Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,796 members, 7,806,202 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note (52224 Views)

Meet The Woman At The Back Of N20 Note. / Ladi Kwali:the Woman On The N20 Note / Ladi Kwali, Nigeria's Famous Potter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Nobody: 6:31am On Nov 30, 2014
Thanks for the info. Knowledge is power
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by foliman(m): 6:39am On Nov 30, 2014
goofyone:
How come we didn't know this all this time? So not fair!
Nigeria historians have so not done us fair.
shooo... never heard of her,
what planet is urs?
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by tpiah2: 6:40am On Nov 30, 2014
Sammy107d:
Question is.. what happened to that school in Abuja?

Probably about to receive funds.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by ojeffo: 6:44am On Nov 30, 2014
goofyone:
Why wait 4 historians. ..wat happened to the reading culture..read read read my children REAAAD!!!
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Appswheel(m): 6:44am On Nov 30, 2014
amazing
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 6:51am On Nov 30, 2014
torkaka:
Hajiya (Dr.) Hadiza Ladi Kwali was born in 1925 in a village in Kwali area populated by the Gwari (Gbagyi) people of Northern Nigeria. She grew up in a family in which the womenfolk made pots for a living, and worked with her aunt as an apprentice in pottery. By the time of her death, Dr Ladi Kwali was Nigeria’s best known potter. She left a rich legacy of her work and a sizeable number of apprentices who picked up from where she left at the Abuja Pottery Training Centre.

With the amazing way in which she handles clay, she produces pots with spectacular beauty in form and decoration. The splendor of her pottery attracted the Emir of Abuja who acquired and kept in his palace, a collection of her works. In 1950, these collections were seen and admired by an English potter, Michael Cardew who was sent to the Abuja area – apparently on a mission to improve the quality of local work there – by the then colonial government. He established the Abuja Pottery Training Centre in that year and stayed there for the next 15 years, working with local potters, as he taught and was taught the art of pottery in a symbiotic learning relationship – he introduced wheels and kilns to the Centre, and he learn about traditional firing methods and ornamentation from the local potters.

Dr. Kwali’s contact with Michael Cardew in 1954 was the turning point in her pottery career. Cardew introduced her to his Abuja Pottery Training Centre – which was exclusive to women potters – where she learned to throw pots on the wheel. Dr. Kwali was initially reluctant to adapt to the wheel, preferring the traditional spiraled coil method of building pots. But she later discovered her natural flair for the wheel; she learns and moved on. She became an authority in pottery, combining the Western and traditional methods of making pots to produce dishes, bowls and beakers with graffito decoration. Most of these were glazed and fired in a high-temperature kiln and therefore denote an interesting hybrid representing a fascinating mixture of both traditional African and Western studio pottery. On his part, Cardew learn about the traditional firing methods and ornamentation from Kwali who was glad to teach her teacher.

Over the span of a decade, the mixture of improved firing methods, wheel and kiln technology, and Dr. Kwali’s sophistication in ornamentation skills; her works became known in Europe, Britain and America. They were displayed on exhibitions in Europe in 1958, ‘59 and 1962 to great acclaim in London at the Berkeley Galleries. In 1960, her works in pottery were displayed at The Nigerian Independence Day. She was awarded OON (Officer of the Order of the Niger), and an Honorary Doctorate degree by Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. In 1963, she was decorated with the honor of OBE (Officer of the order of the British Empire) by the British Government in recognition of her being a worthy and renowned representative of Africa’s rich heritage in pottery.

Today, some of her pots decorated with incised geometric and schematic figurative patterns are used for cooking and water storage. While some traditionalists use her pot as religious symbols.

Dr. Ladi Kwali remained associated with the Abuja pottery works until her death. And despite her lack of formal Western education and inability to communicate in English language, Dr. Kwali was able to give lectures (through interpreters) and make physical demonstrations – at home and in many European and American institutes as guest lecturer – on how she improved her traditional pot making skills to a world-class standard. The Abuja Pottery was renamed the Ladi Kwali Pottery and her name is immortalized on a major street in Abuja; while a conference hall in the Abuja Sheraton hotel was named in her honor.

Someone describe her as “a replica who epitomized what womanhood is all about”. She was creative, innovative, resourceful, and hard working. Her dedication and commitment were the keys she used to unlock her life of distinction. She was the local scarf who never allowed her lack of formal Western education constrict her from attaining greatness in life.

