do you? It simply means hardwork pays, do your best and be the best in whatever you do, its a motivation picture, if you don't get it,pls don't quote me.

78 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by martyns303(m): 7:42am On Nov 28, 2014
timawoku:
you just don't get it do you? It simply means hardwork pays, do your best and be the best in whatever you do, its a motivation picture, if you don't get it.

That would make more sense to me, than someone saying she got recognized for bagging awards.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Nobody: 7:59am On Nov 28, 2014
martyns303:

WHAT GREAT THING HAVE U DONE IN UR LIFEMAYBE WHEN U DO SOMETHING GREAT THE NIGERIAN GOVT MIGHT CONSIDERT PUTTING UR FACE ON THE 10 KOBO COIN tongue
THE WOMAN IS CONSIDERED AN ICON IN THE WORLD OF POTTERY,THAT ALONE MAKES HER GREAT cool

AND WHO TOLD MANY NIGERIANS DO NOT KNOW HERANYONE WHO IS AWARE OF NIGERIAN ARTS WILL
KNOW WHO SHE IS.HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS WOMAN SINCE I WAS IN SEC SCHOOL cool

BY THE WAY IF U STILL THINK SHE DOSEN'T DESERVE IT.FEEL FREE TO PRINT UR OWN MONEY AND PUT WHOEVER'S FACE U WANT THERE gringringrin

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Nobody: 7:59am On Nov 28, 2014
wheesin:

What do you expect from the black sheep it's black Friday.....lol

8 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Oahray: 8:01am On Nov 28, 2014
Wow... Never gave the pic on the note more than occasional casual glances. Nice.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by JustCurious: 8:03am On Nov 28, 2014
*modified*
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Lilimax(f): 8:05am On Nov 28, 2014
She was a great sculptor.
Her likes may be just be few or even no more in Nigeria due modernization
and industrialization. undecided
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by SeverusSnape(m): 8:08am On Nov 28, 2014
I've known this since my secondary school days...Thanks though. Hope the French students knows about her?

2 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by timawoku(m): 8:09am On Nov 28, 2014
martyns303:

That would make more sense to me, than someone saying she got recognized for bagging awards.
thanks for your objectivity
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by JustCurious: 8:13am On Nov 28, 2014
martyns303:

Insignificant? Smh.

Father, please forgive him for he knows not what he says. * undecided

Nigeria does not lack people of reputation. What we lack is a re-connect with our history. An average American knows so much about their Country, History, but not an African Child. This got so much to do with our education system. Please, do ask an average Nigerian student about their State of Origin. You'd be amazed that they know nothing about it. So, don't be surprised if 'we' know little about this woman in our currency.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Nobody: 8:14am On Nov 28, 2014
She's an Iconic figure in our history, Especially here in France where she was selling Akara..

She's truly an African

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by martyns303(m): 8:14am On Nov 28, 2014
dhammyg:

WHAT GREAT THING HAVE U DONE IN UR LIFEMAYBE WHEN U DO SOMETHING GREAT THE NIGERIAN GOVT MIGHT CONSIDERT PUTTING UR FACE ON THE 10 KOBO COIN tongue
THE WOMAN IS CONSIDERED AN ICON IN THE WORLD OF POTTERY,THAT ALONE MAKES HER GREAT cool

AND WHO TOLD MANY NIGERIANS DO NOT KNOW HERANYONE WHO IS AWARE OF NIGERIAN ARTS WILL
KNOW WHO SHE IS.HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS WOMAN SINCE I WAS IN SEC SCHOOL cool

BY THE WAY IF U STILL THINK SHE DOSEN'T DESERVE IT.FEEL FREE TO PRINT UR OWN MONEY AND PUT WHOEVER'S FACE U WANT THERE gringringrin

Apparently u came out with the intention of being abusive.

She was good at pottery, Soyinka was good at Literature.

What good have I done? I was able to take ur family out of the village and give u a proper home, in which ur taking that pics right now in ur profile, but u folks can't even keep a home clean. Ur NOT IN THE VILLAGE ANYMORE.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Demallcrazy(m): 8:15am On Nov 28, 2014
SeverusSnape:
I've known this since my secondary school days...Thanks though. Hope the French students knows about her?
Oola dala cabiera da la Nigeriana de la cabiera la Toluca Mexicano undecided

*Translation tinz* grin

U ppl know her in Nigeria buh we don't in Toluca Mexico undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 28, 2014
Hajiya (Dr.) Hadiza Ladi Kwali was born in 1925 in a village in Kwali area populated by the Gwari (Gbagyi) people of Northern Nigeria. She grew up in a family in which the womenfolk made pots for a living, and worked with her aunt as an apprentice in pottery. By the time of her death, Dr Ladi Kwali was Nigeria’s best known potter. She left a rich legacy of her work and a sizeable number of apprentices who picked up from where she left at the Abuja Pottery Training Centre.

With the amazing way in which she handles clay, she produces pots with spectacular beauty in form and decoration. The splendor of her pottery attracted the Emir of Abuja who acquired and kept in his palace, a collection of her works. In 1950, these collections were seen and admired by an English potter, Michael Cardew who was sent to the Abuja area – apparently on a mission to improve the quality of local work there – by the then colonial government. He established the Abuja Pottery Training Centre in that year and stayed there for the next 15 years, working with local potters, as he taught and was taught the art of pottery in a symbiotic learning relationship – he introduced wheels and kilns to the Centre, and he learn about traditional firing methods and ornamentation from the local potters.