Shortly after Cardew’s death in 1983, Dr. Kwali died in Minna on 12th August, 1984 at the age of 59. She was married but had no child as at the time of her death. Many of her students of pottery took over and continued the art of pottery at the Abuja Pottery Training Center after her demise.

She remains the only Nigerian woman whose picture is printed on the Naira note – a photo showing Dr. Ladi Kwali seated as she engaged in the delicate craft of pottery is displayed at the back N20 note. Although this recognition of Dr. Kwali’s great works of arts and pottery by the Nigerian government is commendable, more have to be done in view of her celebrated invaluable contributions to the world of ceramics arts, ingenuity and the symbolic inspiration she gave to the womenfolk to pursue hard work, creativity, self-reliance and economic independence. In view of this therefore, the picture of this great lady should be moved to the front of the Naira currency – from the current back position – as is the case with the photos of the Nigeria’s founding fathers. In fact, the picture of Dr. Hadiza Ladi Kwali should either be placed by the side of Alhaji Mai Bornu and Dr Clement Isong images or take over the space that is currently occupied by the pictures of the two gentlemen on N1,000 note.

Furthermore, a day should be set aside in the national arts and culture calendar which is to be dedicated for the celebration of Dr Ladi Kwali’s works of arts, her pottery craft as well as the Black African heritage in ceramics arts; where exhibitions will be made and papers will be presented by professionals.

What a great woman! The ambassador of Black African arts; a creative potter of international repute, a role model and source of inspiration for the womenfolk! The world of art and the craft of pottery will continue to draw reference from the great works of Dr. Ladi Kwali, and generations after generations of potters will be inspired by her sheer creativity, dedication and hard work which were the hallmark of her greatness.

May God have mercy on her soul and grant her eternal rest.

[size=14pt] . . . . . . . . . .HONOR TO WHOM HONOR IS DUE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS WOMAN . . . . . . . . . . .LEGEND!!!![/size]
[img]http://.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/15-LADI-KWALI-NIGERIA-MOST-FAMOUS-POTTER.jpg[/IMG]
who. ack now Story teller
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by AMADU77: 7:04am On Nov 30, 2014
goofyone:

bcs u ppl hv forgot ur heros n history n getting busy wt shitttyyy politician n musician

no wonder y everytin is going backward
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by winbyforce: 7:08am On Nov 30, 2014
torkaka:
[img]http://4.bp..com/--QIsmgQrthU/UZ2bR6FNIZI/AAAAAAAABms/us6oEXsjwGE/s1600/%253D%253Futf-8%253FB%253FOC1MQURJLUtXQUxJLU5JR0VSSUEtTU9TVC1GQU1PVVMtUE9UVEVSLUhPV0FSRC1VTklWRVJTSVRZLmpwZw%253D%253D%253F%253D-799199[/img]
''Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before obscure men'' - Proverbs 22:29.
When I remember Naija of yesteryears, water run away me eye o cry cry cry.... Most of us just want instant success these days.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by bigiyaro(m): 7:12am On Nov 30, 2014
Nigeria nearly did the right tin for once. It would have been the exact right tin if she were on the #50
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Appswheel(m): 7:20am On Nov 30, 2014
martyns303:

Wow! soo many awards to spell my name, lets have the face of Albert Einstein on a currency then, No? How about Chinua Achebe, maybe Wole Soyinka? Since awards are the basis for being immortalised on a currency, how did her achievements impact Nigeria as a Nation? Am sure u will have to think for a very long time since 95% of the people above don't even know who she is, irrespective of the fact that she has been on the N20 note for decades, someone even thought she was just a painting (to put it more harshly, that's how insignificant her achievements are, that no one remembers her).

But then even a 10yr old would recognize Mandela, Ghandi and the Queen, Nigeria lacks people of such reputation. (Bite me if you want). I would rather have the face of an unknown soldier who fought the Biafran war to keep Nigeria an independent and single nation.

And stop cursing, it doesnt tell well of u.

Oga martin you have displayed ignorance in this post whose fault is it you do not know Ladi Kwali? She died in 80s probably before your parents got married. Whose fault is that you do not read, know history? I was born in 1987, I read abt Ladi in my primary school.

Your emphasis on soyinka, achebe, queen tells me you have no understanding of this post and lack depth in the thoughts that birth your comments.

What could be seen as ordinary a woman made extraordinary, noble and beautiful. you asked how she has impacted on lives? In many ways, if only you will think. She took many people off the sstreet and put food on their tables, taught them a craft and made the professiion noble. Here we talk about a woman who blazed a trail. her use of a resource in her locality shoot herr to limelight- you call that a mean feat martin? you sound like a comedian.

Her achievements stand tall in the light of comparism you try to make - albert einstein, mandela and the likes. They will be proud of her achievements.

In this post I learnt about adaptability, she learnt to use the wheels many of us dont adapt. therer are people who know how to use the typewwriter but fail to learn to use the computerr.

Thank you Ladi for blessing our world with your creativity, thank you for transfering your knowledge, thank you for putting Nigeria on the world map for pottery, thank you for teaching an important lesson - wwhatever you do, do it well, thank you for creating jobs forr many Nigerians who might have died of hunger or turn to arm robbery and prostitution.

LONG LIVE LADI KWALI, YOU ARE NOT DEAD! BUT ALIVE IN MANY HOMES. VILLAGES, TOWNS, CITIES all oover the world. people who add extra to ordinary do not die.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by kenex4ever(m): 7:24am On Nov 30, 2014
martyns303:

Wow! soo many awards to spell my name, lets have the face of Albert Einstein on a currency then, No? How about Chinua Achebe, maybe Wole Soyinka? Since awards are the basis for being immortalised on a currency, how did her achievements impact Nigeria as a Nation? Am sure u will have to think for a very long time since 95% of the people above don't even know who she is, irrespective of the fact that she has been on the N20 note for decades, someone even thought she was just a painting (to put it more harshly, that's how insignificant her achievements are, that no one remembers her).

But then even a 10yr old would recognize Mandela, Ghandi and the Queen, Nigeria lacks people of such reputation. (Bite me if you want). I would rather have the face of an unknown soldier who fought the Biafran war to keep Nigeria an independent and single nation.

And stop cursing, it doesnt tell well of u.
bro calm down. I love d fact dat dey put dat woman on dat naira note, in fact dey should put more of such people's face on our money. They dnt need to put an already very popular leader there (eg mandela, obasanjo, queen of ...) instead they should put people like dat potter woman, people dat designed d coat of arm, national flag, person d won d first olympic gold medal, soldiers dat died defending us, prof dora akunyili,chinua achebe, fela kuty, ken saro wiwa, etc. And bro, it's very good dat dat woman isn't popular because dat is what will make it very interesting when u finally read her/ his story.

1 Like

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by kenex4ever(m): 7:29am On Nov 30, 2014
Firmjudge:

Because she never had a child..
u see, dats d more reason she deserves to b on dat naira note.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by jimmy101231(m): 7:31am On Nov 30, 2014
timawoku:
you just don't get it do you? It simply means hardwork pays, do your best and be the best in whatever you do, its a motivation picture, if you don't get it,pls don't quote me.
. It shows how harder the woman works if I'm not mistaking she was giving honorary Phd in Pot she try oooo...she worth it
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by ireneony(f): 7:33am On Nov 30, 2014
she is a legend
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by ireneony(f): 7:33am On Nov 30, 2014
wow...she is a legend
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Reference(m): 7:39am On Nov 30, 2014
goofyone:

Nigerians are just interested in the currency notes not in the people depicted on them most of whom died not particularly wealthy. Her legacy will live on. In saner societies her pieces will adorn the galleries of the movers and shakers earning wealth for her dependants for generations to come assuaging the sacrifices they will have made in her lifetime. Life shoukd be fairer to the seed of these icons.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by natureblack(m): 7:43am On Nov 30, 2014
LajaLaba:
Cool down u aren't making any sense lipsrsealed
he made a lot of sense.......

That lady's environment looks very dirty,and that tells a lot about her.Learn to call a spade by its name. angry
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:53am On Nov 30, 2014
sheddo619:
it all depends on the school u attended though I was told dis by my fineart teacher in jss class

Abi o.

I know the story.....

Because I schooled in Kwali......

Not in France.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:55am On Nov 30, 2014
natureblack:
he made a lot of sense.......

That lady's environment looks very dirty,and that tells a lot about her.Learn to call a spade by its name. angry

A clean potter is a bad potter.
If pessin wey dey make pot get clean shop.....
No customer be dat!

3 Likes

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Ishilove: 8:07am On Nov 30, 2014
Jeezuzpick:

No customer be dat!
Tell him
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by orits2014: 8:12am On Nov 30, 2014
smoothsk:

What do you expect from the black sheep it's black Friday.....lol

Lol
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by martyns303(m): 8:12am On Nov 30, 2014
Appswheel:

Oga martin you have displayed ignorance in this post whose fault is it you do not know Ladi Kwali? She died in 80s probably before your parents got married. Whose fault is that you do not read, know history? I was born in 1987, I read abt Ladi in my primary school.