Dr. Kwali’s contact with Michael Cardew in 1954 was the turning point in her pottery career. Cardew introduced her to his Abuja Pottery Training Centre – which was exclusive to women potters – where she learned to throw pots on the wheel. Dr. Kwali was initially reluctant to adapt to the wheel, preferring the traditional spiraled coil method of building pots. But she later discovered her natural flair for the wheel; she learns and moved on. She became an authority in pottery, combining the Western and traditional methods of making pots to produce dishes, bowls and beakers with graffito decoration. Most of these were glazed and fired in a high-temperature kiln and therefore denote an interesting hybrid representing a fascinating mixture of both traditional African and Western studio pottery. On his part, Cardew learn about the traditional firing methods and ornamentation from Kwali who was glad to teach her teacher.

Over the span of a decade, the mixture of improved firing methods, wheel and kiln technology, and Dr. Kwali’s sophistication in ornamentation skills; her works became known in Europe, Britain and America. They were displayed on exhibitions in Europe in 1958, ‘59 and 1962 to great acclaim in London at the Berkeley Galleries. In 1960, her works in pottery were displayed at The Nigerian Independence Day. She was awarded OON (Officer of the Order of the Niger), and an Honorary Doctorate degree by Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. In 1963, she was decorated with the honor of OBE (Officer of the order of the British Empire) by the British Government in recognition of her being a worthy and renowned representative of Africa’s rich heritage in pottery.

Today, some of her pots decorated with incised geometric and schematic figurative patterns are used for cooking and water storage. While some traditionalists use her pot as religious symbols.

Dr. Ladi Kwali remained associated with the Abuja pottery works until her death. And despite her lack of formal Western education and inability to communicate in English language, Dr. Kwali was able to give lectures (through interpreters) and make physical demonstrations – at home and in many European and American institutes as guest lecturer – on how she improved her traditional pot making skills to a world-class standard. The Abuja Pottery was renamed the Ladi Kwali Pottery and her name is immortalized on a major street in Abuja; while a conference hall in the Abuja Sheraton hotel was named in her honor.

Someone describe her as “a replica who epitomized what womanhood is all about”. She was creative, innovative, resourceful, and hard working. Her dedication and commitment were the keys she used to unlock her life of distinction. She was the local scarf who never allowed her lack of formal Western education constrict her from attaining greatness in life.

Shortly after Cardew’s death in 1983, Dr. Kwali died in Minna on 12th August, 1984 at the age of 59. She was married but had no child as at the time of her death. Many of her students of pottery took over and continued the art of pottery at the Abuja Pottery Training Center after her demise.

She remains the only Nigerian woman whose picture is printed on the Naira note – a photo showing Dr. Ladi Kwali seated as she engaged in the delicate craft of pottery is displayed at the back N20 note. Although this recognition of Dr. Kwali’s great works of arts and pottery by the Nigerian government is commendable, more have to be done in view of her celebrated invaluable contributions to the world of ceramics arts, ingenuity and the symbolic inspiration she gave to the womenfolk to pursue hard work, creativity, self-reliance and economic independence. In view of this therefore, the picture of this great lady should be moved to the front of the Naira currency – from the current back position – as is the case with the photos of the Nigeria’s founding fathers. In fact, the picture of Dr. Hadiza Ladi Kwali should either be placed by the side of Alhaji Mai Bornu and Dr Clement Isong images or take over the space that is currently occupied by the pictures of the two gentlemen on N1,000 note.

Furthermore, a day should be set aside in the national arts and culture calendar which is to be dedicated for the celebration of Dr Ladi Kwali’s works of arts, her pottery craft as well as the Black African heritage in ceramics arts; where exhibitions will be made and papers will be presented by professionals.

What a great woman! The ambassador of Black African arts; a creative potter of international repute, a role model and source of inspiration for the womenfolk! The world of art and the craft of pottery will continue to draw reference from the great works of Dr. Ladi Kwali, and generations after generations of potters will be inspired by her sheer creativity, dedication and hard work which were the hallmark of her greatness.

May God have mercy on her soul and grant her eternal rest.

[size=14pt] . . . . . . . . . .HONOR TO WHOM HONOR IS DUE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS WOMAN . . . . . . . . . . .LEGEND!!!![/size]
[img]http://.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/15-LADI-KWALI-NIGERIA-MOST-FAMOUS-POTTER.jpg[/img]

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 28, 2014
Ladi Kwali is and will remain the pride of Abuja indigines.

2 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Firmjudge(m): 8:27am On Nov 28, 2014
Amastermovic:
Na my grandma be dat nw
lols i believe you are joking right.?
Because she never had a child..

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do You Know Sarah Baartman? The Black Woman Who Died Because Of Her Sexy Body / Oore Of Mobaland: Only Person Who's Qualified To Break The News Of Ooni's Death / Buhari’s Son, Yusuf Bags Traditional Title In Daura

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.