Your emphasis on soyinka, achebe, queen tells me you have no understanding of this post and lack depth in the thoughts that birth your comments.

What could be seen as ordinary a woman made extraordinary, noble and beautiful. you asked how she has impacted on lives? In many ways, if only you will think. She took many people off the sstreet and put food on their tables, taught them a craft and made the professiion noble. Here we talk about a woman who blazed a trail. her use of a resource in her locality shoot herr to limelight- you call that a mean feat martin? you sound like a comedian.

Her achievements stand tall in the light of comparism you try to make - albert einstein, mandela and the likes. They will be proud of her achievements.

In this post I learnt about adaptability, she learnt to use the wheels many of us dont adapt. therer are people who know how to use the typewwriter but fail to learn to use the computerr.

Thank you Ladi for blessing our world with your creativity, thank you for transfering your knowledge, thank you for putting Nigeria on the world map for pottery, thank you for teaching an important lesson - wwhatever you do, do it well, thank you for creating jobs forr many Nigerians who might have died of hunger or turn to arm robbery and prostitution.

LONG LIVE LADI KWALI, YOU ARE NOT DIED! BUT ALIVE IN MANY HOMES. VILLAGES, TOWNS, CITIES all oover the world. people who add extra to ordinary do not die.

Ain't it ironic that u called me ignorant but did just the same thing on ur first paragraph?

I am not here to measure d$(k size with u, unfortunately I am among those that dont remember jack about her, unlike u that knows her from primary school, which means the rest of us don't read, neither do we know our history. Goodluck on ur greatest achievement of knowing this great potter Kwali.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by drkay003: 8:12am On Nov 30, 2014

Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by olu4life(m): 8:16am On Nov 30, 2014
Jeezuzpick:

No customer be dat!
Thank u o... Tell them
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by abbakacici: 8:17am On Nov 30, 2014
wheesin:

dude are u for real at all...you call her just a potter...who has been awarded several times enough to spell ur name. You even made ursef look foolish by mentioning people that u find great, the queen of england..hw has she helped ur life..by making u believe nothing good can emerge from a black sheep like u..mtchew
and N 20 has the Murtala in the front while Ladi in the back which is what most countries do, e,g UK has the queen in the front while a national icon at the back
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Michmat(m): 8:18am On Nov 30, 2014
Hmmmm. Now i know.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by olu4life(m): 8:19am On Nov 30, 2014
martyns303:

Ain't it ironic that u called me ignorant but did just the same thing on ur first paragraph?

I am not here to measure d!ck size with u, unfortunately I am among those didn't remember jack about her, unlike u that knows her from primary school, which means we don't read, neither do we know our history. Goodluck on ur greatest achievement of knowing this great potter Kwali.
Can u put on ur thinking cap for once?! How dare u compare her time when technology was yet to take effect in Nigeria to NOW... Didn't want to reply u but dude u are so damn dull... U should have considered a lot of factors before placing that statement. All this children of nowadays self...
U beta don't quote me cos i wont reply u.just digest it. Have a nice day wink
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by engrkaz(m): 8:21am On Nov 30, 2014
Lilimax:
She was a great sculptor. undecided
No, she was a potter.....as in China clay, ball clay, kaolin, throwing wheel, firing kiln. Not chisel and wet iroko....OK?
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Charbless(m): 8:21am On Nov 30, 2014
OMG!!! Thank God for Nairaland ooh, If not for it I wouldn't have known who Ladi kwali is! "Feeling Excited"
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by martyns303(m): 8:23am On Nov 30, 2014
olu4life:

Can u put on ur thinking cap for once?! How dare u compare her time when technology was yet to take effect in Nigeria to NOW... Didn't want to reply u but dude u are so damn dull... U should have considered a lot of factors before placing that statement. All this children of nowadays self...
U beta don't quote me cos i wont reply u.just digest it. Have a nice day wink

Am glad I could give u something to talk about. Now STFU and go take care of that baby. What has technology got to do with what we are saying here? Olodo trying to sound knowledged.
Re: Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note by Janet101(f): 8:41am On Nov 30, 2014
Very informative, Lord! pls use me, am jealous of dis woman's records..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Olu Of Warri Installs Chief Oma Eyewuoma As New Ologbotsere In Warri Kingdom / Top Igbo Gospel Band In Between 1980s And Early 90's / Oore Of Mobaland: Only Person Who's Qualified To Break The News Of Ooni's Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.